Jane the Virgin Michael Shot

Jane the Virgin Season 3: Michael's Been Shot! — What Happens Next?

TVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next?” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes.

Has the worst come to pass on Jane the Virgin? To those who have long worried that Michael isn’t long for this world — more on that below — it sure seemed like the Grim Reaper had come to claim his victim.

Jane the Virgin Michael ShotAfter Michael finally married his longtime love Jane, his happy ending got cut short in the closing moments of the Season 2 finale when his police partner Susanna was revealed to be the crime lord Sin Rosetro. While the detective made the connection, he didn’t make it quickly enough to avoid getting shot by the evil mastermind. Worst of all, the bullet appeared to have struck him right in the heart. (Talk about a heartbreaking cliffhanger!)

The scene was particularly ominous, given the theory hatched during Season 1 that Michael would meet an early end. (You can thank this line from the narrator for all the speculation: “And for as long as Michael lived, until he drew his very last breath, he never did” stop believing that he and Jane were meant to be together.)

But is Michael’s future as bleak as it seems? Could he make it out alive, with a classic telenovela twist? Or will the CW series make Jane a young widow?

Rewatch the shooting below, then vote on your predicted outcome.

1. I think Michael forgets Jane and Jane has to get him to remember their love <3 Maybe reciting his vows that the audience never heard.

2. Carol C says:

Love the options!

3. Alicia says:

The video does not play. It plays a Hulu ad, then shows a black screen with the CW bug.

4. ndixit says:

It’s a fairly reliable rule of dramas that when a character’s life is left up in the air as a cliffhanger, they generally tend to survive. If the character was to be killed off, their death would be used as a cliffhanger and not as a potential death.

• Oatie says:

^ What about Jon Snow?

• ndixit says:

Hence the ‘generally’….

• Wordsmith says:

That death wasn’t really up in the air – he was 100% properly dead, light gone out of his eyes, the whole nine yards. People just didn’t want to believe it (and for good reason).

• ndixit says:

When main characters die, the execs and the actors usually talk about it after the death. The fact that the execs were asked this question directly and they did not give an answer tells you something. As for 100% dead. No character on tv is 100% dead until they have been buried, and sometimes not even then. One brief shot of him being shot and falling unconscious does not constitute as 100%.

5. Macontosh2000 says:

My money is on he survives but is in a coma for half the season. while in a coma Jane and Raphael get back together, they have sex during mid season finale and the moment they “finish” they cut to Michael waking up (probably with amnesia)

• ndixit says:

Is that what you genuinely think or is it just wishful thinking on your part? Because I can’t imagine any version of Jane having sex with Rafael while her husband is in a coma.

• Wordsmith says:

For some reason, I can totally picture Jane cheating on Michael with Rafael, seeing as it’s only happened a bunch of times already. Remember the seasons are 22 episodes – that’s a lot of time to have an organic change of heart.

• ndixit says:

I think change of heart is one thing, cheating on a comatose husband is another level of despicable all together. I can’t anyone liking Jane if she did that, no matter whether you like her with Michael or Rafael.

• Macontosh2000 says:

That’s what I think will happen but I am 100% Team Michael.

And get back together was probably not the right word for what I think. I think they will get “close” during the 7-9 months (may-December) Michael is in a coma. She will probably be told that the chance Michael would wake up are slim, and her and Raphael just kinda happens, then cut to Michael waking up.

And I do agree with whoever said Michaels heart will stop. I think the ep will open with Michael on the operating table his heart will stop the show/narrator will make it seem like Michael is dead the entire episode until Jane visits him at the end of the episode with the coma reveal.

• Ruth says:

I really don’t want that to happen – I am Team Michael – but I could see it possibly going that way, especially if there was a time jump. If Michael was in a coma a year or two and the doctors said he was unlikely to wake up then I wouldn’t blame Jane for moving on. She shouldn’t have to stay a virgin forever and give up her chance of happiness and more children to wait for a medical miracle.

The only good thing is that I don’t think they will do a time jump because there are so many young children in the story (Mateo, twins, possibly Xiomara’s baby) and you would miss a lot by making them suddenly older. If there’s no time jump I don’t think Michael would be in a coma long enough for Jane to move on.

• Wordsmith says:

I agree. This seems like the most “telenovela” choice they could make.
      (Other than having the gunshot victim turn out to be Michael’s long-lost twin, but they’ve used that gimmick twice already)

• Dude says:

Guys, how many times does the showrunner have to say “Jane made her choice” before it sinks in? It’s not gonna happen.

• Levicorpyutani says:

Jane doesn’t seem like the person who would cheat on her husband while he’s down. That some thing Petra actually did right she stood by raf while he had cancer she only started the affair after he was in remission out of loneliness so if Jane ran back to raf while her husband repeat husband is fighting for his life that would make her no better if not worse than Petra.

6. Karen says:

He better not die. Otherwise I might not be watching anymore! #TeamMichael

7. Bonnie W says:

Hmmm. one of the choices is life changing injury….what if he’s left impotent and Jane remains a virgin.

8. Josh says:

Killing Michael is way too dark for the show. I thought they would do a time jump but with what’s happening with Petra, I doubt they’d go ahead a year or two(because Petra is strong but she’d be insane if she stays in that state for a year)…So I’m guessing he’ll forget everything. Or maybe but in a coma in the first episode. Petra is freed from her thing and than we do a one year jump. Michael wakes up, Jane, who’s been waiting a year, is all excited and BAM he doesn’t remember anything. He’s also changed. He isn’t her Michael anymore but someone new.

Very JtV

9. silverpetticoatreview says:

I think Michael “dies” for a few seconds and then is brought back to life the same as ever. That way the line from season one remains true.

