Nashville Renewed Season 5 CMT Official

It's Official: Nashville Will Move to CMT for Back-From-the-Dead Season 5

The boot-scootin’ buzz was true: Despite its recent cancellation at ABCNashville definitely will continue for a fifth season at CMT.

The country-music cable network confirmed the pick-up, which was first reported Tuesday, in a joint statement with Lionsgate and ABC Studios (which produce the series) and Hulu (which will continue to stream it the day after it airs).

Star Charles Esten and some of his castmates, along with CMT host Cody Alan, are expected to celebrate the news at a concert in Music City later today.

“CMT heard the fans. The wave of love and appreciation they have unleashed for Nashville has been overwhelming,” Brian Philips, president of the network, said in a statement. “Nashville is a perfect addition to our evolving line-up of big music specials, documentaries and original series. We see our fans and ourselves in this show, and we will treasure it like no other network. Nashville belongs on CMT.”

Season 5 of the country-music drama will take place under the leadership of new showrunners Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick (thirtysomething) who have replaced Dee Johnson in the role. Their likely first order of business? Resolving the Season 4 finale’s cliffhanger ending, which found divorced parents Avery and Juliette on the verge of reconciliation… just before her private jet went missing. (A happier ending was shot, but Lionsgate and ABC Studios convinced the network to use the more ambiguous outcome, in hopes of making the drama more attractive to potential buyers.)

RELATED Nashville Exec Downplays ‘Short-Term Pain’ of Cliffhanger, Insists Alt Ending Would’ve Been ‘Disservice to Fans’

Kevin Beggs, chairman of Lionsgate Television Group, credited the show’s fans with the pick-up. “#Nashies, you helped make this possible,” he said via statement.

Added Patrick Moran, executive vice president, ABC Studios: “We always had faith that we would find a way to bring ‘Nashville’ back to its devoted fans, and we’re very proud to be in partnership with CMT and Hulu to extend the life of this series.”

Will you follow Nashville to its new home? Sound off in the comments!

1. Bwhit says:

Important question…. Will Kimberly Roots still be recapping?!? This is great news!

2. Joel Maurice says:

This seems like a premature celebration until we see what cast is returning. Because if they cant get Britton. Esten and Panettiere and Jackson. Then just let it stay dead. Those four were the ones that were the heart of the show and they need to be together. Britton without Esten or vice versa is going to be a trainwreck.

• greg says:

In the article it mentions Eston participating in the concert for the renewal, i would say that is a safe bet that Britton and him are on board.

• Joel Maurice says:

Maybe a safe bet for Eston because he’s in the concert but not Connie. Connie Britton comes at a higher price tag and with more opportunities for her in the Ryan Murphy verse she and the studio could easily come to terms that she could move on…… Which would be stupid.

• Gloria Seales says:

The show will not last without Connie.

• Andrea says:

I disagree that the show would not last without Connie. Rayna is not beloved by every Nashville fan, and Connie is the weakest singer on the show. If she wanted to do other things, Deacon is also Scarlett’s uncle and Maddie’s father. He can be both of those things without Rayna. Luke also has a record label, so if need be, the show could shift its attention to Wheelin’ Dealin records. Luke has ties to Juliette and Will, and there’s no reason that he couldn’t develop further ties to Avery, Scarlett, and Gunnar. It would also be interesting to see what Luke and Deacon’s professional and personal relationships would be like with Rayna absent from the canvas.

• VegasGal72 says:

I think everyone has different favorite characters. For me the show would be over without “Deacon” and I couldn’t care less about Juliette.

• Brigid says:

I agree! Connie Britton and Hayden are the ONLY characters I care about. I love the music and that is the reason I’ve stayed but the the soapy elements get on my last nerve. These characters are so childish, Rayna is the only voice of reason and maturity on the show. If she goes, so do i.

• tvjunkie says:

She’s still under contract, so she’ll get paid what she’s already agree to. CMT would have known what everyone was making under contract as part of making the deal. The only question is if they would release anyone from contract, but they don’t have to sign them because they’re already signed.

• sarah says:

The same thing happened with Friday Night Lights it went to Direct TV in its last season…..I am sure that Britton will make the move. I do not see anyone leaving but we will see.

• David4 says:

FNL went to Direct TV for it’s last 3 seasons.

“To save the series, NBC struck a deal with DirecTV to co-produce three more seasons; each subsequent season premiered on DirecTV’s 101 Network, with NBC rebroadcasts a few months later. – Wiki

I also think they cut the episodes down from 22 (or less because of the strike) to 13 if I remember correctly.

