Fall TV Preview
Arrow Josh Segarra

Arrow Casts Series Regular Role of DC Vigilante Adrian Chase in Season 5

There’s an upside to getting killed off on Chicago P.D.

Arrow has tapped Josh Segarra — who recurred on the NBC drama as Justin Voight before meeting his demise in last month’s finale — to play the series-regular role of Star City’s new district attorney, Adrian Chase, our sister site Deadline reports.

The character serves as an ally to Mayor Oliver Queen and aims to clean up the streets through the legal system.

As TVLine first reported, Chase is described as an “irrepressibly charming” contemporary of Oliver’s and “a man on a mission” — out as he is to avenge a tragic, violent loss from his own, years-ago past. He is someone who could “just as easily shake your hand as your best friend or break your neck as your worst enemy — and you never know which one is coming. Either way, he’s more than capable of having a good time as he does it.”

In the DC Comics canon, Chase was a New York City D.A. whose family was killed by mobsters, prompting him to seek justice in his own way under the name Vigilante. He also had strong ties to Deathstroke, who is portrayed by Manu Bennett on the CW series.

Other Season 5 additions include Rick Gonzalez (Reaper) as the vigilante Wild Dog and a yet-to-be-cast ruthless crime lord loosely inspired by Idris Elba’s Wire drug kingpin Stringer Bell.

Arrow returns to The CW this fall, airing Wednesdays at 8/7c.

1. NM says:

Sorry to cry a black canary call here, but going into a fifth season and having use for an ADA character sucks. I get it’s just a role to flesh out the character but I feel with Oliver being Mayor that this would have been a great opportunity to connect him with Laurel in a professional matter. Drives me nuts knowing the showrunners destroyed so much potential here.

• Yessenia says:

Spoiler alert

• Lizzie says:

That’s not a spoiler when it’s not gonna happen. Laurel is dead.

• NM says:

Which was the worst decision ever. The Quentin-Laurel dynamic was my favourite.

• Lizzie says:

To each their own. I was bored by the Quentin/Laurel stuff as it was the same thing for four seasons. I was ready for a change. I’m kinda interested to see how they handle Quentin without Laurel now but also kinda dreading it because I don’t really like Quentin/Donna together. I could do without that.

• dragon2heart says:

Laurel ran out of potential – that’s why they killed her off.

• Ben says:

I think probably the place of most potential that they didn’t get to explore with Laurel was her being full DA. The brief time we got with it with Dhark on trial was interesting. But, ultimately, the show has plenty of potential without Laurel too, and it did spend most of its four years shoehorning her in.
      The worst part is the place it has left Quentin, with both his daughters gone. He is a really good character but it’s hard to see how he will be useful in the next season.
      Also, as much as I like John Barrowman, Malcolm Merlin has played out, and I think they need to find a way to write him out.

• NM says:

Malcolm needs to die and I wish Thea to be the one to put him in that grave.

• Lex says:

He needs to go away and only come back as a shocking twist in the last five episodes of the series. Maybe we even get to see a resurrected, brainwashed Tommy fighting with his dad, but his connection to Oliver and knowledge that Thea’s his sister has him switch sides and fight with the good guys. Give him a tearful scene at Laurel’s grave, and then have him fight with Oliver to avenge her death– something orchestrated by his dad.
          Because Tommy got screwed over in Laurel’s last episodes. Oliver and Laurel cuddling and talking about “the future” when Tommy’s barely cold in the ground? No, thank you. I was thrown by the Oliver-is-the-love-of-Laurel’s-life thing, but that flashback was even worse– and sad because we were seeing Katie giving some of her best work.
          But yeah. We need a break from Malcolm.

• Lex says:

Laurel was always best in the courtroom, sassing the bad guys with her rapid legal-ese arguments. I once read something that said “we would like Laurel more if she weren’t the Black Canary, but if she wasn’t supposed to be the Black Canary she would have died back in season 2.”
        I personally think the show should have focused more on Laurel the DA than trying to push her as the Second Coming of Sara. In everything but name Sara embodied the Black Canary, and there remained an unspoken comparison between the two that always left Laurel as being the lesser Canary. Her legal knowledge was unique among the characters; building upon “trial of the century” tropes and making her Team Arrow’s ally in legal matters. That could have been her big contribution of the show, but making her the Black Canary with such a poorly concocted origin arc detracted from her brilliance as a lawyer.
        I never really liked Laurel, she never “clicked” with me, but I am going to be sad to see some kind of Green Arrow/District Attorney alliance in season 5, because that’s where Laurel would have really shined. Instead, we got two seasons of an unremarkable Black Canary, a half season of Ollie and Laurel being best buddies when the toxic foundation of their relationship really made that impossible in any real world perspective, and an underwhelming death.
        Katie wasn’t meant to play the heroine, she’s a total Head Bitch in Charge. That’s what I always saw in Lawyer!Laurel. Having her know Oliver’s the Green Arrow and being his ally in the courtroom would have been a realistic continuation of their relationship. They were allies– not exactly friends– and maybe if Felicity was the liaison between the two like she’d been with Lance in the early seasons, their friendship could have come from a much more natural place because it was about the two of them, without Oliver needing to be the main connection.
        I’m now imagining a season 3 where Laurel contributed with her Lawyer powers… taking Thea under her wing woman-to-woman instead of as kicky punchy teammates with poor stunt coordination… my Laurel theme song is always going to be “Rolling in the Deep,” because we could have had it aaaaaalll… instead, the writers found themselves in a corner created of their own stupidity, where Laurel no longer had a thematic purpose because Felicity became the love interest and Sara was the Battle Buddy– both functions of Dinah Laurel Lance/Black Canary covered, with Laurel remaining out of tune with the rest of the show.
        Sigh.
        I’m going to listen to Adele and write fan fiction where Laurel’s superpower was being a badass lawyer.

• glenda says:

They throw every comic character in DC universe, not relevant; on a show based on The Green Arrow—but they lecture any fan familiar with stories the show, characters, et al are based on–when the loyal built-in audience they count on for ratings–asks:
      why did the writers/producers destroy the iconic “Dinah Laurel Lance/Black Canary” character with first: a scattered, non-continuous, poorly structured story, and 2nd: murdering the character–just as she peripherally started to become somewhat close to the actual multi-dimensional canon character of lore? It’s demeaning to entire concept/genre.
      And this show has done no favors to the character, Oliver Queen/Hood-Billionaire-Arrow-Green Arrow. He’s now a misanthrope introvert, redeemed by numerous affairs and back-flashes turned politician? No.
      I loathe no character—this is fictional fiction, people. But, to discard the Black Canary –never look back, mocking her potential they squandered–but still draw characters from the history and maintain hope the program will produce/ expect great entertainment??
      That is #unreal #farce/satire! And people are free to enjoy whatever floats their boat, as others are free to express irony and dismay.
      Note: This is not ‘anti’ anything or anyone–just Pro-would appreciate truer to canon’ dramatizations for tv entertainment! You do you..I’ll do me. Can’t we all just get along? /s

2. Tony Lang says:

DUDE! Spoilers!!! Not everybody is caught-up on PD!

3. Lizzie says:

Cool. So is this guy the big bad? Sounds like it. The cast is being overrun by male characters now though. I hope we see more of Lyla in season 5 to bring some balance.

• Josh says:

No the article says the Big Bad has yet to be cast

• Ben says:

It would be great for Lyla to be a series regular.

• Lizzie says:

MTE. I love Lyla and she was especially fantastic in season 4. I’d love to see her interact with Oliver a bit more because they have that ARGUS/Amanda Waller connection and have similar mindsets.

• RPP says:

It’s Adrian Chase – The Vigilante. DC’s version of The Punisher. He can be a big bad because… He kills people! I like this anti-hero. Hope they use him right. Now I have to see Arrow…

4. Demi says:

Yay! This is our James, really glad it is a PoC. I’m just hoping they don’t suit them all up and put them in Arrow cave, it’s crowded enough with the 4 people in there.

• Lizzie says:

This. There was too many masks when Laurel was on the team. I was hoping once they removed one it would help but they’re just adding more!

• Demi says:

I really hope they learn from the past seasons that too much mask ain’t good for the team. I also wish they go the route of finishing one story of big bad before telling the next not letting it all end up the way Darhk and Anarky did, they all don’t have to be tie together.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Cool, I like him.

6. Murica! says:

I have very low expectations for next season. The last two seasons have been really bad. I’m not impressed with what I’ve heard about the new season thus far. It sounds really boring.

7. amy says:

…………….didn’t the writers blame all of the court scenes with laurel falling short as one of the major reasons they killed her off? but now they’re just replacing her with a guy as DA instead?

• Demi says:

Nope, the writers never said that, Marc just said he thinks the court room scenes are phony. The major reason for her death is because she’s the character that doesn’t fit in, has come to the end of her journey and her death is that one that will affect Oliver but not necessarily break him.

• Lex says:

All the writers needed to do is keep Laurel around for her lawyers skills, and maybe binge watch The People vs. OJ to see how good courtroom scenes are written. Maybe Laurel stops playing vigilante, gets back to the lawyer-ing, works as an ally in season 5… give her the tough-as-nails-but-marshmallow-on-the-inside skills seen in Marcia Clark…. and we could have had it AAAAAAALLLL…
        But I agree, the writers really had no choice but to get rid of Laurel becuase she served no thematic purpose in Oliver’s “hero’s journey” and it’s called Arrow, not Green Arrow & Black Canary. Oliver’s name is on the box, characters are created to support his story. In season 2 we saw Sara be the perfect Canary and Felicity became the clear love interest, or Dinah Lance side of the character, and Laurel didn’t have anything to do but be shoehorned in and be seen as lacking in comparison to Sara.
        I have very little patience left for Guggenheim. People dismiss fan fiction all the time, but at least those writers build upon the characters seen and take them in directions that don’t make you go WTF for entire seasons.

• Murica! says:

The court scenes were horrible. She was terrible in them.

8. Wordsmith says:

So, is this going to be like when they made Harvey Dent a series regular on Gotham, and then used him in literally only one or two episodes?

9. anontvxpert says:

So this must mean that Josh’s contract is up with the musical “ON YOUR FEET!” Jukebox musicals don’t tend to last long (minus “SMOKEY JOE’S CAFE”)

• Renata says:

Jukebox musicals don’t tend to last long? Jersey Boys has been on Broadway for 11 years; Mamma Mia was there for 14. Anyway, the standard Broadway contract is 1 year, but it’s not unusual for actors who get TV jobs to leave before their contracts are up, so they must have some sort of out clause.

10. Drew says:

Josh Segarra was great as Billy on the underrated and so-missed (by me) USA series, Sirens. Really looking forward to what he’ll bring to Arrow.

11. Ash says:

He was my favorite part of Sirens. He was hilarious on there. It’ll be interesting to see him in a darker role.

12. John Davis says:

YES!!!!!!!! I LOVE HIM SINCE SIRENS (USA) <3

13. Carrie says:

They killed off one of the main female characters last season and now they’re filling the cast with more male regulars. I wish they’d at least add another female character to the show. Vixen would’ve been awesome.

14. Brent Castro says:

what if for next season they found a way of cloning Felicity and Oliver has to pick between the two? yes? no? maybe?

15. Dj says:

I figured Vigilante would be part of this season. The show has now added 2 vigs who are DC version of the Punisher. It would be interesting to see how Oliver plays off them, but he kills villains himself so not sure how that would work out. I can see Oliver blaming Wild Dog for killing criminals only for it to turn out to be the new DA

16. Joey Padron says:

Glad he got cast in the show. Think he’ll do good in show. Can’t wait to see who they cast to play new big bad villain of the new season.