The Last Ship Recap Season 3

The Last Ship Recap: To the Rescue

This week on TNT’s The Last Ship, the hostages were able to signal their location to the Nathan James — but nothing could have prepared Chandler & Co. for what awaited them on Takehaya’s island.

Having barely dodged last week’s minefield, the Nathan James crew returned to eliminating possibilities from the map of islands supplied to them by Peng, while President Michener did his best to hold off Barnes, the reporter, until he had word on Chandler’s latest status.

Fortunately for the James, Slattery created a distraction that allowed Garnett to slip away and attach the gizmo that Master Chief whipped together, to attach to the radio tower and hopefully hail the ship. And as it turns out, Slattery and the others were not being held on one of the earmarked islands, but some 150 miles away. Just as Chandler and his team arrive on the island, Takehaya learns of the radio tower tampering, and has his men promptly move the hostages, save for Miller and Doc Rios, who are hidden beneath the letting hut with Toshiro and Takehaya’s pregnant wife Kyoto. As such, the rescuers find no one at the camp.

Sasha, though, finds recently macheted reeds, denoting the hostiles’ escape path. They give pursuit, only to have two team members get mysteriously picked off by assailants unseen by neither eye nor thermal vision. After the second kill, a network of tunnels is discovered, into which our guys lob some grenades.

Meanwhile, at the new location Takehaya dragged the hostages to, Diaz is able to cut away his bindings and make a run for it, while Slattery and the others get a few licks in to stall the guards. Diaz meets up with Chandler’s team and leads them to the new location, and they arrive just in time to save Master Chief from being executed. Takehaya escapes during the melee, but the James crew has bigger problems — namely, a small army of MSS goons, apparently deployed by a Chinese destroyer parked on the other side of the island.

Chandler, Slattery and the others empty their ammo into as many baddies as possible, while Miller and Doc Rios (!) engage in some bravado of their own to best Toshiro and escape with Kyoto from the underground bunker. Ultimately it is up to the James‘ five-inch — and some daring acrobatics by Jesse’s helo — to bring the skirmish to a quick halt. When all is said and done, the James lost three during the rescue, including Cruz, who beseeched Danny to let his nephews know he died a “badass.”

Back on the ship, the hostages’ variety of wounds and injuries are tended to, Chandler commends TAO Burk on the tough calls he had to make, and Slattery mourns those, Kudelski included, who lose their lives in the course of the rescue mission. Chandler and Slattery then can only wonder: Who is really behind all of this mayhem and misdirection, if not Peng and or Takehaya?

What did you think of the episode “Dog Day”?

1. Diane says:

Sad about Diaz! Still not over Chung from last season.

2. I think it’s an inside job within the US. The meeting last week, where the president didn’t back down comes to mind.

• KayCeeCee says:

I don’t trust Allison Shaw (played by Elizabeth Rohm), she backed one of the other politicians and now work for the President in the truce deal. I think that she is part of the conspiracy against the President and the Nathan James.

• Janice Prince says:

Allison and Alex were put in place by the regional area folks who tried to coerce Michenor into doing what they wanted. So I wouldn’t doubt that the “mole” is one of them, doing the bidding of the ones that got them appointed.

3. Brad says:

Awesome episode

• KLS says:

The last 2 episodes finally returned to the “Michael Bay” TLS that I liked in season 1. I think the show gets bogged down with all of the back room/politics/conspiracy stuff.

4. JANET CAREY says:

AFTER 1/2 HOUR OF TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE FROM LAST SHIP, LAST WEEKS, MINDGAMES, I GAVE UP . I HAD TO DOWNLAOD YOU STUPID DRIVERS 3 TIMES FOR NO REASON AND STILL GOT NOWHERE, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND PATIENTS. DON’T EXPECT TO EVER COME BACK TO YOUR SITE. THANKS FOR WASTING MY TIME FOR NOTHING!

5. Zoe says:

Great episode! The preview for next week – Woww
    I was surprised they brought into site the president’ s wrists.
    My theory is the president is behind it all even the murder of Dr Scott.
    They keep bringing up the fact that the US is giving out bad vaccines multiple times this season already.
    Sasha my guess is bad too – when they found the map laying around on the desk probably was a set up

• maggieb says:

if it is the President, what do you think his motive is? Just pure evil?

• Zoe says:

My guess still under control by the immunes.
        I did have a theory early on that the president has Dr Scott held captive .
        Looks like next week the reporter starts digging for info on her death.

• KayCeeCee says:

Sasha is definitely up to something. There are implications of a more personal relationship with Peng made by Jesse and Peng himself.

I’m really interested in seeing where the story goes this season.

6. Allie says:

What is with all the panting and hard breathing that McSteamy and Jayne do? It’s starting to totally bug me. It’s like both of them are over-acting and in some weird competition to look tough when they really just look (and sound) like they’re both having asthma attacks. I hate to say this, but S3 sucks badly and not because the harpy doctor is gone (she’s been replaced by two harpies…the helicopter pilot and the other lady who is also a bossy cow.) And, I’m a woman so don’t start the comments about me being anti-woman. It just seems forced and so far from the novelthat it shouldn’t be called “The Last Ship.”

• Jerri says:

Who’s McSteamy and Jayne?

• Clau says:

McSteamy = Eric Dane; Jayne = Adam Baldwin
        Because Eric Dane played Mark Sloan aka McSTeamy on Grey’s Anatomy and Adam Baldwin was Jayne on Firefly.

Idiotic to not just call them Eric and Adam or Chandler or Slattery.

• KLS says:

This has to be explained every week. Hopefully, soon Allie can come to grips with the fact that these are different characters played by the same actors.

• Jerri says:

I guess Allie can’t differentiate between real life people and TV characters. Why Jayne? Why not John Casey? It’s not like Baldwin was only in Firefly. Ditto for Eric Dane and Grey’s Anatomy. They aren’t even the same dang characters in Last Ship. Had Jayne really been on the Last Ship, he’d have betrayed everyone left & right and got off with money and supplies and left a trail of bodies behind courtesy of Vera and a bunch of grenades.

7. Brenda Conner says:

Was hoping that the actor who played Cruz, would get something to do, NOT a death scene! R.I.P, Cruz, wish I got to know you better.

8. Kevin K says:

RIP Cruz :-(

9. Veronica rodriguez says:

Duh loved it! Well I’m upset that Cruz. More than upset but I am refraining from using cuss words so upset is an understatement. This show keeps getting better and better.

10. Julie C says:

Loved this episode. Sorry to have to wait a week for another! I hope the President is not bad. I do not trust Allison Shaw. Nor do I trust Sasha. I guess time will tell.

11. Nat says:

I never thought I would love this show as much as I do. So entertaining. I’m so sad about Cruz but I had a feeling someone was going to die especially with this show. Chandler and Greene seem to be the only safe characters. Hopefully Wolf is safe too. I worry that one of the Burke is going to go too.