HTGAWM Italy Gax Sex Censorship

HTGAWM: Gay Sex Scene Censored in Italy, Station Blames Editor's 'Modesty'

The Italian public television station Rai 2 has promised to re-air the pilot episode of How to Get Away With Murder after claiming that a staffer mistakenly censored from the original broadcast a sex scene between Connor and Oliver.

As revealed in this side-by-side comparison shared on Twitter by an Italian HTGAWM viewer, Rai 2 edited out the flashback cutaway that revealed how Connor came to possess, via his very first hook-up with Oliver, some documents Annalise needed for a court case.

Upon learning of the edit, HTGAWM showrunner Pete Nowalk expressed on Twitter that he was “shocked and disappointed,” then set out to share a clip of the scene as it was meant to be seen.

Shondaland boss Shonda Rhimes also chimed in, saying, “Censorship of any love is inexcusable,” while Jack Falahee, who plays Connor, questioned that “audiences in Italia aren’t ‘ready’ for real life?

The HTGAWM episode (and others) aired unedited during its premiere run in Italy, on Sky’s Fox platform. Rai 2, a public television station, airs the ABC drama in its second run.

According to Italy’s Corriere Della Sera, a director for Rai 2 explained that a female editor made the edits without his supervision, and that the episode would be rebroadcast in its entirety on Sunday night. Rai 2’s Twitter feed in turn blamed a mistaken excess of modesty in the decision-making, for which it apologized.

Nowalk promptly thanked Rai 2 for acknowledging the oversight, while Rhimes invited Twitter followers from other countries to alert her of any other instances of censorship.

1. Deb says:

They are just homophobic bigots and thery’re trying to cover their mistake by blaming the editor. Seriously? An editor just does whatever she wants? Suuure. I’m italian and i wish I could say that I’m ashamed of my country right now, but lately it’s a sentence that I’ve been repeating way too often.
    #Coliver, #dontcensorlove #NO8

• George Lewis says:

There’s no such phobia. It’s just a creation of homosexuals & their apologists. I’m an American.

• Angela says:

You’re also incredibly ignorant and wrong.

• Scream Queen says:

You are correct. There is enough knowledge out there to indicate there is no reason to fear gay people. Therefore, those who choose to ignore such knowledge, live outside of reason and embrace that ignorance are just straight up bigots who hate anything other. 👬👭 No phobia required.

• George Lewis says:

Disapproval and/or disgust are neither fear or ignorance or hate. Bless you.

• David4 says:

It’s close-minded and stupid.
            Go bless someone who follows your pick and choose lies.

• George Lewis says:

David, that’s the libtard propagandist incorrect usage of “close-minded”. The real meaning is an inability or unwillingness to discuss an issue & consider contrary views. So perhaps you ought to look in the mirror? Robotic incorrect so-called political correctness is what’s “close-minded”. I’m a free thinking independent moderate with both conservative & liberal views. As I said in another comment, I respect others rights to enjoy whatever they like, however it should be on an appropiate cable channel. Not on ABC broadcast network over the air. Have some respect for real families too. Also be respectful in not calling me a liar. I’m extremely honest. Your incorrect personal attack just shows the weakness of your thoughts?

• Brooke says:

I never understand the blatant bigotry displayed on TVLine given that Ausiello himself is gay. Like, why would you voluntarily visit someone’s home and then say such horrible things about who they are?

• George Lewis says:

I do not know “Ausiello”s religion, & I hold no “bigotry” against any religion or practice thereof. No, I’m not on a “visit someone’s home”. I’m commenting in a discussion forum on an article. I’ve politely expressed a viewpoint (unlike some others). I’ve said nothing “horrible” though you choose in your view to see it as such. I believe in respect & tolerance for all including real families with normal traditional values. 98% of people need not be subject to intolerance on an over the air broadcast network.

• David4 says:

Exactly Brooke. I bring this up every time some homophobe comes here and complains when the site is run by an openly gay man! I don’t get.

• John k says:

So, because te man who runs the site is gay, all other points of view must be censored? That sound pretty closed minded of you Brook and David.

• Heather says:

George — Buddy, what did your boyfriend do to you!?! Or, perhaps it was just a momentary lapse into some crazy homosexual fantasy of yours? Oh……thanks for using the phrase: “I believe in respect and tolerance for all including real families with normal traditional values”. My wife and myself just might take offense to your insinuating that we, and our three incredible children, are not a “normal” family. We pay our taxes, pay our mortgage, belong to the PTA, sell Girlscout cookies, we are a faithful church family, coach swimming, our son is an Boy Scout, we spend half of our life at Disneyland because the kids love it, have huge family BBQ’s, host block parties, live in the suburbs, and are lifelong followers of our Christian faith. Yes, George, even gays and lesbians find comfort in knowing that Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior.

