Penny Dreadful Finale

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Finale Recap: The Night Creatures Have Their Day

In the dazzling third season finale of Penny Dreadful, Dracula went pale (well, paler) at the thought of a confrontation with his “singular enemy,” the hound of God. But Vanessa wasn’t concerned in the slightest. Let Ethan come for her, she said. “He and I shall write the ending in blood, as it was always going to be.” What did she mean by that? Read on and find out!

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Recap‘THE VERY AIR WILL BE PESTILENCE TO MANKIND’ | As we began “Perpetual Night,” the first episode of the two-parter, Dr. Seward caught Renfield listening to recordings of her sessions with Vanessa for his master and asked where Dracula was keeping her. Alas, that information was, as Renfield put it, “not for [her] ears — unless [he] may keep them.” After he took a bite of a frog — one of the many night creatures sent up through the drainpipes by Vanessa and Dracula’s unholy union — Seward’s secretary quipped, “I think we can consider this my resignation, Doctor,” and attacked her. (Big mistake on his part: You don’t f— with Patti LuPone.)

Meanwhile, fresh off the boat from the States, Ethan, Sir Malcolm and Kaetenay made their way through London, its streets empty save for the wild dogs and rats, to find a group of Dracula’s familiars lying in wait for them at the Murray mansion. Once the men’s butts had been saved by the timely arrival of Catriona — as elegant a badass as ever there was — Ethan went to fetch Victor to tend to Sir Malcolm’s superficial vampire bite, and Seward showed up partaking in the day’s most popular pastime: looking for Vanessa.

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Recap‘I SHALL BE UNMADE’ | In bedlam, rather than stick around to watch Victor domesticate Lily, Dorian bid her farewell and headed home to do some “housekeeping” — which amounted to throwing out his lover’s army of fallen women. Unwilling to believe that Lily had been tamed, Justine stabbed Dorian, who was as unimpressed as you’d expect. “You have glimpsed liberty, and that is more than most will ever know,” he told her. Now “go back to your short little life.” Since she couldn’t bear to do so, he granted her wish and snapped her neck.

Back in bedlam, Lily tried every trick in the book to convince Victor not to administer his “cure” — from vowing that she “would rather die than live as [his] demure little wife” to reminding him that she’d only been created as an “offering” to the Creature. Ironically, the tactic that worked wasn’t a tactic at all: She simply shared the tragic story of her baby daughter, who’d frozen to death while she’d been out whoring. “Please don’t take her from me,” she begged. And, moved, he didn’t. “It is too easy being monsters,” he concluded, setting free his creation. “Let us try to be human.”

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Recap‘YOU POISONED MY HEART!’ | Arriving at Victor’s, Ethan encountered the boy familiar, who eagerly escorted him to the doctor into an ambush. While Dracula’s minions surrounded the werewolf, their master appeared and (dropping some verbatim Stoker) remarked, “The creatures of the night… what music they make.” He couldn’t blame his rival for being enamored of Vanessa, but that love, the vampire said, was Ethan’s tragedy, not hers. When the werewolf insisted that his destiny was joined with Vanessa’s, Dracula allowed his familiars to attack — to no avail. Not only did the full moon transform Ethan into a furry killing machine, it also turned Kaetenay into a wolfman!

Naturally, once the sun rose in the second hour, “The Blessed Dark,” the first thing Ethan wanted to know from his Apache father was, WTH?!? Turned out, Kaetenay had thought that he was cursed until a vision revealed to him that his purpose in life was to give Ethan the power to save the world. So “I claimed you for God,” the Apache said. Needless to say, this did not go over well with Ethan, who for so long had been wracked with guilt over the trail of blood that forever followed in his wake.

‘FLINT IS THE HEART OF THE WORLD’ | While the Creature dreamt of returning his family to their old home, maybe even visiting the highlands, it wasn’t to be: At the start of Episode 2, Jack finally succumbed to his long illness. Just as heartbreaking — possibly even more so? — Marjorie didn’t want the boy buried. No, she ordered her husband to take his body to Dr. Frankenstein for reanimation. If the Creature couldn’t come back with Jack as he was, then he shouldn’t come back at all, she added. Unable to allow his son to be turned into another “grisly, undead thing,” the Creature carried Jack’s body into the sea and released him.

