The 2016 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and maddening. For every inspired nod (The Americans! Finally!) there was a snub that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no Eva Green again?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.
I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The Americans at long last! And Matthew Rhys! And Keri Russell!
* The Academy recognizing the underrated Thomas Middleditch from Silicon Valley.
* Constance Zimmer scoring a supporting actress nod for UnREAL.
* Louie Anderson getting recognized for his gender-bending Baskets work.
* The best drama series nod for Mr. Robot.
* Maisie Williams!
* Tatiana Maslany scores her second consecutive nod!
* Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt star Ellie Kemper sneaking into the lead actress race after getting snubbed last year.
* Aziz Ansari scoring his first nomination for the debut season of Master of None.
* All the nods for FX’s riveting The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, particular leads Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance.
* Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross getting in there for black-ish. And the show getting nominated too!
* Laurie Metcalf getting a nod for the final season of HBO’s Getting On.
I’m Super-Pissed About:
* TV’s best drama series The Leftovers — and its first-rate cast — getting shut out of the drama series categories.
* Eva Green getting the shaft for Penny Dreadful‘s third and final season (the silver lining: she’ll never get snubbed for this role again!)
* The absolutely Psychotic absence of Bates Motel stars Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore in the lead actress and actor slots.
* Underrated comedy dynamos Jaime Camil and Yael Grobglas from Jane the Virgin getting overlooked. Again.
* Mirando Otto failing to score a nod for her layered, duplicitous supporting work on Homeland.
* No drama series nod for Lifetime’s UnREAL.
* Um… where the hell is Rachel Bloom?! And Jane Krakowski?!
* Broad City getting bubkes.
* Samantha Bee’s Full Frontal getting the full monty.
* Nada for Marvel’s Jessica Jones, namely Krysten Ritter and David Tennant.
* The Academy’s anti-zombie bias infecting The Walking Dead‘s Melissa McBride.
Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.