• Happy Camper says:

Yes. I need to know that Juliette Barnes is returning before I can truly celebrate this news.

• James says:

According to Deadline, most of the cast have contracts that’s still good for two more seasons, covering until a Season 6 (per the usual standard).

The question now is if there would be adjustments on the financial side that comes with moving from broadcast to cable. I doubt the major core ones will go away but I can see them dropping the dead weight currently in the ensemble.

• Kimberly Thibodeaux says:

I read that the entire cast is still UNDER CONTRACT, so I would think it would be a safe bet that all of our favorites will be returning!

• TVFan says:

Unfortunately, all that means is that the actors are under contract to the show. If the show wants the actor, the actor must appear. The show can release an actor from the contract and then not have to use them or pay them.

• Mary says:

I thought they all were under contract. I wouldn’t think it would make a difference just because it is being shown on a different network. Time will tell. I think they all will come back. The only questionable one would be Panettiere due to her illness. She needs to put her health first.

• Aly Brose says:

I agree with Andrea who says we al have different characters—mine would be Scarlett and Gunnar!
      I know when they cancelled many articles mentioned that some of the cast had long term contracts, hopefully all of the important ones! Although, I think Hayden (Juliette) just re-entered treatment for PPD so who knows how they’ll handle that again. Best wishes for her either way though!

3. Jennifer says:

Have we heard anything on the leads? esp. Rayna and Juliette?

4. greg says:

Holding my breath until they confirm who is coming back… The show wouldn’t be the same without Juliette/Avery, but most of the other side characters could go. Scarlett is unbearably annoying and there is no redemption left for Layla.

• Andrea says:

Scarlett may be annoying at times, but Clare can definitely sing! Therefore, Scarlett must remain, IMO. Layla can go, I’d agree with that.

• Gloria Seales says:

Layla can definitely go. She has no redeeming qualities.

• Amy says:

Scarlett and Gunnar have chemistry, and just about the best singing together in the show. But also I LOVE Scarlett & Deacon’s relationship. I’m currently re-watching S1 & 2 on Amazon Prime…some great scenes with Scarlett/Deacon. So I consider her a core character & want her to stay. Layla’s never been redeemed. She needs to go. Sorry Audrey Peeples.

• Aly Brose says:

Scarlett is amazing even though her story line with Gunnar was waining and I was about to lose my patience for her pride. LOL . The sad part is, Layla can sing too! But they really made us hate her in the last few episodes, I doubt she can redeem herself.

5. Steveo says:

Well, Will, is was fun while it lasted.

6. Lauren says:

As long Juliette, Avery, rayna and deacon come back I am in!

7. Andrea says:

Second important question: Which characters are headed to CMT?

8. Mila says:

Keep Chris Carmack and his storyline! LGBT in country experience such discrimination. I’m afraid CMT won’t be as frontline about fighting for inclusion.

• Marcie says:

Good point. I’m surprised nobody else has picked up on this.

• Nicola says:

Agreed. Although part of me would almost rather let him be written out (or demoted to a guest star) rather than have his storyline butchered by CMT. Especially given that his last storyline brought him and Kevin back together; a gay character on CMT would be unlikely enough, but a gay man whose storyline now (presumably) includes a relationship? Not gonna happen. I’d rather he get his happily-ever-after than join the list of sad, angsty gay characters.

• Mila says:

I don’t have CMT, so I didn’t for sure how they were about LGBT characters, but hearing that saddens me. You are right that a butchered storyline wouldn’t advance awareness and understanding on the cause. I do hope the new writers do good.

9. padraicjacob says:

I’m confused, wouldn’t all of the actors be under contract to return? Their contract is with the studio, not the network right? Obviously, if the budget is cut, the producers would have to cut people. But can the actors opt out themselves?

• JL says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that all actors are still under contract when Lionsgate first started shopping Nashville around. I have no idea where that was, though, so I might be totally wrong!

• Maddie says:

Yes, the performers are under contract, but in most contracts, the production company has the option to let a performer go at the end of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they slimmed down the cast a bit.

The actors can only opt out if the production company says, “we need to renegotiate because the budget of a cable company will be smaller”. Then the actor can say, “Pay me the terms of the original deal or I will leave.”

• Al says:

The actors wouldn’t be able to easily opt out themselves, but the studio also can’t just reduce their salaries. So, if the studio isn’t getting as much money from the license fee (from CMT/Hulu) as they got from ABC, they might opt to cut some of the cast.

• TVFan says:

10. Phil Chandler says:

All we need now is for CMT to recommence broadcasts in the UK. With country music more popular than ever they still refuse run a service!!!

11. Gloria Seales says:

I will definitely follow Nashville to CMT, but ONLY if they don’t do something stupid like killing off Rayna, like was hinted at a couple days ago. The relationship between Rayna and Deacon was one of the reasons my friends and I loved the show. Please do not destroy that hard-fought relationship.

12. Kat Farr says:

At last, a network has the brains to see a show (Nashville) for the value it bring. Thanks CMT!

13. Leo August says:

#NashvilleIsBack Bittersweet news in my case… Our provider doesn’t broadcast CMT in HD.. unless another channel shares the broadcasts. Guess we’ll know for sure in the fall..

• Andrea says:

A lot of provider websites have a form or a phone number where you can call or write to request a channel. Maybe there will be enough time to get CMT on your provider’s system if enough people request it.

14. steven says:

Don’t put dirt on this show’s grave just yet.

15. Boiler says:

Chris Carmack is a major supporter of the show and it being rescued. Would have to think he would be back. As much as I like Hayden I personally think the show could survive without her. Maybe see who will be at the concert although I don’t think Connie sings in person

• Shaun says:

Well,I imagine that all the side characters will go and maybe Layla and Luke.Think the daughters and Will might be bumped to recurring.They should keep all the originals though.

• He’s also spoken out publicly against TN new anti gay laws saying he and his finance may no longer be permanent residents if TN cause if them.Cast is gin shave to be cut since CMTdosent have the abc Bugdet and if they’re doing 22 episodes…

• Mila says:

Chris Carmack return is not entirely his decision. The show can drop him and his storyline. LGBT and country does not match well in everyone’s mind. And I read that CMT’s gay characters are not well developed or they are mainly there just as a carton holder, sadly. Can only hope and see

16. CAN says:

Happy, happy, happy! I checked some of the Twitter accounts and it looks like the main characters are all on board.

17. loubell2 says:

Awesome news!! I can’t wait!!!!

18. abz says:

Really glad it’s coming back. The writers need to use this whole situation as a lesson and make sure that characters like Maddie as well as other trash characters like Cash, Frankie and that other one who tried to break up Gunnar and Scarlett (I’ve already frogotten her name which just shows what a nuisance character she was) don’t take away from other interesting characters/stories.
    Oh and please make Kyle Dean Massey a regular or at least recurring status. I want to see Will and Kevin’s relationship given some meaningful screen time and allow us to watch it grow and develop just like other couples on this show.

• Bwhit says:

I don’t think that’s going to be a problem, they have new show runners who I believe have assembled their own writing staff. I know the name of the character your referring to but would just rather pretend she was never there lol. (It’s Autumn)

• Nicola says:

If they allow Chris Carmack to stick around, this would be ideal, so we don’t get an awkward 180 from the finale reunion to “oh, yeah, it didn’t work out, never mind.” Maybe they could bump Chris down to recurring and Kyle up to the same, balance it out?

As far as cast cuts, I echo all the others saying Layla should be the first to go, plus Cash and Autumn (after she fired Gunnar and Scarlett I see no plot to keep her around). Luke’s grown on me but I wouldn’t lament him leaving or getting bumped to guest or recurring status, either.

• Ray says:

Amen. I don’t ever want to see Cash, Frankie, Autumn or even Vida for that matter on my screen ever again. I also wouldn’t mind Ausellio’s earlier suggestion of Maddie getting run over a dump truck.

19. Elsey says:

Hell yeah!! Cannot wait

20. KATHY RACHELS says:

THANK YOU!!!

21. Nancy says:

Definitely will be watching

22. Karen says:

Heck yeah I’ll follow it! Thanks to CMT for picking it up!!

23. Pat Buccheri says:

Nashville was one of my favorite shows and I am glad it will continue and I will surely tune into the CMT channel to watch!

Very happy viewer!!

24. Rachael Buford says:

Yesssss……….Absolutely love Nashville! Couldn’t believe ABC had the nerve to cut it.

25. Kimberly Gross says:

Yessssss! Excited!

26. Jess says:

I wonder what this means for Canadian fans since CMT in USA and CMT in Canada don’t always have the same shows.

• Léa says:

Exactly what I’m wondering! And we don’t have Hulu either… How will we continue watching the show?

• Amy says:

Well, I think you could at least see it on Amazon video (after the season’s over maybe) like I’m watching old seasons on now?

27. TVFan says:

This is great news. I just wish that CMT was still available on my current cable subscription. It has been moved to a premium package that I do not want and cannot afford to pay for just for 1 channel.

• grazelled says:

I do have it on my current lower cost package but wish they would let us just add a channel we want or a mini package. Dish has a “heartland package” for $6/month that includes several channels like both Hallmark channels plus several other similar ones. Not sure if CMT is part of that deal.
      Hulu is $7.99 or 11.99 for commercial free a month to stream.

28. TVFan says:

I just wish I still had CMT.

29. Britty says:

So happy right now! The Tennessean reported that the entire cast is expected to return. Hoping that’s true!

30. I hope they get rid of Layla, Cash, Frankie and Autumn. Also, the Lennon sisters become recurring characters with little focus on anything other than them doing a song every two or three episodes. Put Scarlet in therapy where she belongs. Reunite Javery, and let Dayna be happy for more than ten minutes. Keep Luke, Will, Gunnar. And more music! Anybody know how many episodes CMT is committing to? They only need 14 more for the magic 100 for syndication (if that’s still a thing).

31. Norah says:

Here we come, Nashvillesomething!

32. Carole Beaudin says:

Nashville is great I am very happy!!!

33. Phillip says:

YES!! So freaking happy!!

34. Nan says:

yay so excited…I love this sho

35. Patricia Burt says:

Currently I don’t get CMT as we live out in the boonies where its not available. But I will try to find some way to watch my all time favorite show.

36. Kait says:

Hopefully the new showrunners will find something more for Connie to do than cry and be worried about Deacon/Maddie all the time. Ugh.

• Dana says:

Couldn’t agree more. Connie is such a talented actress but she is often underused on this show, especially this last season. I’d like to see them do more with her and her business dealings at the label, interactions with other artists, performances and her career, etc. Even her interest in the young woman who lived in her car was an interesting story, but then it was just completely dropped and never revisited. I understand the realism of being an alcoholic is that it is a lifelong process and it means some of the same conflicts come up repeatedly, but Deacon’s repeat bad behavior has gotten tiresome over the seasons and I’m glad they somewhat addressed that towards the end of this season (the marriage counseling episode). Hoping they move away from the marital conflict/Deacon making the same poor decisions in season 5. I understand the interest in focusing on her home life but there was a bit too much of that kind of drama this season. She can do so much more than have wife/mom storylines.

37. Jay says:

Poor Connie Britton. She’ll stay with the show, but she was looking forward to being done with it.

• Danyelle says:

ugh I missed that interview:( where did Connie say that??

• brandydanforth81 says:

She spoke out against TN new anti gay laws saying she wouldn’t feel comfortable filming in TN and said the cancellation was “bittersweet”

• Amy says:

Her last tweet regarding Nashville was on the finale night to thank everyone and told them to enjoy Nashville’s finale. Since then, at least on Twitter, her tweets have been more political ones, nothing about Nashville and seems much more interested in real life issues. I don’t know…I fear she may want to be done with Nashville. Whether or not she will be though, I’m dying to know. Either way, with the new show runners, and if several of the other beloved characters come back…this could still continue as an entertaining show. I hope they return to more like Season 1 and 2, stories around the core characters, the music industry and the music! Plenty of drama can arise from that, rather than the half-baked, soapy drama we got this year. This past season was THE weakest. And yet I still loved the show. I will of course follow it to CMT!

38. Sharon says:

Absolutely

39. carol graham says:

YAAAAY!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!

40. carol graham says:

YAAAAY!!!!!!!!!! This makes me happy. thanks CMT!!!!!!

41. VegasGal72 says:

I read today that this will be a full season with 22 episodes just like usual. How great is that!

42. sheri says:

Great news! I have never watched CMT before but I looked it up and my cable company in NYC carries it.

43. Norkir says:

YES – I’m happy dancing in my seat!! Thank you SO much @Lionsgate @CMT & Hulu for keeping alive a show that is so dear to so many fans – Go #nashies-our efforts have been rewarded!😘

44. Claire says:

Awesome! I feel like we are probably guaranteed Rayna, Deacon, Scarlett, Gunnar, Avery, Maddie, and Daphne for return. Luke, Will, and Juliette are probably our maybes.

Layla, Cash, and Frankie are my OH NO please leave choices.

45. Larry says:

Seeing the fact the show is on put a smile on my face and made my day

46. s says:

S
    So happy for the fans of Nashville.
    Wish that we Castle Fans could get that lucky.
    congrats to Nashville.
    This should happen to more cancelled shows.

47. Bette says:

Kimberly Roots, has Tvline heard who’s coming back and who’s not?

48. KateI says:

Yes, there is a Nashville God! Thank you CMT from the bottom of my heart!