Fall TV Preview
Supergirl Cast Superman Hoechlin

Supergirl Casts Superman: Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin to Play Man of Steel

Supergirl has found its Superman in Teen Wolf alum Tyler Hoechlin — AKA one of TVLine’s 10 picks to take on the iconic hero.

Hoechlin will guest-star in the first two episodes of Supergirl Season 2, which will air this fall on The CW (Mondays at 8/7c, same as its CBS slot). Having been spotted in occasional, obstructed Season 1 glimpses, Superman will for the first time be seen in full visiting his cousin Kara (played by Melissa Benoist) in National City.

“[Executive producer] Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman,” Supergirl showrunner Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character.”

Superman/Kal-El/Clark Kent of course is currently being portrayed in the DCU films by Henry Cavill, who succeeded previous silver-screen Supes Brandon Routh (now Legends of Tomorrow‘s Ray Palmer/The Atom) and Christopher Reeve. On live-action TV, the Man of Steel previously has been played by George Reeves, Dean Cain (now Supergirl‘s Jeremiah Danvers) and Smallville‘s Tom Welling.

In addition to his turn as Teen Wolf alpha Derek Hale, Hoechlin’s previous TV credits also include 7th Heaven, Lincoln Heights and appearances on Castle, My Boys and CSI: Miami.

What do you think of Hoechlin’s casting? Would you say it’s… really good?

1. Max says:

YES! I approve this casting.

2. abz says:

Wish it were Matt Bomer.

3. Rachel Maurer says:

am i the only one who has trouble seeing actors in such different rolls like this within t.v. shows — will I be able to NOT see him as a werewolf?

• Mary says:

Sometimes. But a really good actor can make you forget about the other characters they’ve played as you’re watching them in a new role.

• lechatnoir says:

It depends though. Hoechlin is a decent actor but he has as much range as colton Haynes. He is going to rely on special effects and surrounding to make this ok and hopefully it’ll work.very few actors improve their acting game.we know he looks pretty. Matt bomer would have fantastic but perhaps his acting chops are too superior compared to the rest of cw actors

4. GraceM says:

I like it! Now let’s see how he holds up to playing a famous role.

5. Cris says:

Yes!!!!!! He’s perfect yay i’m so happy

6. wrstlgirl says:

Love!!!

7. SassyAF28 says:

whoa wow i wanted tom welling, but i’ll take this i hope supergirl treats him better than teen wold ever did

8. sammy says:

No!!! Tom Welling should have been cast… we r on a dofferent earth with supergirl so why not???!??? Oh Well.

• Patrick says:

Conservatively, it would have cost 1.5 million, per ep, for Welling to do this. Further, I’m not sure he’d have done it for any amount.
      He recently got divorced. Anything he earns post separation is not subject to community property/equitable distrubtion. However, his former wife’s attorney would argue, and successfully IMO, that Superman is a continuation of the role he played during the marriage, and as such, any money he earned doing that would be subject to community property and equitable division. So, again, at least 1.5m per ep to be worth his while (cause he’d only get half to three-fourths of that, before taxes). Depending on how nice the divorce was, I’m not sure how eager he’d have been to do a role that contributed a lot of money to his ex.

9. Scott21 says:

I dont watch the show but I want to see him in the suit :) Yummy

10. steven says:

Martin Brewer returns to the CW.

11. Phun says:

Hoping it was Matt Bomer but I’m fine with Tyler! Congratulations to Tyler for getting the role!

12. Summer says:

So….Superman is younger than James Olsen and Lucy Lane?

• Dysturbed says:

No because Tyler Hoechlin being younger than Jenna Dewan Tatum and Mechad Brooks has no bearing on the fact that Superman is older than Lucy Lane and James Olsen. As you know it’s common for actors to play characters who are older or younger than they actually are. Plus, from what some people have said, Kryptonians age more slowly than humans which would mean that he can believably be in his mid 30s yet look like he’s in his late 20’s.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Estelle Getty played Bea Arthur’s mother, even though she was two months younger. Actors, one might say, are paid to be things they are not.

13. Kate Garner says:

Um, yes please. Those eyes and that smile. Between him, and Henry Cavill on the big screen, we’ve nailed Superman hotness.

14. Luis says:

He certainly looks the part.

15. Jeff hunter says:

I like it,I remember him from 7th Heaven and Road to Partition as well if DC is lifting their embargos on certain characters then this puts him out of the running for any Bat characters like Tim Drake or Jason Todd love this!jeff

16. Joey Padron says:

I wish Matt Boomer got the role. I think Tyler will do good as new superman on the show.

