Black Sails Cancelled No Season 5

Black Sails to End With Season 4

Black Sails is set to be dry docked after Season 4, Starz announced on Wednesday.

The 10-episode fourth season, premiering in 2017, finds the pirates at war in the West Indies. As such, the shores of New Providence Island have never been bloodier, but the closer civilization comes to defeat, the more desperately — and destructively — it will fight back.

“It’s a rare privilege in television to be given the kind of creative freedom we’ve enjoyed on this show over the last four years,” series co-creator Jonathan E. Steinberg said in a statement. “While it was a difficult decision for us to make this season our last, we simply couldn’t imagine anything beyond it that would make for a better ending to the story nor a more natural handoff to [the story of] Treasure Island.”

Said Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik: “Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine, along with their crew and the phenomenal cast, have delivered a spectacular take on the most legendary pirate story in literature, and this final season will bring us to the shores of Treasure Island as was always intended…. We could not be more proud of this very special series.”

Are you ready to say bon voyage to Black Sails?

1. Wordsmith says:

I love the show, but this makes perfect sense, given the way that the story has been building towards a fixed destination and where they are now.
    At a certain point, they’d have to be completely throwing out actual history and the source material from Treasure Island if they wanted the show to keep going.

• Jim says:

Yeah, I agree. I’ll miss the show something fierce, but they’re coming to the climactic conflict of the entire series and although they could try and make the show about something else afterward, it will be much more powerful if they leave it all on the table this year. Just somebody put Jessica Parker Kennedy in another premium cable television series immediately, if you know what I mean, okay?

2. Scott21 says:

So it is the last blind item? (that a show pulls a penny dreadful?)

• Amy says:

The difference that this one announced ahead of S4, whereas Penny Dreadful announced after the last episode (IMO that announcement was awfully suspect; if that was officially the last season of PD, they would have done like Starz did and announced before the season was done.)
      I’m sad about this decision, but it does make sense to get them to the start of Treasure Island.

• dan says:

I was going to ask the same question: is this the answer to Ausiello’s most recent blind item about a drama being cancelled?

• Wordsmith says:

Can’t be the blind item – that specified that the show would end after the CURRENT season, not after the following one.

• sirensongwoman says:

If you’ve read Treasure Island you knew this was going to be the last season. It HAD to be. But, God, it has been one H*ll of a ride. A true moment-in-time story that will never be again.

3. Gator5000E says:

I have just one word to day to this…….Boo! Black Sails is my top 5 series on TV right now. Oh well.

4. Elisabet Saul says:

Noooooooooooo! 😭😭😭

5. Elisabet Saul says:

My husband and I have been hooked from the moment we saw the very first previews. We could not wait till the series began. Since then, every year was torturous waiting to see the following season. This has been, hands down, the best series we’ve ever seen. We love that era, the Caribbean itself and everything Pirate. We are sad to see it end, but are thankful to have enjoyed the series and the amazing cast always bringing it with their characters. My hats off to the writers and directors. Thank you. We can’t wait for season 4!

6. Bri says:

While I’m upset about this (Black Sails is one of my favorite shows) it does make sense & I respect that they’d rather end than drag on the story. Still disappointing, it’s a great show.

7. Tim says:

This series has always taken it’s time and this feels premature to me, although, I guess it has been building toward one final battle.

8. Kevin In CT says:

Ahhh nuts, I always enjoyed this show!!

9. A M says:

Bummer. This has become one of my favorite shows. The last season was fantastic. But I understand the decision and it makes sense to end on a high note and be able to tie up all storylines rather than have the show drag out and lose its creative juice.

10. Andrea says:

Not surprised since Charles has already been killed off. The others will follow, so no where to go with the plot.

11. scott says:

? Starz – Ima rage-cancell my sub after season 4

12. Not really,but the real pirates did not last long either.but flint is the man

13. Whatever says:

So has Treasure Island been ordered by Starz? Is Steinber and Levine et al going going to continue onto that?

14. Mia says:

Hell no, thus isn’t right!!

15. Malissa R. says:

Aww…come on! First Penny Dreadful now Black Sails?! It’s bad enough we have to wait a year between Outlander seasons. They’re killin’ me! Jeez, I might have to resort to finding a man or something. Who needs that drama?! I’ll start mourning now.

16. Liz says:

I’ll be sad to see it go, but Starz is still worth it, because we still have Outlander!!

17. Kathy wells says:

No I am not. But I understand the reasoning behind it

18. Tobias says:

No nooo noooooo please no!!!

19. Will says:

To all those complaining, at least they are announcing and treating the next season as the final one.

…Yes Showtime/John Logan/Penny Dreadful I’m looking at you….

20. Blossom says:

But… they ARE going to go all the way into Treasure Island, right? THAT story has never been properly told and this is THE change to take the WHOLE story to its natural end.

21. James Sprott says:

I love the show, I keeping looking to see when the new series is going to start. Don’t want it end. Waiting to see what Blackbeard is going to do with Flint. I come across Black Sails series by accident and got hooked on it. Had to go back an watch all the series On-Demand to catch up with the series 3, now talking about ending after series 4.Booooo

22. Paige McNeil says:

Black Sails is one of the best shows on television, and I subscribe especially to Starz to watch it as it airs. I guess I’ll be cancelling after January of 2017. I’m extremely disappointed there won’t be more of this show. I am, however, grateful that the writers are seemingly treating the story with forethought and grace, and ending the show where they see the conclusion. I do agree with a previous commenter that it feels rushed- particualarly as there are only 10 episodes- but I am willing to wait and see.

