Live With Kelly and Jeff

Live With Kelly and... Jeff Gordon? Racing Legend Eyed as New Co-Host

Retired racing legend Jeff Gordon has zoomed to the top of ABC’s short list to succeed Michael Strahan as Kelly Ripa’s new Live co-host, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Gordon has experience sitting alongside Ripa. During the Live With Regis and Kelly era, he served as Ripa’s sidekick nine times. (He even did a stint opposite Reege in 2001 before Ripa came on board).

He most recently appeared on the show in June 2015, but just as a guest.

Since retiring from professional stock car racing in 2015, the 44-year-old Gordon has transitioned into broadcasting (he currently serves as a Fox NASCAR analyst). Should he snag the Live gig, his career path would closely mirror that of the man he’d be replacing; Strahan, who exited Live last month for a full-time gig at Good Morning America, also segued into broadcasting after retiring from the NFL.

Live is expected to continue pairing Ripa with a parade of guest co-hosts until a final decision is made later this summer. Other names in the permanent co-host mix include former Grinder star Rob Lowe and Ripa’s BFF Anderson Cooper.

Regarding the Gordon buzz, a Live rep tells TVLine, “Lots of rumors out there, but we don’t comment on co-host speculation.” Gordon’s spokesperson, meanwhile, also declined TVLine’s request for comment.

Sneak a peek at one of Gordon’s previous Live co-hosting stints, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on his candidacy!

1. Great idea. I’d start watching again!!

• Rob Horine says:

I’d start watching again too. As long as they fired Ripa. Hate her guts.

• S Hollingsworth says:

Kelly needs to:

1 Be more real / less fake AND actually Listen to her Guests,

2 Instead of turning every Interview into ‘All About KELLY, All-the-Time!!!’ *

* 3 Stop using the phrase – IT’S SO FUNNY! We count it, like A Drinking Game Alert: one show, Kelly (IT’S SO FUNNY!!!) used IT’S SO FUNNY!!! as an interview CRUTCH 25-times!!!

4 Kelly – you’re not FUNNY, you’re Hailey from All My Children, Masquerading as a talk show host. IT’S SO NOT FUNNY (really?) Really!

• Belle says:

I love Jeff Gordon, it’s Kelly that is the turn off for me…she has gone from funny, sweet and endearing to an entitled feeling diva who brings up her weight and body as though she is fat constantly :( I am sick of her implying she is not skinny, how many times has she said things like this: I’m wearing 6 spanks under this dress. I will only go back to watching if she is able to check that ego of hers at the entrance to the stage.

• S Hollingsworth says:

Yessss, Belle, B-I-N-G-O!!! You are so right:

Kelly has been with ABC 26 years (first as Hailey), then onto LIVE,

(and at first on LIVE, 15-years ago, Kelly ‘WAS’ fun, spontaneous, interested in her Guests – NOT anymore!!!

We could have a Contest: what repetitive things ANNOY you most about Kelly –

1. Let me show you my MODEL WALK (then she flounces down the Runway): I can’t be a MODEL, look how Fat I am! Oh, yes – just look at all-my-FAT!!! (It’s So FUNNY!!!)

2. Fake Smoking (like, wow, have you noticed I’ve done this fake comedy bit 20-Million-Times?). No, Wait – that’s what I earn, that’s my Salary!

3. My Dad was a BUS-DRIVER for 30-years!!! **
        ** My Dad thinks ‘we’re all being SILLY, complaining about our Tiny Salaries!!!

4. Suggestion: LIVE Editors should make show tapes of Kelly’s Annoying, Repetitive mannerisms / complaints / fake-isms AND, force Kelly to watch it! Question: would she even notice the Annoying Things? Doubt it, she’d be too interested in looking at her hair and noticing how ‘Fat’ she was.

• Nelson Muntz says:

Alec Baldwin would be awesome. Gordon is like stale white bread

• S Hollingsworth says:

Alec would be a good choice: lively, fresh, spontaneous – you never know what he might say! He also has a way of telling hilarious stories, too.

2. Won’t happen. It may draw in Southern viewers, but it’s not broad enough in 2016.

Expect Kelly Ripa to continue being an egomaniacal tyrant until she finds someone who fits the criteria of being approved by the producers and who Kelly feels is “beneath her” in star power, so as to not threaten her alpha status.

• S Hollingsworth says:

Exactly – I agree! But, does anyone from the show read these posts? I wonder – so many people are sharing the same observations, how could they not notice ‘the obvious?’

