Post Mortems
Wrecked Premiere

Wrecked Premiere: Find Out Why TBS' Lost Satire Killed Off Its 'Jack'

Well, now we know one major difference between Wrecked and Lost (aside from the whole comedy vs. drama thing).

In the first part of the TBS comedy’s two-episode premiere on Tuesday, James Scott’s leading-man Liam — aka the “Jack Shephard” of the group — was flattened to death by the doomed plane’s dangling nose section. And while exec producer Justin Shipley confirms to TVLine that Liam is definitely a goner, the scribe — who co-created the Lost-leaning sitcom with brother Jordan — reveals that he briefly toyed with staging a miraculous resurrection.

Wrecked“James is amazing — he is that guy — so there was a lot of talk about Liam maybe being just that strong that he could’ve somehow survived,” Justin says of the Days of Our Lives vet. “But, ultimately, his death forces everyone else to step up and fill that void. I think it’s for the best. From the very beginning it was always, ‘Let’s take the most capable man and just murder him.'”

Per Lost lore, co-creators J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof initially intended to kill off Matthew Fox’s Jack in the pilot, but ABC executives balked at the idea. Was Liam’s death a subtle nod to that piece of behind-the-scenes mythology? “It wasn’t,” Justin maintains. “I always knew that trivia, but I didn’t make the connection until after we had written the script.”

Adds Jordan with a laugh: “But if it makes us sound smarter, you can say it was!”

What did you think of Wrecked? Grade the two-part premiere below and then elaborate on your selection in the comments!

1. wrstlgirl says:

Damn I was so looking forward to seeing James Scott on TV again. Watching this brought back some great memories of Lost. I loved that show!!

2. lulu says:

I understand i understand, it is a ‘satire’ so all the incompetent ‘type of loser’ characters stay and the ‘tall dark awesome’ die..Hey it makes sense for a comedy/satire come on.. That being said James Scott deserve a leading role on a prime time tv show (a comedy once again would be good where he makes fun of his good looks..haha..ps : he deserve better than daytime soap operas that’s for sure..although his pairing with Ali Sweeney was awesome..the writing was bad despite their great talent and chemistry). So no hard feelings, i hope Wrecked get successful because it is fun, funny and the cast is great. And i hope James Scott will soon have a role (this time who last more than two episodes) on another great comedy !

• Denise N Charles says:

Sadly, James Scott did not appear in the second episode. It was a great disappointment to kill him off. I will only watch this show if James is in it.

• lulu says:

I know it is for this reason i said ‘more than two episodes’ actually i want him to have a regular gig on a good prime time tv show.
        GOT IT producers, showrunners and channels/networks ??! (he has a large fanbase, take advantage of it, guys ! Be smart.Ha.

But i also enjoy Wricked, and think it deserve a success even without James Scott in it, the rest of the cast is good and the writing/directing seem fun and funny to me.

• izzi says:

Was only watching for James Scott. Deleted the show off DVR now

• Karen Abidi says:

Thats how i feel. I only watched for him and couldnt believe they killed him off so quickly.

3. mooshki says:

That was dumb. They just lost a bunch of guaranteed viewers.

• lulu says:

I love James like i said and i really want him to get this time a long term gig on a good prime time serie but for Wrecked the concept was : all incompetent people in a island and his role was the opposite : the competent dream like hero..therefore he had to go..

• Ben says:

Possibly they did, but the way of subverting the Lost pilot actually made me decide I would check it out, so they might have gained some too.

• DP says:

You know it!

• Denise N Charles says:

So true!

4. Scott21 says:

Wow so the word spoiler doesnt mean a thinh anymore on tvline… its harder and harder reading the site :(

5. Deno says:

I was only gonna watch because of James. Too bummed to watch it now.

6. TW says:

James Scott was the only reason I was going to watch. Guess I don’t need to bother, now.

• Maria says:

Same here. Once it was clear the cute guy was gone, I changed the channel.

• c-mo says:

And people wonder why “unattractive” actors are not cast as leads…see the above comments! I hope you act differently IRL…SMH

• Laurie says:

Its not juat about looks james has a huge following from days of our lives viewers were looking forward to seeinf him again rhey lost a lot of viewers now

7. Novat says:

What the hell is going on with this is site recently? Spoilers seems to be a regular occurrence in titles and pictures while every time I visit the site or one of the articles I’m forced to wait for a blank screen to count down!
    I’m finding myself visiting less and less. Oh, and as someone who works in the SEO field, I can tell you now, Google will push you down in the rankings for making users wait to get information. Prepare to see organic traffic drop dramatically!