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Recap‘I’LL ALWAYS BE HERE’ | Returning to Dorian’s, Lily was saddened to discover that the result of her glorious endeavor was merely “one more dead child” — Justine. Dorian assured the former Brona Croft that an uncaring, passionless existence such as his — and such as hers could be — was a small price to pay to be as perfect and unchanging as the portraits hanging from his walls. “I hope they watch over you,” she said before leaving to pursue a different kind of life. “You’ll be back,” he predicted (incorrectly, it was clear), “and I’ll be here.”

In bedlam, Victor had just learned from Henry that Jekyll’s father had died and left him both the estate and title (making him Lord Hyde) when Frankenstein ran into Sir Malcolm, Dr. Seward and Catriona, who’d found out from inpatient Renfield that Dracula had Vanessa at the slaughterhouse. (Yes, I know that was a lot of information to pack into one sentence. We’re working up to some big stuff, people! We don’t have time to waste!) The upshot: The foursome would rendezvous with Ethan and Kaetenay at vampire HQ.

‘SHE’S NOT YOURS, SHE’S MINE’ | Before entering Dracula’s lair, Ethan and Kaetenay separated from the group to take an underground approach, and Sir Malcolm warned Dr. Seward that they wouldn’t be able to look out for her inside. “I’m a New Yorker,” she replied. “We know our way around random gunplay.” Once Dracula had introduced “all the children of the mother of evil,” he invited the unwelcome guests to leave — alive, per Vanessa’s wishes. And they might have, had Sir Malcolm not asked why the vampire had turned his beloved Mina. She was just a way to get to Vanessa, he explained. “Although her flesh was sweet, and I enjoyed her.”

At that, Sir Malcolm told Victor, Dr. Seward and Catriona to leave. “We’re all doomed in this place,” he said. “Makes a change for a Tuesday, though,” cracked Catriona. Drs. Frankenstein and Seward weren’t going anywhere, either. The latter was especially underwhelmed by Dracula. “F— him,” spat the shrink. So, as soon as Sir Malcolm took a shot at “Alexander,” all hell broke loose, with the foursome engaging in a spectacular — and spectacularly bloody — battle with the vampire’s familiars. When at last our heroes were surrounded, Ethan and Kaetenay burst in from below to bail them out!

Penny Dreadful Season 3 Finale

‘WITH A KISS… ’ | Determined to keep Ethan from reaching Vanessa, Dracula attacked him. So, one by one, Sir Malcolm, Victor, Dr. Seward and Catriona intervened, giving the werewolf a chance to sneak away and find Miss Ives. Once he had, she admitted, “It hurts more than I thought it would, seeing you.” Still, she could not leave with him. “My battle must end,” she knew, “or there will never be peace on earth.” Putting Ethan’s pistol in his hand, she kissed him, and together, they recited the Lord’s prayer before he shot her. “Oh, Ethan,” she said with her dying breath, “I see our Lord.” And just like that, she was gone.

When Ethan carried Vanessa’s body into the main room, Dracula gave up throttling Sir Malcolm and disappeared. Later, at Murray mansion, Sir Malcolm confessed to Ethan, “Never have I so wanted to run away.” He wasn’t going to, however. He was going to stay put and figure out who he was without Vanessa. And Ethan? He would stick around, too. After all, he told Sir Malcolm, “You’re my family.” The following day, an unseen guest attended Vanessa’s funeral: her dearest friend, the Creature.

So, what did you think of the season finale? And what do you make of “The End” title card that flashed as “The Blessed Dark” concluded? (For the record, at press time, Showtime has yet to renew Penny Dreadful for a fourth season.) Grade the episodes below, then hit the comments with your theories.

1. Erica says:

Is this the end? I would have prepared myself better

• The Beach says:

After watching the double episode with its different opening credits and final “The End” I knew what has now been confirmed via Youtube. This was a terrific end to a wonderful series. Thank you Showtime, James Logan and the entire cast and crew.

