Emmys

Emmys 2016 Nominations List: Game of Thrones and People v. O.J. Lead Pack, The Americans Enters Race

Nominations for the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on Thursday by Anthony Anderson (ABC’s black-ish) and Lauren Graham (of Netflix’s upcoming Gilmore Girls revival), and HBO’s Game of Thrones led the pack with 23 total nominations, including for best drama and with three supporting actress contenders.

FX’s The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story followed with 22 nods, while Season 2 of FX’s Fargo amassed 18.

TVLine has detailed the major nominees below; visit Emmys.com for the full list. Your job here, as opinionated connoisseurs of TV, is to inundate the Comments section with gushes of glee… or eruptions of righteous outrage.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA (2015 winner: Game of Thrones)
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Mr Robot

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Jon Hamm)
Kyle Chandler, Bloodline
Rami Malek, Mr Robot
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Viola Davis)
Claire Danes, Homeland
Viola Davis, How to Get Away With Murder
Taraji P Henson, Empire
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Keri Russell, The Americans
Robin Wright, House of Cards

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Uzo Aduba)
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
Maura Tierney, The Affair
Constance Zimmer, UnREAL

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Peter Dinklage)
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Kit Harington, Game of Thrones
Michael Kelly, House of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Margo Martindale, The Americans)
Laurie Metcalf, Horace and Pete
Molly Parker, House of Cards
Ellen Burstyn, House of Cards
Allison Janney, Masters of Sex
Margo Martindale, The Americans
Carrie Preston, The Good Wife

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Reg E. Cathey, House of Cards)
Max von Sydow, Game of Thrones
Reg E. Cathey, House of Cards
Mahershala Ali, House of Cards
Paul Sparks, House of Cards
Hank Azaria, Ray Donovan
Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife

OUTSTANDING COMEDY (2015 winner: Veep)
black-ish
Master of None
Modern Family
Silicon Valley
Transparent
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Veep

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Julia Louis-Dreyfus)
Ellie Kemper, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Laurie Metcalfe, Getting On
Tracee Ellis Ross, black-ish
Amy Schumer, Inside Amy Schumer
Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Jeffrey Tambor)
Anthony Anderson, black-ish
Aziz Ansari, Masters of None
Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth
William H Macy, Shameless
Thomas Middleditch, Silicon Valley
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Allison Janney)
Niecy Nash, Getting On
Kate McKinnon, SNL
Gaby Hoffmann, Transparent
Allison Janney, Mom
Judith Light, Transparent
Anna Chlumsky, Veep

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Tony Hale)
Louie Anderson, Baskets
Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Keegan-Michael Key, Key & Peele
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Tituss Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Tony Hale, Veep
Matt Walsh, Veep

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Joan Cusack, Shameless)
Tina Fey & Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live
Amy Schumer, Saturday Night Live
Christine Baranski, The Big Bang Theory
Laurie Metcalf, The Big Bang Theory
Melora Hardin, Transparent

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY (2015 winner: Bradley Whitford, Transparent)
Bob Newhart, The Big Bang Theory
Tracy Morgan, Saturday Night Live
Larry David, Saturday Night Live
Bradley Whitford, Transparent
Martin Mull, Veep
Peter MacNicol, Veep

TV MOVIE
A Very Murray Christmas
All the Way
Confirmation
Luther
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride

LIMITED SERIES (2015 winner: Olive Kitterridge)
American Crime
Fargo
The Night Manager
The People v. OJ Simpson
Roots

LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE (2015 winner: Frances McDormand, Olive Kitteridge)
Kirsten Dunst, Fargo
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Audra McDonald, Billie Holiday: Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar & Grill
Sarah Paulson, The People v. O.J. Simpson
Lili Taylor, American Crime
Kerry Washington, Confirmation

LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE (2015 winner: Richard Jenkins, Olive Kitteridge)
Bryan Cranston, All The Way
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
Idris Elba, Luther
Cuba Gooding Jr, The People v. O.J. Simpson
Tom Hiddleston, The Night Manager
Courtney B. Vance, The People v. O.J. Simpson

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE (2015 winner: Regina King, American Crime)
Melissa Leo, All The Way
Regina King, American Crime
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Hotel
Kathy Bates, American Horror Story: Hotel
Jean Smart, Fargo
Olivia Colman, The Night Manager

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE (2015 winner: Bill Murray, Olive Kitteridge)
Jesse Plemons, Fargo
Bokeem Woodbine, Fargo
Hugh Laurie, The Night Manager
Sterling K. Brown, The People v. O.J. Simpson
David Schwimmer, The People v. O.J. Simpson
John Travolta, The People v. O.J. Simpson

