Exclusive

UnREAL's Freddie Stroma on Adam's Return: 'He's Back for Rachel' — Plus: Watch Quinn Greet Her 'Meat Puppet'

Ah, seems like old times. No sooner has UnREAL’s Adam returned to the Everlasting mansion than he’s forced to take off his clothes and put on tiny swim trunks.

In this exclusive sneak peek at Monday’s episode (Lifetime, 10/9c), the former suitor isn’t too happy about once again being Quinn’s “meat puppet,” this time in her quest to “re-energize” the contestants. So why would he volunteer for a second helping of humiliation?

“You regret how you left things,” Quinn tells him. “So why don’t you make them better?”

“With America?” a confused Adam asks, to which the producer very pointedly responds, “With whomever.”

In case it’s not abundantly clear, the Brit has one thing and only one thing on his mind: “He’s back for Rachel,” his portrayer Freddie Stroma tells TVLine. “But he remembers his experience [on Everlasting], the craziness. When he says, ‘Here we go again,’ it’s like, ‘Back in the madhouse.’ I think he’s willing to put up with it” for Rachel, however.

Read on for more of Stroma’s thoughts on Adam’s big comeback, his opinion of Coleman and then some.

TVLINE | What was it like returning to the show after being away for a while?
Very strange. They had a much bigger set… and then a new cast, who were also six episodes in. It was fun. It was great to hang out with everyone again, see a lot of the old cast and crew. Gosh, it’s just very strange coming back to [play] a character [after] probably two years, I think.

UnREAL SpoilersTVLINE | Why would Adam answer Quinn’s call after what the show did to him last season? They humiliated him on live TV!
The feelings he has for Rachel. He knows very well that Quinn is manipulating him. She’s done it many times in Season 1, so he knows that there’s a hidden agenda with her. But he’s willing to take that on if it means that he can get his motivation in there.

TVLINE | That really speaks to the depth of his feelings for Rachel, then.
Yeah, I think it does. That’s what he’s willing to do. He shows that in Season 1 when he helps out Faith with those fake sex tapes, and he does the same for Rachel. If he can try and help her out sometimes, he’ll put himself on the line. He puts himself on the line even for himself in Episode 4, with the investors. [Laughs] He’s willing to do some dark things if it serves his final [goal]. He’s a hustler. [Laughs]

TVLINE | How has Adam changed since we last saw him — and I’m not referring to the scruff and tan. It looks like he’s been on a beach for a while.
[Laughs] I think he’s started to try and take a little bit more responsibility, trying to be a little less selfish. Whether he actually is, that’s up to the audience to decide. But one of his realizations is his conviction for Rachel.

UnREAL SpoilersTVLINE | What is his interaction like with Rachel when they’re reunited?
He knows that he really misses her, and that definitely throws a spanner into the works with where she’s at with Coleman and where she’s at in her life. He really did hurt her when he decided to not run away with her because he listened to Quinn. He realizes that, but he definitely hurt her, and maybe that was too much. Maybe he hurt her too much. He wants forgiveness for that, I think.

TVLINE | What does Adam think of Coleman?
To him, it’s just another person. He’s not really threatened too much when he first sees him. Watching the second season, I love [Rachel and Coleman’s] scenes together. They’re actually quite sweet to watch. He’s very good.

1. Joey Padron says:

Good clip from new episode and good interview with Freddie. Excited to see Adam back on the show and his scenes wire Rachel in the episode!

2. tallsy says:

Always great to see Adam back!

3. tvwatcher says:

I know it won’t happen but I would love it if Rachel, Coleman and Adam ran off and made a spin off show and left everyone else in the dust. As much as I find Coleman boring with zero chemistry I would not mind if Rachel stayed with him to just to piss off Quinn. On a serious note I hate stupid love tangles. I vaguely remember reading an article where Shiri said one of the things she loved about UnREAL was that she “got to play a woman who was not someones girlfriend or in a love triangle”. I am so bored with the cheesy soapy Lifetime love triangle. I need a love triangle or a boyfriend for Rachel. Regardless I am still going to watch this show because Shiri gives one of the best performance on TV despite not getting nominated for an Emmy. She got snubbed.

• tvwatcher says:

I know it won’t happen but I would love it if Rachel, Coleman and Adam ran off and made a spin off show and left everyone else in the dust. As much as I find Coleman boring with zero chemistry I would not mind if Rachel stayed with him to just to piss off Quinn. On a serious note I hate stupid love tangles. I vaguely remember reading an article where Shiri said one of the things she loved about UnREAL was that she “got to play a woman who was not someones girlfriend or in a love triangle”. I am so bored with the cheesy soapy Lifetime love triangle. I don’t need a love triangle or a boyfriend for Rachel. I want to see her manipulating the contestants. I want her to get her life in order and write that book. Regardless I am still going to watch this show because Shiri gives one of the best performance on TV despite not getting nominated for an Emmy. She got snubbed. One other thing. I bet by the end of the season Rachel finds out she’s pregnant and next season is spend on the Maury show finding out who the father of the baby is.

4. Cas says:

While I liked him I actually prefer Coleman.

• earlbny says:

I love Rachel with Quinn the best. They are the heart and soul of UnREAL. I hope they kiss and make up.

• Jess says:

I wanted to like Coleman with Rachel, but the show rushed the relationship too much, and they don’t really have much chemistry IMO

There was much better build-up for Rachel/Adam – I love how they started off as friends, with a bit of flirtation going on

5. Liz says:

Is there a recommended browser for TVLine? Whenever I open links in Chrome, the site takes forever to load and the videos don’t really work :( I’d really like to watch this video instead of just listening to the audio :)

6. Mike says:

The show is hard to watch. It is too mean spirited. I liked Rachel and Adam. This 2nd season is a bit a messy mash up if you ask me. I am not seeing a season 3 in their future.

7. tsevca says:

The only chance Coleman and Rachel have is to turn Rachel into the most boring person on TV. He´s real disappointment. Plus actors playing Rachel and Adam had chemistry from scene 1. Whether they get together or not, they should keep him around and not 100 % doom them, so they could still flirt at least.