Fall TV Preview
Timeless Lawsuit

Fall TV First Impression: Timeless

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including Kiefer Sutherland’s term as POTUS, Michael Weatherly’s NCIS follow-up and the story of MLB’s first female player. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

RELATED Get First Impressions of CBS’ Bull, ABC’s Notorious

THE SHOW | NBC’s Timeless (Mondays at 10/9c, premiere date TBA)

THE COMPETITION CBS’ Scorpion and ABC’s Conviction (new)

THE CAST | Abigail Spencer (Rectify), Matt Lanter (90210), Malcolm Barrett (Better Off Ted), Goran Visnjic (Extant), Paterson Joseph (Law & Order: UK), Sakina Jaffrey (House of Cards) and Claudia Doumit

THE SET-UP | One of several time-travel dramas bound for your living room this TV season, Timeless — from Eric Kripke (Revolution) and Shawn Ryan (The Shield) — sends a history professor (Spencer), a soldier (Lanter) and a scientist (Barrett) in pursuit of a criminal (Visnjic) who has stolen a state-of-the-art time machine for mysterious, surely nefarious purposes. Their first destination: May 1937, just in time for (what should be) the Hindenburg disaster.

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | Though the fast-moving pilot doesn’t spend much time with Visnjic’s Garcia Flynn, we instead get a very good sense of the heroes’ strengths (Lucy’s a walking encyclopedia) and weaknesses (tough guy Wyatt has a soft spot), plus just a hint of hidden agendas. Versus ABC’s midseason entry Time After Time (which adopts a wink-winkier, Sleepy Hollow feel) or The CW’s superhero-charged Legends of Tomorrow, Timeless makes clear that it will have some fun with the “butterfly effect” by assigning curious (and/or soul-crushing) consequences to the team’s actions.

Among the cast, Spencer imbues history geek Lucy with an infectious joy of discovery and fuss over details, while Barrett is a highly amusing assemblage of neuroses. Jaffrey, Joseph and Doumit populate the government agency for which the trio (begrudgingly) travel time.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Timeless is launching from a primo time slot that has bore the Peacock a series of freshman hits, from Revolution to The Blacklist to (the Wednesday-bound) Blindspot. Boasting a buzzy premise and exciting visuals, and with ABC’s stalwart Castle gone from the equation, the future looks promising — as well as thrilling — for this sci-fier. (Bonus points for having a great title logo.)

Watch a trailer for Timeless, then vote in our poll below.

1. Bella says:

So it’s basically an American remake of ‘El ministerio del tiempo’.

• More than remake, a rip off of the Spanish show “El Ministerio del Tiempo” including de skills and flaws of the main characters

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There is no entity resembling the Ministers of Time on this show. The government agency here may even be Homeland Security, I don’t exactly recall.

• Glenn Nelson says:

No, you’ve got that backwards. You see, the clever Americans sent a crew of writers into the past to create “El minsterio del tiempo’ so that they would not have to work too hard in the future. Thus the first series is really a rip-off from the later one.

• Schpamm says:

NO, This is a remake of Seven Days mixed with Quantum Leap.
      Your Spanish Ministerio del tiemp was also taken directly from the American Seven Days.
      Though Seven Days was also inspired by earlier US and UK programs.

2. HAP says:

I love Abigail Spencer. CBS is moving Scorpion to 10?

3. Lucky says:

Looks interesting. Unfortunately, it is going up against Conviction, which is my most anticipated new show thanks to Hayley Atwell, so I won’t be watching this live. But I’ll likely stream it somewhere and give it a chance. I’ve been a fan of Matt Lanter since his 90210 days.

• Ally Oop says:

I never watched 90210 but he was great in Star-Crossed, a show I really liked. I’m hoping this show won’t disappoint me because I’m excited to watch.

4. Kevin K says:

WATCH IT. This is the one new show I’m really excited about. This should be a great series and it might become one of the breakout hits for NBC. Also, I was impressed by the creative duo of Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan.

5. Larc says:

Sounds interesting. I watched NCIS: LA on CBS in that time slot last season and don’t care anything about Scorpion that replaces it, so plan to watch Timeless.

6. Ally Oop says:

Of the 4 new time traveler dramas set to debut this upcoming season, this one looks the best to me.

7. Lindsey says:

I recognize Abigail Spencer from Suits. I liked her as an actress but didn’t care for the character. Fingers crossed that I’ll be more fond of her Timeless character.

8. I was mostly going to watch because Matt Lanter is so easy on the eyes but the trailer looks pretty good as well. Plus, it looks to have the ideal timeslot for that network so it’s not DOA like last year’s “The Player”.

9. darkangel200 says:

Have seen this time travel theme in so many shows recently, but I don’t think I have another show in this slot I prefer, so will check it out.

10. N says:

Like Abigail Spencer in Rectify…so I guess I’ll watch

11. Debbie says:

I’ve been a fan of time traveling shows since ABC aired Irwin Allen’s Time Tunnel back in the 60’s, so yes, I’m looking forward to this one.

12. B says:

Looks pretty good. I’ll check it out.

13. herman1959 says:

Goran V. and Sakina Jaffrey in the same show… I’ll HAVE to try it.

14. PatriciaLee says:

I’m not into soul crushing stuff. We’ll see if the husband wants to see it, otherwise, I’ll wait until the end of the series to check it out, maybe picking out upbeat episodes.

15. steve says:

ill be honest. i want to see all the time travel shows. im looking forward to them.

16. cej says:

Based on the title alone, I’d say it doesn’t have much chance. See: Forever, Limitless.

17. Carol C says:

Looks exciting.

18. Jake says:

I might watch, but it looks like one of those shows where the heros get a million chances to stop (kill, eliminate, etc.) the villain but for some lame reason or another never actually do it, and it ends up being endlessly frustrating with the viewer shouting at the screen, “shoot already, damn it!”….

19. Ram510 says:

I had no interest in watching this at all but after reading this I may give a chance. With nothing else on during that time I could end up watching the whole season

20. Shane Hasty says:

You know, for a government agency whose mission is to prevent history from being changed, and not causing any ripples or anything, you’d think they’d be smart enough to simply send three white guys to do the work. Voila. Crisis about racism and feminism getting in the way solved. Do the mission with no one giving you a second thought.

Wait, on second thought, making problems is exactly what the government does best. Never mind.

21. Tom Kohls says:

I’m not sure what this “review” said. It wasn’t a review. It was a prediction that we will like it because it got a good time slot. Decision made, season two coming up ,regardless…