Game of Thrones Season 6 Jaime Brienne

Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Muses Jaime's Death, Feelings for Brienne: 'There Is More Between Them'

Jaime and Brienne’s reunion in Sunday’s Game of Thrones may not have taken place in a steaming bath, but star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau says that doesn’t mean there wasn’t plenty going on under the surface.

The characters hadn’t seen each other since the fourth episode of Season 4, when the Kingslayer gave the lady knight his sword, Oathkeeper, as she set off to find Sansa Stark. Prior to that, they’d survived capture by Bolton forces, near-rape, the loss of a hand, near-mauling by a bear and, of course, the aforementioned Bath of Confession. So yeah, there were feelings aplenty between the two — even though, as the actor points out, “Clearly it’s something they can’t act on.”

We wanted to hear what else Coster-Waldau had to say about such a momentous scene — and how it’s all likely to bite Cersei’s twin in the behind when his final Lannister debt is paid. Read on to hear the actor’s thoughts on “No One” and the final two episodes of Season 6.

TVLINE | I was just so happy to have Jaime and Brienne in the same room in this week’s episode.
Well, so was I!

TVLINE | What were your thoughts when you found out the interaction was on its way?
I was excited that finally they would meet. In the books, of course now we’re off book, but the last thing that’s still a part of the original books is this meeting between the two. But it’s quite different than in the book, because there’s a whole different storyline that’s not in the show. So when I read the script, I was excited. I thought it was a great scene. And I was excited to get to work with Gwendoline Christie again. We’ve had a lot of fun over the years.

TVLINE | We’ve talked before about how Jaime might’ve had feelings for Brienne — high esteem, respect, perhaps affection — but he hasn’t been able to put them into words. He’s acted on them, certainly, but this scene is the first time they’ve actually talked about some of them. Is this the most comfortable they can be talking about their friendship, given who they are?
[Laughs] Well, I hope that they could get a little further. But it’s less to do about their relationship, more about their own personal journey as human beings. Everything they do, they’re following someone else’s agenda all the time — by choice. The whole thing of being honorable, being trustworthy when it comes to the people they love or the people they’ve promised to protect, they’re each other’s equal that way. Jaime will do anything for Cersei. He believes it’s his duty but it’s also his choice, if you will. Brienne is now Sansa’s… whatever you call that. Kingsuard? I know there’s a word for it.

…In a weird way, someone else’s agenda or feelings always come before [Brienne and Jaime’s] own. I’m not even sure that they would ever allow themselves to go to that place. There’s no question you see that in this scene: There is more between them. But the way the scene ends, when she says, “If this goes back, I’m going to have to fight for Sansa Stark, and I’m going to have to fight you.” And he says, “Well I hope it doesn’t come to that.” There’s no question that if it comes to that, they’ll both do it. And obviously she’s going to kill him in an instant.

TVLINE | It occurs to me that now she could do it with his sword.
Don’t say that out loud! [Laughs] I’m sure the writers already planned that years ago. This was his moment. Just take the sword back! I was like, “Just take it. Take it! You know it’s going to come back and haunt you.” But you’re right.

game-of-thrones-jaime-edmureTVLINE | The scene with Tobias Menzies as Edmure: Jaime handles threatening his prisoner in a way that’s much different than he would have a few seasons back. Less brash, more mature and, for lack of a better word, thoughtful?
He’s matured in a way. He was a soldier when he had his hand, and he enjoyed fighting. But I’ve never seen him as someone who particularly loved killing and the mayhem. He’s seen enough of that in his life. He wants to avoid that whole thing. He tried to talk sense to The Blackfish in the episode before when he says, “You’re going to sacrifice all your men for what? There is only one ending to this. It might take a year, it might take a day, but this is it.” He’s also, in a way, understanding himself better. How do I find a way into this guy? He had this briefest of moments with Myrcella when he realized how dear it is to have a child, to be a father, and what that means. And knowing that even though Edmure has never seen his kid, most people would do anything to save their children — thank God — so he uses that. He does it in almost a matter-of-fact manner, which is why I think it works so well, because there is no question that he means what he says. He will do anything.

Of course, they set it up. The writers were very clever. When he arrives at Riverrun, he has the scene with the Frey brothers when he tells them, “Listen, if you’re going to make a threat, you’ve got to be prepared to carry through.” This is the payoff to that little scene when he says that this is how it is. He’s done that consistently throughout most of the series. When he says horrible things, and hurtful things, they usually spring out of a truth… It might be like Catelyn Stark has this relation to Ned Stark, this beautiful, perfect family… You have this amazing husband and he’s honorable, and I’m clearly the dishonorable guy. But the fact is, your husband brought home a bastard. [Laughs] He clearly f–ked someone else. That’s a horrible thing to be told, of course. And she gets really upset and hits him in the head with a rock. But it’s still the truth. And it hurts.

TVLINE | We see Bronn and Pod having a conversation outside the tent.
Which is such a great… it feeds the subtext of the scene we’re about to see, because clearly there is something going on between Jaime and Brienne, and clearly it’s something they can’t act on. Maybe in a very secret moment. But they would never verbalize it.

TVLINE | On that tip, I loved that Jaime looks around to see if anyone is watching before waving to Brienne as she rows away.
Oh, yeah.

TVLINE | Also in that Pod-Bronn talk, there’s discussion of different styles of fighting: the more formal, militarized way — like Jaime and Brienne know — and the down-and-dirty way at which Bronn excels. Given that we know there’s a huge threat coming down from the north, and that the white walkers don’t fight fair, how do you think characters like Jaime and Brienne will fare in the war to come?
It’s smart to hold onto that sword, because it’s Valyrian steel. [Laughs] That has special abilities. It was kind of a similar scene to when Bronn was training Jaime two seasons ago, and he was doing the same thing about breaking the so-called rules of the game. The thing about waiting for someone to be ready to fight? No, no. You just fight. It’s about winning… You need a lot of fire to beat those things. So let’s hope the dragon lady makes it across the pond. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Last question: Give me any tease you can about the next two episodes.
I think the next episode is the biggest they’ve made, in terms of scale. Production-wise. A lot of stunt guys were working on that episode. And the last episode, it’s just, it’s… no I can’t give you anything. [Laughs] It’s a cool ending to Season 6.

1. Kristine says:

I really feel that those two will have to fight before it all ends and that he will let himself die before he’d harm her. There is love, respect and admiration there.

• Laura says:

100% agree. I’m also not sure she could kill him. However it ends, it will gut the viewers emotionally, these 2 have a deeper connection than any other characters on the show and the chemistry between the actors is phenomenal

• At last! says:

They already gut me as it is, the tension is killing me! I don’t think I can take it if they don’t find a way so Brienne and Jaime end up together.

• TigerLily says:

Of course she can kill him! He doesn’t have his right hand and hasn’t really learned to fight with his left. But my guess is she’d capture him before killing him.

• Hippie says:

@Kristine I like your comment very much and I do agree with that .

2. LABete says:

Please don’t even muse about Jaime’s death! He’s got to make it to the very end. I’m sure he believes Cersei is his HEA, but it might be Brienne after all.

• maggie says:

Cersei is evil, and she is the reason why Jaime does bad things. Jaime can do right, such as killing the Mad King before he destroys the city, and helping his brother escape. Brienne brings out the good in Jaime, and I hope that they end up together. He needs to fight for the right side in order to make up for the bad things he’s done, like what he did to Bran.

• John says:

I still think that at some point, Cersei will “confess” that Tommen isn’t a Baratheon and that will invalidate his place on the throne, taking away the political power of the High Sparrow and Faith Militant. That will also release Jaime from any obligations he would ever have to the Tullys and Boltons. That could come in to play in the “Battle of the Bastards” episode. I doubt it, but I’d like to think that’s where the story is going.

• Hippie says:

@ John : I had not thought of that turn about ; that would be great if that happened but like you mentioned it is doubtful since Cersei would have to acknowledge whom Tommin’s real father is ; or make one up…. lol . I am pretty sure Cersei is on the brink of madness herself as Lady Olenna has pointed out to Cersei that she has very few allies and every one she has loved is gone or has left her but she has “something” brewing with Qyburn and helpful news to her ….so only time will tell : ) I just hope it has nothing to do with Tyrion , any of the remaining Starks , or Daenerys .

• Rich says:

Cersie is the woman of his life, his only love. She is not evil. He doesn’t love Brienne he highly respects her and has some symphaty not more….

• Amy says:

Jaime is in love with Brienne and Brienne in love with Jaime, they just live in a world in which they can’t even begin to dimension what they actually have.

It’s why she mistaken her admiration for Renly for actual love and Jaime fooled himself into thinking what he had with Cersei was the real thing. They were too young and too inexperienced to know better. And now that they do know better, it’s just too perfect for them to deal with it. No one has that in Westeros, Jaime and Brienne don’t have anything to compare what they have.

3. BriannB. says:

Well since Sansa is a woman, then Brienne, as her protector, would be a Queensguard.

4. wafflestacktown says:

I like Hiddleston, but what about Coster-Waldau as Bond?

• Hippie says:

Ah….I did read in an interview with Emilia that she wanted to be a first female Bond ; that sounds like it would be incredible to me . Although I definitely see Kit Harrington , Nikolaj Coster- Waldau , Richard Maddon , Pedro Pascal , or Michiel Huisman all would be a amazing as “007” .

5. Hippie says:

I really like4d this interview very much ; it was done very well and good questions and ofcourse answers : ) I am a bit sad to hear that Jamie and Lady Brienne will not get further on in their feelings for each other into “actions” but it would be amazing to see a really meaningful kiss between the two ….even if they can not be together . I really like the scene with Bronn and Podrick extremely ; there was talk about Bronn doing something really bad to Podrick but I did not believe that rumor for a second and I knew they were on great terms in their last scene together and Bronn was happy to see Podrick was not “killed off” ….lol . I thought it was clever that Bronn brought up Pod and his “magic cock” asking if he had shared it with Lady Brienne yet ? ….that was pretty clever . I was very impressed that Nikolaj Coster did not give any spoilers for the last two episodes ….it was like he was going to but decided the scenes would be more amazing for “US” fans of the series if we just keep on guard . It is obvious that Jamie among the other characters have definitely matured a lot because “let’s face it” they have had to due to extreme circumstances and I could not be happier with the way most of the story lines are going at this point . I totally understood why Jamie had that talk with Edmund and why he said things the way he did . Jamie has loved Cersei his whole life ; although their relationship is as disturbing as it is “in relations to each other” there is on a certain level a Love ( at least on Jaime’s part ) that is as strong as any marriage . I was broken hearted for Jamie when he came back with one hand and a Total Mess and Cersei was so cold and distant to him and she even told him that it was to late for them Jamie had missed his chance ; It feels like he has been trying to get back into her “good graces” since then to me . I truly do feel that Jamie is far to good for the likes of Cersei ; to bad things will not turn up right for Jamie and Lady Bienne I adore both their characters….even if Jamie did push Bran from that tower . I still wonder will that all come out ….hmm .

6. andi says:

Jaime killed his king, I’m sure he could bang Brienne on the low….

• andi says:

he’s also procreating with his sister…which is obviously more egregious then acting on his feelings for Brienne.

I mean, this is all fine and dandy, and it’s nice to think that the writing hasn’t gone down hill the last 2 years, but c’mon…

• Amy says:

I feel that Brienne is the one who has to act on her feelings for Jaime, if only because he lost his right hand to keep her virtue, which made it something that needs to be given rather than taken. He won’t act on his feelings for her until she gives into her feelings for him.