So, dude, open your eyes and live in the real world. Love conquers all….

• People are born gay, you chose every day to hate them for it, because you are horrible person. There is nothing wrong with being gay, and homosexuality is not something you have a right to disaprove of. Love is not disgusting, it is a beautiful and amazing thing. Your hate is disgusting, and I disapprove of it because bigotry and hatred are always wrong, and, if you had a single moral, you would know that.

• John k says:

Amy, you sound like you’re the one with hatred in your heart. It’s one thing to find another persons actions morally wrong and even be disgusted by them. It is something else entirely to hate them for it.

• George Lewis says:

“People are born” happy Amy? LOL I thought babies cry a lot. As to sexuality, we don’t know what preference people are born with & why does that matter? Even if they were born with a preference, they are also born with a God given blessing to make choices & control behaviors. I “hate” no one. You seem to “hate” me because you’re intolerant of my view point? No, it’s not your “right” to choose what I or others “disaprove of”. Sodomy is not “Love”.

• David4 says:

Sodomy is sex. Sex is not live. 40% of straight couples have tried ‘sodomy’. It’s 2016. Your 2000 year old views are as outrageous as ever. Do you garden? Watch football, wear clothes that aren’t 100% of cotton or cloth? All sins.

My favorite is men with long hair is an abomination upon themselves. Just like sodomy.

It’s a good thing Jesus didn’t have long hair. Oh wait…

• George Lewis says:

David, You don’t have cameras in the homes of normal couples. They re also not “straight” as their bodies have curves. Yes “It’s 2016” & that has nothing to do with your rants. Yes, I enjoy football. No, not all sins are equally disgusting. This article & discussion should be on what’s appropriate or not on over the air broadcast tv.

• Mary says:

George it is not your right to choose or disapprove of other people behavior. Ever heard of the expression tend to your own garden. Might try it yourself. Who are you to judge what is shown and where. The simple solution is turn off the station. You claim your tolerant and don’t hate anyone but your persistence to keep posting your belief proves anything but. Like Grams use to say, if you have nothing positive to say keep quiet.

• orangejuice says:

I’m not ashamed at all to be italian.

• H says:

I once saw on RAI1 a straight version of Brokeback Mountain. By that I mean that all gay scenes were cut off.

2. Italian viewer says:

It happens all the time in Italy… And not just with the gay sex scene.
    not to justify ANY censor at all BUT WHAT time does the episode aired?!
    We do have time in which certain “scenes” as of sex scenes or violent ones cannot be broadcast to the high chances of kids watching…
    Again.. It happens all the time, sometime even for futiles motives… Why the berlusconi joke in How I met your mother was cut?!
    We still censor a lot but a little bit of better planning should be enough to survive the cuts!!
    Not such a big deal to be reported on an international website!

• Francesca says:

Do you guys remember when Rome, the HBO show that was coproduced with RAI,was heavily edited in the italian showing? Absolutely appalling

3. David4 says:

I’d like to point out that a station in Utah refused to even air what I think was a short lived NBC sitcom. So it’s not like homophobic censorship is only in Italy.

• MARK says:

Why do people always feel the need to go “america is stupid too”. This is about Italy.

• David4 says:

Yes and it’s on an AMERICAN TV website. So some other country censored it. Like they are the only ones? How many countries is homosexuality a crime punishable by death? Do you think they are censoring this too?

• Lucifer says:

That was “The New Normal” and it was eventually carried in Utah, just not by NBC’s affiliate station there. They also refused to air “The Playboy Club” and MTV’s “Skins” due to “sexually explicit” material. I’d also like to add that LGBT groups bashed The New Normal and feminist groups bashed The Playboy Club so the shows didn’t just go up against ultra conservatives.

4. Kate says:

What’s so sad as that is the most stable relationship on the show.

Why is that sad?

• George Lewis says:

Because sodomy is not happy (it’s sad).

• Scream Queen says:

You just need more lube

• David4 says:

This is the best comment all week. But maybe he is sad at the sodomy because the guy was too small and couldn’t feel it.

• Brooke says:

This retort needs to be given its own article. Best thing I’ve seen all week!

