Emmys
The Leftovers Season 3

Emmy Nominations 2016: My Snappy Judgments

The 2016 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and maddening. For every inspired nod (The Americans! Finally!) there was a snub that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no Eva Green again?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The Americans at long last! And Matthew Rhys! And Keri Russell!
* The Academy recognizing the underrated Thomas Middleditch from Silicon Valley.
* Constance Zimmer scoring a supporting actress nod for UnREAL.
* Louie Anderson getting recognized for his gender-bending Baskets work.
* The best drama series nod for Mr. Robot.
Maisie Williams!
* Tatiana Maslany scores her second consecutive nod!
* Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt star Ellie Kemper sneaking into the lead actress race after getting snubbed last year.
* Aziz Ansari scoring his first nomination for the debut season of Master of None.
* All the nods for FX’s riveting The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, particular leads Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance.
* Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross getting in there for black-ish. And the show getting nominated too!
Laurie Metcalf getting a nod for the final season of HBO’s Getting On.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* TV’s best drama series The Leftovers — and its first-rate cast — getting shut out of the drama series categories.
* Eva Green getting the shaft for Penny Dreadful‘s third and final season (the silver lining: she’ll never get snubbed for this role again!)
* The absolutely Psychotic absence of Bates Motel stars Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore in the lead actress and actor slots.
* Underrated comedy dynamos Jaime Camil and Yael Grobglas from Jane the Virgin getting overlooked. Again.
Mirando Otto failing to score a nod for her layered, duplicitous supporting work on Homeland.
* No drama series nod for Lifetime’s UnREAL.
* Um… where the hell is Rachel Bloom?! And Jane Krakowski?!
* Broad City getting bubkes.
* Samantha Bee’s Full Frontal getting the full monty.
* Nada for Marvel’s Jessica Jones, namely Krysten Ritter and David Tennant.
* The Academy’s anti-zombie bias infecting The Walking Dead‘s Melissa McBride.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. IM MAD ABOUT THE LEFTOVERS TOO SIS

2. Mary Kate says:

Constance Zimmer was nominated for UnReal I thought? Please say she was!! Woohoo for Anna Chlumsky – love her on Veep!!

3. act1collectibles says:

Pissed about no love for Sophie Turner! Pretty sure Dany did seven hells worth of not much this year.

• ABG says:

Every other season I’d have nominated Maisie over Sophie. This year Sophie killed it while Maisie was stuck in her worst storyline yet. That Waif chase was seriously baaaaaaad.

Anyways, hope Lena takes it. She deserved it last year.

• Erin Tiger says:

Dude, totallly! I dont get the love for Emilia..,,imho she’s really not that great of an actress.

• Jec says:

YES!! Sophie was so good this season. Emilia, as wonderful as she is, wasn’t as compelling enough this season. Even though Arya’s storyline wasn’t that good, I’m so so glad Maisie got nominated! She’s been killing it since season 1 and still is so good! But yeah really bummed about Sophie Turner being snubbed and Liam Cunnigham, who was brilliant! I’d nominate him over Dinklage, who while brilliant had nothing to do this season!

• Lala says:

I love Sophie T but in the grant scheme or things, Sansa did not do anything extraordinary this season, her character took a much needed 180 turn that the fans had waited so long for but nothing that in isolation can stand out as a great performance especially when you compare with the performances of the other newly nominated characters Arya (her blind fights, her confrontations with the waif, that street chase etc) & Jon snow in that battle.

• At last! says:

Problem with Sophie is that her acting is too subtle, it paled in comparison to Lena’s and it pales in comparison to Natalie Dormer’s. Add Aidan Gillen or Bella Ramsay to her scenes and Sophie doesn’t come across as the stronger actress.

Maisie, on the other hand, went through the whole range from action hero opposite Faye Marsay to naivete opposite a most solid Essie Davis as Lady Crane. Maisie has always been on a par with Tom’s Jaqen H’ghar but she also had to play a convincing threat to David Bradley’s Walder Frey. She was able to inspire fear where she formerly inspired compassion, portray control where she was able to show desperation, a blind person where she was used to see and just hints of her old self all the while she was giving up to her identity

4. Meg says:

Super mad about the exclusion of Crazy Ex Girlfriend in the lead actress and best comedy categories!! One of the funniest, sharpest, most creative comedies on TV right now. Can nothing break out of the CW ghetto?

• Leona says:

Transparent may have been a comedy last season, but S2 was all drama! It doesn’t belong in the Comedy category! Crazy Ex Girlfriend should have been nominated!!!

• The Beach says:

So true. S2 of Transparent was definitely NOT a comedy. The first episode (the wedding) was pretty humorous but the rest was pure drama.

5. Tina says:

Sarah Drew and Jesse Williams (Grey’s) were robbed again. Two great seasons, neither recognized.

• Mk says:

Totally agree!!

• ABG says:

Grey’s Anatomy is done as far as awards show can tell.

(And if anyone will break that “curse” it should be Ellen Pompeo).

• Anna says:

Can they thrown that attitude towards The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family? Both shows are just as old and tired than Grey’s. And I say this as a MF fan.

And idk about Pompeo – she was great this season (easily the best acting she’s done on the show), but she’s definitely not better than Sarah Drew.

6. natalia h says:

i’m actually okay with all your “pissed about” category, except Jaime Camill because that man deserves a medal for his work, he’s so good. I’ve watched Eva Green do the exact same thing in 5 movies so I don’t get the hype. *shrug*

I’m super excited about The Americans, though. That show is so, so good, so yay. Also, give that Emmy to Tatiana Maslany. The woman is AMAZING and there’s no denying that. We see actors do the same thing over and over again and then she comes along, doing 7-8 characters at the same time and they’re all so different, it’s pure talent. She gets all my votes.

7. Daphne says:

I’m in disbelief over Bates Motel and Jessica Jones… I can’t deal.

8. Metoo says:

Rachel Bloom was ROBBED!!

9. Tina says:

A Tatiana Maslany nomination is all that matters. Until the ceremony, when a Tatiana Maslany win will be all that matters.

10. No love for Lifetime’s UnREAL.

It got a writing nom. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but good for them!

11. Cris says:

I’m also annoyed Jessica Jones didn’t get any nominations. Incredible show!

12. Kenny says:

No love for The Goldberg’s Wendi Mc Clendon-Covey doing some GREAT work and especially the show.

13. Columbus says:

Agreed re Rachel Bloom and Donna Lynne Champlin.

14. S1monetz says:

No Orange is the new black, I mean COME ON.

• ABG says:

Awards show need to get over House of Cards. That show has gotten worse each year. OITNB S3 is probaly it’s weakest so far, so as long as they recognize S4 next year I’m ok.

15. Lisa says:

Agree completely about Melissa McBride. She is in that Lena Heady stage, in that she is soooo good the voters must take them for granted.

Happy for Mr. Robot though.

16. Unless they revamp the categories to differentiate between cable vs. network vs. streaming, the snubs are going to get more and more obvious. Viola Davis ought to feel pretty proud that she landed in the major category nominations. She’s absolutely deserving, but the network shows are soon going to be completely unrepresented in the awards if they continue to be judged with the same ruler.

17. A.J. says:

I’m probably most upset about Jane Krakowski being snubbed for unbreakable kimmy schmidt. She was amazing this season. I thought this would be her year to finally win, after so many years of losing for 30 rock and last year for unbreakable. When I saw she wasn’t even nominated, I was shocked. Also, I knew it was a long shot, but I would have loved for Alison Wright to be nominated for her performance as Martha on the Americans. She was fantastic. Woulda been great to have her be nominated along with Matthew, Keri and the show.

18. GuessWhat says:

SNUB: the boy from AMERICAN CRIME

19. Johanna says:

Eva Green sooo deserves to win, It’s not that I’m a big fan but she really does deserve it.

20. Syl says:

Happy for Constance Zimmer and The Americans.

21. Kevin K says:

Really disappointed about Miranda Otto getting snubbed for her supporting role on Homeland.

22. Jennifer says:

I’m pissed about most of these. I watch NONE of the nominated shows. It’s mostly non-netowrk stuff. Not everyone can afford, or wants to afford HBO, Netflix, Hulu or any of those. And because of the nature of the non-network shows, they can get away with a lot more. Network shows get scr*wed.

• drhenning says:

OTA network TV is hung up on ratings and providing shows people watch en mass to justify the commercials.. As much as many of us love these shows esp the dramas that got nominated, they mostly have low ratings numbers.. it’s the quality that counts and only pay TV can afford to put on the quality and get so-so numbers.. Interesting no Outlander love either though the season wasn’t finished before the cutoff and that was some of the best stuff.

• Simon Jester says:

Do you own a DVD player? Then go to the library and botrow them. The Emmys should not limit their field of eligibility because of your specific viewing habits.

23. Alison says:

Disappointed Zach Woods didn’t get a supporting actor in a comedy nod. No one does painfully awkward like he does! He’s a joy to watch.

24. Lauren says:

I guess the Grey’s actors are never going to get love any more. They were incredible across the board this year. But seriously, why didn’t Fargo get more love? I keep refreshing the nominees list because I don’t see the supporting actors but Patrick Wilson should be in the lead actors. Sorry Cuba Gooding, you stole a spot.

25. Karen says:

I was most disappointed about the blatant snub of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee! I love that show.

26. Annie says:

The Middle. My God, what does Eden Sher have to do to get noticed?! Poor Sue!!

• Julie Pounders says:

I agree, the middle is an amazing show. You really believe the actors are in a family. Sue’s growth and change as a college student isn’t an easy thing to portray, but it was done beautifully.

27. Polly says:

and Bruce Campbell!
    where is his nom in the comedy lead?!

28. When was the last time Modern Family deserved to be nominated for best comedy series? 3 years ago?

29. Grey says:

VERY surprised Shiri Appleby was robbed

30. Kailani says:

IT’S TIME FOR A TATIANA WIN!!!!!

31. Karl inc says:

Outlander? Where is the love?

32. spindae2 says:

I’m mostly pissed for Connor Jessup and Constance Wu. Those two nailed it last year.

After that it is embarrassing that the Emmys are snubbing CW year after year. CeG with Rachel and Donna and Jaime Camil freaking deserved some love. It is not like okay it is one show one actor, get over it Emmys.

33. Tom says:

Dude you’re right Ritter at very least should have gotten a nomination

34. para says:

where is mindy kailing…

35. CJ says:

What about Outlander. I’m super pissed about that.

36. readenreply says:

RUPAUL!!!!! finally, but not the show, sadz

37. Phil says:

Really bummed to see Rachel Bloom not recognized. It would have been awesome to see her sweep three awards shows in a row! Hopefully, this will just make her hungrier and the show more awesome.

38. Lee says:

I agree with the anger over Jane The Virgin snubs and Bates Motel. Also yay for Mr. ROBOT!

39. Jordan says:

Snubs for Rachel Bloom and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are enough for me to start a riot. I don’t know if a snub has ever upset me more, and that’s saying something.

40. digitalred93 says:

I know that you mostly cover acting and writing categories, but for me the ultimate snub was Game of Thrones not being nominated for Best Music (Composer). (For me, music is as much a character of a series as any of the actors). Ramin Djawadi knocked it out of the park this season on multiple occasions. The Tower of Joy theme, the piano music for the opening of the finale, the Dragon theme at the beginning of Episode 9… The list goes on. Best score I’ve heard since the early days of Bear McCreary’s work on Battlestar Galactica.

• Gabe says:

Ramin isn’t even NOMINATED?!? I had assumed he was lock to win with The Light of the Seven and I’m incredulous that they didn’t even nominate him.

• Maggie says:

I am shocked that he wasn’t nominated. The music on GoT, especially in the last episode, was amazing!

