Agents of SHIELD Season 4 Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Once Upon a Time, Legends, POI, Rizzoli & Isles and More

Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L D. ready to “do the robot”? Which Once Upon a Time couple is off on an adventure? What mystery did Person of Interest leave behind? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

What is going to take up more A-plot on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this season — tracking down Daisy, or the LMDs? —Maura
This much I can tell you: LMDs are happening. Specifically, the ABC series at this time is looking to cast the recurring role of Aida, a “very attractive” robot (because after all, why make a homely one?) who moves about quite naturally but speaks a bit formally, like Iron Man’s Jarvis. Also to be introduced in Season 4: a pair of Latino brothers, one of whom is always the most dangerous person in the room, the other paralyzed in a wheelchair.

You wouldn’t happen Person of Interestto be withholding any Person of Interest scoop from us, would you? —Ashley
Silly Ashley, the series has ended!

(Psst, as a matter of fact…. I found this a bit curious: When I interviewed Michael Emerson to preview the series finale — which I had already seen — he asked for my take on, “Who’s that dark-haired guy that gets on the motorcycle, in the closing montage?” And yet no such scene made it into the finale. When I asked the producers about this “mystery motorcyclist,” they had a good chuckle about Emerson not sticking to “talking points”… and then clammed up. Make of that what you will.)

So much Supernatural news this week. Dare we ask for more? — Dee
Dare away! During Vlada Gelman’s recent chat with the “brothers,” Jensen Ackles said he plans to break his recent streak of directing an early-season episode, explaining, “I just decided to take the first part of the season easy. Twenty-three episodes [per season] is a long, long shoot, and I usually would direct the first episode that we would film… so it’s basically like sprinting the first several miles of a marathon, which doesn’t really work if you’re a good runner. You want to pace yourself, so I’m going to pace myself this year.”

Any scoop on Patrick J. Adams’ return to Legends of Tomorrow as Hourman? —Jim
Not really, and not for a lack of asking Adams himself. “I have no idea what’s coming up. I haven’t seen anything,” the Suits star told me at the USA series’ recent premiere party. “I just know that I’m there to introduce the concept of the Justice Society of America and bring that into the show.” Adams then geeked out more than a little over his multi-episode turn as a superhero. “It’s so cool [to wear the costume]. It’s the dream,” he shared. “I only got a little taste of it [in the finale], so like an addict I was like, ‘I want to do more!'”

Any info on the final season of Rizzoli & Isles? Specifically, will Tommy and TJ make an appearance? —Katie
Good news, Katie — I can confirm that both Tommy and TJ will be seen again before the TNT drama fades to black.

Do you know the exact dates of the series finales of both Rizzoli & Isles and Royal Pains? I love these shows and really don’t want to miss finale episodes. —Joanne
Pay attention, because USA Network’s Royal Pains wraps its eight-season run this Wednesday, July 6. TNT’s RizzIsles, meanwhile, is currently penciled in for a Sept. 5 series finale.

Could you pleaseStrain Season 3 Spoilers tell me when the next season of The Strain is coming on? —Cathy
In addition to reminding you that the FX horror series is back on Sunday, Aug. 28, I can offer this teaser from Max Charles, who plays Zack: “At the beginning of Season 3, New York has fallen and the government has given up,” the child actor told us at the Saturn Awards. “That leaves the people of New York to fight to save themselves.” (Which pretty much sums up any summertime ride on the subway, really.)

Do you have any scoop on what’s going to happen to Once Upon a Time‘s Belle and Rumple? Will they be going on an adventure for the first time together? —Rebecca
They will be going on an adventure together… or as “together” as they can be with Belle still stashed inside a decorative container. “Belle is with Rumple — she’s in Pandora’s Box, in the sleeping curse,” says Once co-creator Eddy Kitsis. And as the Season 6 premiere will make clear, Rumple did get said box back, as part of his deal with Mr. Hyde. As for where the “information” Hyde delivered in return, to rouse Belle from her slumber, will lead the couple, “That will be the mystery that we show you,” Kitsis says. Adds co-creator Adam Horowitz: “What we really focus on at the start is: ‘How the heck does he get her out of the box and wake her?'”

Any updates on Major Crimes? — Jonni
During my Season 5 preview with James Duff, he warned of a “dark episode” on the horizon that involves “a massive courtroom shooting that we deal with,” adding: “It’s a very scary scene.”

Quick question about my favorite summer/Canadian show, Motive: Will there be another season on USA Network? —Kaiulani
This “scoop” got trickled out in last Sunday’s What to Watch column, but yes, USA Network will be airing the Canadian drama’s fourth (and final) season starting this Sunday at 10/9c.

Any scoop on Pitch? —Ethan
My First Impression on the new Fox drama is “on deck” (so to speak), but for now I will say this: It’s a very different pilot when watching it a second time. Also, a true story first shared on the Twitter: I did not recognize Mark-Paul Gosselaar on first viewing, he disappears into his role/neckbeard that good.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. daveedtjr says:

NO COURTROOM SHOOTINGS (a’la GOOD WIFE)!