23. Lorraine E. Earle says:

Nooooo *screams out loud* this is one of the best shows on tv for the longest time. I go out of my way to watch Black Sails. It will be very hard to find something that can stand up to it. I’m very saddened.

24. vince says:

Noooo!! Not ready, Maybe after season Ten. But not now ,too soon. This is a great show that our entire family look forward each week to watch. Its one of the few shows that brings everyone together in the same room at the same time.. Keep it going!!

25. Teri says:

NOOOOOO I love this show and can’t wait for season 4

26. Sid says:

NO! there’s no series and I mean literally no series like this one! It’s so rare and too amazing to end with just 4 seasons!! It should continue to at least 9 or 10!

27. Stephanie Harness says:

No no no. I love that show. So much excitement and I always looked forward to seeing the next episode. I remember one of my shows went off the air. My hubby and me had nothing to watch do we picked black sails. We couldn’t stop watching!. We will be very bummed out. So hopefully no.

28. Yves Sylvian says:

Every friend and family member I have are just holding on for the next series of Black Sails. It has eclipsed Vikings and Game of thrones for most of us. Bring it on. Soon. Please

29. MARK FARRRAH says:

Noooooo…. the movie can be somehow continued… you can set that the tresure (gold) was hiden and no one could find it . and after long time…. the current civilazation…. is looking for a secret document believed to be written by Clint to her son in law. There… the story go on in our currenttimes….

i remain,
    Mark.

30. Teresa crose says:

No! However it wont be the same without vane but hope flint makes it and bonnie and silver and rackham

31. KIMBERLY HYE says:

No I am not ready to see it go unless there is a Treasure Island series to follow. This show is so good that I let them build up so that I can watch them back-to-back.

32. kirsten ripper says:

Noooooo!! I love Black Sails…….make more of them…….PLEASEEEEE!!!!!

33. sirensongwoman says:

The only thing I am not happy about is that they’re apparently not taking this story to the VERY end. I want to see Billy cowering at the inn and Silver walking off into the sunset through the eyes of a child. I will, of course, forgive them if they wrap it up THAT way… in whatever manner (aTreasure Island movie with the remaining BS cast). Nobody has ever made a good Treasure Island movie so…

34. theresa olszak says:

Not ready to say goodbye to these great acting pirates. Love the show and hoped it would continue into the treasure island part of the story. Bummer.😕

35. Trisha Bomar says:

You suck. I love this show.

36. No! I understand that the story has to end, but it was soooooo good. Can we get the cast and crew on a fictional pirate show that can go on forever?

37. marc serlin says:

know that historical shows have to follow the timeline but wish they didn’t. Examples would be Sparticus, he really died. One of my very fav shows on starz. Can’t be any other fictional as that was the only bloodiest past in history there was. Turn Washingtons Spies is last year coming up. Also rev war only lasted 3 years, give or take. True history and characters there.So in coclusion I am going to miss Sails. I watch a lot of TV. Oh yeah Hell on wheels was true. No more railroads built at that time, so guess us buffs have to hope new shows as good as sails come around again. One more that I didn’t want to end, was Da Vincis Demons, but that was the end of that history too. Well everyone guess we wait for another sails to come along. Thany you for letting me reply marc

38. Neil Halliday says:

No this can not happen !! THE BEST SERIES I HAVE SEEN SINCE DEAD WOOD.. Can’t wait for each season! Please rethink your decision.

39. Ken Ratajczyk says:

Makes sense but will truly be missed. I’m glad there are more creators,produces,etc. that end something when it should with high praise and not the norm of trying to squeeze something out of a treasure. Kudos…sail on my friends :):):)

40. FED says:

STARZ IS THE NEW APPLE NO TALENT, NO INNOVATION ALL THOSE MONTHLY SUBSCRIBER DOLLARS AND NO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM. HOPE THERE ARE LOTS OF BOOBS IN THIS SEASON BECAUSE THE SHOW HAS NO TALENT AND NOTHING ELS TO HOLD A PERSONS ATTENTION – THIS SERIES SUCKS – IT’S POINTLESS AND PLOTLESS AND MINDLESS AND YET IN EVERY WORD OF IT’S CANCELING THE WRITERS AND ACTORS WORSHIP THEMSELVES – MORE ONE PERCENTER’S WITH MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS. I DON’T SEE SEASON 4 HAPPENING

41. Rich Robinson says:

Black Sails is one of the shows like the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Spartacus. It would be a huge disappointment and a dis service to the fans of the show and STARZ to cancel it.

42. michele says:

OMG… IReally love Black Sails, why is it leaving after season 4? I was heartbroken when Charles Vane lost his life. Now this news?

43. sue shapley says:

loved the show, just found it last year..me and my bf binged watched all 3 seasons..cant wait to see the big finale..sad it couldnt have another season or two

44. Bill hicks says:

I think it’s a big mistake to end black sails it has a big following.

• David sanders says:

As a loyal viewer of the show I am very dissapointed.that being said the overall reign of the real pirates wasn’t that long either.heres to hoping Charles vane had a twin

45. Ed feinhals says:

Black sails is a great program should not end

46. Paul JOnes says:

I wish it could do one more series after 4 ,hats off to good drama. Another great series Ripper street & Folyes War

47. Sarah says:

Oh nooooo they can’t do this to meeeeeeee :’C So upset now!

48. I am crying, i mean, i understand but…they can’t do this to me T__T

49. Nikki Solien says:

So…Is treasure island gonna be as amazing? This will be tough to beat…I mean, they ARE making Treasure Island ….Right?!

50. Ranger says: