Fully Clothed Antonio Sabato Jr. Draws Raucous Cheers With RNC Speech

Antonio Sabato Jr., best known* for his sensational black-and-white Calvin Klein underwear campaign in the 1990s, found the first fully convincing speaking role of his career at Monday’s opening night of the Republican National Convention. (*to the gays, anyway)

Plainly calling himself “not your typical convention speaker,” the General Hospital and Melrose Place star — who more recently has appeared on Dancing With the Stars and the VH1 dating series My Antonio — declared that “my belief in this country and my faith in Jesus Christ have compelled me to speak now.”

“Our rights have been trampled and our security threatened,” said Sabato, who described his decision to move to the United States from Rome in 1985, and become a naturalized citizen in 1996. “Others who want to come to the U.S. to live and work should follow the same rules!”

Sabato’s speech, which contended that America is “weaker by almost every measure,” was short on specifics, but heavy on passion. “Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton promote division. Don’t be fooled: Donald Trump is for unity. Donald Trump believes in one America with liberty and justice for all.”

Sabato ended his talk by saying that it’s the duty of government to “secure borders and protect citizens,” adding that “none of this is hateful, it’s the right thing to do!”

Were you surprised by Sabato’s political turn? Did it resonate with you? Or are you putting your Calvin Klein poster through the paper shredder as you read this? Sound off below!

1. Gina says:

America is being trolled hard at this point, right?

2. karenb says:

“Donald Trump is for unity? Donald Trump believes in one America with liberty and justice for all?” Seriously?! Antonio needs to get back in his own lane. Looking pretty is what he does best. Just another pretty face who has no clue about the person he’s supporting.

• Sarah says:

Trump believes in unity of race (i.e., whites only). I love hearing immigrants such as this twit praising Trump who hates immigrants.

• David4 says:

He only hates Muslim and Mexican immigrants, he seems to really love certain ones (aka his current wife). lol

• Angela says:

On the note of his current wife, by the way, given what I’m hearing about the GOP platform sticking with the “traditional marriage” mindset, it’ll be REALLY fun to see how the GOP tries to reconcile their attitude on that issue with the fact that their presidential nominee’s been married multiple times (and has he had affairs as well? I can’t recall).

• Tim says:

Yes! with his second wife, Marla Maples

• David4 says:

That never stopped them.

Speaker of the House during Clinton’s affair had to resign… for having an affair, the same with the next guy and then there was the guy during Bush years who were paying off now adult guys for raping them in high school. Yet they wanted to ban gay marriage.

It’s where the ‘joke’ comes from… “Republicans like family values so much, it’s why they have several.”

• Angela says:

David4: Oh, yeah, I know that. You’re right that it won’t stop them. I’m just really interested to see how they’ll continue to keep twisting and explaining away their warped logic on the issue, is all :p.

• Mary says:

They remind me of the old day, showing my age, when your parents use to say “Do as I say not as I do”. They all preach but majority don’t live by example.

• Lucifer says:

His wife is a legal immigrant, the ones he doesn’t like are illegally here. You people sound as ignorant as that BLM guy who was attacking a black Trump supporter.

• Lucifer says:

You are part of the problem and the division by spreading flat out lies. Illegal immigrants = all immigrants.

• geegee says:

I imagine if a comment like this was posted towards a female democrat, there would be vitriol in the commentator’s face, slaps over their ears and endless name-calling, but since it was aimed towards a male republican, well that is more than fine, then.

• Anna says:

Much worse comments are said about female democrats all the time. Except usually they go both directions – not just saying that someone should shut up because they’re just a hot set of boobs (or something gross like that), there are tons of people saying that a woman is too ugly for anyone to care about what she has to say. Those types of comments made about Nancy Pelosi, Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, etc. are way too often met without vitriolic response in comment sections. I hope you comment every time you see one of those as well.

• Lucifer says:

The big difference is that it’s socially unaccepted to say those things about female democrats and when someone does say something rue about their looks, they are met with plenty of backlash. All I see here are people applauding Karen. And let’s not pretend Michael didn’t stoop that low as well by pointing out Antonio used to be known for taking his clothes off for the camera.

• geegee says:

So, what you’re saying is that since worse things happen, it is acceptable to make exceptions? That is not how principles work.

Which is why I pointed out the hypocrisy.

And before your mind settles on the “fact” that I am just another filthy Republican, I am European, so luckily have no horse in this race.

Both (Trump and Clinton) are, frankly, disgusting as potential presidents that will have the power of decisions that affect not only your country, but mine and many others as well.