This show has potential – but NOT with Kelly as the sole host: her Ego is too HUGE!!! *

* and yes, Kelly, we know you have a Halloween show but you don’t need to bring it up, all the time, trying to find a way to ‘Interject’ yourself into every interview – ‘I played your character on our Halloween Show, wanna-see-a-clip???’ Er, no, I thought I came here to Promote my movie, didn’t I?

‘No, you came on LIVE to hear all about me, Me, ME, it’s All-About-KELLY! ‘

• The Beach says:

I love Anderson Cooper but he is a bigger star than Ripa so that won’t work…so is Alec Baldwin. During the last hunt (pre-Strahan) I thought Jeff Probst was a natural. But, hey, I haven’t watched this show in years so who cares.

3. Max says:

Ummm… No.

4. Eric7740 says:

NO!!!!! I’ll only accept Anderson Cooper, Jeff Probst, or Neil Patrick Harris, that’s it!!!

5. Lynn says:

Please not Anderson Cooper or Andy Cohen. They have both been on recently and they are boring. I know they’re Kelly’s friends and maybe that’s the problem. I really didn’t want to hear how her and Cooper spent Memorial Day together.

• S Hollingsworth says:

I agree, Boring – we’re all friends, we’re all rich – let’s just talk about ourselves and how rich we are!

6. Ann says:

I watched him on Celebrity Poker Showdown once and he was SO RUDE. No way.

7. Westindiesgirl says:

It’s time to end this show, fire Ripa and end the pain. No, just fire Ripa. Nasty little thing.

• Sharon Harris says:

I agree. Can’t stand Kelly Ripa.

• DakotaS says:

Why do people who don’t like someone or a show always have to troll & say cancel the show. Use your remote and don’t watch. Hundred people earn a living on the show and it makes money for Disney. Find something else to do for the hour instead of spreading your hate & negativity

• S Hollingsworth says:

LIVE! is an entertaining show, I’ve been a fan for a long time! I enjoy host chat, catching up on the news and hearing about new movies and tv shows.

I want LIVE! to stay on the air: I would like the show to be TWEEKED and improved. That’s all. Long-time viewer making constructive comments.

8. charlie says:

Uh…no. I would really love to see Anderson get the job. I’d definitely start DVRing it again.

9. Leanne says:

wont be Anderson Cooper. He would never be second to a big ego DIVA. Neither would Jeff Probst. He is to nice of a person. Wonder when her contract ends. ABC has some issues to deal with. Good luck

• HAP says:

Go tell Kathy Griffin that Anderson would never play second to a big ego DIVA!

• S Hollingsworth says:

Kelly just got a Raise (on top of her already inflated $20,000,000 dollar salary per year) Kelly’s not going anywhere, Ca-Chiiing!!!)

10. Jan says:

I think Fred Savage is great.

11. Trudy Glackin says:

My vote, based on this clip, would be for Michael Urie …

12. Mary says:

I can see still a lot of envious people who only post negative remarks about someone they don’t know. I am not sure about Gordon. By the sounds of it he is trying to make a name for himself in the entertaining industry and it might be the same scenario as Michael, will move on quickly once he takes off. They have all summer so I hope they test quite a few and hopefully some new ones that haven’t hosted at all.

13. Rosemary says:

Seriously? Jeff Gordon is such a stiff on camera.

14. Jennifer says:

Um no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find this rumor to be very odd since Jeff Gordon has not co-hosted with Kelly in a very long time. If he was really being considered wouldn’t they try him out. Of the ones I’ve seen I love Neil Patrick Harris, Josh Groban and Anderson Cooper. Of the ones she has been with lately I really liked Fred Savage and Jerry O’Connell. They really need to see who the fans like.

15. rick says:

Terrible idea. Too wooden…and uncomfortable around topics/people he can’t relate to. Need someone a little more worldly.

16. Max says:

Fred Savage or Jerry O’Connell?

17. Judy G says:

Prefer Jerry O ‘Connell since he is the funniest and best looking and, well, just love him!!!!!!

18. Eric says:

I still want Chris Gethard to get it.

19. Cheryl McKinney says:

Jeff would be a great choice! I watch racing every week and hes witty and entertaining.

20. Anne Normandin says:

Ugh! You’ve got to be kidding me.

21. Lisa Clark says:

Jeff Gordon is way too stiff have you ever heard call the races he’s not very good get someone with personality they Need to look for someone to play off Kelly I still think Anderson Cooper is a perfect cohost

22. Renee Lauck says:

I loved loved loved Kelly and Michael. Now, not going to watch again. ABC screwed up. Jeff Gordon? Not a chance…..

23. Marguerite says:

Jeff Gordon would be a outstanding choice. I suggested him from he beginning.
    I can not say enough about Jeff he has my vote..

24. S Hollingsworth says:

Not Jeff, but: Jerry O’Connell – rocked it!