• dude says:

How many times do you have to be told, it’s not a spoiler after it airs. If you didn’t watch it live, that’s your fault. The world doesn’t have to shield you from shows that you didn’t care enough to watch live in the first place.

• Brock says:

You’re right. Everyone should stay at home and watch every show ever made so as not to be spoiled. How ridiculous. That’s not the world we live in any more. People watch shows on delay, this site has international readers or maybe there are people who didn’t even know about this show until after it aired and heard how good it was and want to watch it. It’s really not that hard for the site to simply use the word “twist” rather than say a main character died.

• Why would you read an article about an already aired episode of television that you haven’t seen???
          Of course there are spoilers!

• mooshki says:

The point is that you don’t have to click on the article to be spoiled. If you’re just scrolling through the list of articles, the spoiler is in the title. It doesn’t seem to be too much to ask that they put the spoilers under a cut.

• Jennifer says:

But … but … but, it was in ALL THE PROMOS. How could this be a “spoiler”??????

8. Amberger72 says:

James Scott was the only reason I was going to watch. Been looking forward to this since he left Days. Kinda feels like waking up Christmas morning to find out it’s been canceled. No interest in watching now….

9. Shaun says:

It’s not even that funny either.Like an island full of Michael Scotts and Dwight Shrutes.

• lulu says:

But it is actually what makes it funny ! After that, not everybody laugh at the same thing, like the same things ect..

• Marco says:

But that concept is going to get annoying presto if not done well. And I’m kind of worried ‘Wrecked’ won’t do it well.

10. lisa mosby says:

it was terrible. i only watched it to see James Scott. i’m done

11. Westlife says:

I had been looking forward to seeing James on my screen again for more than one episode Wrecked can get Lost now :)

12. Emily says:

Only was checking it out to see James Scott on t.v again. “Lost” this viewer

• James Scott would have added so much to this show. The contrast would have kept Wrecked from being another bunch of bumbling misfits that grow tiresome.
      I won’t be watching any more episodes.

13. Dan says:

Lol why are people so attached to some soap actor I’ve never heard of

• dude says:

Because his fans are crazy. They’re still obsessed with his soap character who can best be described as a murdering rapist.

• lulu says:

ugh lmao it seems you know so much about his ‘soap character’, it tells a lot about you… So to be clear some people are attached to this actor because he has a fanbase, duh ! Like many other popular actors, and his fanbase think he is talented and want to watch him in other projects..so crazy right ?
        ps: dude, i almost feel sorry for you being so judgmental towards an actor and his fans..maybe it is time to get a life ??

• Westlife says:

Supporting an actor who was wasted on a soap does not qualify as crazy. And his portrayal of his Days character was much more than a murdering rapists as you would like to describe it.

• Teresa Caralis says:

Because James Scott is an exceptional actor and many of us who knew him from a soap were really happy to be able to see him act again.

• Westlife says:

Dan don’t listen to that Dude below. James Scott is a real fine exceptional actor and his fans miss seeing him on my screen.

14. diane says:

Did not like the fact that Liam was killed off first episode

15. Missy Woodham says:

I am shocked that James Scott is killed off in the first episode! He boasted so much about the show on social media that you would’ve thought he was set to be a recurring character! He was the only reason I tuned in for the premiere. Not so sure I will continue watching :(

16. Ty says:

I found the show very funny. Not sure how so many people got so attached to a character that dies in the first episode. He died hilariously too

17. Amanda says:

I didn’t know what to expect going into this as a LOST fan but it was good. It does have some parody moments to LOST but to me it feels more like a modern day take on “Gilligan’s Island” especially since it’s a comedy and there’s no sci-fi like LOST had. I like the cast too and looking forward to how the rest of the season is.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

I like your thoughts about the show perhaps having a ‘Gilligan’s Island’ vibe to it. At least now, having unfortunately lost the ‘Lost’ character of Jack, I can at least begin to focus on trying to figure out who might be the ‘Gilligan’ character.

Every group of stranded people needs a ‘Gilligan’. :)

18. cej says:

They pretty much gave that away in the promos.

19. pau says:

I am kind of bummed they killed off this character but nevertheless this new show is funny !

20. emmyloser says:

I get the reasoning, but James Scott was literally the only reason I was watching the show. Don’t people know better than to scorn soap opera fans?

21. Britt Baumann says:

Only watched to see James Scott. Not enough left to keep me watching. Big mistake to kill him off.

22. Car says:

Add me to the scores who were only watching for James Scott. Boo.

23. Kitty says:

I was just watching for James Scott.

24. Pam Williams says:

The only reason I would watch this show is to look at James Scott with longing. Now that he’s been killed off, there’s no reason for me to watch.

25. Helen says:

Only reason to watch was for James Scott. Thanks for nothing.

26. Dora Salvatore says:

You killed the main reason (James Scott) I was watching the show.

27. Vicki says:

To kill off James Scott’s character Is wrong and stupid you just lost a lot of viewers because of that

28. Sue says:

No James Scott? No more watching for me.

29. Bill Eue 46036 says:

I won’t warch again. Only watched because of James Scott.

30. D. Dykstra says:

Being a James Scott fan and I think you will find out he has a large fan base, I was very dissappointed to see him killed off on the first episode. It had been a long time now, since it was announced that James had been hired for a new series “Wrecked” and finally the premier of the show. We fans had been anticipating seeing him on our TV screens once again, only to be bloody let down. I myself am feeling sort of misled.

• uncleruckus90 says:

Agree 100%. I was looking forward to this and it was like FINALLY and then he’s killed off? I feel really cheated and will not be watching-it’s not interesting enough for me to watch without James in it.

31. Mary Skow says:

I will not watch Wrecked after seeing the pathetic first episode! First of all, I don’t care how hard they try to make a comedy out of a make belief tragedy, speaking for myself, I simply cannot laugh that much about seeing dead bodies lying around. I know it’s a satire, but certain areas like a plane crash shouldn’t be exploited in this way. There are too many people in the real world who have lost loved ones in plane crashes and I think the whole idea for this show is disrespectful. Gilligan’s Island was fun–this show is not. The only reason I tuned in to watch the first episode was to see James Scott. I couldn’t believe he was killed off that quick. However, I’m really glad he is not going to be on it anymore, because I would have a hard time watching this gross nonsense just to see him for a brief moment or two. There is a terrible shortage of good writers! If this is the best that today’s writers can come up with, then we will have many years of disappointments in the entertainment field.

32. Asdf says:

Sad to see James Scott die on first episode. Probable will not continue to watch :(

33. Anna says:

Extremely upset James killed off. Very stupid decision.

34. Maggie says:

I was disappointed that James Scott’s character was killed off. He was the only reason I planned on watching the show. Now it’s just a crew of lame characters we’ve all seen before. No more DVR recording this show for me and all “Days” fans who were looking forward to watching this talented actor again.

35. DP says:

James Scott was the ONLY reason I was going to watch.

36. Teresa Caralis says:

You killed of James Scott aka Liam. Stupid move…goodbye.

37. Denise N Charles says:

Bring back Liam (James Scott)!
    He is the sole reason as to why I would watch this show!

38. Vicki mcKee says:

The show canned the reason I was planning on watching this show. Will not be watching now.

39. Lisa says:

Should have not killed off James Scott. Only reason we watched

40. Liz McGreevy says:

Very disappointed!! I Love James Scott and have been looking forward to seeing him on here since he left DOOL. :(

41. Stacie Wienecke says:

The one & only reason I watched was because of James Scott. I just deleted Wrecked off my DVR.

42. Lynn Sims says:

It was great seeing James again, for a nanosecond!!!!! I thought he was going to be a regular. He was the reason I was going to watch. Killing him off in the FIRST episode? Totally “wrecked” my week! :(

43. This show was awesome. I’m glad they killed off the hot guy because I would not have been able to focus on the jokes. I need more of this show NOW. Can’t wait to see Rousseau and Ben with his others XD

44. shan says:

I only watched this show because of James Scott, can’t believe they killed him off after
    the 1st episode. No need to watch any more episodes.

45. nancy says:

was looking forward to seeing more of James scott..that may have been a mistake killing him off

46. Ariana Say says:

I was a big fan of James Scott’s character of EJ Dimera on Days of Our Lives and I wasn’t a LOST fan so I was looking forward to this spoof. When you killed James’s character in the 1st episode, I completely lost interest. I hope the show does well for you but I won’t be watching.

47. Laure says:

Would have but u got rid of James Scott so no longer interested!!!!!

48. Emily says:

Yeah, they lost me when they squished Liam. :( I came for James Scott, but the rest of it wasn’t good enough to keep me after they killed him off.

49. uncleruckus90 says:

I only planned to watch the show because James was in it. Once they killed him off and I didn’t see his name in the credits for the second episode, I didn’t bother watching. It will get cancelled soon-just wait and see.

50. Dawn berry says:

The only reason I tuned in was for James Scott! Very disappointed that he was killed off so soon, probably won’t continue watching.