Exclusive
Supergirl Season 2

Supergirl Season 2: Lex Luthor's Sister, Lesbian Detective and 'Brash Leading Man' Among 5 New Additions

National City is experiencing a major population spike in the wake of Supergirl‘s move from CBS to The CW. In addition to the Man of Steel’s imminent arrival, TVLine has learned that Greg Berlanti & Co. are adding five major new characters in Season 2 — including the series-regular role of Lex Luthor’s kid sister.

Lena Luthor, who will be in the 25-35 year old range, arrives in town to get out from under the shadow of her infamous brother. She’s described as sexy and smart and determined to get what she wants. But what does she want? That remains unclear.

The other new series regular goes by the name Nick Farrow. He’s a “brash leading man” who butts heads with Kara at CatCo. The son of a famous reporter, Nick is “looking to make a name for himself in the news world but the question of whether he can leave behind his former selfish and hedonistic ways will constantly arise. In hanging out with Kara, the hero in Nick might finally come out.” Hmm….

The remaining three roles are of the recurring variety, and include The Doctor, the diabolical female leader of Project Cadmus who uses her surgical skills to implant prisoners with alien technology (and who sounds a lot like Sterling Roquette); Snapper Carr, a veteran journalist appointed by Cat to remake the news division by going old school (not to be confused with the Justice League sidekick); and the comics-inspired Maggie, an out and proud detective for the newly formed Science Police, which deals specifically with metahuman and alien threats.

Casting is currently underway for all five roles. Got casting suggestions for TPTB? Drop ’em in the comments!

1. JP says:

and what about Lucy Lane? is she sticking around?

2. Z says:

Could do without Snapper Carr..

3. David4 says:

Maybe Lena will get it on With Supergirl. That will surely help ratings.

4. Jaz Schoone says:

Lena sound like Supergirl’s answer to Smallville’s Tess Mercer. I adored Cassidy Freeman in that role I don’t think anyone can compare.

5. Arthur says:

Will Nick Farrow be “the Lois Lane” for Kara? Time will tell, but seems very likely.

• Jason says:

according to Berlanti, James is the Lois Lane of the group. IE he is the one always getting kidnapped and needs to be saved

6. herman1959 says:

I’m pretty sure that Maggie will be involved in at least one crossover with The Flash. I think we can lose Lucy Lane, she’s served her purpose.

7. I thought Mehcad Brooks was playing the role of the damsel in distress?

8. kath says:

I’m loving all the strong female characters on Supergirl. I wish Legends of Tomorrow would take the hint.
    I’d also like a better written relationship between Kara and James, please. I guess Nick Farrow is there to stall that ship this season.
    Just curious, is Callista Flockhart going to be on less now that the show is shooting in Vancouver?

9. KLS says:

5 is a lot! Is anyone leaving? I guess it cost A LOT less money to film in Vancouver than LA!

• 2 regular 3 recurring it’s not that big of a change
      & yes it is a pretty big change in budget google “shows filmed in vancouver”
      you’ll probably be surprised at a few of them

& very few shows OR movies film in cali anymore & if they do it’s most likely in studios
      there are just way more & better places that are willing to offer better deals to get stuff filmed in their area these days

10. Kon Krypton says:

Kara (and by extension Kal-El) are the pieces that will make the Arrowverse whole. I cannot wait. I really like Melissa Benoist’s performance as Kara/Supergirl. She hits the right balance between playing a nerd (as opposed to being one) and playing a hero. I’m so glad that CBS let go of this show.

11. Rana says:

So Lena Luthor is basically Tess from Smallville?

12. les says:

Maggie I know in the comics you marry Batwoman but please please date Alex

• taylor100l says:

Hoping for more Alex and Max Lord > I almost hate myself for shipping them. But they got some undeniable heat even tho I sometimes can’t stand Max Lord.

• taylor100l says:

Won’t you like Maggie to be already dating idk *cough* Kate Kane on the show? Berlanti’s pattern of crossover and spinoffs… This could setup back door Batwoman….

13. ERin says:

Ksenia Solo
    Missy Peregrym
    Zoey Deutch
    Leighton Meester
    Michelle Trachtenberg

14. Pamela says:

Do you think the move to the cw will have the show go in a poor direction? Im assuming the added cast is due to the move to the cw? Many cw shows have too many characters, I liked how the cast was on the slimmer side and you got great character development that way.

• wgsecretary says:

I don’t see why the network should matter. The same people are still in charge. Plus, there are plenty of good shows on The CW. Two of them have won Golden Globes. It’s a smaller network, but that doesn’t necessarily mean poor quality.There are some crappy shows on the big networks. It’s all a matter of taste anyway. If people liked Supergirl on CBS, they’ll probably still like it on The CW. Also, lots of shows add and lose characters throughout seasons. Adding two new characters and three recurring doesn’t sound like that many.

• DV says:

Nothing will change except the number of views will drop down to a 1/4 or a 1/3 of its CBS audience

• AV says:

Exactly – CW isn’t offered in many areas because it is a station in between stations – in MI, it is channel 3.2 or something like that and ATT won’t pick it up, so no way to view except online the day after.

15. Brent Castro says:

so Cassidy Freeman is returning?:)

16. Ed says:

And Lena’s reasons for moving to the city are the exact same as Lucy Lane’s from season 1 – to get out of the shadow of an older sibling.

