Emmys
Emmys Nominations Snubs

Emmys 2016: The 20 Biggest Snubs

Emmy Award nominations were announced Thursday, giving us plenty of stars (Tatiana Maslany!) and shows (The Americans!) to celebrate — but that’s not what we’re here to talk about.

No, we’re here to deliver a (metaphorical) Diane Lockhart slap to the Emmy voters for all the worthy series and performers that didn’t score nominations this morning.

Among those included in our list are scene stealers like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s Jane Krakowski and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom, who had us laughing ’til we had to run to the little reporter’s room. We also lament the lack of nominations for some of this year’s most unforgettable dramatic actors, like Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green and Billions‘ Damian Lewis.

Browse our gallery of the 20 biggest snubs below — or click here for direct access! — then drop a comment with your own thoughts: Which shows and stars were robbed of their shot at Emmy glory?

1. Walkie says:

Stop with the Big Bang Theory crud. The show is so overrated.

• Sarah says:

Thank you! I honestly don’t understand the appeal of that show one bit and was excited to see they didn’t any take any nominations away from the many much funnier shows on tv.

• Ethel says:

I feel exactly the same way about Modern Family. Enough is enough with the awards and nominations. There are other shows out there deserving recognition. I never thought the show was as good as the hype

• flutiefan says:

i agree to a certain extant. my caveat is Mayim Bialik. she deserves the recognition. Jim Parsons and the show itself don’t.

• EV says:

I’m a big bang theory fan from season one, but i disagree, Mayim Bialik is very overrated. It is not a snub.

• Hannah says:

It’s lowest common denominator comedy about smart people dumbing down science – someone once told me they love how smart they feel while watching it because they can understand the scientists. And you can put it on in the background while doing something else, which makes it easy for lots of people to watch. But it genuinely does not deserve to take Emmy nods away from better/funnier shows.

• sntindall says:

Agreed. My Mom loves it and when she visits she’s always trying to force us to watch clips to get her jokes. One of our dogs in named Penny and she does the “Penny” knocking thing and jesus it makes me want to punch my own mother.

• TheWatcher says:

2. Lauren says:

I mean no Unreal nomination?! Come on Emmys, I expect more.

3. Joey says:

Jane Krakowski did the Electric Slide in a cornfield for us (It’s corn-lectric!), and they can’t at least give her a nomination?
    It’s almost worth noting that its a snub that it took them this long to recognize The Americans. It’s a show that’s tailor-made for winning Emmy Awards. The acting and sharp writing just puts it over the top.
    Other than that, I’m just going to spend the rest of the day crying in the corner because of Eva Green’s lack of nomination.

4. Infinite says:

Its insane how Bates Motel is not on this list and even more insane that they weren’t nominated.

• Daphne says:

Agreed! Vera Farmiga was phenomenal this past season (of course Freddie was wonderful too, but she absolutely killed it)!

• Tim says:

Yes, this list isn’t a worthy list without them–or the Leftovers.

• Infinite says:

Omg! She was amazing this season and Freddie Highmore too! Unbelievable that they werent at least nomiated and if not them, then at least the show should be nominated!

• Julia says:

Seriously!! Who does the voting!? Vera has deserved a nomination every season, in my opinion. She creates such a complex character & does it amazingly well. Love her! She deserves more recognition!!

• Steph says:

I was most shocked by this. Freddy Highmore deserves an Emmy. He has nailed Norman Bates down. Vera…the whole cast does a phenomenal job. This season was incredible. I can’t believe not ONE nomination.

5. Daphne says:

Team TVLine: you guys need to fix this gallery by removing Michelle Dockery and replacing her with Vera Farmiga for Bates Motel!

6. DT says:

Connor Jessup for playing Taylor Blaine in American Crime

7. mooshki says:

The competition for female drama lead was way too hard this year, which is kind of amazing! So glad there are finally great roles for women!

8. fatalsin says:

C’mon Lolly on OITNB was worthy of a nod!

• flutiefan says:

i believe this las test season is eligible for NEXT year’s Emmys. and you’re right, Lori Petty certainly deserves it. she was spectacular!

9. Maggie Siff and David Cromer deserved nominations for Billions too.

10. Eric says:

Can I point out that just because something wasn’t nominated doesn’t make it a snub? That being said, I think quite a few of them are snubs, while a couple are not.

Uzo Aduba wasn’t a snub. She was nominated for both S1 and S2 and won BOTH times. Besides, S3 of Orange was their weakest and can see them not nominating her. Now, if she isn’t nominated next year for S4, then I’ll have an issue because she did amazing this season.

Jim Parsons wasn’t a snub. He has won for his role on The Big Bang Theory FOUR times already. I highly doubt he is doing anything new with his role that requires him to get nominated again, let alone win.

