Blind Item

Blind Item: Which Drama Series May Have Already Been Cancelled?

Was Penny Dreadful‘s recent stealth cancellation the start of a new TV trend?

Rumors are swirling around the biz-ness that a higher-profile drama series perceived to be something of a hit and, like Showtime’s late monster mash-up, still relatively young in age, may be nearing the end of its run. In fact, unbeknownst to the public at large, the show’s current season may be its last.

Fueling the plug-pulling scuttlebutt is word that several of the show’s stars are currently fielding other long-term, series-regular gigs. And while, yes, the new Peak TV era has seen many performers juggle multiple jobs either simultaneously or concurrently (hello, Niecy Nash!), insiders tell TVLine that the size and scope of some of the roles being offered to this program’s cast suggest the end most certainly has to be nigh.

You know the drill: Perch that thinking cap atop your noggin’ and get speculatin’ in the comments!

1. Janice says:

Zoo?

2. Ann says:

Suits? I know it is not completely broadcasted during the summer but stil…

• Amanda says:

Wouldn’t consider this “young” as a series.

• Leo says:

I don’t want it to be Suits but it probably will be. Gina Torres and Patrick J. Adams were already cast in other shows. Plus, Suits is considered young if compared with Grandpa Supernatural or Granny Grey’s Anatomy…..

• Drew says:

I was thinking Mr. Robot, same summer airing but much younger and more high-profile

• Night Owl says:

Also quite possible.

• Bwhit says:

Probably not…. It’s USA’s critical darling plus they are getting an aftershow like ‘The Talking Dead’. I’m not sure they would be putting this much of an investment into it if they are going to cancel it after this season.

• Geo says:

Yeah, Mr. Robot even just got an Entertainment Weekly cover– to end it now would be ridiculously stupid, when it’s getting major press and building momentum. Unless there was complete behind-the-scenes chaos, USA would be insane to make the second season of Mr. Robot its last.

• Tracey Hunt says:

I’ll be some ticked off. That’s a great show.

• Night Owl says:

That is the first thing that has come to my mind too. I hope it’s not Suits, but quite possible.

3. aisling says:

the night shift ?

• Jessica says:

That’s not a high profile show, and it has been on the bubble for renewal the entire time it’s been on

4. My first thought was AoS but I doubt that (even though I do think this will be the show’s last season).

• Gary says:

Well AoS isn’t technically a drama series so it might be safe but you may never know, although I believe that should it be cancelled for whatever reason it might be picked up by Netflix since they do have a successful relationship with Marvel and Disney nowadays.

• Citizen of the Internet says:

AoS is a drama, but the ratings are far from what you’d call “something of a hit”

• Lottie says:

But the critical reviews are fairly positive. Penny Dreadful had not-so-great ratings too, you know, so I’m not sure that alone disqualifies AoS. However, I think this is talking about a summer show, for one, which SHIELD is not, and secondly I think ABC is going to wait and see how season 4 fares with critics and ratings before starting to decide if SHIELD is cancelled.

• rahajicho says:

I think ABC is waiting for it to have poor ratings, since it moved it to the Tuesdays at 10 deadzone, in order to justify its cancellation.

• Chris says:

I think and moved it there to justify its ratings, if it pulls the same ratings as last year at 10 on Tuesday it will be renewed

• Kristina says:

The Facebook post for this article says that it’s a Summer show, not sure if that’s a typo or not considering there’s no mention of that here. But either way, I think AoS is safe for now.

• Chris says:

I think it’s Once Upon A Time’s…time.

5. Chuck says:

I’m going to guess The Last Ship.

6. Josh says:

Mistresses

7. Gregory Eckes says:

Neigh is the clue. The actual saying is that the end is Nigh

8. cuius says:

Unreal – despite the PR “renewed for season 3”

9. analog says:

Maybe Suits. Patrick J Adams can go be a series regular on Legends of Tomorrow.

• Night Owl says:

That’s part of what makes me think Suits. Also, when it ended with Mike going to jail, I was really surprised it was coming back. It seemed like the most appropriate series finale.

10. Eli Edwards says:

I’m guessing either The Last Ship or Ray Donovan. Wouldn’t be happy with either.

11. david7118 says:

I’m going with Tyrant.

• Geo says:

I don’t think Tyrant has really been “perceived to be something of a hit” though. It’s numbers have been seriously below expectations, and I think people have been a little surprised it’s been renewed as long as it has.

12. Cody says:

Ray Donovan? It’s really the only drama currently on and this screams Showitme. I think (P)eak is a Showtime hint as well.

13. Alichat says:

My first thought was Empire.

