Fall TV Preview
Arrow Season 5 Cody Rhodes

Arrow to Host 'Rematch' With WWE Alum Cody Rhodes FKA Stardust

Having first stepped into Cody Rhodes‘ professional playground some 11 months ago, Arrow‘s Stephen Amell announced that the former WWE grappler will have a chance to return the favor, with a guest spot on the CW series.

During a joint “Wrestling Rivals” appearance at the Heroes & Villains FanFest held Saturday at the Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, N.J., Amell told the crowd that Rhodes (born Cody Runnels, and who parted ways with the WWE in May) will guest-star in the third episode of Season 5.

Details on the role were not immediately revealed, but Rhodes teased during the HVFF panel, “You can probably expect Stephen and I to get into another fight.”

The Amell/Rhodes “rivalry” escalated last August when the Arrow star, as a Monday Night RAW spectator, was goaded into an “illegal” skirmish with Stardust (watch video). Amell and Rhodes formally faced off weeks later in a SummerSlam tag team match, partnered with Neville and King Barrett, respectively — with the “good guys” emerging victorious. (For his impressive effort in the ring, Amell earned a TVLine Performer of the Week honorable mention.)

Arrow Season 5 will feature a variety of fresh faces, including Popular alum Carly Pope (as a Coast City reporter), Chicago P.D.’s Josh Segarra (in the series-regular role of D.A. Adrian Chase aka Vigilante), Reaper‘s Rick Gonzalez as the DC Comics character Wild Dog, The Walking Dead‘s Chad L. Coleman as villain Tobias Church and The McCarthysTyler Ritter as SCPD Detective Malone.

Arrow returns Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 8.7c, now leading into the new drama Frequency.

1. Lizzie says:

Sportsmaster! Sportsmaster! He looks perfect and come on he has to be a villain.

2. Liz says:

I think we all saw this coming. Thank god he’s only guest starring. He’s not good at acting at all.

3. lesigh says:

This was totally Amell’s idea I’m sure. They really need to stop letting him make decisions because they never end well.

4. Kevin K says:

No one was shocked nor surprised that Cody Rhodes got dumped by WWE back in May.

• AJ says:

He didn’t get dumped. He asked for his release. He was tired of being Stardust and creative wouldn’t listen. So he asked out of his contract.

5. Love WWE and Arrow (Even though the last 2 seasons sucked), so I can’t wait for this

6. Joey Padron says:

Hope he plays a villian on the show. Can’t wait to see their fight on the show!

7. Shaun says:

Better take Ballet for all that dancing the ”fighters” do.

8. peterwdawson says:

I’m guessing he’s getting a more zany villain role. I loved all the quirks he gave the Stardust character, even if he apparently grew to hate the role. Only problem is the zanier characters (the first Count and Damien come to mind) tend to be more annoying than fun.

9. warren kostuch says:

I think he would be a great as the creeper

10. The Kaibosh says:

**sigh** Professional wrestling is a culture that panders to the lowest common denominator. To the ignorant. The uneducated. To those that are sexist, violent and homophobic. As a form of entertainment it is base and unworthy. What does this say about the lead actor of a certain popular TV show that in his free time chooses to associate himself this sort of nonsense? How very unfortunate.

• Wooster182 says:

Have you actually watched wrestling in the last 10 years? Wrestling fans span many cultures and educational backgrounds. The wrestlers range anywhere from multigenerationals, to Olympians, to PhDs.

I have an MBA, work in a #1 global company and I’m a wrestling fan. Oh, and I’m female.

And when Daniel Bryan won the title at Wrestlemania 30, we all chanted, “You deserve it!” Not because we are the lowest common denominator but because we believe in a world where the impossible may be possible and that by supporting our heroes, we can help those dreams become reality.

So judge me if you will. We’re used to it. It’s still real to us, dammit.

• Delirious says:

Seconded. I’m sick of the whole “oh, so you actually watch wrestling?” crap already. In any of its ridiculous or closeminded variations.

• The Kaibosh says:

To say “I have an MBA” and then say about professional wrestling “it’s still real to us” is oxymoron.

• Wooster182 says:

No, it’s a reference that a true wrestling fan knows and uses. We know it’s scripted. But when someone tells us their favorite show is CSI, we don’t snicker at them and say, “You know it’s fake, right?”

But thanks for implying I’m uneducated and stupid because you’re only invalidating your own statement and validating mine.

• Caliber says:

I have an MFA and I’ve been a fan of pro-wrestling since I was a kid. You are wrong, sir. And I don’t know when the last time you watched wrestling was, but it hasn’t been sexist or homophobic in over a decade, which is when most shows on television were also spewing those types of things.

11. Wooster182 says:

I’ve been waiting for this announcement since Cody left WWE. So excited.