Orange is the New Black wasn’t snubbed. Again, S3 is widely known as the weakest season for a reason. I’d rather it get left off the list this year than it get nominated and take the place of a more deserving show.

I can agree that UnReal, Outlander, Eva Green, Christine Baranski, Caitriona Balfe, and Constance Wu were snubbed. Let me also add Gina Rodriquez, Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, and Bates Motel to that list. Instead we get the same crop of nominees just like we usually do. It’s disappointing, boring, bland, and makes the Emmy’s completely overrated. Interesting how the Emmy’s are considered the highest honor for television when their nominations are generally do not match up with the best performances of the year. Or when they do stray and finally award the best nominees, they don’t even win. The Americans was nominated for Best Drama, but you know it won’t win. Instead Game of Thrones will win, which is ridiculous considering it was their weakest season to date. Or Fargo was nominated, but you know it won’t win because American Crime Story will win. Why? Because it’s buzzier. The best doesn’t win. Instead the buzziest show/performance wins. It’s crazy to me, but it is what it is.

• Joey says:

While I’d agree that S3 was Orange’s weakest season, I do think that if they didn’t submit Taryn Manning for Supporting Actress, they should have, and if they did, that’s a snub. Her work, especially in her centric episode and the episode that followed, were fantastic.

• Sarah says:

Strong or weak seasons don’t mean much, since the voting is based on a single episode. That’s how actors or shows who seem repetitive, boring or over-dramatic manage to win; all it takes is one outstanding episode each season (which writers know, which is why you’ll often see certain actors heavily featured in a single, emotional episode). After all, wild mood swings and lots of crying can drive you crazy when it happens every week, but if you only see it once they call it “range.”

11. Bwhit says:

Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are the two glaring omissions. They even got snubbed on this slideshow.

12. Disappointed no Doctor Who nominations since it was finally eligible – hoping at least it would at least get one of the lesser nominations for Heaven Sent. Also, sad for no Jessica Jones love.

13. B says:

Add Peter Capaldi to that list for his amazing season on Doctor Who, and especially for the Heaven Sent episode.

14. flutiefan says:

Jim Parsons is not a snub. So glad he wasn’t nominated.

15. Philip says:

Ugh I hate these threads. We got some great first timers this year and people still aren’t happy that others were left off. Why don’t we have all categories have 500 nominations?
    Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to TV. Cable vs Broadcast. No one is happy. There are so many choices to choose from andso many channels.

I personally, only wish to see new winners for different categories not the same actors year after year (Janney, Louis Dreyfus) no matter how great they are.

• JKR says:

YES! I was just about to write this! So refreshing to see new people get nominated. It gets quite old to see the same ones win year to year.

• johnhelvete says:

Also not a big fan of snub lists. For example, the above list features 5 actresses that could have been nominated for Best Actress Drama. That is almost an entire new list of nominees.

16. Kevin K says:

Don’t know why they left off Miranda Otto from the list even though she was robbed for her supporting role on Homeland.

17. Spence says:

For Orange is the New Black, were this year’s Emmy’s going to cover season 3 or season 4? If it was season 3, the lack of noms is understandable. But if Emmy’s seriously snubbed this show after season 4….

18. LT says:

Alison Wright from THE AMERICANS should’ve been a shoo-in!

19. Ceel says:

Patrick Wilson for Fargo was definitely snubbed, but it’s not really a surprise, because quiet understated performances never get rewarded, even though they are harder to pull off consistently and believably than scenery-chewing ones. He was brilliant.

• Lauren says:

Yes! His lack of a nomination is KILLING me! Especially since Cuba Gooding Jr. did not really impress me in The People Vs. OJ. Especially when you compare him to Cortney B. Vance and Sarah Paulson.

• michaeljosephangelo says:

I, personally, think that he should receive an Emmy nod merely for existing.

20. S says:

Rather than a cable vs. network division (which I doubt would ever happen), what if each acting category was limited to one actor nominated per show? I’m always perplexed when actors from one show fill two, three spots in the same category. Such a limitation would force a choice for who is perceived as the best of those nominated from the same show and allow for the inclusion of more shows, would would presumably cut down on snubs. Some actors seem to get nommed because of their show’s cachet, rather than their performance.

21. Julia says:

The Leftovers and Bates Motel were even snubbed from the snubbed category?!? Ayiyi

22. ? says:

The snub list is just like the actual Emmy nominations, filled out with overrated (Jim Parsons, Mayim Bialik) and missing actual snubs.

23. Ally Oop says:

How can Rachel Bloom win the Golden Globe but not even get nominated for an Emmy? I just bingwatched the entire first season and she is frakkin talented.