14. Jennifer Rothstein says:

How about Unreal?

15. Steve says:

It’s probably Pretty Little Liars.
    It’s been said that this might be the last season and they haven’t renewed it yet, which is odd.

• ggny says:

It says it is a young series. PLL has been on TV for like 10 years now

• Lois says:

Doesn’t fit the bill at all. Not at all new, and it’s definitely not odd it hasn’t been renewed. They’ve been saying for over 2 years this would be the last season. A lot of the cast are pretty much quietly excited about being able to move on to other projects.

• PLL isn’t “realitivey new”& Marlene sand Shay have both said a s8& a movie are possible and Shay said she’d do a s8& Marlene said she’d let fans tell her when to end it,

16. natalia h says:

How to get away with murder.

17. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, first show that popped into my head is Ray Donovan. Hate to see it go but how much more does it have in the tank ??? Also Masters of Sex.

18. Clara says:

Roadies

19. Bree says:

Ray Donovan? Hope not!

20. landale says:

I would guess The Last Ship or Devious Maids

21. Amanda says:

Devious Maids…..Zolia is on Jane the Virgin, her daughter on the show left for a Telemundo, Peri is on another show, and I’m sure the rest are going to start showing up in other shows. Plus it had ran it’s course

22. Gregory Eckes says:

Ray Donovan makes sense too because they had horse racing involved in the recent finale

23. Laci says:

Based on “the end is neigh” and “Peak TV era,” I’m going with Peaky Blinders.

24. Andrew says:

Is it broadcast or cable? Could you be anymore vague?

I’m going with Better Call Saul

• MMD says:

It better not be. That is one of the few good shows around.

• Guest says:

For the love of all things please don’t be true.
      I’m hoping that the wording in the blind item indicates that the “current season” is still airing.

25. Annie says:

Scandal?

26. Derek says:

Their Facebook post linking to article says “Summer series.” Is “Masters of Sex” a summer show? That’d be my guess.

27. j says:

I’ve always thought that House of Cards will end suddenly. Or maybe Better Call Saul?

28. Artemisgaia says:

Scandal? The ratings crashed and burned the second half of the season. Shonda Rhimes has screwed up the show beyond repair maybe?

29. kmw says:

This is a good one ” higher profile” and ” perceived to be a hit”. The last quote would rule out Empire because it is not perceived to be a hit it is, however higher profile might mean not on cable at all. Scandal might be considered too old for this but I think its possible. Also while I don’t think Gotham is a hit it still is young enough( and not owned by FOX to get syndication benefit from it) to be a possibility. I don’t know enough cable shows to guess more than maybe Suits or Outlander or Better Call Saul. Or possibly one of the newer CW shows( or one that just moved there, Supergirl). Very interested to see who this is.

30. Chris says:

Devious Maids?

31. johnhelvete says:

end is nigh- nigh in this case is near.
    neigh- a high pitch sound uttered by a horse.
    Two similar sounding words with very different meanings. Would be a pretty big cheat to use nigh for neigh in the above clue.

32. Jason says:

My guess is suits. Given that Patrick j Adams and Gina Torres both pursuing new gigs.

• sarah t says:

Suits isn’t really a “young” show though, it’s been on for several seasons.

• Gabriel says:

I would hardly call the 5 seasons of Suits, “several seasons”. Compared to other shows of the category, Suits is relatively new.

• Lisa says:

No. Stop. 5 seasons is not at all close to “relatively new”. Not in this universe, not in any universe.

It actually makes me mad that you think that, because it so wrong.

And I haven even seen an episode of Suits, so I’m not a crazy fan in denial. I just know enough about television to know that 5 season is “several seasons”. And you should know it too.

• mary says:

Both of them have been in other series while in Suits, so nothing new.

• Jason says:

Patrick J Adams has only done a few guest spots here and there since Suits started. Now he is in line for a regular series role on Legends of Tomorrow which films on the opposite coast of Suits.Gina Torres auditioned for a pilot whose characters name is in the title. Oh, and this is USA that rarely has any series go over 100 episodes. I also can’t think of another series that has a star up for a regular series gig.

33. percysowner says:

Finally, a BI where Supernatural is not even a possibility! Because there is no way anyone can call it a young series. Relatively young makes me think it’s in more than season 2, so most CW shows are off the table.

I’m going to go with Blacklist, just for grins and giggles.

34. "A" says:

The Originals
    The Vampire Diaries
    Salem
    The Last Ship
    The Walking Dead

• wrstlgirl says:

LMFAO, care to pick one??