RELATED TVLine Names Dream Emmy Nominees in 10 Races

REALITY SHOW HOST (2015 winner: Jane Lynch, Hollywood Game Night)
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars
Jane Lynch, Hollywood Game Night
Steve Harvey, Little Big Shots
Heidi Klum & Tim Gunn, Project Runway
RuPaul Charles, RuPaul’s Drag Race

REALITY SHOW COMPETITION (2015 winner: The Voice)
The Amazing Race
American Ninja Warrior
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
Top Chef
The Voice

VARIETY TALK SERIES
Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
The Late Late Show with James Corden
Real Time With Bill Maher
The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 18 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel and aired on ABC.

1. ksenija says:

tatiana, yes!

• dkwilley says:

She better win this year – was STOLEN from her last year…….

• ABG says:

Taraji and Viola had worse seasons to work with this year. Robin Wright might get it because they still unexplicably love that show but she doesn’t deserve it this year. Claire Danes had a nice season but she already got two for that role which I think is enough.

I’d give it to Tatiana or Keri.

• Anna says:

It was not “stolen” from her last year – Viola was powerhouse last year and deserved that Emmy. But Tatiana should win over Viola this year. It’s going to be either Tatiana or Robin.

• BillyBobJohnson says:

Anyone who gets to vote doesn’t really know much about Orphan Black and Tatiana Maslany’s incredible performances. They all go for the usual suspects.

• Lala says:

Viola is going to win, she had another strong season. She will take this one again!

• Shelly says:

No one deserves that Emmy more than Tat!

• Maggie says:

I agree. It would be a crime if she never got an Emmy for her amazing work on Orphan Black. She is so skillful at making each clone an individual that you can often forget that it’s the same person playing each part.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

I’d argue that Vera does, though she wasn’t even nominated. Truly don’t understand that one.

2. Gabriel Vai says:

Rami and Tatiana!! The rest of the nominees don’t even matter to me now lol.

• Shelly says:

AGREED 100%

• Lee says:

Hahaha Same!!mr. Robot got 2 nods I’m stoked

• chess says:

Same here, Rami and Tatiana deserve everything.

• Idea Emmy nod:

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:

Tatiana Maslany as Alison
      Tatiana Maslany as Cosima
      Tatiana Maslany as Sarah

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Tatiana Maslany as Helena
      Tatiana Maslany as Krystal
      Tatiana Maslany as Mika

Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Tatiana Maslany as Beth

• Roberta says:

Barbie I so agree

• Doug says:

@Barbie Sounds like you are a Maslany fan.The Best Actress category is packed with great performances.And Kirsten Dunst [Limited Series] in Fargo was amazing.Personally The Americans is my favourite show and I tend toward Keri Russell.But I would not be disappointed if Tatiana wins.

• Actually, I’m not a “fan” of anyone. I don’t fangirl over artists or anything. I adore shows and characters mostly. But Maslany’s work, to me, is absolutely stunning in every way. Being her fan would imply in being into the person (like social media and that kind of thing), which I’m not. As for her work in Orphan Black, yes, that I’m a huge fan of.

• Adrian says:

Agreed. Rami Malek and Tatiana Maslany should win. Both are talented and deserves it. Mr.Robot is the best series ever

3. wrstlgirl says:

Wow that Limited Series category is a tough one. All five of those noms were excellent.

• mrmcgee says:

Right?!

• Maggie says:

So true. It will be hard to decide which one deserves an Emmy the most. As far as the actors go, I would say Sarah Paulson can win for both AHS and The People vs OJ, and I would be happy. I also think that Hugh Laurie should win for the Night Manager. Not only was he brilliant as Roper, but the man is long overdue.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Totally agree about four of them. IMO, The Night Manager wasn’t that great, except for the brilliant Hugh Laurie.

4. LADY_in_MD says:

So happy for the Americans I just started watching on Netflix such a great show!

is this the first time that the late show has not been nominated?

• LADY_in_MD says:

Oh also YAY for Ameican Ninja Warrior love the show its really a great show for everyone to watch and im always rooting for everyone on the show not just one person or team like other reality competition shows

5. Hurley says:

Meh, nothing for Bates Motel. Or Outlander.

6. Bryan says:

I dont watch The Americans (but I’m planning to) and I am so happy they finally got nomanated. Also for Tatiana.

Sad that The CW comedies got snubbed again

7. CK says:

I’m glad that Tracee Ellis Ross and Ellie Kemper got recognized in the comedic actress category. No Lady Gaga or series recognition for AHS is also noticeable. Neither is deserved, but sometimes star power can pull a long running series in.

