SYTYCD Season 13 Ratings

Ratings: SYTYCD Slips to Match Series Low, BrainDead Dips Further

So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation’s first live show on Monday night drew 2.88 million total viewers and a 0.7 rating (per finals), slipping two tenths in the demo to match its series low. In total audience, it marked the 13-season-old series’ fifth-smallest tally.

Over on ABC, The Bachelorette (6.9 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth, while Mistresses (3 mil/0.7) was steady vs. its most recent episode with a fresh lead-in.

Elsewhere, CBS’ BrainDead (3.1 mil/0.4) ticked down to new season lows, while NBC’s American Ninja Warrior (6.3 mil/1.8) dipped a tenth.

1. Larry says:

When SYTYCD stops using gimmicks to sell the show -I’ll be back. This is the first season since season 4 I’m not watching. But I’m pretty sure because SYTYCD went the way of using gimmicks to revitalize the show -the show may not be back next summer. So I’m getting used to it not being a part of my summer routine. if it returns without gimmicks -I’ll be there. if it is cancelled -well, changing the core of the show was always a great risk. Perhaps Fox should had thought about that before alienating so many fans.

• Margaret says:

I hadn’t watched all season, but I’d heard that Robert & JT’s piece (in the pic above) was amazing so I watched this episode. People weren’t wrong, the piece was wonderful, but rather than watch whole episodes in the future I’d probably just youtube these two because they’re so sweet.

• Eurydice says:

That dance really was special. I’m pretty hard-hearted when it comes to kids, but I found my self tearing up right away. Many of the other dances were very good, too, but I don’t care about the cutesy segments in between. I’d be more interested in hearing the all-stars and choreographers discuss the challenges of working with kids. I think you’re right that YouTube’s the way to go.

• Shaun says:

heh,should have seen Jenna eclipse her student last night,so funny.The judges are also using kid gloves on them all pretty much.

• DreamRose311 says:

Meh, the last couple years it felt like they were using kid gloves on the regular contestants most of the time too.

• Sally McLinn says:

Some of the dancers are the same ones you see on NBC AGT and Little Big Shots. I caught the last 10 minutes and said, gee — didn’t I see that kid on AGT?

• Jenks says:

I watched about 20 minutes of the last qualifying show and about 10 minutes of it was crying kids. Not my idea of fun TV.

2. Bwhit says:

Braindead was really good last night. I wish it was somewhere other than CBS because even though the premise is strange the acting is very good in my opinion.

• Maux says:

I agree. The show is strange and funny. The guy going off about PBS disappearing cracked me up (loved the shout out to Grantchester!) and the acting is superb.

• V says:

Agree with both of you, and I think Extant had the same rollercoaster ratings situation (correct me if I’m wrong, especially if it was a different series). Depending on how the rest of the season goes, maybe it could pull a Supergirl and move to the CW next season? Worst case scenario of course

• Bwhit says:

I was thinking it would have been a great addition to a streaming service. Last night it hit its stride for me and usually when I do a binge watch it’s the fourth episode that will bring me in. I’m hoping because it’s a summer offering they give it a chance.

• ScottJ says:

I can’t see how the concept could last to a second season. I’m just hoping the show makes it to the end of this one.

3. Max says:

Really, who wants to watch little kids dance other than their own parents, and perhaps dance instructors?

4. Carla Krae says:

The kids are amazing dancers. The routines aren’t watered down at all. Now it’s in the live shows, GIVE IT A CHANCE, PEOPLE!

5. mtmslg@yahoo.com says:

I was a fan of SYTYCD until they went the all kiddie route. Showbiz Kids are insufferable. Glad to see it tanking. Bring back the old format with real dancers.

• LAwoman says:

This is the first season I haven’t watched it. It used to be one of my favorite shows, but this version is just not for me. If this is the final season, it will be sad to see it go out this way.

6. nia says:

So You Think You Can Dance sucks now

7. SYTYCD The Next Generation is a great disappointment. If I wanted to watch adorable children dance, I would go to a local dance studio’s recital. I hope it gets back on track next season.

8. HAP says:

I feel a bit sorry for Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She’s a great actress and she deserves better.

9. Jen says:

I’ll admit I was a naysayer for this new SYTYCD kid approach, and the audition episodes seemed to prove what a disaster this idea had been, but last night’s episode was something else. These top 10 kids were amazingly talented — 3 fairly complex dances and a solo for each, and man, they held their own.

10. Jenny says:

This is the first season in which I have not watched. If I wanted to see kids dancing I would have put on AGT or little big shots! I want to see the experienced dancers! I’m just really disappointed because this will probably be their last season and I hate that they ended it off so horribly.

11. Paula Wiesen says:

anyone not watching this show, needs to tune in. These young kids are remarkable. At first, I was wondering how they’d do a show with young kids….I am so GLAD I tuned in…come on people, fans of SYTYCD, start watching again. I myself, no matter what the dancers ages, am NOT ready to see this show let go…..

12. M. Schneider says:

SYTYCD has hit a new low. We have watched this show from the beginning. It is sick watching grown people danceing with childeren. In the age of teachers having sex with children and pedophile molesting children how is this show even ok with the sensors? This show should be cancelled.

13. B Adams says:

I have watched SYTYCD every season since it first began, except this season with the kids. Hate it and will not watch. NOT THAT THE KIDS ARENT TALENTED, BUT TRULY HATE THE NEW FORMAT. From what I have read, the ratings are so in the toilet this year. Serves them right.

14. dance lover says:

I have changed my original thought – I love the show now. The kids are even better than the professionals – they draw my eyes with excellent choreographies.

15. Marla says:

The routines are great – for kids – but I can watch those on Youtube if I want. The adults are so much better – bring back the real SYTYCD!!! And get rid of the 13 year old judge – WTF does she know? And get her some speech lessons and a vocabulary while you’re at it.

16. C. R says:

I watched basically NONE of this season. I don’t want to watch kids who are pushed beyond reason into a competition like this. Let them be kids, dance, mature, then come back as young adults to REALLY dance! Please bring back my favorite show!!!