Game of Thrones Season 7 Premiere Pushed to Summer 2017

Game of Thrones fans, Season 7 will not be coming for a very long time.

HBO on Monday confirmed that the drama’s seven-episode seventh season won’t premiere until Summer 2017 as a result of a winter-imposed production delay. The move will take Thrones out of the 2017 Emmy race, seeing as how the eligibility period ends on May 31 (first day of Summer 2017 is June 21).

Prior to this, Thrones‘ latest premiere date was April 24 (for the just-wrapped Season 6.)

“Now that winter has arrived on Game of Thrones, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing,” said HBO’s president of production, Casey Bloys, in a statement. “Instead of the show’s traditional spring debut, we’re moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule.”

Production on Thrones‘ seventh season will commence later this summer in Northern Ireland. Additional shooting locations include Spain and Iceland.

Season 7 directors will include Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Matt Shakman and Alan Taylor.

News of the delay, and subsequent awards-season fallout, comes in the wake of Thrones‘ scoring a leading 23 Emmy nominations, including best drama series.

1. Tom says:

I wish they would just do one long season instead of two short ones.

2. Will says:

While it’s unfortunate for the series, it will be good for new/other shows to get some Emmy love with GoT (and Downton Abbey now that it’s ended) out of next year’s race.

3. Daye says:

How did it work with Mr. Robot? How is the show eligible for 2016 Emmys when the 2nd season premiered in July??

4. Brigid says:

So dumb! This didn’t work for Mad Men. It’s not fair to the fans to wait over a year for a short season and than another year for the last short season. I’m sure this is to get GRR’s book out so he can make some money before no one cares because they saw the ending on TV.

• lechatnoir says:

This gives me plenty of time to catch up on season two to six . sorry for the die hard fans

• johnhelvete says:

Actually it did work for Mad Men. Instead of having the final season go up against Breaking Bad at the Emmys, Mad Men had one last shot at the Emmys and Jon Hamm got his Emmy. Also not buying this is all about the money. If it was all about the money, than HBO would force the writers to make a 10 episode season 7, premiere it in April of 2017, and than do a 10 episode season 8.

• Walkie says:

Get used to it. TV has moved away from that expectation that a new season needs to premier every year. This allows the production teams to put out the very best product possible without having to meet some arbitrary deadline.

5. Kevin K says:

Not going to wait for almost a year until the new season of GoT premieres.

6. redjane12 says:

Well at least Cersei gets to enjoy more time (albeit offscreen) on the Iron Throne… Can’t help but think she won’t be on it much longer once Season 7 debuts…

7. Luka says:

Pft….

8. Gus says:

Someone enlighten me: Will season 7 be eligible for the ’18 emmy race? And season 8 would be eligible for 2 years later?

9. Kevin K says:

Wonder if there’s going to be six episodes for the eighth and final season of GoT. No complaining

10. I’m okay with this. I’d rather wait for a good story than have them rush production and exhaust everyone. This also gives Martin time to get his TWOW out. (I hope he does.)

11. Derek says:

Sure, its lame. But guess what?

Its still going to be the BEST final two seasons of ANY TV show EVER!

And you know this. So stop whining and wait patiently like the rest of us.

=)

12. Lewis says:

Well since we have to wait til the summer for Season 7 the least they could do is extend each episode an extra 30 minutes.

• Phoenix5634 says:

That’s what I’m hoping for, hour an half episodes, at least. It’s an insult to the fans the amount of story they will be cutting away. Just think, the war for all of Westeros and the world, is going to be the shortest war of the series. It’d be laughable, if it was so disappointing and insulting. They’re just going to try an “Wow” us with special effects, that’s probably it. Probably will lack any intellectual or philosophical dialogue as well, which the earlier seasons did so well.

13. Phoenix5634 says:

I don’t barely care anymore. 13 episodes is a totally butcher job, and I don’t really care if I miss that or not. And I used to be a huge GoT fan, Still am, which is why I’m so disappointed. The problem with 13 episodes, it’s just going to ruin the whole series, it’s too short, an any real fan can basically predict the exact outcome from what’s left, and the future glimpses already shown. I really wish everyone involved with this show wouldn’t have got such giant egos after all its success. Those egos have ruined the greatest series on television.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Okay I do care, but I’m more than disappointed in the decisions the writers/EPs have made for the ending of the best television series of the type possibly ever. And I just really hope they don’t ruin it, but they pretty much already have with this 13 episode nonsense. Please reconsider, and rewatch the first few seasons. Please writers/EPs. It’d be in your best interest as well, if you butcher these final seasons, you’ll lose all appreciation and credibility we had in you.

14. Pat Frank says:

great, another “Sopranos” . Fans DEMAND AND MAKE THEM LISTEN. It worked with John Snow !

15. Zunobri Sampson says:

It’s a shame that the series won’t make it for the awards it is really an excellent series. I haven’t enjoyed any series as much as this one

16. Jim J. says:

Now that they’re officially going ahead with the plan for reduced 7th and 8th seasons of “Game of Thrones”, I just want to ask this: Exactly why are the last two seasons of “Game of Thrones” being shortened at all? If I was even a die-hard fan of “GoT”, this is the point where I would quit watching it.

17. KinkyB says:

Fugetaboutit.. I can’t take the wait.