• Mrs. Lovemyman says:

Hey George — I’m a straight woman. What makes you think that “sodomy” is a ‘gay thing’?? Every single straight guy I’ve ever been with would gladly go through the back door. My husband loves it. You guys who speak so negatively about those who explore their sexuality, and enjoy experimentng with the body that God gave them, are waaayyy too obsessed with what other people do behind closed doors. I say, enjoy! If everyone’s an adult, enjoy! George, you need a good f___. Lighten up, fool. I bet your sex life is exciting, and your wife is fully satisfied everytime you mount her, do your 4 minute routine, and call her Bob. LMFAO

5. George Lewis says:

I stopped watching this show permanently when it aired that disgusting in your face anal sodomy (which is not love). Kudos to the Italian editor’s good judgment to not show it. It should never have been over the air on ABC. There’s a cable channel for those who want such yuck.

• Angela says:

You sound mature.
      Setting aside how wrong you are about the concept of homosexuality…there’s this radical invention called a remote control. You can use it to change the channel if you see something that you don’t like! Meanwhile, the people who don;t have a problem with such scenes on TV can still watch them if they so please. Novel concept, no?
      (To say nothing of how illogical it is that apparently people having no problem airing or watching a show that involves characters committing multiple murders, but the moment two guys are having sex, suddenly they’ve got to be all “moral” and “modest” and censor things. Care to try explaining to me why violence and murder are just hunky dory for people to see, but same-sex relations aren’t?)

• Angela says:

*” apparently people have”, that should say.

• David4 says:

Maybe this is the best thing I read all week.

It amazes me Americans hate swears and gay sex but have no issues with their 7 year old play Call of Duty or throwing their hateful god in everyone’s face.

• George Lewis says:

David, normal Americans don’t hate happy sex, & we don’t hate homosexuals. We pray for them. My children don’t play COD.

• David4 says:

Take your prayers and shove them up your ass. Clearly you want something up there and just can’t admit it.

“Normal’ Americans being what? White and Christians who choose what to follow? Do you pray with your priest? He probably raped several children. But you know don’t judge that.

Idiot.

• George Lewis says:

David, you’re just being disgusting. I pray you get the help you need. God bless you.

• Mary says:

George his delivery might have been off but he speaks the truth. This isn’t the forum to preach YOUR beliefs go to church or do it at your home. You don’t need to pray for others but you should say a few prayers for yourself. Who are you to judge what is normal and sorry what is happy sex. Most straight and gays who have sex are very happy. Maybe you should explore a little and your wife might actually be real happy.

• George Lewis says:

Normal folks shouldn’t have to be caught off guard by disgusting filth on an over the air network. Nope, can’t explain the obvious to you.

• David4 says:

You are VERY far from normal. If you think you are then you might want to find mental attention right away,

• George Lewis says:

No thanks David. I’m quite normal, happy, productive, friendly, & I do no I do no harm to others. How about you?

• David4 says:

You are anything but ‘normal’, unless you consider being a bigot normal, than yes you are.

You clearly can’t be happy if you go around being full of such hatred and stupidly, and friendly? Really? Being a judgmental prick on a website run by a gay man, where I’m sure several other gay men and women work, that’s being friendly.

Clearly you hit your head, or need to change medications. I will pray for you tonight to get better. Allah bless you.

• George Lewis says:

It’s fine with me that any “website” is “run by a” happy or a homosexual “man” & that others might work there. Yes, unlike you, I’m friendly to all.

I don’t judge or shun sites based on the sex practices of who runs it. Learn tolerance David. I also see commenting frequently on Christian sites by homosexuals. Occasionally there are good discussions (though too often it’s vulgarity).

• Mary says:

There is always the Disney channel, then you wouldn’t have to be worry about be caught off guard.

• David4 says:

I’m not sure, the lead from Girl Meets World considers herself ‘queer’ if I remember currently (Or was it gender queer?) so he can’t watch that either. There is also those church channels or 7th Heaven… oh wait the priest are pedophiles and so is the fact one. Maybe he can watch a good old sitcom like The Cosby Show… oh wait….

Maybe he should just spend more time reading that Bible of ‘his’, clearly he doesn’t understand it enough yet.

What really gets me is the show is full of horrible people who get away with murder, but let’s have an issues with same sex love. They are the only couple on the series that love each other.

• Mary says:

You have to remember in his eyes that is normal so it is okay. George reminds me of one of those religious nuts who claims to love everyone and just trying to help others redeem from their sins , when in fact the skeletons in their own closet are way worst.

• Anna says:

The “in your face anal sodomy” (which was super hot, by the way) happened in the middle of the first episode. So you watched like twenty minutes of the show, yet you feel the need to proclaim to everyone that stopped watching *permanently* after not even watching a full episode? Hahaha, you’re hilarious.

• Come on george, you’re just bitter because you reek so much that no one wants to rim you. Truly sad. Maybe if you were a decent person for once you wouldn’t stink of homophobic garbage. Just a suggestion!

6. Pamela says:

countries have the right to what type of content is aired on broadcast tv, and other countries have different parental guidelines then the USA. however they should edit out all mature sex, not just gay mature sex, otherwise it’s just bigotry and nothing to do with the rating system.

• George Lewis says:

Having “the right” Pam doesn’t make it right. Homosexual sodomy is not a moral equivalent to natural love between a man & a woman. Plus most families don’t want to see it disgustingly thrown in their face. The special rights of the over representation in media is more than enough.

• Nell says:

George Lewis, You can’t change our minds and we can’t change yours so just shut the hell up.

• George Lewis says:

No need to be so impolite Nell. I respect your right to actually watch whatever you want, & there are specialty cable channels for every ‘taste’ (LOL I won’t give examples of what you might enjoy but that’s cool if you show the discretion of privacy). It just doesn’t belong on ABC which is an over the air broadcast channel. Have some decency. Enjoy whatever but respect real families too.

• David4 says:

Real and normal families?

I don’t think you would know what that is if it hit you in the head. Have you been hit in the head? That would explain a lot.

• George Lewis says:

Yes David, real & normal families. Yes David, I was a pugilist back in school but we wore proper head gear & I never took a punch to the head. My family, friends, & importantly clients can attest to my extremely healthy mental acuity. (Something that’s lacking in many of your comments here).

• C says:

I’m curious why a straight Christian male is watching a show called “how to get away with murder” or anything by shonda rhimes for that matter. You should know what to expect before you even start watching. You Christians are a funny bunch.

• George Lewis says:

Hello C. I’m not “straight”, I’m normal & my body has curves. Being Christian is being individual & overall I’m not a bible thumper or one to discuss faith in detail with non-believers other than suggesting that you invite Jesus into your heart & seek spiritual guidance from someone with expertise. There are also people of many faiths, & even agnostics & atheists who are disgusted by viewing male sodomy. As to TV viewing, I don’t research the producers, directors etc of every show. Though past performance is often an indicator of future performance, it’s also not absolute. You wrote “You Christians are a funny bunch”. Thank you, humor is healthy.

• grazelled says:

To C where you say “you Christians are a funny bunch” I can understand you say that after going through the comment section but George Lewis in no way shape or form represents the majority of Christians’ views. As a Christian I get frustrated when I come here to read about reactions to what happened in Italy only to find it hijacked by what looks like a troll and can only imagine how you must feel. If G. Lewis is sincere in his/her beliefs this is not the time or place to preach them but I personally believe that as Christians we were told to love others and that God would be the one to judge.

I turned off HTGWM early in the first season because of the violence and explicit sexual content regardless of it being straight or gay. It just wasn’t my show. I read this article today because my dad grew up in Italy so that’s why I was interested in the article today.

• Mary says:

So what you are saying you don’t mind watching a Man and Women doing the nasty, which hate to break it to you many do, but you don’t want to see the same sex. Can you say hypocrite.

7. Francesca Ottobre says:

I’m Italian and I was shocked by the fact that they cut that scene . There are no excuses , simple homophobia . They said it was for an excess of modesty that they cut the scene , are just lies. This evening will see again the episode in full, uncensored .

8. This is kind of normal in Italy. I come from a Latino and Italian family and they tend to be really close minded in this topic. Every time I visit my family in Italy I cringe because tv there looks so 80’s just white characters, the same host for every game show and if Latinos or gays or blacks appear then they are the comedy relief of the show, and believe me they do not appear that often.

My grandmother was more open minded and she would worry when I played with my cousin (who was a girl) because she felt that as a boy I had to play with other boys and I had a friend when I was 5 (who was a little more than a friend) and she walked in on us when we were kissing (on the cheek) and she almost took me to the doctor because she believed I had HIV. I love her though, she let me play with my cousin after all and I could keep and play with my mother’s old purses

9. John Edward says:

I wish they had an edited version in the United States allowing those who want to see the series, but not the same sex activity. Just as the LGBTQ has been granted the legal right to and are promoting their lifestyle in 99.5 of every media source available, we should have the option not to see it and yet be entertained with the overall media.