Exclusive
Once Upon a Time Sinbad Casting

Once Upon a Time Casting Sinbad, Scheherezade for Season 6

TVLine has sneaked a peek inside Once Upon a Time‘s book of Untold Stories and recognizes at least two familiar names due to make their debut during Season 6.

As revealed in last month’s finale, Mr. Hyde (played by Sam Witwer) — as part of his backroom deal with Rumplestiltskin — has transported to Storybrooke a throng of denizens from the Land of Untold Stories.

Among the new arrivals will be Sinbad, and to that end the ABC drama is seeking a 30something Middle Eastern/Arabic or Northern African male to play a roguishly charming and quick-witted hero who knows the power of kindness but as of late has lost faith in his ability to lead his people. Paging Covert Affairs/Nurse Jackie alum Haaz Sleiman…?

Also being cast to debut in early Season 6 is Scheherazade, the famous spinner of the tale of One Thousand and One Nights. Here, the character is envisioned as a regal Middle Eastern/Arabic beauty who never backs down from a good fight and can go toe-to-toe with even the toughest adversaries. This is Alphas spitfire Azita Ghanizada’s role to lose, amiright?

What do you think of these first two reveals from the “lost” storybook?

1. It’s fine … But if Robin stays dead, I just cannot get excited about this …

2. dave2442 says:

Too bad they already cast Elliot Knight as Merlin previously, as he played the title role of Sky’s Sinbad series

3. Amanda says:

Looking forward to seeing who’s casted and I like how they’re moving away from Disney and using other stories.

4. Aileen says:

Is Sarah Shahi available?

5. Chris says:

I first thought “Oh, they’re casting Sinbad. I wonder who he’ll play…oh wait never mind”.

6. Nate says:

I’m still waiting on Jasmine and Aladdin

• ? says:

It seems the OUAT team hates those two – people have been talking since season one and they’re the last iconic Disney characters not to appear (unless we include Dumbo/Black Cauldron characters or something).

• rworomeo says:

Who knows, Sinbad and Scheherazade might only be casting call names.

• Lily says:

Cyrus on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was basically their Aladdin and there were also genies. It’s not that they can’t throw in an actual Aladdin but I think the writers might already consider the tale “used.” I would definitely welcome Jafar onto OUAT though. Last time we saw him, he was the genie.

7. Mel Kfy says:

Hmm.. I’m always for more POC on a show but this one has a way to mistreat them greatly… I can only hope they are going to change that with them, while also not forgetting the main chars. If all these mini arcs only leads to not be able to develop correctly the main story, that won’t be good. I hope they won’t screw up. (anything is better than the forced A/B arcs I suppose)

8. Kelly says:

It’s Disney’s Aladdin.

And just what this show needs, more male characters. The women leads haven’t been subverted nearly enough. By next season, if they make it, Emma, Snow and Regina will only be in 3 episodes as the male leads stay at home wives.

• Captain Cold says:

Says about the show where every protagonist but Hook is a woman. The real problem is that all women are strong and powerful (except Guin I guess), while men are either bland boyfriends or idiot villains.

• Lily says:

Lol, I would say that for the exception of Rumple, the male half of each couple has been portrayed as the “damsels in distress” and as the weaker half. And the women do get more screen time.

9. Summer says:

Sahar Biniaz would be great for Scheherezade

10. Captain Cold says:

Are they guests only? Because I hope they recur, but I doubt it considering the quantity of characters that are gonna show up.

11. Luis says:

You think they could bring Elliott Knight back to play Sinbad without anyone noticing he played Merlin last season/

• Lily says:

That would be impossible, considering everyone loved Merlin.

• Emma says:

I would give my right hand for Merlin to return.
        I was really hoping we’d see him in the Underworld, but no such luck. :( I loved the Camelot arc, but good God was that an unsatisfying conclusion to it.

12. buttercupscarlett95 says:

I’m glad to hear new characters are being cast. I was afraid the new season would focus way too much on Regina fighting her dark side for the umpteenth time (yawn). The untold stories sound much more interesting. Bring it on!

13. Jennifer says:

What about Navi Rawat? She payed Amita in Numb3rs? She’d be good here.

14. Jennifer says:

Or even Aarti Mann (Priya on TBBT)

15. EA says:

I really hope this means Jafar (and Will and Ana!)

16. Verity says:

Can’t wait!!!

17. Lily says:

Well, it looks like Aladdin and Jasmine may finale appear on OUaT.

18. Val1 says:

Sounds good for season 6.
    I hope Hook and Sinbad know each other.

Odd choice of pic, considering what the article is talking about lol

19. Marge says:

Not sure how all this will work in with Jekell (sp) & Hyde but eager to see and find out. From a true “Oncer”

20. Andrew says:

Mark Ghanimé for the “roguishly charming and quick-witted hero” role :-)

21. Julian says:

I think Sinbad and Scheherazade are just casting call names for Aladdin and Jasmine ;)

They rarely reveal the real character’s name during the casting call (except for Frozen). Merida was “Rumple’s mother” during the casting call lol.

22. katelynn tamayo says:

i want robin back him and regina where a great coble and hook died then can back to life why cant robin :(

23. deszionnasir says:

Hmm, don’t give up on Aladdin and jasmine just yet. You know out likes to mix characters….I.e. rumple was also the crocodile…. I’ve got my eye on these two…

24. Vazquez says:

I want to be a cast

25. Ben Seibert says:

Watched the show, every episode at least twice, I become so engrossed in it. I enjoy the twist of classic tales and as an adult the wondrous feeling that is achieved by letting a child-like imagination run wild. This is a fantastic well written and well acted television show!