17. "A" says:

Who would you like to see play Lex Luthor’s sister Lena ( she’s 25-35 ), reporter Nick Farrow, the Doctor, the diabolical female leader of Project Cadmus who uses her surgical skills to implant prisoners with alien technology; Snapper Carr, a veteran journalist appointed by Cat to remake the news division by going old school; and the comics-inspired Maggie, an out and proud detective for the newly formed Science Police, which deals specifically with metahuman and alien threats ?

I’d love to see either Claire Holt, Eliza Dushku, or Sarah Michelle Gellar play Lena Luthor.

18. clintbrew says:

i thought Tess Mercer was Lena Luthor well her full name was Lutessa lena luthor in smallville

• Steveo says:

Lena Luthor is Lex’a sister in the comic books. Making Tess’ middle name “Lena” in SMALLVILLE was a reference to the comic character.

Now, SUPERGIRL is adapting the character for their purposes.

19. Mike R. says:

Interesting to see the word metahuman, so they’re definitely gonna make this one universe one way or another

20. VJ Franklin says:

do we really NEED to have the gay character, can’t we keep it as a mystery and hint at it. Seriously.

• abz says:

Why not? Although I personally do wish the character was gay instead of lesbian. I still feel like it’s more common to see lesbian series regular characters on TV nowadays than gay and/or bisexual male characters. It’s like some shows and movies still avoid it a bit. Anyway, I’m not a comic book reader, but regardless, if she was part of the comics, why shouldn’t they bring her on? The only thing I hope is that the show balances all the characters well and doesn’t turn it into a bloated cast like Grey’s Anatomy.

• tvjunkie says:

Really? With a few exceptions, most shows I’ve seen with gay characters in the last 5 years or so have been men. The 100 is one show that has had both.

• VJ Franklin says:

I don’t want to see it. I have no desire to see two men kissing (or women for that matter). I have the right not to want that, and if I am overruled (which apparently I am), I will just tune into something else. No big, the show will get canceled anyhow, the ratings are super low.

• Maggie Sawyer was introduced in the DC universe following the first Crisis. She isn’t a new character they created to show diversity. To downplay or make invisible her sexuality would be wrong. By wanting that part of her life to be disregarded it’s like your saying that homosexuals should go back in the closet.

21. Edward says:

They didn’t state an age for Maggie (last name Sawyer in the comics) but i think Elisabeth Röhm of Angel and Law & Order fame would be perfect.

22. Goldenvibefan says:

Hopefully with the introduction of cadmus, they introduce superboy soon :)

23. Geo says:

Slight Comic Book Spoilers Ahead: Hmmmm…. I’m intrigued by Maggie being there. Maggie is so linked to Batwoman, and Greg Berlanti’s shows certainly like to bring in as many DC characters as possible. But the rights questions kicks in: since there aren’t any explicit “bat” characters in the Berlanti shows (and I assume Gotham has those rights), is it possible to bring in Batwoman at all?

24. Tony Poirier says:

Interesting that they are going with “Science Police” and not “Special Crimes Unit” or “Metahuman Crime Unit.” But I do like the Legion of Super-Heroes reference better anyhow.

25. DV says:

I love the character descriptions. As if they are ever going to say “ugly and overweight”. lol

26. Joe says:

More gay stuff, huh? That’s relatable to the common man or woman.

• skyebright8 says:

Most people know at least one gay person, I don’t see why having one in a Tv show cast isn’t relatable

27. IRON WILL says:

Not big on shoe-horning SO MANY new characters at once. Who will we see less of? Lucy? Jimmy? Jonn Jones? Cat? Alex? Max Lord?

I like the idea of acknowleging the Luthor family in the series – Maggie I am MEH about, although I can see her Science Police as the NEW ‘DEO’-type organization.

Hoping they do a long-form ‘Death of Superman’ storyline and find a way to integrate Superboy and Steel as characters down-the-road…

28. Phun says:

I hope this doesn’t mean that they’ll get rid any of the main cast. And I wonder if this means Maxwell Lord and Lucy might not be in Season 2.

• taylor100l says:

And what does the Science Police mean for the DEO? in turn, how does that impact the cast/folks in DEO?

• midwestslp says:

Right! It starting to sound like less Martian Manhunter. That makes me sad, but maybe the actor, David Harewood, won’t be as available as he was in season 1 now that they’ve moved to Vancouver.

29. 5 looks a lot. But only two new series regular..so i think that’s okay. Lena will be one of the big bads of the season, for sure! Snapper Carr will be probably on the episodes that Calista will be off..and Maggie seems interesting..Don’t mess this CW!

The Project Cadmus storyline looks great!!

30. Didn’t take long for the show to get CWed to the hilt….

31. we could do w/o maggie. really.

32. David H says:

You know, I was just talking to some friends the other night, and we agreed that while we all really enjoyed the first season of ‘Supergirl,’ the one thing that was missing was a lesbian detective. Now we’ve got a show.

33. Chuck says:

#TomWellingForSuperman

34. Dr. M says:

So they’re going to lose Calista and then cast bloat to hide it. That always works well.

35. Rich says:

Amy Acker would make a great Lena

36. kar says:

they should axe jimmy

37. Zavok says:

What does this mean for Cat Grant?

38. LostSoul says:

If we’re talking dream casting for the character of Maggie Sawyer; only Eliza Dushku comes to mind!

As for Snapper Carr…He sounds like a “mature” version of the adventurous tv reporter from the Justice League animated show! I’m thinking Gabriel Macht from Suits would be an excellent choice!