TWD Best Couples

The Walking Dead: Ranking the Show's 15 Best Couples of All Time

As the old Rob Base/DJ E-Z Rock song so eloquently put it, it takes two to make a thing go right (never mind to make it outta sight!). And nowhere is that truer than in the uncertain, post-apocalyptic world of The Walking Dead.

Two by two, time and again, members of the AMC series’ intrepid troupe of survivors have paired up, either simply as friends, as friends with benefits or as something deeper still. And, inevitably, along the way, we’ve become as attached to a few of the duos as they’ve been to each other. (Usually with heartbreaking results for all concerned.)

So, in anticipation of the show’s comeback this fall — and in fear that, when it does return, Negan and Lucille will have torn apart a couple — your friends at TVLine have compiled a list of our 15 all-time favorite twosomes, including not just romantic pairs but also duos using (or who have used) the buddy system to navigate the perilous zombiescape.

Who came in at No. 1? Click on the gallery below to count down from 15, then hit the comments with your favorites, your issues with our favorites — and the pairs that you wish would just hook up already!

1. Beth says:

So glad to see Glenn & Maggie at #1.

2. Lila says:

I agree with the Top 3 but the rest of the list is…not how I’d do it. I’d have Andrea+Michonne and Michonne+Carl in the Top 5. Rick/Jessie belong on the list of worst couples along with Governor/Andrea and Rick+Shane.

3. Muriel says:

I wonder how many people are going to agree with the ‘little sister’ view for Daryl and Beth…

• Britt says:

Well, I don’t know how much time they spent in the woods alone but come on. Daryl falling in love with a kid… I mean the idea of him falling in love, period.

And if would have been hypocritical since Carol warned Axel that Beth was just a kid. She didn’t say, ‘she’s 17 unless you’re hot’.

• peanutlee33 says:

I NEVER paired/shipped Daryl with Beth :) Agreed…..she was mere family and friend for Daryl, nothing more.

• Jess says:

Well they ought to! Because that is what Daryl and Beth were. Siblings.

• The majority agree that Beth was like a little sister to Daryl. He was just trying to protect her. His role as an adult left with a juvenile. I think you should ask how many creepy pervs are going to disagree with it instead.

• Muriel says:

I always find it interesting when people make claims like ‘the majority’ because that data is based on what exactly? Anyway, I think it’s interesting that it’s mentioned as ‘brother and sister’ kind of relationship. Why does it have to have that ‘sibling’ mention, as if two people of the opposite sex can’t be just plain friends because of their ages? Is it added so people won’t feel ‘icky’? I personally am fine with whatever their relationship was or wasn’t but if you have a look at Tumblr, you know that there is a lot of shipping going on for more. I think it’s an interesting question.

• Jess says:

I’d say it’s listed as such =because= of the group of people on tumblr (which isn’t a majority compared to the 15 million who watch this show) who =were= misinterpreting that relationship. Just because Daryl has screentime with the opposite sex doesn’t automatically mean it’s instantly romantic. She was 17 years old. She was a teenager on the show and portrayed as one in every way to every character more than once. Even Carl had a crush on her in season 3. It was never supposed to be about romance with Daryl. They were together for 2 episodes, which were blown way out of proportion to what is actually shown on screen. They did everything in the script they could to prove it was a sibling bond or one where Daryl felt responsible for her as an adult over a child. (the way she flips him off like a teenager would do to an adult; Daryl finding her her first “drink”, like a big brother would; the piggback ride; the big bottles of POP sitting on the table; the way they both talked about their blood siblings with each other etc. all of that was intentional) She represented hope to him, nothing more than that. I think TVline defined it to help clarify.

• Britt says:

I hope you’re right.

That whole Beth asking “what changed your mind” and Daryl just looking at her was misleading, I guess. I assume the writers are not stupid and aware that people on tumblr make a big deal out of everything. (Carol/Daryl hug I thought was something normal friends do, apparently that’s romantic).

I just hope the writers won’t give in to Caryl.

(I’m a non-shipper, romance just slows everything down and takes precious minutes away from action.)

• Jess says:

There is no way Daryl thought of Beth as anything other than a sister. The “look” he gave her was about hope. She provided hope for him when he was at a very low stage and had all but given up. They even paralleled it with Sophia twice and the creator (Robert Kirkman) has expressly come out and said that it was not romantic.

But you’re talking to the wrong person about Daryl and Carol. Because I do think they will turn romantic, even if they haven’t yet.
            And I do not see it as “caving in” at all, I see it as a way to take a stand against stereotypes. And I applaud the show for depicting a =real= love story in that way. It’s very rare on TV for an unconventional couple to actually become a couple. So it would be a bold and awesome statement for twd to make, imo.

• Britt says:

I don’t see what’s unconventional about them.

But I’m always rooting for friendship. Non-romantic opposite sex friendship without unresolved sexual tension? Now that’s unconventional.

• Jess says:

You don’t see how a domestic abuse survivor who has had to overcome a myriad of issues both before the apocalypse and after, with physical and emotional scars (instead of flawless/immaculate skin), who has short gray hair (as opposed to the traditional long flowing locks), is a representation of female empowerment herself being paired with and a man who has the same emotional/physical scars, abusive past, and who has always been treated as a trash product of his upbringing instead of the man he actually is inside finding romance is unconventional?

