Last Ship Premiere Pulled Orlando Shooting

The Last Ship's Sunday Premiere Pulled in Wake of Orlando Mass Shooting

TNT has pulled from Sunday night’s schedule the Season 3 premiere of The Last Ship, which features gunmen invading a Vietnamese nightclub and opening fire, killing several. The decision comes in the wake of the Sunday-morning shooting massacre at an Orlando nightclub, which left upwards of 50 people dead and another 53 injured.

The Last Ship sequence, which comes in the back half of the two-hour premiere’s first hour, sets up the abduction of several characters, launching a major Season 3 arc.

“As a result of the shootings this weekend in Orlando, tonight’s originally scheduled season premiere of The Last Ship has been postponed,” said TNT in a statement. “Our hearts are with the victims and their families.”

The Orlando attack — the worst mass shooting in U.S. history — took place at Pulse, a gay nightclub, just miles from Friday’s shooting death of Voice contestant Christina Grimmie. The suspected gunman has been identified as Omar Saddiqui Mateen, 29, of Fort Pierce, Fla.

Sunday night’s Tony Awards ceremony, airing on CBS, will be dedicated to the “families and friends of those affected” by the Orlando massacre.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Crap I’ve been really looking forward to this show being back, but I get it.

• Laura says:

Not sure where it actually aired on TV in terms of other countries, but it aired somewhere because I watched it on a 3rd party streaming site today. The scene is pretty similar to what happened in Orlando so I can certainly understand why they pulled it for a short time. The rest of the episode was, as usual, amazing.

• tvjunkie says:

The first hour aired in the US on TNT about 2 weeks ago at 12am or some odd time. There was no announcement or anything about it, but my DVR had recorded it. It was labeled “First Look” which I thuoght was a preview, but it was actually the first 1hr episode.

2. steven says:

If the victims don’t want to see that kind of violence on TV, then they shouldn’t have to watch it. Let the fans enjoy the show, there is no need to pull the show from the air.

• Life trumps TV. I’ve been where you are before, but then I realized there are more important things than telly.

A lot of people lost their lives. Show a little respect. You’ll be able to watch the show next week, two weeks at the latest.

• steven says:

I can show respect by not watching it, it’s no reason to pull the show from the air.

• justsomeguy says:

I’ve never understood this logic. Someone not watching a TV show is some how showing respect to people you don’t know in a completely different part of the world. It’s not like people are sitting at home weeping over the news. Not one person I know shed a tear about it. It happened, and it’s very sad for those affected and their families, but it’s just part of life now. When I die, whether naturally, or by the hand of a loose cannon, only those closest to me will care. The world will keep spinning, and TV shows will still be broadcast on television.

There’s being sad, and then being ridiculous.

• tvjunkie says:

The terrorists win when you let them disrupt normal life. In this case the terrorist won. The worst thing you can do in this type of situation is to back down and let them think they’re succeeding.

• TV Gord says:

The terrorists win when we start taking mass shootings for granted and don’t even care enough about the loss of life to put off watching a TV show for a week or so.

• Yeah, that’ll show ISIS. I’m going to watch The Last Ship and there’s nothing they can do to stop me!

It was a national tragedy. It was respectful for TNT to not profit off an episode revolving around a gunmen after at least 49 families lost someone in a terrorist attack.

We all like the show. It’ll air soon. You waited 9 months. You can wait a little longer.

• Bella says:

It’s about saying that what happened today should still be upsetting and unacceptable in our society. For most of us, what has happened to those innocent people is a tragedy and a trauma, even though it doesn’t affect us directly. You might not be emotionally affected by it, but a lot of other people are. And those people would be miserable watching a scene reminiscent of it this evening on a fun TV show.

• Jerri says:

They pulled it because of a scene in it that’s too close for home in resembling what happened in Orlando. Some people may get triggered and will no doubt complain/sue. This has very little to do with “our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families of the shooting”, and more to do with covering their own butts when it comes to potential lawsuits.

• yuka says:

agree. TNT blundered.

3. Beth says:

The producers and TNT showed alot class today

4. Maggie says:

I will miss not seeing the Last Ship, but it was the right thing to do.

5. Norman says:

I think what happened this morning was an outrage to society. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the families who have to endure what happened to their family members as well as the suffering they will endure. What I fail to understand is how canceling a fictionalized TV show that was filmed months ago will have any impact on the screwed up thinking of a extremely small portion of society. Do the producers and TNT think that with what the victims families are going through they are going to go home and watch the program. The program itself is set in a post-apocalypse society and has been extremely violent though out.

• Annie Sisk says:

Canceling it won’t have any impact – it’s the *showing* of it that is insensitive and unkind. They made the right call.

• tvjunkie says:

The way the terrorists will and should see it is as a sign of great weakness and only further encourage them. It’s a terrible message to send to the people who perpetrate these crimes against humanity.

• Angela says:

It’s a TV show. Airing a TV show at its regularly scheduled time isn’t exactly some great fight against terrorism.

• TV Gord says:

I’m looking forward to the new season, but not tonight. Not after this day. I’m certainly not going to complain about having to wait another week or so to watch a TV show when families in Florida are coming to grips with the horrible fact that they will never be the same.

6. Kevin K says:

Very sad about the tragic events of the Orlando shooting but I really bummed that tonight’s season premiere of The Last Ship had to be postponed and is there any word from TNT that they’re going to pushed it to next week?

