Garry Marshall Dead

Garry Marshall, Happy Days Creator and Filmmaker, Dead at 81

Garry Marshall, whose contributions to screens small and big included Happy Days and the original TV adaptation of The Odd Couple, died on Tuesday at age 81.

Access Hollywood was first to report on the legend’s passing; per TMZ, he died from complications from pneumonia.

A Bronx native and brother to actress/director Penny Marshall and TV producer Ronny Marshall Hallin, Marshall started out his career as a writer for Jack Paar’s Tonight Show, The Joey Bishop Hour and The Dick Van Dyke Show. From there, he went on to develop for TV an adaptation of the Neil Simon play The Odd Couple, before creating Happy Days (which was born of a segment on the Love, American Style anthology series).

The ’50s-set Happy Days would launch the multi-hyphenate career of Ron Howard and make Henry Winkler a teen icon, as well as spawn the offshoots Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy and (the short-lived) Joanie Loves Chachi.

His TV creations also includes the Donna Pescow-fronted Angie, Blansky’s Beauties, The Brian Keith Show and Hey, Landlord.

As a TV actor, Marshall was featured on The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show and played Murphy Brown‘s Stan Lansing. His other credits include Brothers and Sisters, Louie and, most recently, a guest spot on CBS’ The Odd Couple reboot.

For the big screen, Marshall directed several seminal films, including The Flamingo Kid, Beaches, Pretty Woman and The Princess Diaries.

Marshall also penned the autobiography Wake Me When It’s Funny: How to Break into Show Business and Stay There, which I personally cannot recommend enough. Tremendous, compelling (and funny) yarns.

I leave you with Happy Days‘ original opening credits, plus some remembrances from those Marshall worked with:

Henry Winkler, Happy Days

Awful, just awful. RIP Garry. 😢😢

2. LJ Bissonnette says:

Thanks for the memories, Gary. RIP

3. Robert says:

A real legend. RIP

4. Ralph says:

They don’t make em like him any more! Thanks for the memories and laughs. RIP

5. Wendy says:

Wow. The man certainly left his mark. Loved “Pretty Woman” and watched almost all of the TV shows listed here as a kid. May Mr. Marshall RIP.

6. Mollymoo says:

:( a great talent lost

7. Andrew Hass says:

My condolences to his family.However Garry Marshall has left a great legacy behind,

8. My prayers for the entire Marshall family…I will include him in my St. Jude novena. Thanks to him I really enjoyed comedies again. Still play all the 50’s and 60’s music on our antique jukebox. Lots of wonderful memories! Eternal rest grant unto him o Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him; may his soul and all the souls of faithful departed rest in Peace.

9. Phun says:

RIP. :(

10. Scott Paton says:

Garry Marshall’s work and long resume speak for themselves– a remarkable career. But more importantly, in a town and industry that can be so quick to sacrifice relationships, dignity and integrity for opportunity, he was a prince. Talk to anyone who who knew him, worked with him, or simply met him in passing, and you will hear no greater praise. Garry was a true gentleman, an enormous talent and a truly good soul.

11. Brian says:

Loved so much of his work.

RIP Garry

12. flowerduh says:

No way! Anything he acted or produced I found him hillarious! RIP

13. Nero tTVFiddler says:

One of the greats of television, spanning the decades from the 1950s to this past 2015-16 season on The Odd Couple (go Mr. Met !!)

His life in television reads like the Cliff Notes of the history of television – his fingerprints are everywhere, as producer, director, writer, actor. His impact on the medium is beyond compare.

RIP Mr. Marshall. And thank you.

14. Joey Padron says:

Sad to hear about his passing. It was a great and talented man. RIP

15. “Welcome to Hollywood! What’s your dream?”
    For Garry Marshall to have Happy Days in Heaven.

16. "A" says:

RIP Garry Marshall

17. Your legacy will live forever through your work. Comedy will always have a Garry Marshall imprint on it. Thanks for so many memories of my youth. Keep ’em laughing in Heaven!!

18. Anne says:

He lived a remarkable life. His passing is sad, but I’m comforted by the knowledge that he didn’t waste his time here on earth and he lived a long, fulfilling life. He will be missed and his legacy will live on for generations.

19. Buxpub says:

RIP. Very sad news! Loved so many of his TV shows and movies.

20. Rick Klaastad says:

I wonder if the poor fellow caught Baio’s rant at the Gop Convention? RIP, Mr M.

21. Jennifer says:

Very sad. RIP. One of my faves, Pretty Woman. 2016, you suck.

22. BillyBobJohnson says:

A true mensch. R.I.P., Mr. Marshall.

23. MMD says:

Rest in Peace Garry Marshall. You provided so much joy to so many people and by example, showed that goodness and kindness can exist in Hollywood. Deepest sympathies to all that knew and loved him.

24. Eurydice says:

RIP. He was good as an actor, too – this is one of my favorite lines of his from Soapdish:

“I would like to voice my strong concern about this show’s spiraling decline in ratings. David, ever since you took us to the Caribbean, it’s been Jamaica homeless people sucking soup, and a big wave outside that cost a hundred thousand dollars. That’s depressing and it’s expensive, two words I hate. You know the words I like? I like the word “peppy” and the word “cheap”. Peppy and cheap.”

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Thank you for that quote from the movie – it made me laugh and smile. :)

He is with the angels now, and they are all smiling and holding him close with comfort.

25. S.uddenly says:

What an amazing talent. His shows were some of my best friends growing up. RIP Mr. Marshall