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that entirely then.

They are the polar opposite of the typical =romances= you get on every other show. This isn’t a Ken and Barbie depiction. It’s real and raw and refreshing imo.

And the show =does= depict a friendship with no unresolved sexual tension through Rick and Carol. And previously, Andrea and Rick. Or even Andrea and Daryl.

I think it would make much more of a statement within Hollywood to allow Carol with Daryl romantically than to throw the entire issue away.

• Britt says:

That’s what I don’t get. Two people of the same age with the same issues starting a relationship is normal.

• Jess says:

Lol. So, you completely ignored everything I said about =why= it makes them unconventional and unique, then?

One more time, it would be breaking stereotypes given =who= these characters are. Which I happen to think is very important amidst a superficial and narrow-minded medium that continues to spiral out of control nowadays.

TWD =can= take a stand with Caryl. And I think it will be an awesome challenge to the rigid mentality that Hollywood puts forth if/when they do.

4. Jamie says:

Would have liked to see Deanna and Reg in there since they ‘built’ Alexandria and probably were the most stable couple (albeit with their heads in the sand).

5. Tammy says:

regarding the walking dead charms necklace: the hatchet is Hershal (his leg was amputated with one), the gun is of course Rick, the bow-Darryl, the lantern is Morgan (he started his apartment on fire with one), the binoculars are Glen(he first spotted Rick with them), and of course the hat is Carl (he wears his dads hat). I spent a bit of time thinking and researching this. Let me know if you agree. If not, what do you think? and Why?

6. Bwhit says:

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that one of the top two relationships will be no more thanks to Negan and Lucille. If I am expecting it to be Glenn or Daryl and it isn’t, I’ll be pleasantly surprised!

7. Diane says:

My faves are Eugene/Abe, Carol/ Daryll, and Beth/Noah, whose potential was literally killed.

8. Annie says:

Ummmm what about Daryl and Rick???? Now that’s true love😉

9. peanutlee33 says:

Okay…. For the record, Daryl and Beth were never any *couple* nor was anything particularly hinted at that. The same goes for Carol and Tobin. She kissed him. But so what. Carol wasn’t in right mind. And Tobin was never Daryl. End of story. Rick and Jessie were never any actual couple….Dale and Andrea were always father/daughter. Daryl has always been with Carol….hence Caryl. And that has never changed.

• Kimmielovesdaryl says:

Wait, wait wait Peanutlee33! Carol & Tobin were never really a couple? They “only kissed”? You must have forgotten that the episode Carol left Alexandria, she had just given Tobin a very “sweet” goodbye-she was leaving his bed! They were in a relationship, do not doubt it!

• peanutlee33 says:

I do doubt it, because their kiss was no different than Rick kissing Jessie, who were not in any actual relationship. Rick was just briefly infatuated with her. Carol kissed Tobin because she’d needed something. And that was totally understandable, and why she briefly got with him. However, there was no love between them, that was obvious. And that ‘goodbye’ note was pretty generic. Nothing romantic, just an apology to everyone for her departure. There was never any chemistry or connection between them. The only absolute ‘connection’ Carol has ever had is Daryl. I do NOT doubt that. :)

10. mrmcgee says:

I love TWD, but is TVLine contractually obligated to have at least 2-3 articles about the show each week? Pace yourselves team, we have a while until October.

11. Carol's cookie says:

Carol shipped to Tobin felt more convenient for Carol than Carol actually caring for Tobin. She is an ex victim of spouse abuse and that has an effect on the way she thinks. If you pay attention to how she responds to him, it is more to placate him. She did feel flattered by his viewpoint but it also felt like she did what she thought was expected of her. Living dual lives has confused Carol. Please writers of the show I plead! Do not let Carol go out a chump who gives up. She passed that window when her daughter came out of Hershal’s barn. She moved beyond that when she showed up at Terminus.Carol is an evolved Character ,please don’t make her regress. If you want to kill her off use an explosion , a herd,or a big bad …Please?

12. How about the double double from perhaps the series best episode? Eastman and Morgan. Morgan and Tabitha.

13. Jess says:

I love this list! Carol and Daryl at number two! Perfect. Love all of the top three.

14. Damitche says:

Completely missed Rick and Darryl’s “bromance”!!

15. Laura says:

Maggie and Glenn
    Carol and Daryl

16. ann says:

#14 — Aaron and Eric. What happened to Eric? I don’t remember seeing him or hearing about him in a really long time.

17. Raven and William says:

Worst is Michonne and Rick. Zero chemistry. Sorry, I literally laughed at them when they first made out on the couch.

18. Trinity says:

CARL AND ENID. they’re so cute because they really understand each other, even in a time like this. ❤️❤️

19. Trinity says:

GLENN AND MAGGIE. THEY ARE ACTUAL GOALS AND I HOPE THEY MAKE IT TO THE END.

20. Stenlly says:

I think that Glenn and Magie are the best couple, but everyone is saying that Glenn is killed by Negan. Now I am waiting for the new season to see if Glenn is dead. I hope it’s not true.