Fall TV Preview
Taye Diggs Empire

Taye Diggs Joins Empire Season 3 in Major Barack Obama-Infused Role

Wait until Cookie gets a load of that million-watt smile.

Taye Diggs has signed on for a major recurring role on Fox’s Empire, TVLine has learned. The Private Practice vet will first appear in the Fox drama’s Sept. 21 Season 3 premiere as Angelo Dubois, a city councilman hailing from a respected and affluent New York family.

With his pedigree and a Harvard law diploma, Diggs’ Angelo could have made a fortune in the private sector. Instead, he is ruled by his sense of noblesse oblige, and focuses his energies on community organizing and local politics, inviting comparisons to Barack Obama.

Diggs, who is currently starring in TNT’s anthology drama  Murder in the First, joins a Season 3 guest roster that also includes singer Sierra McClain, rapper French Montana and music mogul Birdman (as himself). As TVLine scooped last month, rapper-actor Xzibit — who joined Empire last season as Lucious’ drug-dealin’, music-makin’ adversary Shyne Johnson — has been promoted to a series regular.

Thoughts on Diggs’ casting? Do you think it’s safe to assume he’s coming in as a love interest for Taraji P. Henson’s Cookie? Or are you picturing him as a potential suitor for Jussie Smollett’s very much single Jamal? Speculate away in the comments!

1. KLS says:

Happy for Diggs. Is this another sign that Murder in the First is the Blind Item? (Young drama is in it’s last season- unannounced, stars are getting offers for other roles)

2. Andrew Hass says:

I do wonder if Taye Diggs character will be a love interest for Cookie

3. crazytelevision says:

And that’s how Murder in the first earns all the numbers for being the young cancelled summer TV show under the last blind item

4. tvwillrotyourbrainrain says:

I don’t care who he romances, but I hope he sings!

5. glen says:

I like murder in the first. I quit watching empire.

6. Boone says:

Good for Diggs. He’s also a good friend of Terrence “Lucious” Howard (starring with him on the “Best Man” movies). Hope we get others “Best man” as Nia Long or Harold Perrineau.

7. mrmcgee says:

Taye Diggs makes everything better..

8. mamalyn says:

Didn’t know he sings but I’m glad he’s off of ROSEWOOD.

• Darling says:

What??? I 💘 LOVE, LUV, LOVE, Rosewood and Tye Diggs role in that movie. He played the heck out of that show and I hope they aren’t taking that show off for another stupid reality show!!! So that being said we all know he’s going to be all up into Ms Cookie’s little 🍪 cookie. Smiling

9. Georgia says:

Love Murder in the First. Hope it is NOT cancelled.Many actors do two shows.Fingers crossed this is the case!

• Darling says:

What??? I 💘 LOVE, LUV, LOVE, Rosewood asTye Diggs role in that movie. He played the heck out of that show and I hope they aren’t taking that show off for another stupid reality show!!! So that being said we all know he’s going to be all up into Ms Cookie’s little 🍪 cookie. Smiling

• Missy says:

I have love taye so much no matter what he’s on but is he leaving murder in the first does anyone know?

10. Kevin In CT says:

I’ve recently become acquainted with Taye Diggs from binging episodes of Private Practice on Netflix. Great actor!!

11. sladewilson says:

Love MITF so I hope it has another season. This one has been pretty good so far. Besides, he can do both shows, I would hope. And I’m glad he’s off Rosewood – his character never really fit there. And if he is there for Cookie? Lucious better get on his grind….

12. Jaea says:

Taye Diggs was also on Rosewood! I would much rather have Derek Luke back for Cookie’s character since Diggs is already busy! But after doing big films its hard to see certain actors on tv on a weekly.
    I think Jamal still has unresolved issues with that in the closet rapper/producer, he and Diggs will not be an item. Question is who got thrown off that roof, if anyone??

13. SherryB says:

I love Empire, but I swear if they start with this obama crap I will turn the channel and not go back.

14. Darling says:

Ooopps…Sorry. Meant to type Taye Diggs as Rosewood. Please forgive the error. GOD BLESS