7. Rondre says:

Here my thing people die everyday, so what makes someone elses death more important than others. What about that black kid that got shot 6 times. Or that latina girl that had an heart attack.

• Daniel Armour says:

Umm… Neither of those things should be swept under the rug as “business as usual”. They’re very sad and unfortunate situations. In saying that, very rarely do fifty people die at a single time; and the fact that it is, once again, bought on by needless gun violence and intolerance makes it all the more worrisome.

8. Jason says:

Are they pushing it to next Sunday? I think a lot of people don’t realize they showed that entire episode two Mondays ago in a preview. It wasn’t even listed under it’s episode title but it was the whole episode.

9. Bradley Martens says:

I hear all of you, but here’s the thing, by not going about your normal routine and wallowing in the tragedy, the terrorists win. For some of us, TV shows are a form of escape, and on top of that, some of us know the difference between fiction and reality. Those who take offense are just looking for a reason to start a fight and to feel superior to others. With that argument out-of the way, I understand why TNT made their decision, but someone somewhere is gonna be offended regardless of the airdate…

10. Chris says:

When will the third season premiere of “The Last Ship” air now that it’ been postponed?

11. Jose says:

Ok, I get it. But how will this help? Inevitably they will have to premiere it OR scrub the entire sequence altogether. Waiting another week isn’t going to ease suffering. It is what it is. Show it and move forward people. When Colorado shootings occurred, theaters didn’t stop showing The Dark Knight?

12. Linda Garza says:

Air The Last Ship I have been waiting many months I love this show!!

13. kar says:

They made the right choice

14. Couch Mom says:

As a mom of a son, who is my only child, I understand what the moms of those who were lost are feeling. If it were my son, I would grieve, but I know that the world will keep on moving in spite of my grief. As much as I like this show and was looking forward to the premier of S3, I think TNT made the right call.

15. Angela says:

So let me get this straight here.
    When a mass shooting happens, one of the first things that often gets blame is the violent content in the media, claiming it inspires people to go on shooting sprees (I personally disagree with that, mind, but the fact remains that it is a common response all the same).
    So as a result, a channel decides to show respect (or, if one wants to be cynical, avoid complaints/lawsuits. whichever) and hold off on airing a program featuring violent content in the wake of a violent shooting…
    …and now people are mad that it’s NOT being aired.
    Okay. I’m sure that line of thought makes sense somewhere.

16. nothopefulhere says:

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

17. Leanna says:

I agree with this decision. Do we know when they will air the premier?

18. Victoria says:

Wow. I can’t believe how many people are upset. Why not try spreading some joy today rather than being mad you don’t get to watch your tv show on time.

• Victoria says:

Just to clarify, I don’t mean the people that “are sad but understand”. I mean the people that don’t get it.

19. Linda says:

I appreciate the concern over Orlando’s tragedy. But why should a TV network determine that no one can watch an anticipated season premier? Those who might be upset over the show do not need to watch it. Yes it was a tragedy, but let the viewers decide to watch, not watch, record for later, not the network. My hearts go out to those who were victims and their families and friends. I watched the news, but thought I was recording L”last Ship” to watch later. Then I discovered I didn’t even get to record it. I live 45 miles from Orlando, and care a lot about what happened. But please stop deciding for me what I can and can’t watch. That’s why I pay for the ability to record something I want to see later, because I’m watching something more important that affects our Country, “The Land Of Freedoms!

20. Laura Markl says:

I do not watch the show, but I do not agree with pulling it. What they could of done was put a disclaimer eighth before it aired then that way if it would affect you then you would know not to watch.

21. Nan says:

A class act for one of the best shows on TV. I admire TNT for their sensitivity.

22. grazelled says:

For everyone so depressed they can’t see the first episode of The Last Ship, it’s a TV show! The reason TNT decide not to show the first episode was because the shooting was at a nightclub on the program and they couldn’t show the 2nd episode out of order.

If you have a DVR and set it to record all new episodes you would have seen the first hour a couple of weeks ago. I can live another week to find out what happens in the 2nd hour.

Maybe showing compassion for our fellow human beings in face of a tragedy is how we win against terrorism. Terrorists don’t have empathy but seem to relish in human suffering so what looks like weakness to them, showing compassion is really the secret of our strength.

23. Scripted television drama is a form of entertainment that allows viewers to escape their everyday problems and enter a fictional world. Although these programs can indeed be reflective of what happens in real life, it is typically a dramatized version. However, the particular scene being referenced in this article is rather reflective of the mass shooting in Orlando and all of the struggle and heartache many Americans are enduring as a result. Although the majority of Americans are not directly impacted by this tragedy, airing this episode hours after these events transpired would likely anger and offend many people. With all of this in mind, I believe that TNT did make the right decision by holding off the premiere of this program. Although fans of the show were likely disappointed, it was in the best interest of the network to keep the focus on the victims and their families during such a difficult time. The media should remain sensitive and courteous to the lives altered by what transpired Sunday morning, and that ultimately is what TNT did by pulling this episode off the schedule. The finale of season two aired in early September, so another week should not deter fans who have been waiting for this premiere since then.

24. frankie hendrick says:

nobody cares! proves the show is nothing more than badly acted, written, directed, government propaganda! cancel it! remember ebola was the first season! cancel please do us a solid.

25. nba 2k17 says:

Wow cuz this is really helpfulexcellent job! Congrats and keep it up

26. The data is extremely important