• Patrick says:

Because the Golden Globes are awards handed out by a handful of Foreign Correspondents. The awards are, for lack of a better explanation, for sale. Warner Brothers bought an award for a show it considers a prestige property. Winning a Golden Globe isn’t something to brag about anymore.
      Fans of Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and Whatever the Virgin, hear this: The shows are OK. They aren’t great. The lead performances often venture into melodramatic, and the actresses themselves are way too smug about their mediocre performances.

24. dancmh says:

Eva Green never got the respect for Penny Dreadful she deserved.

25. Courtland says:

Your lack of Aya cash for you’re the worst disappoints me

26. BoJack Horseman!!! This is possibly the greatest animated show of all time and it didn’t even get nominated for Outstanding Animated Program or even Outstanding Voice Actor for Will Arnett!

27. btm says:

What should replace these snub! lists is each TVL contributor’s own set of nominees, up to the six or however many nominees are allowed per category… I say this because when you read these lists each year, adding up the stream of consciousness rants leaves many contributors (or editors) promoting 10+ names/titles per category. It stretches the meaning of the word snub past the breaking point.
    How can one list seven or more snubs in an acting category that only has a maximum of six nominees? Even allowing for contributors’ tacit elimination of ALL the nominated names, the contributor is effectively snubbing one or more of his/her own snubs in a post about snubs.
    Now, maybe a contributor wants to make the case for larger categories with no set limit, Best-Picture-at-the-Oscars style. That’s fair, but we never actually see that. We only see click bait (in galleries of course, to maximize page hits) lists with an inordinate number of so-called snubs. Those lack the context that serves as a reminder that this is a zero sum game. For something to get nominated, something has got to go. Sure, it’s often easy to kick out the first one or two names in a category, but then it starts to get much harder to do. For each list of snubs, contributors are probably reluctant to punt more than half of the actual nominees.
    Isn’t there eventually a saturation point, and isn’t it where the number of ‘robbed’ nominees exceeds the nomination limit? When you don’t force contributors to make their own lists, you don’t force them to make those tough choices.
    Shrug. There is a lot of quality niche and/or a la carte television being made today, on top of widely popular network fare. Plenty of it isn’t going to get formal recognition as a result. Summoning outrage when one of 15 excellent programs doesn’t get recognition in a category with six nominees seems a little rich. Anyway, here’s a vote for fewer snubbed! lists and more nominees lists instead (and no sneaky honorable mentions either! That’s cheating!)

28. iakovos says:

Too much product. Academy appeal with previous winners & nominees. I just wonder who will watch. Reading the nominees rosters is like going through a foreign language. I watch a goodly amount of television — apparently mediocre and bad offerings — as I have not seen much of anything rated by those who determine such.

29. The more I think about it, I’m begining to wonder is Billions even submitted an episode for consideration.

30. Lala says:

I am glad that Mayim & Jim Parsons were left out…TBBT is so overrated. It’s mediocre at best!
    I’m also ok with Rachel Bloom & CEG snub…the show is so over-hyped & a bit over the top. So I guess JTV is officially out too..I don’t see it ever getting nominated again.
    Not surprised by the Eva Green snubs, the nominated actresses were superior in comparison.
    I am happy for the Unreal nod & for the new GOT nods…so well deserved!!!

31. GAMEofTHRONESfan says:

Sophie Turner show have been nominated for Sansa Stark. She was the best character this season.

32. Patrick says:

No Ellen Pompeo? I know that Greys is no longer on their consideration eye, but Ellen was awesome this year, especially the attack episode…its a shame, their actitud to oversee great performers is incredible…

• michaeljosephangelo says:

The dinner episode was her finest work to date but she hasn’t ever been an Emmy favorite. Unfortunate.

33. Iris says:

Where the hell is Alfie Allen’s nomination? The guy has few to no lines and yet he gives you a whole universe of who his character is and feels. Also, NCW and Gwendolyn Christie deserved nods and it’s too bad that Jerome Flynn couldn’t qualify for guest star. Sophie Turner should have gotten a nomination last year. Ironically, had her vocal die-hard fanbase praised and supported the great work she did with an extremely sensitive (but as we saw this season, not gratuitous) material instead of inflating a poinless controversy, she probably would have. Personal opinion only, of course.

• Joey says:

Neither Alfie nor the show submitted him for consideration, which I feel is pretty ridiculous since they always nominate Emilia Clarke, who is by and large the worst series regular on the entire show, and Peter Dinklage, who is a good actor, but has had horrible material to work with this season and last.

• Iris says:

WTH they didn’t? Seriously? It IS ridiculous. I do think that E.Clarke had her best material in a couple of years and P.Dinklage had at least a wonderful scene to submit (with her, as it happens). But Clarke, Harrington and Headey at the very least should be in the “lead” categories so that Allen, Cunnigham, Christie and others could compete as “supporting”.