17. Andrew says:

Big Smallville fan here. Haven’t watched this, but will tune in just to see Superman/Clark Kent. Would’ve been cool if it had been Tom Welling, but Hoechlin was my #2 choice out of TVLine’s nominees.

18. Thici Diniz says:

Well done! Tyler is AMAZING!

19. I wanted to wish Tyler Hoechlin all the luck in the world as Superman/Clark Kent. I still hope that he will make more than two appear.

20. Theresa says:

So why are they casting such a young Superman? Clark should have been almost 40 at this time. Are they trying to tell us Full blooded Kryptonian age differently than Normal Humans?

• sarah t says:

They’re probably casting a younger one in case A) Superman should happen to get his own show (again). They would probably do somewhat of an origin story (I’m guessing on this). B) Also, it’s totally possible that Superman does age differently just because he is, well, SUPER so maybe that slows his cell turnover or something.

• sarah t says:

Also, it’s possible that if they don’t give Supes his own show on the CW (since they’ve kind of already done that with Smallville) that he’ll jump around occasionally between Supergirl, LoT, Arrow and Flash.

• BenM says:

Superman doesn’t age the same as humans. He lives to be centuries old.

• clintbrew says:

it the same with kara she ages until adulthood then she and clark age slowly than others it in the comics and an episode of lois and clark where clark worries about ageing slower than lois

21. LOL, a little sad it’s not Brett Dalton but I love Hoechlin so I’m still excited and happy anyway!

• Goldenvibefan says:

As much as Brett would’ve been an awesome choice, it was never gonna happen I feel. He’s linked with marvel, and I doubt marvel would let him do a dc project. But I’m sure Tyler will do a good job as supes :)

22. Vince says:

WTF? He doesn’t fit the goody-two shoes kind of guy. Grant Gustin & Amell are taller than him.

• sarah t says:

Not taller by much, only 2 inches and 1 inch taller respectively and it’s not as if he’s short. I think that might throw it “off” more than anything is that Jimmy Olsen is actually 3 inches taller than him (if we’re going by height).

• Gerri says:

Ya I am sure Jimmy and him will have at least one scene together. Maybe he can stand on a box. It is odd that he is that young. I feel bad for Kevin Caliber. He is the actor whose image is used in the credits. And he could pull it off easily, but I guess they wanted someone with a fan base already. Give him blue contacts and make sure he shaves!!!! Then I think it’ll be okay.

• star says:

Tyler is 6 feet tall Stephen is 6.06 feet tall and Grant is 6.1 feet, are you going to complain about .06 of an inch now? Come on!! Tyler is a great actor. Give him a chance, just like we gave Supergirl a chance! Tom Welling will always be The CW’s Superman not one is saying otherwise, well I am not. He will be great!!

• Phobe Grey says:

Your point? Tyler is the same height as Henry Cavil 1.85m. Watch him in something other than the idiotic Teen Wolf and he always plays the ‘good guy’.

23. Mike R. says:

This is a realistic good casting choice. Matt Bomer was really never a realistic option…

• Mike R. says:

With that said, hopefully better writing will help his acting abilities, but he’s on par with most of the CW

24. Rebecca says:

Matt Bomer, if he was even ever considered….. Will probably be too busy filming his Amazon series. At least, that would be my guess.

25. J says:

Boo…I am biased and don’t care who they cast if it wasn’t Tom Welling.

26. Oscar the Oddity says:

I’m guessing this means he’s going to have to shave. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I wish him congratulations on the achievement though. Let’s hope he does so well that they ask him back repeatedly.

I’m also wondering if they’ll show him in in a suit and tie or if he’ll be in the Superman outfit. Hopefully both!

27. BB says:

No offense to him, because I have enjoyed him in his other roles, but I was hoping they would go with an older actor. Clark is supposed to have been on Earth a lot longer than Kara, so him being around the same age group is kind of odd.

28. Drew says:

I was really rooting for Chris Wood, but I’m not unhappy with Tyler Hoechlin donning a cape.
    Anyone remember an early season of Teen Wolf where he had to put on one of Styles’ shirts? A very tight shirt? Yup…. Tyler can do tight clothing very well. :)
    Not sure if links are allowed, so do a Google search for tyler+hoechlin+teen+wolf+tight+shirt and you won’t be disappointed. :) :)

29. angelstorm says:

Nah – I think they should have gone with Tom Welling . . .

30. Nicole says:

Im so happy for Hoechlin. He got horrible story lines and little to no screen time at the end of Teen Wolf. In excited to see what he can do with better story lines and scripts

31. Arianna says:

Love him but I can’t help but think “You left Teen Wolf for THIS?”

