Exclusive
Krypton Series at Syfy

Syfy's Krypton: Meet Superman's Grandpa and Other Key Characters

Sure, Superman’s native home planet is going to (SPOILER ALERT!) go boom at the end, but if the casting breakdowns for Syfy’s recently greenlit Krypton pilot are any indication, there was some serious drama playing out in the decades prior.

Krypton’s lead characters include:

SEG-EL | Envisioned here as athletic, quietly confident and in his 20s, comic fans are familiar with an older (and a bit grumpier) Seg from his appearance in the classic Starman No. 51, written by James Robinson with story by Robinson and David S. Goyer, who is executive producer/writer of Krypton. But Seg’s a good guy at any age; in the comics, he and son Jor-El (Kal-El/Superman’s father) helped Starman get away while other Kryptonians wanted to detain – and dissect – the Earthling.

LYTA ZOD | This twentysomething beauty will likely have some familial tie to Superman’s future foe, General Zod, while she herself is a (reluctant) warrior.

VAL-EL | Seg’s genius grandpa defied death by going into the Phantom Zone, and is a staunch believer in space exploration. (We know that’s a lesson he’ll pass along to his great-grandson.)

Other characters include:

ALURA ZOD | Lyta’s mom happens to bear the same name as Kara Zor-El’s mother on Supergirl, while “Zod” always raises an eyebrow because of that whole “kneel before” thing.

DEV-EM | If anyone is going to survive Krypton’s inevitable fate, it’ll be this chiseled, twentysomething bad boy. In the comics, Dev escapes the doomed planet, abuses Superboy on Earth and eventually becomes an ally of the Legion of Super-Heroes… in the 30th century.

TER-EL | AKA Seg’s father. We didn’t get him to play Supergirl’s Man of Steel, but maybe Tom Welling (Smallville) could play Clark’s great-grandfather on Krypton?

Production on the pilot is slated to begin in Montreal later this summer. In the meantime, head to the comments to share you casting tips for Gramps & Co. (Reporting by Michael Maloney)

1. I don’t know much about the backstories for Superman’s family so this should be interesting

2. Drew says:

So if I have this right, per the article, then VAL-EL begat TER-EL, who begat SEG-EL, who begat JOR-EL, who begat KAL-EL (aka Superman). So VAL-EL is KAL-EL’s great-great-grandfather and this show might just be redefining “multi-generational storytelling”…
    Really looking forward to this. I know nothing about Superman that I haven’t learned on TV or the movies, so this will be fun.

3. The Kaibosh says:

Curious as to what they might do with this. It could be really good, or not. What I hope they don’t do (but very much suspect they will) is impose some sense of destiny. That this was all meant to be. Its an over used trope and it smells of weak writing. It was terribly overdone in Smallville whenever Clark heard “Kal-el my son, you have a destiny” or words like that from a bunch of people. I hope they let the story narrative stand on its own for this one. The viewer already knows what will eventually happen. It doesn’t need to be woven into the fabric of the story line to give it some false sense of intrigue.

4. Ryan says:

Seg-El? As in Jerry Sieg-El?

5. chuckiechk says:

if they are following the comics … Seg-El is spelled Seyg-El and it was later changed to Jor-El I the dad of Jor-El II, who was the dad of Superman

6. Stephen H. says:

My only concern is since this is a SyFy project, the budget and production on their produced shows are usually lacking, just check out SyFy’s Flash Gordon as a good example. It would be nice if they actually gave a show a real budget. One of my favorite TV shows (Sliders) that made it’s way from Fox to Sci-Fi as it was known back then, had it’s budget drastically slashed when they picked up the show for it’s fourth season, then left the series on a HUGE cliffhanger at the end of season 5 when they cancelled the show.

I’ll reserve my formal judgements after the pilot is shown, but frankly I’m not expecting much.

• Drew says:

Flash Gordon? Have you seen Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Eureka, Killjoys, Dark Matter, etc.? SyFy has demonstrated to me they can do big budget well, and even stretch smaller budgets so far beyond Flash Gordon levels, that I have no fears about production values for Krypton.

• Michael says:

It probably won’t matter much, since Kryptonians on their home world have no powers.

7. Truthmonger says:

This show will fail. 1 season with a cliffhanger ending that will never get resolved.

• James says:

Most Syfy shows are guaranteed two seasons at most. First season is the warm-up, the second si the real test.

8. V says:

I would recommend reading Kevin J Anderson’s “The Last Days of Krypton”. It fills in some of the pre-explosion blanks

9. tutuche says:

I have the same bad feeling before this TV series I had when It mentioned the TV series Supergirl. This feeling was confirmed that because it is an ultra boring TV series. Supergirl without Superman, it does not make sense in TV series (I await the arrival of Hoechlin). I fear the same for Krypton. Spoiler: the planet explodes. It was one of the causes of the failure of Caprica. No surprises.
    In addition, I fear that for budgetary reasons, kryptoniennes cities look more like New York. I expect to see the towns ice and crystals or a true alien city that nothing earthly.

10. NelsonC says:

Syfy is a bad place for this show……syfy use terrible cgi in their shows

• Dr. M says:

I’m not sure there is a good place for this show. Still… I’m having Caprica flashbacks, and it ain’t good.

11. Haukmoor says:

I miss Jack Knight’s Starman.

12. Michael Mendez says:

Does anyone know where do you sign up for the casting call?

13. kevb62 says:

Actually, it should be spelled “Seyg-El”. (Yeah, I’m a geek.)

14. Paul says:

It’s difficult for me to summon much enthusiasm for a SyFy show, given their track record of not supporting shows. You get interested and bank, they’re gone.

15. Wayne says:

All of this had happened before and all of it will happen again.