Shooter Delayed

Shooter Update: USA Network Delays Sniper Drama's Launch (Again)

In light of current events, USA Network has opted to postpone the launch of its sniper drama Shooter until fall. “After further consideration, USA Network, Paramount TV and Universal Cable Productions have decided to move the premiere of Shooter to the fall,” a USA rep said in a statement.

The move comes a week after USA pushed the Ryan Phillippe-fronted series’ debut from July 19 to July 26 in the wake of the July 7 ambush of Dallas police officers that left five dead and several others wounded. Since that initial delay, another ambush-style attack took place this past Sunday in Baton Rouge, LA., that claimed the lives of three law enforcement officers.

Based on a Stephen Hunter novel (Point of Impact) and the 2007 Mark Wahlberg film, Shooter stars Phillippe as Bob Lee Swagger, a highly decorated ex-Marine sniper who is coaxed back into action after he learns about a plot to kill the president.

USA Network itself delayed the Season 1 finale of Mr. Robot last August, because of a scene in which a man shot himself on live TV. That sequence was deemed too disturbing in the immediate wake of the real-life, on-air shooting of a Moneta, Va. TV reporter.

1. Kim Davis says:

Not t again, I understand not airing iy after Dallas since that involved a sniper. However I don’t think that the Baton Rouge incident should create another delay. I’m definitely a big fan of the Police, my husband is an Officer.

• I agree. I get that they are trying to be sensitive but if they are waiting for there to be shootings I unfortunately just don’t see this ever being able to premiere. It just keeps happening and more frequently. :-/

2. Donna Salvi says:

If they continue to postpone due to shootings, we may never get to see it. Sadly, shootings are becoming more common place.

3. Jill Rattray says:

If the network is waiting for a time without shootings being headline news to air this drama, is it ever gonna air?

4. ScottJ says:

So launch it outside the USA. I’m sure most other countries won’t have any problems airing it.

5. Andrew Hass says:

I get why USA is doing this because they want to be sensitive to the victims of the shootings and their families but they eventually the series will have to air even it creates bad press somehow.However when the Shooter does premiere USA can air a disclaimer at the beginning saying that the series was made before the Dallas or Baton Rouge or any shootings for that matter.

6. Mr. Smith says:

Do we not all realize this is fiction? Can’t we separate fact and fiction anymore?

• David4 says:

But I’m hunting Pokemon in the REAL WORLD DUDE!!!!

*Acts like a crazy asshole and just wonders i the middle of the street.*

• Butch Reedy says:

unfortunately we live in a country now where everyone is offended its irradiates the hell out of me , how can people be so offended , if we listened to all these crybabies complaining there would be no TV , Movies , or Music

7. wrstlgirl says:

So now it will go up against the higher quality (??) Fall programming and get cancelled. Very disappointed, been waiting a long time to see this. I get that some of the subject matter might be sensitive to some but I hate seeing this show getting back burned.

8. BARBARA HARRIS says:

IN SORRY,…. BUT THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE SOMETHING GOING ON IN THIS CRAZY WORLD THAT WILL RESEMBLE A TV PROGRAM. THE THING IS…MOST PEOPLE ARE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REAL LIFE AND TV LAND.. I GUESS SOME OF THESE TV EXECS DON’T THINK WE ARE.

9. A fan of TV says:

It’s just the saddest statement when a show about shootings must be consistently pushed back to avoid offending. Here’s an idea, America: guns aren’t a human or civil right. Regulate, restrict, and control them in any and every way you can think of. Without guns, hatred has to try a lot harder to win, and fictional TV shows don’t have to take on the responsibility for this crap that the NRA and its hyper-libertarian apologists refuse to acknowledge is squarely on them.

10. johnhelvete says:

My suggestion to USA. Change the title of the show. Point of Impact is the name of the book, that might be preferable to Shooter.

11. David4 says:

Maybe they realized it sucks and are just trying to cover for that.

12. Arlene says:

Absurd. There will be things like this terrible thing all the time. Life doesn’t run on a tv network schedule. Express condolences, then air the show. It’s not as if it wasn’t based on the movie, which is currently airing on Showtime, and can be watched anytime a subscriber wants to.

13. Mandy says:

They should stop postponing it. How many times will they have to postpone it? Just let it premiere. There will never be a perfect time

14. A. D. says:

Just go ahead and cancel it

15. Jared says:

The amount of bad press this show already has..warranted or not, can’t be good. I know I’ve personally lost interest and probably won’t even bother watching it if/when USA decides to air it.

16. iceblast says:

There are plenty of other violent shows on tv right now. You don’t see them avoiding the real life. There will always be something going on in the real world. You can’t be so faint of heart.

17. At least USA is keeping viewers informed. I hate it when a show is abruptly cancelled or moved, case in point, BBC aired three episodes of a show titled Thirteen on Thursday at 9, then episode 4 at 5pm. I missed it and since the show is kinda twisty, I’m just bailing.
    No vod for BBC.

• LAwoman says:

I could not figure out what happened to Thirteen! I was so confused. I thought maybe the time change had been announced and I just missed it. Lucky for me, I do get BBC America VOD and found that episode.

18. rahajicho says:

They might as well just cancel the show.

19. Rick Katze says:

A politically correct decision which feels good but has no real effect.

20. Broadwayfan says:

I’m not trying to sound insensitive. But, considering what’s going on there’s going to be frequent stories of shootings.
    This show will never get on the air.
    There are many programs that involve public officials being shot. I think we’re intelligent enough to look past that. It’s fiction.

21. amy says:

If they are going to delay this show every time there is a mass shooting, it will never actually air

22. Jerri says:

I was really looking forward to this show. Then they moved it once, I thought, ‘ok a week or delay is no biggie’. Now they and postpone it again. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s getting fed up with these moves and is slowly losing interest in even watching the show in the first place.

At this point, given there’s a shooting every day, they should shelve any pilots and currently airing shows that deal with or have weapons (guns or otherwise). oh, but then there won’t be anything to watch on TV…

23. Ryan says:

Given the good ol US of A has mass shootings on a near daily basis this series may not air at all if they’re going to postpone because of current events.

24. Amy says:

Ugh, so disappointed. I understand why they are doing it, but there is never going to be a right time. Currently, shootings are occurring on at least a weekly basis, sadly. :(

25. Cathy says:

Delaying a tv show in the wake of horrible true events just makes people more depressed. We’ve been looking forward to this new show and it’s frustrating for it to be delayed and delayed. It was giving us something to look forward to when there’s so much bad going on in this world today.

26. CJ says:

Stopping this – And the bad guys win again .

27. Kyle Cheng says:

Are you kidding me?
    Just air the show already and quit being so politically correct that is why America is in the state that is is right now.
    We need an outlet to relax and watch.
    TV VIEWERS LIVES MATTER too.

28. Denis Amiani says:

when will the Shooter series Start Airing?

29. Janet Skinner says:

I wonder if it will keep being delayed due to presidential elections

30. Butch Reedy says:

High hopes for this one, at least Mark Walhberg is over seeing it and was considering playing the role again , but USA network thats makes me nervous this should be on AMC or FX