Exclusive
Major Crimes Season 5 Additional Episodes

Major Crimes Season 5 Gets Supersized

There will be 62 percent more Major Crimes for Sharon Raydor and her team to solve this season than originally planned.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the recently premiered Season 5 of the TNT crime drama has been expanded by eight episodes, to a total of 21.

The offshoot of The Closer last season delivered a whopping 23 episodes, a series high, as the result of late-August order of five additional hours (which aired as a “standalone” arc this past winter).

Major Crimes airs Mondays at 10/9c, leading out of Rizzoli & Isles‘ seventh and final season.

Want scoop on Major Crimes, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jenny Rarden says:

YAY! From a short 13 to 21. Love that!

2. Christina says:

Yes! Love me some Major Crimes! Excited about this.

3. RedReddington says:

So frakking happy about this!

4. Mr. Smith says:

The only thing I wish they would change is less of the whiny, never changing, Rusty. Other than that, its a great show!

5. tahimar says:

My summer just got evn better!

6. dimple says:

Great news! I love this show. Would love it even more if they weren’t trying so hard to make something out of the Raydor/Flynn relationship that just feels so forced. As the main character she deserves better storylines.

• Naomi B says:

Shandy is absolutely adorable. The problem is that we don’t see enough of them. There is nothing forced about it.

• opus says:

I absolutely agree that the Raydor/Flynn relationship is forced and imo unpleasant. She deserves someone better than Andy Flynn!

• nblackburn01 says:

Someone better??? The guy adores the ground she walks on, is loyal as a lap dog yet knows how to push her gently past her comfort level without being overbearing. What woman doesn’t want that?? Not being too snobbish, aye???

• Sally says:

I love Raydor and Flynn. I’ve wanted them together since The Closer. I think the only reason it can feel forced to some people (not me) is because they don’t devote enough time to it. They’ve skipped, or had off-screen, all of the important stepping stones in the relationship. It’s very frustrating to me because I really wanted to see those, but I think it also makes some people not buy the relationship.

7. Yoko says:

Yay! Who wants to bet Sanchez adopts Rusty’s sibling?!

8. Doug Henning says:

My guess is that TNT has not been able to find something better.. I wish they could add more R&I but I guess the actors want to move on…

• Boiler says:

I have never heard the actors wanted to move on except for Reilly trying to make excuses for the cancellation. If it is true that actors are done it would be nice if THEY would talk as right now TNT just looks idiotic.

• nblackburn01 says:

Ratings prove you wrong. R&I was getting to be too much Llama drama. SSDD. If you don’t like MC, why are you posting here?

• Boiler says:

I don’t think I or anyone has said they don’t like Major Crimes. However ratings prove that those who would like to see R&I continue on, as well as MC are correct as opposed to the other stuff TNT has

9. Jennifer says:

This is really one of my favorite shows, and I was a huge fan of The Closer. But the first two episodes this season have been just okay. I think it’s the comedy part that is missing, but whatever it is I hope the rest of the season is better.

10. Linda Douglas says:

Love that we get more episodes! Can’t believe that the other Sharon is pregnant, crazy!

11. Great news. I love MC

12. Boiler says:

Now they need to do that for R&I since it is its most watched show. How does Kevin Reilly still have a job??

13. cr says:

YAY! Such a great show

14. cp1945 says:

So glad! I love this show. Much better than The Closer.

• KLS says:

Agreed. I hated Kyra Sedgwick’s character/accent. Loved the rest of the show. This show made a great transition into a reboot while loosing a lead. It being on at 10 is a little annoying though.

15. Sharon Hartwig says:

That is awesome!

16. Lilly77 says:

Great news. Love this show.

17. drb999 says:

Best news all day!

18. Sheila says:

Excited to see my favorite show come back for a (most likely) 8 episode winter half of the season!! Love Major Crimes

19. BM says:

There’s some great news!

20. Linda says:

Glad to hear it, makes my summer that much brighter LL
    LL

21. Jules says:

WONDERFUL NEWS! love this show so much!
    Just wish we’d see more personal story lines around Sharon Raydor. There is so much we still don’t know about her. Mary McDonnell is such an incredibly talented actress, wish they’d give her a bit more to work with.
    But I’m really, really happy to have more epis of this wonderful show, more personal story lines or not ;)
    You go Major Crimes! Yeah! :D

22. Kevin In CT says:

Great news I’m a big Major Crimes fan but there are just too many other great shows ending. Rizzoli & Isles, POI, Hell On Wheels to name a few.

23. Carol_R says:

Pleasantly surprised. TNT must be really upset with the awful ratings that The Last Ship got for its season premiere. Of course, they only have themselves to blame for killing off the lead of the show and changing the premise of it. Fans like me who have no interest in watching that show without Rhona Mitra on it will mean that its ratings should drop more. Meanwhile, Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes are doing better in demo ratings and are steady.

24. Happy for Major Crimes!! So sad that Rizzoli and Isles is ending!!

25. Debbie Giannamore says:

Love this !! Now we need another 5 parter !!

26. Boiler says:

I’d be interested to see Matt’s take on this. For fans of the show is this is a set up to no Season 6 because 21 eps for a season is totally out of character for what TNT does, not they know what they are doing anyway

27. Marilyn says:

Wish we could change the time back The 9pm slot was perfect. I don’t understand why they didn’t keep a great ratings show at it 9 pm time and put the ending Rizzoli at 10.

28. Susan Sunde says:

Oh. So we’re going to have a season like we had in the old days? What we called a ‘normal’ season?

29. Ethel says:

One of the best shows on TV although I have to admit I am getting tired of Sanchez screaming at everyone Can’t the man speak in a normal tone of voice

30. popeye013 says:

Very good decision TNT, thank you kindly indeed :)

31. . says:

Absolutely the BEST NEWS. Such hard working people bringing us quality TV.
    Thanks TNT

32. Sarah D says:

Hip hip!

33. Dana says:

Excellent! I look forward to every one. Thanks TNT.

34. Sandra Crossno says:

Thank you for the extra episode of Major Crimes. We love the cast and crew and it just keeps getting better and better. It’s the best show on TNT!!!!! It’s my absolute favorite show on TV!!! My Monday nights just got better!!!! Would like to see more on screen with Sharon/Andy until we know for sure what is going on like with Proflyza. Hope Sanchez adopts Rusty’s Sybiling. It is nice to see the credit side mixed with their personal lives. Makes them more relatable instead of just boring cop show.

35. What an awesome news! This show really is amazing! So happy! Yay

36. Inot says:

Great news more of one of my favourite shows. Looking forward to more great stories and the progression of the Flynn and raydor arc.

37. V Banyash says:

This show just keeps on getting better! Thanks for the extra episodes; can’t wait to enjoy.

38. Sissy says:

Channeling Miss Brenda Lee Johnson, “Yippee.” I loved The Closer, but I’m freaking over the moon about Major Crimes! So happy for additional episodes. Thanks TNT!

39. sunshine says:

Great! The more the better.

40. Michele Cutler says:

Mary McDonnell is THE worst actor & her character has ruined one of our favorite programs. Love all the other actors. Show used to be fun to watch We are hoping McDonnell will be replaced for next season.

41. LaDonna Earl-Jones says:

I’m so happy about more episodes. Also I want Fritz to take Taylor’s place he would be great at it!!!!