Stephen Colbert to Broadcast Live During July's Political Conventions

In a move to maximize its timely commentary on the sure-to-be-noisy happenings at the upcoming Republican and Democratic national conventions, CBS’ The Late Show With Stephen Colbert will broadcast live those two weeks, at 11:35 pm ET.

The Late Show will air live Monday, July 18, through Thursday, July 21 (during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland), and then return with another run of live shows Monday, July 25, through Thursday, July 28 (during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia).

The late-night talker usually tapes each night’s show at 5:30/4:30c, putting it (like rivals) at a disadvantage in covering late-breaking news (such as Monday’s Senate vote on gun control, which Colbert wasn’t able to address until Tuesday night).

Colbert won’t broadcast from Cleveland or Philadelphia, instead staying put at the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York, but The Late Show will have an on-site presence at both conventions.

Previously, HBO announced that Real Time With Bill Maher will air live specials from Los Angeles to cover the Republican convention (on July 20 and 21) and Democratic convention (July 27 and 28).

1. Kim R says:

It will be nice to see him covering the happenings in real time. I feel like he is more in his element when the humor is political. What I would love to see is Jon Stewart doing a few real time specials. I have missed his view point all year.

2. Dee says:

And, of course, he will make every effort to be objective and fair to both events. Yeah, right.

• Preacher Book says:

Can the universe help it if the Republicans have been inflicted with a brain disease which just makes them funnier?

• Angela says:

You do know he has mocked Hilary Clinton many times on his show, right? So yeah, I think he can find plenty to have fun with regarding her and that party.
      That said, it’s not his fault that the Republican Party allowed Trump to be a thing and put forth a group of really lame or scarily backwards-thinking candidates (Cruz, Fiorina, Carson, etc.). If you want to blame someone for making that party a three-ring circus worth mocking on late night TV, instead of being treated like a legitimate political party worth taking seriously, blame the GOP for not coming up with better candidates and the people who voted for Trump.

3. Diz says:

You couldn’t pay me to watch this guy.

• J. Goodwin says:

I understand, you have to have a high enough I.Q. to understand the talking points here and certainly one higher than that of a Pet Rock.

4. CP says:

That’s cool, I guess. He and Seth Meyers have been killing it with how they’re covering this Election cycle…

5. Thurman ray hammons second// says:

Time machine polluted particals an molded sound waves somebody us a time machine in the future an sence I have a certain meteorite exposure I got exsposed to the time machine particals during an acts sent with the time machine

6. Lori DeRoche says:

Donald Trump is a choice the Republican Party will eventually regret, he is not a true political leader. I wonder if they nominated him in order to pass their tax cuts for the elites and wealthy knowing he will endorse them since he has something to gain? I am from Canada and also a dual citizen, I am embarrassed to talk about him with my Canadian friends and family. I believe the grand days of the grand republican party are done,can anyone say GSP or Grand Stupid Party.

7. Sandy says:

So wait he’s not on Philly right now?