• Mafalda says:

SUMMER SERIES. srlsy guys…

• kmw says:

The post no longer says summer series but if that really is true than Mr. Robot is a good candidate but I hope not

• Slh says:

Some of these are not summer shows. I’d like to see a few of those go. Lol. I would LOVE for it to be Animal Kingdom, but that probably won’t be it. Even though that show sucks

• Bwhit says:

A good portion of those would not be shocking if cancelled. Plus several are considered veteran shows with many seasons under their belt and this sounds like it’s a young series.

• percysowner says:

With Netflix deal firmly in place, I think The 100 will go until it has 70-80 episodes which means longer than the upcoming season. The Originals and Reign would be possibilities, except I’m not sure they make the standard of either high profile or something of a hit. I’m guessing whatever show is being talked about isn’t on the CW. It may be a streaming (Hulu, Netflix or Amazon) original because most of those series are pretty high profile and something of a hit is a lot more subjective since they don’t release ratings.

If this article mentioned the series being a summer show, that statement has been taken off. If we are thinking summer show based on “the show’s current season” statement then maybe that’s limiting it?

• Netfkx x cares about number of seasons not number of episodes and t100 will get a payday by Netflux for reaching s4& with its Decling ratings,bad press and the facts it has little syndication value and isn’t /won’t be near 88 and plenty of CW end in s4 when getting 0.4s and lower before then.

• percysowner says:

I’m reasonably certain that Netflix has some kind of minimum episode count for a season, or some other minimum count to pay for shows. Otherwise the CW would put out 5 episode “seasons” and then cash in. The rumor was that shows that had under X episodes are paid one rate while over that number they get a higher per episode payout. Whatever X is, I’m relatively certain that The 100 will reach that plateau.

• Netfix has a six ep mimuum to call it a season.The deal is shows that reach s4 ,s8,s12 get a premium paid and t100 will reach s4 next season.The shows that ened at 70 ish eps were full season shows to startt100s not and as I said it has no syndication value ,not that the majority of CW shows were syndicated or successful in syndication anyway.Deadline said in 2011 said” payments escalate for long running shows”.Like I said,Netflix cares about number of seasons and having proper endings not reaching 70 eps.

• MMD says:

Not necessarily especially with Netflix British shows. eg. Doctor Foster had 5 episodes and some have had 4.

• s-k-s says:

Orange is the New Black?

35. Alan B. Johnson says:

How To Get Away With Murder.

36. David says:

bloodlines :(

37. Brian says:

Scandal? Ratings are down and the show obviously isn’t what it is anymore. I hope it’s not Ray Donovan because unlike with Scandal, the show gets better and better as the seasons go on. 2 shows into the new season and the show is still great, so it would suck seeing this show gone.

38. "A" says:

American Horror Story
    Pretty Little Liars

39. Larc says:

If this is still in the rumor stage, I can’t understand why it should be a Blind Item. I thought that designation was reserved for solid inside facts confidentially leaked to somebody at TV Line, not for guesswork even if it comes from sources in the industry.

40. Bwhit says:

I don’t want to put this out in the universe but Kingdom…. It’s popular enough for people with DirectTV and I think it’s critically well received plus the cast is full of talent who could easily find work. My other guess is Ray Donavon.

41. "A" says:

Why did they take out the words “summer series” from the original post ?
    ( a mistake … or … to big of a clue )

42. "A" says:

Fear The Walking Dead

43. SG says:

It’s roadies.

44. "A" says:

It has to be “The Last Ship” with the “Fueling” and “Scuttlebutt” ‘clues’ given in the post.
    ( goggle scuttlebutt )

“Fueling the plug-pulling scuttlebutt is word that several of the show’s stars are currently fielding other long-term, series-regular gigs.”

45. TIOLI says:

Zoo (first episode this season and I am done)
    Wayward Pines (A few episodes in to season two and I am over it)

These would be my guess. Both young, but maybe not so much with the high profile.

46. Well, if it’s a summer series, it could be Zoo, but the only names in that show are wolk and burke. The others are non entity (i like them fine, they’re just not names that attract), above two seasons, is it considered relatively new ? Roadies is a dud, Braindead is also a dud (unfortunately cause it’s getting better), dead of summer is a dud. After, if we consider shows with 3 seaons still relatively new that leaves a lot of choices, whether it’s now or fall. the only one which i’d love to see cancelled is american gothic, what a bland and awful show, such wasted talent on it, though, they must eat like anyone else.

47. Goldenvibefan says:

Arrow. You’ve seen it here first.

48. skrable2 says:

I miss the old days when folks would guess “Castle” as the answer to every Blind Item