25. Ammie Hansford says:

Get rid of Kelly. Jeff is awesome!!

26. Nelson Muntz says:

Alec Baldwin would be awesome

27. tricitysteel says:

Fred Savage needs to tone it down, too manic for me. Of the co-hosts so far, I liked D.L. Hughley , Joel McHale, and Jerry O’Connell.

28. Dorothy says:

I would Love to see Jeff Gordon every day , five days with Kelly Ripa would be so Wonderful! Jeff is Intelligent,witty,funny and speaks using correct grammar. Kelly needs to practice eliminating the word “Like ” in her many sentences. Such as He was like going with me like to dinner,etc. Kelly has mentioned her daughter and mimicked her in this problem so much that now she has lost some brain cells when speaking. I enjoy her ,but become annoyed when she slips into this ignorant way of speaking. Kelly needs to stop her daughter with this horrible habit,discipline is needed now,otherwise Lola will lose many opportunities in life.

• S Hollingsworth says:

I agree, very annoying – ‘Like I said,’ ‘LIKE,’ like…(ugh!) So sophomoric!

Also, Kelly over-uses the phrase: ‘it’s so funny!’ Usually, Kelly says ‘it’s so funny – when she’s trying to interject herself into the interview, ANNOYING!’

29. ann says:

Fred savage or nobody

30. David says:

Jussie Smollett would be top of my list. He is funny, gay, and very appealing. Had fun on show and Kelly looked happy too. If strahan could juggle fox And ABC, Smollett should be a pro at it too!

Otherwise … TJ Holmes from ABC news would be fun too.

31. Mary Moller says:

Jeff Gordon would be fabulous as a co-host with Kelly. He is not only good looking, but also well-spoken, polite, intelligent, and has a great sense of humor. If the producers heard him
    announce the races on FS1, they would know what a great announcer he is. I hope he hasn’t sold his New York apartment. Vote for Jeff!

32. Lou says:

Jeff has gotten much better in front of the camera since he has been on the Fox NASCAR telecasts. He has a good sense of humor and won’t try to steal the spotlight from Kelly. I think he would be a good choice.

33. Julie Lamb says:

I like Jeff! Live with Jeff and Kelly! sounds good to me!

34. Robin says:

Anderson Cooper is better then the NASCAR guy!

• S Hollingsworth says:

Disagree: Anderson is a great reporter and a great friend with Kelly – too boring, too familiar with each other. Prefer: Jerry O’Connell!

35. Becky Sullivan says:

I’ve only seen the show a few times since Regis left. However, I would definitely watch Jeff Gordon. Been a fan for over 20 years. Jeff is really a funny guy & fun to watch on TV.

36. Pam Franks says:

Jeff Gordon definitely the best man for the job. Me and my friends and family will start watching again religiously.

37. I think they should put kelly with Jeff gordon full time. I think they would make a great pair together. It would make the show even better. I would watch it everyday.

38. SherryB says:

Better idea…Cancel the whole useless waste of airtime and be done with it..Ripa is SOOOOO annoying.

39. Don’t bother! He left me flat. I still like Fred Savage the best.

40. Sherry says:

Jeff would be awesome! He would bring a sports appeal that most viewers would appreciate. Instead, of the silly same ‘ole stupid boring segments that are really old. Jeff has a great personality too! I would definitely start watching again.

41. People that think Jeff Gordon is boring DO NOT KNOW JEFF GORDON He is witty, funny, Sexy and very hot!!!!!! Every day what more could you want !!!

42. If you are a female Jeff Gordon is your man! He is very smart and knows what to say, very handsome too!!!!! Single or married, you will love Jeff Gordon!!!!

43. Casandra Candelaria says:

If Jeff Gordon was co-host, I’d watch everyday!!!

44. Dell Kemp says:

Would love to see Jeff and Kellt together again😍 I watch the show every day and I like Anderson but heis a little boring!!

45. Teresa Stauffer says:

Jeff Gordon is my drive i would be at the show every day ! 💖💖💖💖💖sta

46. Tom says:

That would mean the show would have two gals. LOL

47. Kpweaver says:

I look forward to watching Live with Kelly every day. There are a few of the co-host tryouts who I would enjoy watching along side Kelly. I do enjoy the lighter side of her show, the interviews, physical fitness segments as well as the random morning monolog. I was happy for Kelly when they stopped throwing the balls at her. Maybe before the show to warm up the audience. I find Kelly to be sincere and extremely funny. If you don’t have something kind to say or don’t enjoy the show there is a channel changer. MS, can still be seen on ABC as well as Fox Sports.

48. Kenneth Raglind says: