Mr. Robot Season 2 After Show

Mr. Robot Gets Expanded Season 2, Bigger Premiere With Live After Show

Mr. Robot is receiving several upgrades ahead of its Season 2 premiere.

For starters, the Golden Globe-winning drama’s sophomore season has been expanded from 10 to 12 episodes, USA Network announced on Thursday. Along those lines, Season 2 will now open with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, July 13 at 10/9c, presented with limited commercial breaks.

Following the supersized premiere at about 11:30 pm, USA Network will debut Hacking Robot, a live, hourlong after show that promises a “behind the scenes look at the breakout drama.” (I know, I know — I would have gone with Do the Robot as well.)

As previously announced episodes of Mr. Robot Season 2 will be directed by series creator Sam Esmail.

Want scoop on Mr. Robot, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Big Mike says:

After shows are a trend that needs to die.

• lechatnoir says:

Most of them are horrendous. I think after the thrones put me off for good . Anyhow I am totes happy about the extra two episodes . I needed at least 16 though. There is too much stuff to unpack in this show and 12 is barely enough.

• Jake says:

Concur with Big Mike. For something like Mr Robot I’d rather think about it for myself for awhile, then go to the message boards and see what I missed. Also don’t particularly care to see the cast members out of character.

Dunno what to make of the two-episode increase. Don’t want to whine too much, but it seems awfully late in the game to be hearing about this; as if Esmail now is going to have to scramble to reconfigure the last few episodes. Surely they’ve got at least five or six of the original season order under their belt, if not more. Hope he doesn’t have to pad.

• B says:

Agree about the late addition and what it might do to the story plan. Although, maybe Esmail went to the network and asked for more to complete his story arc. One can hope.

• johnhelvete says:

Hopefully this is the rare case where a season is longer because more time is needed to tell the story. I am not a fan of shows that had 10 episode first seasons being renewed for a longer second season (usually 13 episodes) seemingly because the industry standard for cable series used to be 13 episodes and not for creative reasons.

• Michelle says:

Sounds like it’s a story issue and for it to tie up instead of having a really crappy season finale like coughthewalkingdeadcough

• militantgod says:

Just because USA announced the additional episodes today doesn’t mean this hasn’t been in the cards for awhile. Plus, Esmail may very well have asked for additional hours. It wouldn’t be the first time something of this sort has occurred.

• Tabby says:

Talking Dead is the ONLY after show that I enjoy watching. It’s ALMOST as great as Walking Dead. Chris Hardwick is the best!

• Tom says:

Yeah, it’s getting old now. Talking Dead is fine, even Talking Preacher I’m ok with, but what’s next, Talking Chicago (whatever the 40th incarnation of the CHicago franchise is)?

2. Ian says:

Theyre just tempting fate now. Mr. Robot needs to prove it won’t slump like so many other great shows.

3. Julia says:

I HATE most after shows, but I could see this one working. Mr. Robot can be a bit complicated to follow, so there could be some good discussion afterwards.

4. Kyle says:

What would be better is 90 minute episodes :)

5. Susan says:

I can’t stand this show yet, it continues on while other good shows are cancelled or ending.

• garlick2 says:

Huh?? This was one of the best things on TV last season. Are you commenting about the right show, or are you just trying to troll….Golden Globe winning drama, with a high rating both by press and viewers.

A lot of my fav shows are ending, as is the way with TV, but this program is NOT the issue.

• Jules says:

I can’t wait. Hopefully a marathon of last season before hand so I can watch the last few episodes again. I really love this show even though sometimes I have no idea wtf is going on! And Rami Malek is a beast. He’s so perfectly cast in this. I’ll be crossing my fingers for a well deserved Emmy nom.

• Sorry bout your taste in shows.

• Bill says:

It’s a good show, not the best ever like its hyped to be. I liked the show and thought it was good, but it’s seriously getting so overhyped I feel a letdown coming. Hope I’m wrong

6. couchmom says:

Awesome! Best show on TV during the summer.

7. Kevin says:

I won’t even…look at season 2 reviews before i watch the premiere…that’s how much i respect dis show…the next Breaking Bad for me…

8. Joey Padron says:

Great news the show will get more episodes in new season and have two episode season premiere!

9. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Yay……90min episode but I probably won’t watch the after show tho. I mean all these shows are copying what the TWD did when it got really big. By the way that’s the only after show I’m watching.