2. Pamela says:

Is Eva green leaving the show?! Wth is that?

3. That 100% felt like a series finale. It is such a gorgeous show I pray it comes back next year with new characters. But I will be content with what we had over 3 seasons a beginning a middle and an end. John Logan really wrote so beautifully. I look forward to his future work in series television. I just hope Showtime makes an announcement either way so I can let go of the show and not hope for another season.

4. Aleana says:

I’m wondering is this the series finale because at the end it’s said the end if not i don’t know if I’ll comeback to watch because what drew me to the show was Eva Green

5. Alichat says:

This felt very much like a series finale which saddens me. And I expected there to be more to Ethan and Vanessa’s final meeting. I was expecting it to end with her ending Dracula….with Ethan’s help…so I’m a bit disappointed.

• piakdy says:

More & more I think the show (or Vanessa’s story) is too traditionally Christian to give many modern viewers satisfaction. Dracula/evil is defeated not by death but by ending his days of glory/gory. Sexual satisfaction is evil – all Vanessa’s sexual dalliances lead to catastrophe. ‘True Love’ is chaste & spiritual & help you find your way back to God. Accepting yourself leads to evil, accepting God’s superiority & forgiveness leads to salvation no matter how badly you sinned. Lily’s storyline on the otherhand seems much more modern. To be able to say to your Creator that you rather bear the pain than to be ‘saved’ by becoming a docile sheep seem more in keeping with modern individualism.

6. Laurie Landing says:

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was to see this ending. This was one of my favorite shows and it will be sorely missed if this really is the ending. I want to believe that this is not the case. Have always loved this show. Very, very disappointed! And sad!

• Kate says:

I am so angry that this show ended like this. I feel betrayed.

• vanvon says:

“I feel betrayed”! Geez, it’s a TV show. I am so sick and tired of whiny viewers who believe they have the right to tell artists how to create.

• mooshki says:

Those “artists” wouldn’t have a medium without the viewers. It’s a symbiotic relationship. And if it is art, doesn’t it make sense that people would have strong feelings about it?

• It was a really bad ending to an amazing show. In fact, this season was really bad. There was so much potential but they wasted it. Example…. they say Dracula can transform… they call him the dragon… yet you never see it. Hyde/Jekyll transformation only in name… lame! All the new characters wasted talent. And the ending ending was so untriumphant. You think it could have been bigger… but they took the easy way out. After 13 years of working in TV, I can say that this was a horrible way to end a brilliant show.

7. Chris says:

Amazing finale, amazing fight scene. I hope it’s not the end 😢

8. James says:

I don’t think this is meant to be the end. It could probably work in case Showtime doesn’t renew the show, but I think it’s more a hint of what’s to come. If ‘The Mummy’ rumors are true, maybe they are going to try to bring back Vanessa from the dead next season.

9. Juliette O'Connor says:

I loved the beauty of this show. And hope this isn’t the end to Vanessa and Ethan. I am sure they can continue somehow.
    I hope Showtime will bring it back for another season.

• Pamela says:

I know. I was thinking this is it?! I watched three seasons for Vanessa to be dead and not getting together with Ethan?! Showtime needs to clarify this fast.

10. There’s gotta be way to bring back Vanessa. The vampire resurrection thing perhaps. I hope.

11. niloofar says:

😭😭😭

12. Carolyn Fisher says:

John Clare always breaks my heart. What an amazing show.

13. Victoria says:

The death of Miss Ives was a twist I was not expecting. And “THE END” rolling across the screen even more so. I am rather blue about all of it. Why are they bumping up Hyde to Lord Hyde, only to end the show? From the beginning of Season 1 we were aware that Vanessa was always going to struggle with the forces of evil, and the entire premise had always been – “never give up, never give in”. So the “just kill me and get it over with”, attitude just didn’t seem to be fitting for her character. She had gone through much worse than what she encountered this season. She wasn’t known as a quitter. Well, until tonight.

All I can say is since this is horror FICTION and Frankenstein has already proved that characters can be re-animated ( better each time, as although Lily was rather “angry”, she didn’t look like the creature and blended in just fine) Also, one mustn’t forget Dorian is immortal as well. So, it wouldn’t be out of the question to somehow bring back our dear Miss Ives, as I fear fans will revolt without her. Some characters are simply NON expendable.

14. Liz985 says:

Nooooo! Damn you, John Logan! ☹️☹️☹️

• Liz985 says:

OK, , I will miss this show tremendously. The amazing cast, phenomenal writing, and wonderfully creative interpretation of well-known stories was something I’m happy to have found and appreciated. Glad I didn’t know it was the series finale because I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy it. Wish there had been more time with all of the characters (didn’t need the long walk through Renfield’s mind to find Vanessa but, oh well). I think it is the benefit of mapping out a series, though, that all of the threads seemed to get tied up in a satisfying way.

15. A Way says:

This can’t be the end!!! I purchased a Showtime subscription just for this show!!!!!

16. it’s official John Logan confirmed on the showtime youtube page that was the series finale. RIP Penny Dreadful :(

17. Tim says:

It seems like maybe showtime cancelled it so John Logan added “The End” to it.

• Simon Jester says:

Logan said two years ago that he had mapped out three seasons. (Personally, I suspected it was the series finale as soon as the altered opening credits sequence rolled.)

18. Et al. says:

All of the clips on showtime ‘s YouTube page are titled series finale :( at least it was a damn great one.

19. I’m so sad that the show has ended, but at the same time with the end of Dracula’s power over Vanessa et al. the whole series comes to a nicely tied-up conclusion. Better to let the show end at the top of its game than to have it dwindle on parallel adventures that dilute the characters.

20. Barb says:

We love penny dreadful, please bring it back!!!!!!!!!

21. James D says:

what an incredible series. I should feel very sad that this may well be the end, but I’m not, I’m just grateful we got what we got. John Logan is nothing short of brilliant. I will always be amazed that a horror show could so aptly depict the fragility, fickleness, and beauty of the human condition. I hope he comes up with another gem and Rory stars in it the Creature was the best character ever :)

22. Sandra says:

That was so disappointing tbh. Vanessa lost her faith, give in to Dracula and then she just went: “ugh this is hard just kill me” and then she just recover her faith like nothing happen while dying. It was so anti climatic and cheap for a show that usually works this things better. Honestly, why did Renfield got more depth of character than Vanessa tonight? Why was a scene where you kill the most important and developed character so rushed and lazy? I love this show, but seriously this finale was disappointing.

• Alichat says:

After watching the episodes again, I am a bit disappointed as well. We spent an entire season with Ethan and Vanessa apart and they were supposed to be the end game. Why was their reunion and her death so rushed? And I found it odd that Ethan could be tossed around so easily by Dracula and the other vamps, and he’s a mythical being as well so a bit stronger than most. I expected him to be able to put up a better fight with Dracula. Also, regarding Vanessa giving into Dracula, I had assumed it was intentional on her part. That it was her plan to get Dracula into a vulnerable position, then she would kill him. Then we….and she and Ethan….would realize that killing him doesn’t rid the world of the pestilence fog…and everything else….and that she would have to die. So then she would ask Ethan to end it. I feel that, this being the series end, they could have aired the first hour this week, and a 90 minute series finale next week giving more time for Vanessa’s redemption and end.

• Eve says:

So much that made no sense. Ethan is revealed to be the Wolf of God, the only one who can defeat Dracula. Dracula even mentions this to Vanessa. In previous episodes, Vanessa was shown to be stronger than Lucifer and Dracula. Then in the end, she gives in to Dracula and Ethan shoots her with a gun and kills her. So why did it matter that Ethan was the Wolf of God? Dracula got away in the end. Barely even a fight between those two. So much backstory and buildup with no payoff at all.

• Alichat says:

EXACTLY! This…..so much this! Also, Kaetenay had spent the last 4 or 5 episodes mentioning that Ethan must end the darkness that is coming and that he turned him specifically because of that. If all he needed to do was shoot Vanessa to end the darkness, why did he need to be turned? Why is he the Wolf of God if only his trigger finger was needed???

• piakdy says:

Maybe he had to be turned so the moniker ‘Wolf of God’ would fit. Again I think the show’s too traditionally Christian. So killing Dracula/evil wouldn’t be true defeat. Immortality on Earth is protrayet as a curse through Dorian, the Creature, & Dracula himself. So killing Dracula wouldn’t be satisfying enough for God & his believers. The message is evil may win the battle but will always lose the war of controlling the world. V&E are merely God’s pawns/soldiers. Dracula will forever have to live with this defeat which would be more torturous to him than being no more.

23. Anne says:

This does, indeed, appear to be The End. I will miss the show, especially the exquisite Eva Green. I think there are still plenty of tales to be told in old London Town, and many more of our beloved childhood monsters to revisit. But it would appear the Showtime has spoken.

24. Tommy says:

Please have the 4 th Season on of the Pennydreadful. This is one best TV series I have seen in a very long time.

25. CK says:

I hope it’s not the end, but I do think this served as a beautiful series finale. Everyone reached a resolved point in their 3 season arcs. If they do come back, I think they will need to revamp the series.

26. LAwoman says:

I loved this series so much. I will be sad if this is, indeed, the end.

27. Valerie Bay says:

Vanessa dead? No way. I hope she was a vampire and erupts out of the grave at the begging of season 4 with the immediate need to kill Dracula to free her from that. If not I am done with Showtime.

28. Al'Niah says:

Since Penny Dreadfuls were about more monsters than the ones we’ve met in seasons 1-3 I’m guessing, if there is a season 4, it’ll be about Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Maybe some other monsters. They have so much room in that case. But there’s still so much to be desired from this finale. Wtf.

29. paul says:

Worst ending ever….. I can’t believe this is the series finale..

30. Penn says:

Well if this isn’t the ultimate fan betrayal, I don’t know what is. And talk about a negative message for strong women. Thanks. I won’t be watching if this does come back.

31. Amanda says:

This is looking more likely that it was the series finale and I’m so sad about that. I started to feel it once the second episode started and the opening credits were different, and then what happened with Vanessa and “the end” title card just sealed it for me. However, I feel there is so much more left to be told with what happens to Ethan and Malcolm now, if Lyle did find The Mummy in Egypt, what Jekyll’s life is like as Lord Hyde, if Victor ever finds happiness, what happens next to John and Lily, finding out how Dorian became immortal and his actual backstory, and more about Catriona. It felt rushed at times and made me wonder if something happened behind the scenes that stopped a fourth season like Eva leaving or of Logan was done or the network was. Just sad to see this end and I’m going to miss the show so much.

32. BJT0223 says:

Once I saw “The End”, I knew it was definitely over…and I am content with the ending.

33. Katie_Mead says:

I hope to see another tri-seasonal story-arc of Penny Dreadful, even without the amazing, glorious, 3×09 primary decedent (whom I shall probably watch, no matter what the actor moves onto … film or TV … unless soap or comedy). The quality of acting, staging and direction across the board is worthy of watching a production live at the Swan, Stratford-upon-Avon or the Big Smoke’s Old Vic, and the cinematography can also be amazing.

34. Jack R says:

I will be surprised if the show come back unfortunately. Would love to be proven wrong but not counting on it. If the opening credits weren’t enough, I could clearly see the turning point in the script’s last hour where the show clearly could go in one direction or the other. And they went with a wrap up probably knowing something we don’t know regarding getting a pick up. Instead of the Creature seeking out Frankenstein, we see the poignant moment at the docks, definitively ending that plot. We get the nod and a wink to Mr. Hyde instead of an actual Hyde. Frankenstein redeems himself. Ethan’s story is now told. Dorian delivers his character defining statement brining the ‘end’ of his story. Frankenstein just happens to bump into the war party when convenient so he can be part of the finale. Lilly departs. Dracula, the undying menace, merely walks off camera. Vanessa, the connective character linking all other characters and the driving narrative of the entire show is now dead after an uncharacteristic resignation of submission in the penultimate episode. Meanwhile we have no showdown between Dracula and the Wolf of God. No Vanessa redeemed smiting Dracula as she did his ‘brother’ in last season’s finale. That all spells series ending, if it weren’t clearly being stated after the last scene. Disappointing. Particularly since this season and the acting were so damn strong. I will really miss this one.

