Colbert Corden Time Slot Change

CBS Boss: 'No Plans' for Colbert and Corden to Swap Time Slots

James Corden churns out the buzzy bits, such as The Late Late Show‘s star-studded, always-viral Carpool Karaoke. Stephen Colbert, meanwhile… well, some might say he is right now hitting his stride with this week’s RNC coverage, a full 10 months into his Late Show tenure. (In fact, Monday’s live outing delivered the talker’s best overnight 18-49 rating in five months.)

Regardless, CBS will not be swapping the late-nighters’ time slots to give Corden the more plum real estate.

While conceding that The Late Show With Stephen Colbert‘s performance-to-date has been “uneven” (and thus triggered a showrunner change in April), CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller told The Hollywood Reporter, “We have no plans to flip the two shows.”

“It’s really easy for people to pit the shows against each other. But they’re different kinds of shows, they’re different kinds of hosts,” the exec explained. “One was a known quantity to America, and the other was not. I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two….”

Offering his own take on the time-slot swap speculation, Colbert said as part of THR‘s cover story, “The implication of that question is that the show isn’t good enough in its present position. So of course that makes you feel bad. But it doesn’t jibe with what I know about our show, so you recover.”

Do you like CBS’ late-night shows right where they are, or would a swap make sense?

1. Kevin K says:

Don’t want Corden going up against Fallon and Kimmel and Colbert against Meyers.

• Evanovich says:

Corden has never cared much about television ratings. He’s more interested in how many views he can get online.

2. Mr. Smith says:

There was much promise when Colbert first came on. That quickly subsided. They should have allowed Letterman some say into the decision.

3. jj says:

That actually makes Corden’s achievements all the more impressive.

4. Liza says:

I like them where they are. Viral videos aren’t everything, and I’d much rather watch full episodes of Colbert than Corden, as much as I like both.

• maggie says:

True. Colbert is a show that you can enjoy the whole thing, but Corden is at his best in his viral bits.

5. TV Gord says:

I love both shows, but swapping them would leave a bad taste in my mouth. The “demotion” for Stephen would hurt his image.

Besides, it’s 2016. People can catch both shows online or On Demand , so they can watch whenever they want.

• JD says:

Poor job performance leads to demotions sometimes. It’s not about hurting someone’s reputation?! It’s just about performance.

• TV Gord says:

He’s not performing poorly, though. It’s just that not enough people are watching. I’m entertained by him every night.

• Kriston Troy Brannan says:

He is performing poorly in the only metric that matters to TV executives, ratings. If you have a job and your success in that job depends on one specific criteria, and you fail to meet that criteria, then you get demoted or fired. If Colbert’s ratings don’t show some marked and consistent improvement in the next year, don’t be surprised if he’s demoted or let go, no matter how big of a name he was coming into the job.

• TV Gord says:

To me, it’s all much ado about nothing. When you look at the numbers for the three 11:35 shows, they’re not that far apart. It was the same way in the Leno/Letterman days.

• maggie says:

Colbert still gets twice the ratings of Corden. But Corden gets more social media buzz. If that buzz doesn’t result in an increase in ratings, why would they switch the timeslots of the two programs?

• Jim says:

Because they think Corden could get better ratings than Colbert in the earlier timeslot, because it’s earlier. That’s why they would do it.

6. Lauren says:

I love Colbert! It’s unfortunate that other shows have been hyped because of their buzzy little bits that get play online. Gilbert’s show is so smart and witty. And sorry, but he is such a better interviewer than Fallon. I like watching a show that doesn’t play a game every single night.

7. Winter says:

I’m still missing Craig Ferguson.

8. Fred says:

Both shows are worthless and needs to be removed, bring back America and put movies on after the news. Them two shows are full of hate. Unamerican.

9. DmC says:

James Corden’s show is way better and way more entertaining than Cobert’s. CBS should have realized this after the Super Bowl when Corden’s show received better reviews.

10. c-mo says:

I’ve never enjoyed watching Colbert, even when he was a guest on Late Show and I loved Dave’s interviews. IMO, Colbert doesn’t really interview people, he just wants to pander and at times, condescend but he does it with that goofy grin and fake cheerful tone. It seems like he’s trying to copy Fallon with the fan-boying but it just doesn’t work for him. I’d be very happy if the two changed timeslots, I wouldn’t have to stay up as late or DVR it.

• maggie says:

Really? Colbert doesn’t fawn over people. He talks to them, and can ask intelligent questions. He does especially well when he has a non-show business guest. Colbert actually seems to be interested in what the guests say.

11. Michael S says:

Switch ’em. Corden is more fun, more clever. Colbert is more of a bore.

• Phillip says:

My wife & I both agree Colbert is a Bore. James Cordon needs to change time slots, by the time we watch Colbert,we are so bored, we go to sleep before James Corden comes on. He would boost ratings if they put him in the same time slot Jimmy Fallon has.

12. Gail says:

Loved the “The Word” bit from the Colbert Report character this week. Would love if he brought the character back more often. Certainly wish or this during this election cycle.

• maggie says:

I think that Colbert was trying to separate this show from the Colbert Report and avoided his old character for a long time. He must feel more comfortable now that he thinks it’s OK to bring back the old character without it interfering with the new show. I hope it becomes a regular feature, just like the big hat bit.

13. cuius says:

Colbert’s live shows this week, so far, have been a vast improvement over the normal recorded ones. The latter look over-rehearsed and lack “edge”

14. HAP says:

I wonder if Ferguson regrets having turned down that spot. Had been to the tapings of a number of Craig’s shows and he was without a doubt the smartest late night show host out there.

• BillyBobJohnson says:

He would have failed miserably at 11:30. His show was definitely for the after midnight demographic, and he knew it.

15. S.uddenly says:

Colbert is the perfect anti-Fallon and should stay though he needs to bring more game – the last couple of nights he has been on fire with the live shows – maybe that’s the answer. I love Corden but would hate for him to be put against Fallon as the masses will stay there as with the grating Leno.

16. PatriciaLee says:

Oh, please don’t switch them. We laugh at Corden, sometimes, but at the monologues. We turn off the station with the other stuff. The husband has, finally, made peace with the Leno/Letterman departures and is starting to record Colbert for the monologue. We never watched him, before. I was too busy and he was not into political satire (too boring I guess).

17. peterwdawson says:

God, Corden against Fallon? That’s a terrible idea. The main reason Corden gets that buzz is he’s not competing in his timeslot against anyone but Meyers, whose main buzz is around his ‘closer look’ segments (unless I’m missing something else he does that gets a lot of praise). Colbert’s doing the ‘whole show is the buzz’ style that Kimmel and Fallon tend not to do. Colbert’s probably got the strongest monologue for his timeslot and has delivered a plethora of memorable interviews worth watching in their entirety. It’s a two different animal situation. Both would probably suffer if they swapped timeslots really.

18. BrianR says:

I just want Clobert to get what’s coming to him and what he asked for.

19. TV Gord says:

I’m wondering if CBS is considering making The Late Show live every night! There’s an added energy with the live broadcast, and even the celebrity guests seem more alert. I could see them live Monday through Thursday with a recorded show for Friday.