Fall TV Preview

MacGyver First Look: Revamped CBS Reboot Amps Up the Action, Trims Hair

In case you were looking for proof that CBS’ upcoming MacGyver reboot would be heavy on action, take a peek at this first-look video, in which series star Lucas Till finds himself holding on for dear life during a high-flying sequence.

“The very first scene of this [episode],” he explains during production on the show’s revamped pilot, “is me hanging out of an airplane… trying to ground it with my Swiss Army knife.”

In between adrenaline-packed stunts, Till man is seen sporting Angus “Mac” MacGyver’s iconic jacket and a new hairstyle. (You might recall that the first photos from the original pilot featured the X-Men actor with longer tresses. Maybe he snipped them with Mac’s blade?)

The cast also includes George Eads as maverick former CIA agent Jack Dalton, who joins MacGyver’s clandestine organization. Till and Eads are “pretty tight now” off-screen, too, thanks to a three-day camping trip, the CSI vet reveals.

MacGyver premieres Friday, Sept. 23, at 8/7c.

Press PLAY above to watch the sneak peek, then hit the comments to let us know if you’ll be tuning in.

1. D says:

i would have preferred a sequel series with the new MacGyver being the originals son or daughter.

• Mark says:

I’m okay with a straight reboot, but I’d like RDA to be running the Phoenix Foundation, taking over the role of Pete from the first one.

• M3rc_Nate says:

That’s what it is. In the pilot trailer (the pilot that is being reshot) he says he is MacGyver’s son.

• Angie says:

He’s not Macs son

• M3rc_Nate says:

“Just like my dad used to say, everything I need is right infront of me” – per the “First Look” trailer for the pilot; youtube.com/watch?v=2pS39X658Vw … so who is his dad (obviously with the same last name) if it isn’t the original? Or the originals grandson?

• Laura Ess says:

It’s more likely to be the original Macgyver’s GRANDSON. Mac and Sam (his son) ride off on motorbikes in the final scene of the original series.

2. Classic fan says:

NO. THANKS.

3. Steph says:

This is going to be a disaster. And to think, they cancelled Limitless for this. NOPE.

• jericho says:

My sentiments exactly. The actor playing Mac just looks … cheesy and uninteresting. The show may have been better if they had made Eads into a modern Mac. CBS just making more bad decisions. POI didnt need to get canned, and they replace it with a show that we learned to love and then canceled that as well… Moonves clearly has his head up somewhere the sun doesnt shine too often.

• Hannah says:

Same! Still heartbroken about limitless

• Temperance says:

They canceled Limitless because it was lame and didn;t pull in the ratings. This just happened to come after.

• Sarah says:

Limitless had good ratings, better than many shows that were renewed. Quality shows like POI and Limitless have long lives on other outlets as well, can’t see this show surviving for long.

• grantdude says:

WHAT? Limitless has been canned?

• Agent 86 says:

Limitless has been cancelled? Gosh darn it! I missed that news and now my day has been ruined.

4. pileobunnies says:

I liked the longer hair.

5. Ceel says:

You should have pointed out that that’s James Wan in the director’s chair. Still won’t watch, though.

6. A. D. says:

Theme song?

7. Could be good, as long as they keep up the speed, reboots stand/fall on timing, Hawaii Five-0 started great because they basically double-timed the action, and story-line(it dulled off a little now).

Hopefully McGuyver can do the same, and keep the speed, and action UP.

8. iakovos says:

Am kind of excited about a cool smart adventure series. And on Friday night! Thank you CBS for scripted programming on what other nets see as an off night.

9. Kevin K says:

I’ll watch the MacGyver reboot at least four episodes but it’s CBS the network that has been #1 for over a decade. No complaining

10. Davidj says:

Ugh, really hope they’re not turning this into just another generic procedural with the same team of misfits and computer geeks we see in every other show these days.

And are they really going to take the time to explain the science and show the individual steps MacGyver takes in order to put something together? Or is it just going to be a bunch of quick cuts and flashy CSI effects that look cool but don’t really tell us anything?

11. KayCeeCee says:

I’m looking forward to it.

12. Matthew B Lawler says:

I absolutely positively hate his hair I think it looks better in the original picture where it was longer I think they just restyled it to more closely resemble MacGyver’s hair from the original series which I think is a huge mistake because that hairstyles not flattering on that boy

13. Amy says:

I don’t know what they were aiming for with that hair, but it took me back to the early 90s and Jon Bon Jovi. Actually I’ll be less petty – it’s far more like the original MacGuyver look than the long hair layabout one in the pilot. I’m a little more hopeful now about the series.

14. nika says:

I wonder what the real Mcgyver “Richard Dean Anderson” says about this new version of the show that made him famous.

15. robin says:

How does his hair have anything to do with the quality of the show?

16. James Finchum says:

Not interested. Despise remakes. How about something original? Something without the millennial clones and obligatory public correctness.

17. Carol C says:

I’m giving it a try. Something to watch before Blue Bloods.

18. Nicole Franco says:

I am super excited for the new Macgyver!! I’ve seen the trailer and can’t wait until l see all the twists and turns. I can’t imagine what it would be like with all the new technology. Good luck Macgyver Dana Elcar would be so proud.

19. Cancelled after 4 episodes…

20. Paloma says:

Would have preferred to see another season of Limitless.

Can’t imagine a reboot of MacGyver. That show was so great. It didn’t age that well. The old episodes are very dated. The original trailer didn’t seen very good so Im glad they went back for a revamp before launching in the fall. Maybe it will surprise me. But very few reboots have been even halfway decent. How about they find some writers to come up with something completely new?

21. Dr. M says:

The article is a bit unclear. Are they reshooting the pilot because the previous pilot (and its trailer) didn’t go over?

22. OnTheFence says:

Did anyone else get a Jared Padelecki (Sam from Supernatural) vibe? The voice, the hair and the face really reminded me of him. I wasn’t expecting that.

23. Strangely, “maverick former CIA agent Jack Dalton” is the thing that upsets me the most about this whole reboot.

24. susie says:

I hate George Eads new haircut. Its gross.