41. No Leftovers love is a joke. Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux got screwed. I also can’t stand when someone like Ben Mendelsohn or Margo Martindale get nominated for being in 5 minutes of the entire season, while someone like Alison Wright gets ignored.

42. Gabe says:

I am so annoyed about the Leftovers, especially the cast. They all deserve some love.

Though I am very curious who you would sub out? You listed roughly a dozen actors and actresses you wish were nominated, but you never said who’s spot you wanted them to take. Just curious.

43. J Frost says:

First reactions:

No Carol Kane or Jane Krakowski?
    No Julianna Marguiles or Christine Baranski?
    No Jim Parsons or Mayim Bialik?
    Only Ty Burrell from Modern Family?

Pleased about so much:

Laurie Metcalf’s THREE NOMS! SHE IS EVERYTHING.
    All the Veep love.
    Silicon Valley love.
    Mr. Robot love.
    Bloodline love.
    House of Cards love.
    Louie Anderson love.
    Judith Light love.
    The Americans love – it’s about time!!!
    Ellie Kempler love.

There’s probably more buy these are just my initial reactions!!!

Also not really a fan of GoT so I find their supporting noms presence a bit heavy. Sorry fans!

44. Elissa says:

I thought for sure Outlander would get nominated but I guess that is a no for them again!

45. EV says:

Sophie Turner >>>>>>Maisie Williams /Emilia Clarke this season 😠

• drhenning says:

idk… Sansa had some good scenes but didn’t murder anyone in cold blood!! Sophie just seemed better because he character did more this past season than previous and actually her best scenes were later.. Maisie was terrific in many environments she had to play in. And I think the Dragons should have gotten a nomination.. not their mother..

• At last! says:

I’ve got to agree, it’s not that Sophie’s acting got better, but that the writting for her character involved it more. Still Sophie Tuner, as a performer, didn’t do better than Iwan Rheon, Aidan Gillen or Alfie Allen in their scenes opposite to her character.
        Add female perfomers like Bella Ramsay’s Lyanna Mormont or Gwendoline Christie’s Brienne and Sansa doesn’t stand out as character quite like she did in her scenes with Ramsay, Littlefinger or Theon Greyjoy and, once again, that is only due to writting more than Tuner’s performance.

• Jec says:

Yup! I agree! Although I’m glad Maisie got nominated. Emilia, not so much, Sophie was way way better

46. Alichat says:

I’m super excited about Tatiana Maslany’s nomination and all the nominations for The Americans! But no acting love for Outlander??? I mean, thank god Terri Dresbach and John Gary Steele got costuming and Production Design nominations, respectively. If that had not happened, then I know we live in a….to say it politely…..a messed up world. But no nods for Caitriona or Sam? Come on!

47. Seriously? says:

Enough with Modern Family already. That show hasn’t been Emmy worthy in years.

48. Lola says:

I’ve never cared about any of the shows that were ‘good enough’ to make the major categories, so my current only question is why Agents of SHIELD wasn’t nominated for best writing, directing, special effects, score, makeup or stunt coordination? Are we really going to let ‘4,722 Hours’ pass by almost completely unnoticed? Just goes to show, I guess, that if a show isnt popular then they don’t really have a chance of a nomination, whether they deserve it or not. But what’s new there?

• T H says:

Ohhhhh… I can’t believe I didn’t think of 4,722 Hours! You’re absolutely right about how deserving it was!

49. peterwdawson says:

Not crazy about Unbreakable getting nominated this season honestly, but I mean Season 2 was still entertaining to an extent so sure, why not. The big killer for me was the Leftovers getting dominated as well as Homeland getting a best drama nod when I really felt this last season (and the one before that really) were both pretty lackluster and kinda stupid. I mean I’m fine with acting nods for that show but best drama, no.

50. LT says:

On a positive note…all of these comments listing “snubs” makes me just so happy that there is SOOOO MUCH GREAT CONTENT OUT THERE! A great time to be a viewer!