• Mary says:

Sorry your wrong. Their was backlash when Trump made rude statements about certain Republican females so it is not just the female democrats.

• k says:

“Looking pretty is what he does best” could not have said it better!

3. Sarah says:

My God Americans are stupid. Wow.

4. David4 says:

I loved when he said Donald Trump is running for president because he loves America when Clinton is running because she only cares about herself.

I literally went “What the… is he on?” trump announced his VP and talked about himself for 30 minutes before wacko Pence said anything.

5. Tearing up those old Antonio Sabato, Jr. posters when he was attractive.

6. Tony Lang says:

I would’ve paid to see him do that gig side-by-side with Lorenzo Lamas and Luke Perry. “Ladies and Crackers, please give your undivided attention to our special guests: Three failed 90s Wannabes!”

7. MRD says:

Opportunistic and desperate of Scott Baio and Antonio Sabato Jr. to get themselves out there for the first time in years this way. Too bad they could not use Clint Eastwood’s chair as a prop.

8. Ruben Guerreros says:

Stupid

9. Tammy Allen says:

Great speech :)

• Mary says:

That is subjective. I find it ironic that many of these speakers think that America isn’t great. Maybe they all should go to another Country and see what it is like. If he truly believes that the last 8 years was so bad maybe he should of went back to his homeland in Italy. He probably is upset that the truth is out only got acting gigs because of his looks and now they have disappear. His statement about Trump for unity is an oxymoron right.

• Lucifer says:

I find it weird that BLM and feminists claim America is a white supremacist patriarchy 24/7 and claim they are oppressed even while sleeping, yet they stay in America. Maybe they should go to the middle east and see what actual oppression is.

• Angela says:

Well, hey, that’s not all that different from the Republicans going on about how Christian values are “under attack” and Christians are being “persecuted” for their faith because they think it’s okay to deny same-sex couples the right to get married and people dare to actually get upset about that. Or going on about how they need to “take their country back” from…whomever they think has stolen it from them. So I guess we’re even on the “persecution” front, huh?

• Mary says:

Equality for ALL is a founding principle of America if you didn’t understand that part of the Constitution, and that does include Blacks, feminist, minorities. All these white privilege males who want to make America great again and yet they have yet to single out one reason why it isn’t. Is it because many don’t think they are the dominate race and they feel threaten. Just to point out the BLM and feminist aren’t saying that America isn’t great they just want equal rights. If you don’t understand that you are part of the problem not the solution.

10. Mr. Smith says:

One of the best speeches of the night.

11. matt says:

Then he gave an interview saying he’s absolutely sure Obama is a Muslim so just proves he’s another delusional Fox watching Trumpublican. You criticize the man for going to Church and associating with a reverend. Then you attack him for Being Muslim, which he’s not. Then you copy his wife’s speech word for word and blame it on Hillary. If Mericans are stupid enough to elect Trump, they deserve what they’ll get and the destruction of what this country used to stand for

12. Antonella says:

Obviously his brains are in his Calvin Klein’s!

13. Merilee01 says:

Trump does not hate immigrants. He doesn’t want illegal immigrants in this country & neither does most of America. Excellent speech.

14. Bon says:

You ought to be ashamed of yourself up on that podium saying anything derogitory about Socialism in any way shape or form. I am a United States Citizen. I was born in Arizona. Where were you born? I believe you were born in a communist country and now is Socialist Country. I’m grateful I now live in Vancouver, BC where everyone has healthcare noone is turned away. I have so much more to say about your ignorant statements. I don’t have my time to waste on speaking about you the list is too long! Give all your compadres a big thumbs up your all doing a fantastic job making fools of yourselves

15. DL Torrey says:

TRUMP believes in Liberty and Justice for ALL?!!??? Unless you are Hispanic, Black, Gay, poor, female – the list goes on and on. Can that fool Sabato cite for me exactly how President Obama has made America unsafe? Who was President when 9/11 happened? Who got us into a ‘war on terror’ that killed countless American military lives in Afghan, Iraq and blasted his propagandized WMD and Axis of Evil & other wholly dubious and baseless crap statements??! – BUSH. Sabato is such an ignorant and stupid choice to speak for anyone but Trump – he does justice in that he proves just how wrong this whole Trump candidacy is in so many, many ways.

16. “What is this like the Mafia. You know I use to respect Sabato Jr. Butt the bafoon. Is a little to far on religion. Because the Lord forgives all people even the non believer s. And a neither thing not all Italains are for DT. Tweeter. Know I Don’t know who I will vote for but I not going to believe ever little simple thing.