Post Mortems
The Fosters Recap

Fosters EP on Nick Danger, 'Brallie' Fallout and 'Complicated' Jude Arc

You’re going to have to keep holding on to that sigh of relief. Though The Fosters clan made it through Monday’s frightening season premiere — in which the Anchor Beach campus was put on lockdown due to a potential shooter threat — they’re hardly out of danger.

With suspected gunman Nick still out there, Stef took nothing for granted and cleared the house first before letting her family inside. But as viewers saw, the teen was in Mariana’s bedroom moments before the cop entered, and “it’s very possible that Nick might still be in the home,” executive producer Bradley Bredeweg teases.

“In a way, the Fosters’ home is on lockdown” during next week’s (almost) bottle episode, the EP previews.

Below, Bredeweg explains why it was important that viewers not see Nick during the school lockdown and why Jude is questioning his sexuality after coming out. He also hints at more “repercussions” for Callie and Brandon now that their secret is out.

TVLINE | Nick and what he’s doing isn’t shown while the school is in lockdown. Was that an intentional decision to focus on the students versus the possible perpetrator?
We really wanted to focus on the terror and the process, what it means to put a school on lockdown. We didn’t want to necessarily focus on the shooter. We wanted to focus on our family, the Anchor Beach Charter staff and how really, truly frightening this situation can be. When something tragic like this happens, we tend to focus on the person behind the gun first and not the people that are affected by it. We wanted to take a different point of view during this episode.

TVLINE | Nick very much remains an enigma throughout the premiere. We don’t really know what his intentions are – does he want to hurt himself, Mariana or just anyone? What is his mindset through all this?
Obviously, Nick has a heartbreaking history. We’ve been able to explore his relationship with his fathera little bit. He comes from a very broken household. There is some mental instability there with Nick, and we believe that that has to be the focus in these tragedies as well. How can we put more focus into our mental health system in order to help prevent serious situations like this moving forward? Nick is in a very bad place. It’s a multi-layered situation for him.

TVLINE | Will there be more fallout for Brandon and Callie following the reveal of their relationship?
Absolutely. You know our moms pretty well by now. There is major fallout that has repercussions throughout the entire Season 4A. It very much is a driver and a big part of the season.

The Fosters RecapTVLINE | Talk to me about Jude’s confusion and his arc this season.
Look, he’s a 13-year-old, and sexuality at 13 is a very complicated thing. He certainly knows who he is, but he is exploring all sides of that. He had gone through some tragedy, having lost Jack, and the breakup with Connor was a heartbreaking moment for him. So when a 13-year-old boy is going through those kinds of complications and emotions, that boy might tend to step back and say, “Why are all these bad things happening to me? Why can’t I just be what I feel like I am?” We’re really interested in exploring that.

TVLINE | There are a lot of viewers who really love Jude and his storyline, and look to him as a beacon of hope or a role model, in a way. What do you say to those fans who are concerned it’s going in a different direction now?
I wouldn’t be concerned about that. When I was 13 years old, I certainly knew that I was gay. There are complications to that as a 13-year-old boy. You do look at the world around you and you do question and you do wonder and you do look internally and you do beat yourself up about it sometimes. It’s a different time now, of course, but as we’ve seen [recently], there’s still a lot of hate and question marks and people that point fingers and come down on you for those kinds of things. So to be a 13-year-old gay boy is a very complicated thing, and we’re very interested in exploring what that’s like. I wouldn’t be afraid of it as an audience member. To me, that makes [Jude] even more of a role model. It’s complicated to be a 13-year-old boy to begin with. Add to that that you’re a gay 13-year-old boy in a world in which you don’t always feel safe. You live in a safe house, but the world outside of it is not necessarily as safe as the Fosters’ home.

Fosters fans, what did you think of the season opener? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Ian says:

The Fosters has fallen so far from a strong affecting drama to Finding Carter, basically. Or Switched at Birth, lol. Yes, I’m being shady. It sucks how lost a good series can get as early as its 2nd season.
    And as a gay person and former pre-teen, give me a break. Jude’s just lost on me now. If Hayden was that anxious to play a straight relationship onscreen, they should just own up to it.
    I don’t even watch this show anymore.
    Guess it’s just nice to get it off your chest sometimes though.

2. flowerduh says:

I like the fact that it turns out it wasn’t a school shooting. With all of the violence that’s going on right now; I don’t want to see another senseless killing—even if it is fiction.

Overall I give e the episode a “B”.

3. Simon says:

Best episode of the series.

4. pecola says:

This might have been a great episode of some other show but it struck me as horribly out of place for this show. It felt like the kind of episode you produce to get ratings, not as a sincere effort to turn a mirror on America’s problem with guns.

5. The Fosters season 4 was awesome and scary at the same time but I love it.

6. Aleana says:

I like it even though this storyline happen in real life most of the time but it was a good episode because it focus less on Callie and Brandon which I’m getting tired of and wish they drop them having romantic feelings for each other and have them actually be siblings which they are now and if the keep going there I’m done with this show and I really don’t want to

• Christy says:

+1 Reading above that the fallout and repercussions of Brandon and Callie’s relationship will last for the entire Season 4A makes me wonder if I want to take that ride. Brandon and Callie are the worst continuing storyline ever.

• I was a fan of the show up until last season, when I stopped watching. I got very tired of the Callie/Brandon mess, and Teri Polo’s character became more unlikable each week. It’s ridiculous to carry this Callie/Brandon thing on and on–they are teenagers, and usually for most teens, the first “love” relationship rarely lasts this long, especially when things get more complicated than their level of emotional maturity can handle. I really hoped this show would do more since I worked in the child welfare system for many years, and there are a lot of good stories that could be told within that context.

7. Your right I love this show but they to stop talking about Callie and Brandon this season is more of a Mariana season.

8. Diana says:

I love this show, however I was diisappointed with all the texting and emails. Unless I watch it on a very large TV, I cannot read them. Plus generally they run too fast.

9. sue o'connor says:

The Fosters are really coming out and dealing with real life realities. Sadly, this part of our society. They go about it in a realistic, sincere, sympathetic fashion. This is what makes it an AWESOME show. Looking forward to the weeks ahead.

10. Joyce says:

i give the fosters season 4 premiere was brilliantly writen A++++

11. jacqueline hoffeins says:

I liked the first episode and respect showing such real situations in this show BUT this show is getting lost. I almost feel like the fight for adopting Callie and Jude was long and drawn out and now that they are adopted they story writers are like “Now what?” Focusing on the other foster kids I guess is the route they plan to go. A thriller though? I don’t know how I feel about that.
    As far as Callie and Brandon, I can understand where they are both are. Teenage love can be long or really short. If you feel like you love someone at their age letting go is hard. I can recall the feeling to wanting someone or something you can’t have like I am sure most people can. In other words, I think the story writers are dead on with Callie and Brandon.
    I am looking forward to seeing if this show will sink or swim.

12. Lacy says:

My family and I never miss the show and I’m a 50 year old gay guy. I couldn’t breathe during the show. It was a great episode. I understand Jude’s feelings. I knew I was gay at an early age but I still tried to be the bf of all my girl friends. He’ll figure it out. Keep up the good work, guys. Your fans appreciate it.

13. Amber Quilliams says:

This was by far the best episode. The emotion I felt as a mother was unreal… thank you for this episode of school shooting reality. I’m excited for next monday!

14. Paula Bollentin says:

Some of the ignorance in the comments are overwhelming. This show is LIFE as we live it today in so many ways shown on this show !! This s

how like no other is ,,Gutsy, Real, and Brilliant in every way !!!!

15. Patricia Fiess says:

As a parent and an educator the season premier was very strong. I love the show and have watched every single episode and this one was the best. These situations are real and do happen far to much. Keep up the good work.

16. Sherrin Frazer says:

Can’t wait for more to come. The seasons can’t seem to be on soon enough!!!!!