2. Jamie Paton says:

Re: The Agents of Shield LMD casting, Summer Glau comes to mind. She’s got the Whedonverse tie-in and played a pretty convincing ‘robot’ on TSCC.

3. delta says:

Root lives!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nah, Emerson’s exact question to me was: “Who’s that dark-haired guy that gets on the motorcycle, in the closing montage?” (I have edited the above item for clarity.)

• Wesley says:

We all know both Root and Reese are still alive, right? Nothing will convince me otherwise. :)

4. Shouldn’t the question be how does Rumple wake her up, and not get her out of the box though? He put her in there to make her more portable and so that the actress could go on maternity leave. Why would it be an issue getting her out of the box?

Anyway, I really do hope that they go adventuring together, with Belle out of the box and awake, and as herself and not a dream version or impersonator.

5. Boiler says:

The question on R&I SHOULD be, has TNT come to their senses and changed their mind on what is easily their most popular show. My guess is if they haven’t viewers will leave TNT in droves, especially after Major Crimes likely follows it after the extension completed.

• Ratings are already going south. I have no idea what they at TNT are thinking. R&I is certainly much better than Animal Kingdom, what a mess. Nutty family.

• nblackburn01 says:

There is no way they will remove Major Crimes. Note the ratings last week. They were the number one show beating R&I by almost 50% in total viewers. They have actually been trending up since the time change. No way TNT would even let Reilly contemplate doing it. You are putting rumors out there that are simply not true.

• johnhelvete says:

I would agree that it is very unlikely that this is going to be the final season for Major Crimes, I would not go so far to say “no way” that it will happen though. The extra 8 episodes will give the show 92 episodes which would be enough for syndication and would give the writers time to end the series if TNT were to tell them that the show was being cancelled. TNT will not want to cancel both of their long running series in the same year however, and keeping the five season Major Crimes, which as far as we know has the actors signed for at least one (if not two more seasons) makes sense. I dont understand the posts about Rizzoli, the show has run for 7 seasons and I would be hard pressed to name that many cable series that have gone more than 8 seasons.

• Boiler says:

#1 how can you complain about posts which rip TNT for cancelling their top rated show. I don’t care how long it has been on. As for Major Crimes why didn’t they just renew it instead of extending for a few episodes.

• johnhelvete says:

I clearly suggested to the other poster that it was not a slam dunk that Major Crimes would be renewed. There is a clear path for cancellation, the 8 additional episodes gives the show enough for syndication and the writers a chance to end the shows. I am not sure that I would call 8 additional episodes to a 13 episode season “a few episodes” and I will be more than happy to come on here and post that I was wrong if Major Crimes gets cancelled instead of renewed for season 6. My guess is you are not willing to do the same if the series is renewed.

• Boiler says:

Actually I hope it is renewed. Never said I wanted it cancelled. Maybe it would show that someone at TNT actually has a brain cell left

• Boiler says:

Nah that number was wrong at least at TVbyNumbers. Don’t know where they got what they had but R&I has been consistently over 4 million this year.The one I saw had R&I up about 300,000K over Major Crimes. If he is getting rid of R&I. I wouldn’t put anything past Reilly. Why wasn’t Major Crimes just renewed instead of extending a few eps?

• Boiler says:

Daily Ratings Table – Mon Jun 27 2016

#

Show

Network

Title

Demo

Total

S04E04 Mistresses ABC Blurred Lines 0.7 2.80
        S07E05 Rizzoli and Isles TNT Shadow of Doubt 0.6 4.36
        S05E03 Major Crimes TNT Foreign Affairs 0.5 3.99

• ComeOn says:

Major Crimes just got another season extension order. It’s the only show that TBT can relies on. Every year they think they will have a hit new show and then they give Major Crimes back order. How does TNT going to fill that gap if they are already having trouble fill their time slots?

R&I already has a budget cut last year on top of the creator’s departure and the stars contract are probably near their end, Money is the reason the show is ending.

6. Anna says:

Thanks for asking about Belle and Rumple! We really appreciated! :)

7. Sarah says:

I’m confused. Isn’t waking Belle from the sleeping curse the issue, not getting her out of the box? Have they forgotten their own story? I really hope Rumple and Belle finally get a storyline where they are actually together and developing as a couple. Their story has been nothing but an endless series of contrived separations that has lost the show countless fans who could no longer take the constant disappointment. Please don’t let that be the case again this season!

• Danielle says:

Matt edited Adam’s comment to include waking Belle. I still don’t expect a real story for them. She’ll probably be in the box for several episodes and then be awakened by another magical item we’ve never heard of before. Then Belle will be extremely angry at Rumple for whatever reason and they’ll be separated for the rest of the season.