35. Marj Riniker says:

It has been confirmed that this was the series finale. Such a heartbreaker, as I love these characters!

36. Mimi says:

I am disappointed for such a darkly beautiful show. A superb cast, visually stunning and outstanding writing. Rory’s soliloquy by Wordsworth was sublime. But the wrap-up SUCKED! Ya know, I’m a lousy writer but I offer a better ending: i.e., Dracula kept referring to her as the “Mother of all Evil” … wouldn’t it been lovely if Ms. Ives discovered her truest self as ‘Lilith’? THAT would have been an amazing ending. She would have been an immortal … or Frankenstein and John Clare digging her up at the end to ‘resurrect’ her. as they say, ‘sh*tsh*t sh*tonit’!

Drac did keep saying he only wanted to ‘serve’ her. The damned writers …

I’ll get over it … I just need a few days.

• janaeve says:

Yes, it would have been much better to see her embrace her power – for evil or for good – than to just give up and die.

• KCC says:

While you saw it as giving up and dying, I saw it as self sacrifice to atone for her weakness in succumbing to Dracula and evil. While it’s a sad ending for Vanessa, it makes sense to me given the character’s perpetual inner conflict between good and evil. Defeating Dracula and evil would have made this a fairy-tale and not the gothic-tale is was designed to be. At least her death brought sunlight back to the world.

• Danijela says:

She could have done it without any of the characters- she is enough for sacrifice, but self sacrifice in that manner would be a suicide which is not approved by christianity and isnt a sacrifice at all…However, story about The wolf of God doesnt have to be told if this is the end- it is not equal to the high standards the story is built on…

37. Jon says:

“The End” sort of made the whole Vanessa story-line moot. Everything she went through, her trials and hardships basically were for nothing. I get the sub-plots how being alone made her vulnerable, but it didn’t mesh well with the character. All of a sudden she decided to give up, there was very little build up to her being defeated.

38. Selena says:

No Season 4?? So sad. I so wanted happiness for the tortured Vanessa. The Creature is the heart of this show. The last Scene with the Creature narrating in the end was haunting and poetic. I am in mourning.

39. Mel says:

There’s better be season 4 and there’s better be Vanessa. I don’t care how they are going to bring her back. They can use one of those machine Frankenstein has for all I care.
    There are still so many things to be told: The Demon, Dracula (I’m not hanging around to see if he’s coming back or not though. Whenever I watch him and Ethan I reminded with Edward and Jacob but thank God they are so much better than E and J), Jekyll, and many demon-like-serial-murderers-of-the-past.
    I’m not waiting 3 seasons for an ending like this!

40. Bill says:

Meh. Couldn’t they have just killed Dracula to end his spell over Vanessa? That would have been better and more satisfying imo. If it was always intended as the end then why did Dracula get away? God show, the ending just lacked a little bit

41. Lori Pettit says:

This was a great show. I hope they come back w/ season 4 and bring Vanessa back w/ the duality they’ve given to other actors in the show. If they don’t I’m going to be seriously sad.

42. Not sure how anyone could say this was a good season that the finale was good. There was not as much character development here. The new characters introduced….. same they did not take them farther. Dracula is said he can die in human form… yet never transforms. Jekyll/Hyde… waste of time… lousy fake transformation in name only. Other new characters really did not move the plot forward. It was just a shame that they could have done more…. if they had done more… and had a better finale…. then maybe it would be ok. But they really let things fall flat. The other seasons were a million times better. I felt no attachment to any characters this season.

43. Gary Johnson says:

Yes make it happen, season 4!!
    You know that you want to.

44. LH says:

Incredible show.A Brona/Ethan reunion would have been interesting.

45. Raelea says:

3 seasons is all that was intended, people! Get over it! It was perfect from beginning to end. If you want Hollywood ending watch Hollywood garbage. This is the best show that has ever been on TV. John Logan only wrote 3 seasons because that was his story in it’s entirty. That was it. All done. Now stop whining.

46. Mye says:

The poor creature just couldn’t get a break :(

47. Paul pousson says: