Fall TV Preview
Arrow Rick Gonzalez

Arrow Casts Reaper Alum as New Season 5 Vigilante Wild Dog

Team Arrow is taking in a new member.

Reaper alum Rick Gonzalez will recur on Season 5 of the CW series as the DC Comics character Wild Dog, EW.com reports.

As TVLine first told you, the newbie is a cocksure ex-Marine turned vigilante. His reckless nature prompts the Green Arrow to take him under his wing.

The new season will also introduce Oliver’s yet-to-be-cast unpredictable/”charming” new adversary and a ruthless crime lord loosely inspired by Idris Elba’s Wire drug kingpin Stringer Bell.

Gonzalez — whose TV credits also include Mr. Robot and Rush — makes his debut in the season premiere, airing this fall.

1. Mike says:

Are we sure Queen Felicity will give Oliver permission to go out and train this guy?

2. Shaun says:

Eh….to replace Canary?

3. Jerry says:

This makes me miss Reaper.. a show ahead of it’s time. I’d love a Netflix revival

4. David4 says:

He was great on Reaper!

5. Murica! says:

He was funny on reaper. I can’t picture him as a ex-marine or as a threat to arrow.

6. Lisa says:

As long he doesn’t in a love triangle with Olicity

7. Joey Padron says:

Good news he’ll be on the show! He’s a good actor. Excited to see him in new season!

8. Dennis says:

Yay love him!!

9. Ella says:

I just can’t seem to care after Black Canary’s death.

10. Dj says:

When I first heard this news I really disliked the whole premise. But looking at it again if it plays out with Oliver taking Wild Dog under his wing while Diggle and Thea arent working with him then I’m ok with this. But once they return I wouldn’t want him on the team. The show Suffered a lot in the stunts and fight scenes last season keep the team small to improve those scenes. I think the show only needs Diggle, Oliver and Thea when it comes to fighing heroes.

11. Jbj says:

I love Ricky! I haven’t seen any of his more recent work, but I am definitely intrigued by him playing a charming tough guy, after so many years of sexy goofball.

12. BeckyBoo says:

Is it me or is it sounding like the cast of Arrow season 5 is going to be rather male-heavy? There are only 2 female series cast members now, and all the new guest stars we’ve heard about so far are guys. This Wild Dog chap, the Wire-esque guy, ‘James’…that’s three new male cast members on top of an already heavily male skewed cast, it’s a bit odd..

• Ashley says:

Agreed — and it’s the same with Legends of Tomorrow. I’m all for writing out the Hawk people, but that leaves Sara as the only female. And they just announced another male character.

• BeckyBoo says:

Someone over on that thread made a great point about how Legends could really do with adding some women more diverse in age. Apart from Stein’s wife, I don’t think there is a single woman over 30 in Legends or Flash. Arrow has Donna, but she’s no Moira. Sigh. I miss Moira.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Gideon sounds 40-ish. So there’s that.

• kath says:

And Stein’s wife is on only occasionally. Twice this season I believe.

It feels like the Berlanti superhero shows started out more equitable but now have moved heavily into being male-oriented.
            Legends of Tomorrow has two female characters against six men;
            Arrow lost Laurel, leaving only Thea and Felicity and recurring Lyla, but added three (four with the new adversay) new men with Oliver, Diggle, Curtis, Quentin, and Malcolm all over 30.
            The Flash is the worst, with not just only two female characters but reducing them to basically being sword carriers or love interests for the six men.
            Yay for Supergirl where the most important relationships are still Kara/Alex and Kara/Cat.
            Too much testosterone makes superhero shows boring and repetitive. What is The Flash but Run, Barry, run?

13. Micahel says:

Not really liking this new rookie gang. Wild dog is especially annoying with his cocky attitude with not much to back it up. Preferred it when they had a tighter group with the occasional guest star. Why add a bunch of mediocre characters to the team?