• ABG says:

FX’s had much better shows with Americans and OJ this year to waste much promotion on AHS so maybe people forgot (it was also their worst season yet so no surprise).

• Anna says:

Lady Gaga’s Golden Globe win made zero sense. There are way too many supporting actresses who did a much better acting job than she did on AHS.

8. GuessWhat says:

so happy for all the love for THE AMERICANS — finally!!!!!!!

9. ABG says:

Rami, Tatiana, Ellie K, The Americans, Keri R, Matthew R. Lots to love on this list.

Shame for nominating HoC over OITNB tho.

10. BrightLight says:

I actually thought I was dreaming when I saw Matthew, Keri and The Americans announced as best drama nominees.

11. CK says:

Omg @ the GoT’s love: Maisie Williams, Kit Harrington, Peter Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, and Lena Headey all got in.

• Maggie says:

I’m so happy that Williams and Harington were added to previous nominees Dinklage, Clarke and Headey.

• Lala says:

I know I’m so happy for Maisie & Kit…this is awesome!! I knew GOT would sweep in the nominations…It doesn’t matter if they don’t win…important thing as they got the recognition!
      Happy Viola & Taraji nods too…I hope Viola takes it again this year. Never watched Confirmation but I’m glad Kerry W got a nod as well.
      I’m super excitied for The Night Manager nods, OJ vs The People, Luther.

12. mmt006 says:

Nice to see The Americans finally getting some nominations!

13. Jessie says:

So disappointment that Catastrophe got no love. OR Aya Cash. OR Rachel Bloom, Michaela Watkins, Gina Rodriguez. OR THE LEFTOVERS. Ridiculous.

14. Mollie says:

His last name is Elba not Alba! Come on TV Line.

15. King says:

Tatiana!!! I wonder how Krystal with a K would react! Hahahah!

16. Joey Padron says:

Happy Mr.Robot, Fargo, American Crime, The People Vs O.J. Simpson, Better Call Saul, The Tonight Show, Aziz, Tom, & Bryan got nominated!

17. Cosima says:

TATIANA!!!!!!! Sad that Sam Bee was overlooked, but so thrilled for Tat!!! I can’t wait for OJ to sweep! Go Sarah Paulson!

18. Tatiana AND Americans noms? Is this a cruel joke?

19. Mike B says:

I don’t get why Conan isn’t nominated… Like ever. He blows the Jimmys out of the water. Nice to see Tatiana Maslany and Mr Robot getting recognition

• Walkie says:

Conan’s show is clearly diminished from what it was years ago. He rarely does filmed bits out of the studio which were always the best. The bits that they do come up with are mostly very tired. Andy seems like he doesn’t want to be there. And they can’t get good guests.

20. DmC says:

Seriously, nothing for Outlander!! If not for the show, at least for the fantastic lead actors. Enough with Robin Wright and Viola Davis. Bring in new extrodinary actors. Kudos though for Tatiana!!!

21. Morgan says:

wow They didn’t even nominate Penny Dreadful, Eva Green or Billie Piper. Not to mention Rory Kinnear who had been a scene-stealer since season 1. And what about Krysten RItter and Jessica Jones? She is absolutely amazing in it.

22. Maria says:

What about Blindspot and The Blacklist for drama? I’m very happy for The Americans, but I really wish they recognized some network tv. What about James Spader for best actor?? He is The Blacklist…Sooooooo happy for Tatiana though!!

23. Lyn says:

Of that entire list I only watched Downton Abbey. So far away from mainstream I can’t even see the water.

24. Jeff C says:

Mr. Robot! Yes!!!!!
    Rami and the rest of the cast/crew deserve it

25. Karen T. says:

So happy for the well-deserved nods for The Americans and Tatiana Maslany! Probably won’t win given the Emmy’s track record, but glad they were recognized. I can’t believe it took them so long for them to recognize how great The Americans is!

26. Kevin K says:

Happy that The Late Late Show with James Corden got nominated.

27. Lauren says:

Wow, Fargo vs. OJ in so many categories. I don’t know who to root for! They both had such amazing talent.

28. Ron says:

Well, I’m impressed. This is one of the most varied and non-repetitive nominations list for the Emmys in quite some time. Sure, there are repeaters on here that probably shouldn’t have gotten nominated. But all in all, for the Emmys, I’m quite happy.

29. Mo says:

Guess the voters did not think much of American Horror Story Hotel? Gaga. for a few years there most of the cast was nominated.

Where is “the left overs?”

30. Alanna says:

Outlander deserved to be nominated – show and actor/actress – without a doubt. This will be another year I boycott.

• Barb says:

This is so bogus! OUTLANDER is one of the most popular series on tv…..with one of the most talented cast….Once again I won’t be watching….

31. Hurley says:

Mmmmmmm I’d have prefered Sophie Turner nominated rather than Masie Williams, but happy for her!

32. WTH, no Outlander? The nominating committee must be blind, deaf and dumb. Bleh

33. Nikki says:

Glad to see nods for The Americans!
    FYI- you left Constance Zimmer out

34. CatGray says:

Thrilled to see Tatiana Maslany nominated; irate not to see Constance Wu nominated.

35. TvLover says:

Yes! About time! Tatiana Maslany finally got the Emmy people to nominate her! WooHoo!
    That lead actress category is going to be a tough one this year.
    I’d just switch out Claire Danes for Caitriona Balfe, or Emmy Rossum otherwise I’m good with that category.
    Good for black-ish!
    And Outlander I’m sure will have plenty of opportunities for nominations once Downtown Abbey is no longer in contention.
    Though I don’t watch either I was surprised Billions, and The Good Wife weren’t at least nominated this season.

36. Ann says:

WHAT?? NO VERA FARMIGA?? NO FREDDIE HIGHMORE? I am done

37. Samantha says:

And once again, no love shown to Outlander, even though it’s one of the most deserving shows on TV right now. How disappointing… -_-

38. D. Holland says:

And again Michael Emerson is ignored for his brilliant portrayal of Harold Finch in Person of Interest! Of all of the seasons this one should not have been overlooked!

39. pickles says:

The lead actor category is tough. With the exception of Kevin Spacey all actors were outstanding and intense. HOC to me just wasn’t as good as the first 2 seasons.

40. Sue says:

Happy for The Americans but seriously, what about Outlanders?? Come on now Academy, you can do better.

41. ninergrl6 says:

Really disappointed that Outlander & Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got snubbed, but I’m thrilled for all the Game of Thrones nominations. Season 6 was much better than season 5 IMO. And YAS for Audra McDonald!

42. So bummed about The Leftovers getting completely shut out. The second season was so good and the cast gave great performances. I wish they had put Dunst, who was so good in Fargo, in the supporting category because it is going to be impossible to beat Sarah Paulson. She was amazing as Marcia Clark! People vs OJ, I think, is going to win a lot of Emmys!

43. Nancy Antley says:

I loved the movie “outlander”! I’m hopeful that it and the wonderful actors get some recognition please. Thank you so much

44. Wahidr96 says:

The Leftovers, Connor Jessup and Joey Pollari from American Crime were snubbed.
    John Travolta over Jessup and Pollari, two amazing young actors. Seriously?

45. Christine says:

Outlander snubbed again. Emilia Clarke gets a nom? Seriously?

46. Heather says:

THE AMERICANS!! KERI! MATTHEW! Yes!! Also really happy Tatiana is up again. Sad nothing from Fresh off the boat is up, but my happiness with the Americans finally getting some recognition overtakes that at the moment.

47. Casey says:

No Christian Slater for supporting in a drama? I thought he was wonderful last season in Mr.Robot.

48. Jennifer says:

I’m pissed about most of these. I watch NONE of these shows. It’s mostly non-network stuff. Because of the nature of the non-network shows, they can get away with a lot more. Network shows get scr*wed.

• Anna says:

You should be pissed about the networks, not about the nominations. The major networks sacrifice quality for ads and ratings. You don’t need a lot of cursing, nudity, or violence to make good quality shows, so networks could (and sometimes do) produce quality programming. But as long as they restrict themselves for the sake of making more money off watered down iterations of the same shows, their shows will continued to be overshadowed by better programming elsewhere.

And Hulu is free, so if you only have basic cable, you can access most of the non-Netflix and non-HBO shows anytime you want. I personally refuse to pay for cable and spend my money on Netflix instead (which is cheaper than any cable bill anyway). Better programming, more options, and I can watch when it’s convenient for me. I would never go back to paying for cable.

• ekolint48 says:

Well said Anna. Plus the networks just have more competition in these day so percentage-wise there is a lower chance, just going by numbers, for noms to go to them.

49. Tracy288 says:

Not one nomination for Outlander. Such a crime.

50. How did Billions Not get any nominations? Paul Giamatti definitely deserved one for lead actor , and so did Maggie Siff for Lead actress, and Toby Leonard Moore and especially David Cromer for best supporting actor.