34. Eric H says:

Michael Emerson needed to be nominated for his role on Person of Interest.

35. Samantha says:

Aden Young and Rectify

36. Ben says:

I know the ‘snubs’ tends to deal with people, but I cannot begin to fathom how Survivor is not back in the mix for Reality Show Competition… it dropped off when it was going through a terrible patch but the last few years have seen a massive resurgence where it is actually better than the shows like Top Chef and Amazing Race which I enjoy as well but which are not at as high a creative peak as Survivor.

37. Ralph says:

Vera Farmiga & Freddie Highmore. Perfection. Emmy voters are just dumb and it is ABSOLUTELY a “who does Hollywood love” award now. Used to LOVE the Emmys, now I hardly bother anymore

38. christopher bee says:

How on earth, this senile Jury could not nominate Bear McCreary´s Theme on Agent of Shields for ” A spy´s Goodbye” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRNysA2C0JA

Not to speak of the fantastic variations of the Outlander Theme Song.

39. Looks like the voters didn’t watch Eva Green’s staggeringly instructive acting in Penny Dreadful Season 2, especially episode : A Blade of Grass.
    If anyone wants to learn to act, watch that episode.
    Shame on the voters for missing this.

40. Sarah says:

Peter Capaldi, Doctor Who. I heard he was a possible contender for his role as the Doctor in the episode Hell Bent. I’m pretty disappointed but unfortunately not surprised. 😥

41. Claire Butler says:

I would add The Leftovers to this, and in particular Carrie Coon.

42. Terri says:

Who do I think got snubbed? One name: Sam Heughan.

43. Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Uzo Aduba wasn’t snubbed…she was featured in seasons 1 & 2 was recognized for it. I don’t think that anyone deserved a nomination for OITNB third season but I do suspect that we will see nominations for Samira Wiley and, hopefully, Kate Mulgrew.

I sometimes wonder is Jane Krakowski is playing herself since Jenna from the Rock seems to be Jacqueline from Kimmy. I would have been thrilled to see Carol Kane nominated for the daffy and heartbreaking Lillian.

Caitrione Balfe deserved a nomination for Outlander. She takes what is, essentially, a Harlequin romance and gives it life and a heart.

I felt that Patrick Wilson was the best performance on Fargo and should have been nominated along with the ones who were.

The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family both had weak seasons but snubbing Constance Wu and Randall Park from FOTN was disappointing.

Biggest Snub: Melissa McBride for The Walking Dead

44. matty says:

I really cannot understand the snubs of Julianna Margulies or Christine Baranski for “The Good Wife”, not to mention the stunning snub of Uzo Aduba!

45. B says:

Christine Baranski isn’t a snub. TGW gave her nothing to do for almost all of the season, and even once they started to use her, she didn’t get Emmy worthy material. Still, it would have been nice to make it 7 for 7 for her.

The biggest snub, and I’m surprised you guys missed it, was Cat Deeley for reality host.

46. michaeljosephangelo says:

Jane Krakowski has always been under-rated. Jenna Moroney was the most vapid, delusional, narcissistic sociopath ever written but I couldn’t get enough. The only issue could be that her Kimmy character is very similar.

Uzo Aduba…over-rated. I don’t think that she was robbed in the slightest.

• Sarah says:

Agreed on Uzo Aduba. I do like her, but she frequently falls into what one director I’ve had calls “schmacting” (aka “indicating” or “I want the audience to know what I’m thinking/feeling” as opposed to the character just thinking/feeling… it’s a subtle distinction, but amounts to faking vs. authenticity). I find her to be one of the ones who can have single great episodes, which is why she wins awards, but over the course of a season loses that edge when it gets repetitive or fake. I also think there have been other actors on that show who have had better performances (both full seasons and single episodes) and been overlooked in favour of the weaker Uzo and Taylor Schilling. Danielle Brooks, Laverne Cox and Samira Wiley had brilliant episodes in the few seasons and should have been recognized more.

47. KAREN says:

NO ThHE MIDDLE, IT’ SEEMS ABC ONLY FOCUSES ON MODERN FAMILY AND DOESN’T GIVE ENOUGH CREDIT TO ONE OF THE MOST REALISTIC SHOWS ON TV

48. TheWatcher says:

So Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt got some nominations while Crazy Ex-girlfriend gets nothing

49. RZ says:

I think that Mayim Bialik is very good but I think that Melissa Rauch is excellent as Bernadette. I guess she is never given a hefty enough role to be considered for an Emmy (or even an Emmy snub).

50. Michelle says:

Vera Fermiga should have been nominated.