• Leona says:

If Matt don’t give to you the points, I do, because i bet all my cookies to your theory. At this point if you like Rumbelle just avoid the show…really. Evil giggle – #HowWeDaretoSayTruths

8. Alora says:

Did some research and I think the two Latino brothers appearing in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are Gabe and Robbie Reyes! Especially after seeing that Ghost Rider train for SDCC!

9. Leanne says:

loved Person of interest, hated the finale. They could have done better like CBS did for NCIS

10. clintbrew says:

i looking forward to seeing Hourman on legends of tommorow and will it come with a PSA about drug addiction

11. A Cattanach says:

Still no Once Upon a Time news on Charming? I am starting to suspect that he is not playing any kind of role in season 6. I am glad to have news about Belle and Rumple. I hope he gets her out of the box quickly.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Haven’t gotten an email asking about the Charmings since Feb. 24. #RealQuestionsRealAnswers

• A Cattanach says:

Thanks Matt for always being up front. You will be getting one now. I hope the last one you got was not about Charming’s wedding ring.

12. Lala says:

Thanks Matt for the scoop on Pitch.

13. Leona says:

I was Just…haha. Well i don’t have hopes for Rumbelle in this show anymore but its good to heard about them. Just I hopes that whatever adventure they have don’t awake more waves of viikence against tgem

• Leona says:

Ups. Sorry for the unreadable comment. Again…Last season confirmed for me that the rumbelle I want and hope will never be in the show. So I don’t expect return. But since I’m still rumbelle blood; I just hope that whatever the writers/creators do with rumbelle this season, be on positive for their fans, since, what they have done recently, just awoke violence against the fans of them. #howwedaretodontconfuserealitywithfiction (hope more clear.Thats why one must not check things at work)

14. Great tidbit from POI – they should have left it in – the fans would have gone crazy and it makes sense that John would leave Harold alone and not let him know he was alive so that Harold could cleanly move forward.

15. johnhelvete says:

Pitch- I watched the trailer multiple times and was in the process of making a DVD for my sister and her husband of trailers for new fall shows, went to look up to who plays the catcher and was blown away that it was Gosselaar.

16. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Glad to see that Tommy and TJ will be back on Rizzoli and Isles. Any chance we will ever get an explanation about what happened to Lt. Cavanaugh?

17. Wesley says:

A serious theory regarding the POI info. I think the the CBS crickets weren’t as quiet as Nolan was letting on regarding whether or not they would be okay with their male lead being killed off. Since they didn’t know until late if it was going to be cancelled or continue on in a different form, I assume either they, or the network forced them, to shoot a scene where Reese lives. That way they had an out to bring him back if it got renewed or picked up by another network. If it got picked up, that scene is in the finale and Reese lives. If it the cancellation became finite, that shot gets edited out and Reese is dead. It also makes Nolan’s statement about gender politics not being in play when killing characters off ring a little false here, since every female main on this show got gunned down and either died or was presumed dead. We also know that CBS doesn’t want to get “too female” on their network, so I assume that was in play here as well.

This theory seems very reasonable to me and entirely plausible. Some of it anyway. The gender politics regarding Nolan and company may be a little unfair, but it does seem odd anyway.

All that said, POI is one of my all time favorite shows. I loved all the characters and the entire mythology. And I think it deserves to be said, and Nolan and co. deserve some serious props for this, the way that all the female characters were written, from the mains, to the recurring ones, to the one-shots, were masterfully done. So I can’t criticize too much, but it is worth making the observation nonetheless.

18. mark says:

So with AOS there is no hope then of seeing Adrianne Palicki back at all in the show damn

19. mebairio says:

More Monsters with superpowers in Agents of SHIELD? Meh. I hoped for less of them. :(
    Seems as if everything will revolve around Inhumans. Again. (:
    I hoped for heroes without superpowers as main characters and a show revolving around the Agents of SHIELD.

Wait and see whether season 4 is worth my time or not. If it’s an Inhumans-show like season 3, it’s definitely not.

• Christy Snell says:

I’m with you. However, they tried that at first and almost got cancelled. So the writers and showrunners are giving the people what they want: superheroes.

20. Jake says:

Re POI, it’s funny that a few people posted after the finale that we never saw John’s body, so he could have survived (maybe the Machine had him wear body armor in the last stand scene). I’m guessing that was him on the motorcycle.

21. Bree says:

So in other words, Belle and Rumple will still be separated as usual. There’s no relationship development when one party is in a box or under a sleeping spell or in a coma or has amnesia or is imprisoned or is a cursed personality (Lacey) or is in a cage or is being heart-controlled or is in another land or is a shadow rather than the real person and on and on and on. Adam and Eddy are incapable of writing a real Rumbelle story.

22. gm says:

Thanks for asking about Belle and Rumple I wish that Kitsowitz had something new to say about them.

23. shelly says:

will Snow and Charming from Once play any sort of role during Season 6?

24. Kyle says:

DON’T PUT GHOST RIDER ON AGENTS OF SHIELD. – Don’t be stupid Marvel. Put it on Netflix.