32. BenM says:

This is such a vain thing to get hung up on, but I think he should be taller. Especially since Jimmy is a giant on this show. I like the dude from back when I actually liked Teen Wolf. I just don’t think I like him here. Hopefully he can surprise me though.

33. Jared says:

Tyler is the PERFECT choice to play Superman. I approve..lol

34. ZinniQ says:

I am so very pleased. I was gutted when he left Teen Wolf, now I know why. It will be great to see this handsome guy again!

35. I don’t even know this guy, but I don’t have a problem with him being cast as Superman/Clark Kent. It’s about time. The way Supergirl showed glimpses of Superman was weird and ridiculous. A foot, a leg, or the back of his head? Ugh. Good to see Supes will actually be in scenes.

I knew all along Tom Welling was not going to be cast. He probably had enough of Superman after 10 years of Smallville. Welling’s net worth is 12 million dollars. He doesn’t have to take a job if he doesn’t want to.

36. Dee says:

Th-u-u-u-u-d!

37. Cheryl says:

Love, love, love him and this pick for Superman!

38. Larc says:

Excellent choice!

39. e. says:

Would have liked Tom Welling for the connection but Hoechlin will be fantastic.

40. JM says:

Wish I could see a pic without the gnarly beard. I am not at all familiar with this actor so I will reserve judgment.

By the way, I am not fond of this vastly different Jimmy Olsen character nor his ick-factor relationship with Supergirl. I love Callista Flockhart’s “Perry White” though.

• Bad Samaritan says:

[DELETED]

• Drew says:

You don’t like tall people dating someone not as tall?
        You don’t like men dating women?
        You don’t like humans dating aliens?
        You don’t like photojournalists dating executive assistants?
        If it’s none of the above, I can’t think of any rational reason for you to think their relationship is icky.

41. Sabrina says:

He seems a bit too young for the character because in the first season it was established that he was already Superman when Kara first comes to Earth. However this is the CW so he seems like perfect casting as it was highly unlikely that Tom Welling was asked considering Berlanti & co seem to think they are solely responsible for the popularity of comic book shows.

42. George H. says:

Holy crap, it’s the kid from Road to Perdition all grown up. He was great in that movie. Was wondering what happened to him. I’m sure he will do well as Superman.

43. Anne says:

That is SUCH a great idea. Dear god he’s beautiful.

44. lee says:

I don’t know how I feel about this yet…

45. Mark says:

Great now Superman has been cast who is his Lois Lane — now that should be fun considering the hate between Cat Co and the Planet. Which has already been mentioned a few times, plus the sister issues.

46. Marybeth says:

This is not right They should have cast Tom Welling for Superman on Supergirl. It is not fair Tom deserved that part. No one will be watching this Supergirl anymore they thought the ratings were bad last year it will be worse this year without Tom Welling

• Sayuri_x says:

Yeah, I think they probably just doubled thier ratings (at least for the first two episodes). I never looked at Supergirl but I will watch for Hoechlin. He has his own fan base. I’m sorry your prefered choice didn’t get it but make no mistake, genius move on the EP’s part.

• Ashbash says:

Maybe Tom Welling didn’t want to play Superman. He’s been asked before to reprise his role as superman and has repeatedly turned it down. He’s even done interviews saying this. As much as I or any of us would have liked Tom Welling to be cast as superman if the actor has no interest then we can’t fault the casting directors for casting someone else

47. JC1 says:

I have conflicted feelings about this. I like Tyler, and I think he’ll make a good Superman (Tom Welling or Matt Bomer was never going to happen). But I kind of wish that he’d been cast in the Steel role over on Legends instead, instead of what looks like what is going to be a pretty small role here.

48. It’s a good decision. He does have the look. He may be a little young, but writing and acting can certainly deal with that.

49. Beth says:

Not sure what to think about this. He is certainly not a great actor. The only thing he has going on for him is his looks. His looks and his connections to Colton Haynes (Berlanti’s darling) and Supergirl Melissa Benoit’s husband must have gotten him the role.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Come on, surely you have a fourth theory…?

• Beth says:

Actually I only had one theory. That he wasn’t cast because of his talent ;-)
        The CW loves good-looking actors and would never cast someone as Superman who didn’t have good looks. So that was obviously a must for the role and I’m sure noone auditioned that wasn’t good-looking.
        But being best friends with the husband of the main actress and best friends with an actor Berlanti loves certainly gave him a huge advantage. I doubt that he even had to audition tbh.

• LOL. I kinda love you right now.