• I agree. I think his heart stops, but then they get it going again. So he “dies” but is revived. Though I also can see an amnesia storyline happening in addition to this. But I am convinced he will die for a few seconds first, no matter what ends up happening after that.

• Rose Nansubuga says:

I like that… Oh.. You bring such hope to my sad heart!!
      Can’t wait to see Rogelio’s reaction when he finds out

10. Amanda says:

I don’t like any option?

11. dean says:

Michael survives, and makes a steady recovery, with no permanent damage. Michael and Jane live happily ever after.

Susanna is a real person, finds out Sin Rostro stole her identity and kills her, then falls in love with Luisa. Susanna and Luisa live happily ever after. ROSE STAYS DEAD THIS TIME LIKE SHE SHOULD’VE THE FIRST TIME!

• kt says:

how do we know that Susanna was a real person??

• Ruth says:

In the episode where Rose “died”, we saw Susannah confront Rose face-to-face in the hospital, so the Susannah character can’t have been Rose-in-disguise in that scene. Also Susannah had a career in internal affairs before coming to Miami so if she was a fake person Rose would have had to plant her in the department years in advance.

• ruee says:

Susannah confronted a fake Rose at the hospital though lol

• macy says:

I think that Mutter had disguised as Rose, after she found out that she was disguised as Louisa. And then they knew it was each other and it was a fake kill with the blue ties. They wanted it to seem like Mutter came.

• Darla says:

Can i vote for that?
      Because that would be great!

12. DoCa says:

Michael dies (thus drawing his last breath), is brought back to life and is a completely new man not in love with Jane.

13. Toni says:

Wasn’t there also a narrator line about him having a long career as a detective?

14. Stephanie says:

I do not think Michael survives because the name of the show is Jane the VIRGIN if he were to survive then he would have sex with Jane because they are already married….and then she wouldn’t be a virgin anymore and the show would be over.

15. kiki says:

Since Rafael is not allowed to do anything but make cameo appearances that make life difficult for Jane, Michael and Petra; I am 100% sure he will survive. I mean if he dies who will save Petra? Who will take down Sin Rostra? Who will we have to compare Rafael to and show how he sucks at EVERYTHING! I mean seriously if Michael dies that would make boring season 2 a complete waste of time. I am sure we will have a scene where everybody but (can’t do anything right Rafael) will have on Team Michael t-shirts sitting in Church praying. Cut scene to a Angel (Petra because she had a hard pregnancy that helped her see the light and change her life) is shown convincing Michael that he needs to live to save everyone…even can’t do anything right Rafael..because we have to make sure that no matter what happens we under stand that Michael is a good guy..

16. Ana says:

I think Michael will survive but he’ll fake his own death to end sin roster and during that time Jane and Rafael will get back together and Michael will come back at some point and it’ll create a big dramatic thing

17. Sandra Bowman says:

I personally am team Rafael. I think that as many times as they mentioned loving each other till death do they part is a huge hint here. Also the snow globe and flash backs to the times they kissed “in the snow” have a huge impact here too seeing as the snow globe breaks as Micheal gets shot. I feel it’s a symbol of their love breaking. I feel that Micheal dies and now Rafael and Jane are left. I don’t think it will happen right away but I think slowly they begin to get close. Yes killing Micheal is not ideal but it wouldn’t be interesting if Rafael was completely out either. At first I thought maybe later Jane would again build feelings for Rafael but couldn’t figure out why but now I feel that with losing Micheal she will turn to Rafael for comfort and a friend.

• T says:

I’m team Raf as well. I think he will eventually end up with Jane. Michael has always been to perfect and boring for me.

• Sab Lee says:

Yas glad to see some team Raf members!

• Tamiko Ramsey says:

I like Michael but I’m Team Rafael.

• Darla says:

I believe that Rafael should stay with Petra. With Jane he was dull, depressing and a little selfish. Since they broke up and he helped Petra he acted as a grown man and he is now smiling and making jokes, so i liked him better now, same as Petra. And being realistic the only thing that Rafael and Jane had in common is Mateo.
      So i hope they will be together because they have potential to be the best couple in the show.
      So i hope that Michael will return with his wife and Rafael stays with the mother of his twins, the one who really make him be a better person and character

18. Rosalie says:

Michael will make a full recovery and continue with Jane as husband and wife

19. Please make Michael survive pleeeeeaaasssseeeeeeeeee
    I beg you and make a thousand more seasons please🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻😥😪

20. Please save Michael 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻👦🏼

21. Ruth says:

We haven’t seen where or how Rose left Michael yet… maybe she will change his face somehow so that when they find the gunshot victim they don’t recognise him, and if he has amnesia he won’t be able to tell them his name. Or they could find a dead body that looks like Michael, but it’s really a random person and the real Michael has been kidnapped by Rose.

I just want Michael to be ok and be happy with Jane for a while, and one of the other characters to supply the drama for a bit.

• Rachel says:

The only thing with the first one is someone must have heard the gunshot and immediately come out to see what happened, I mean, Michael was shot in the hallway of a busy hotel!

22. Carmen says:

I think that some how the priest was fake put in from sin Rostro so Jane and Michael are not really married. On season two there was very little between Jane an d Rafael that’s why season two didn’t do as good as season one I still watch season one I have no interest in watching season two I won’t be buying the DVD. Jane and Michael are boring no chemistry between them. I dont want Michael to die because I like him but not with Jane. I think he has chemistry with Petra them falling in love would be a good story line. As far as xo and Rogelio the baby should be his it will make no sence if it’s Esteban because he isn’t a carrecter on the show.. I don’t even like him at all!! Also it and Rogelio should be nicer to Rafael I don’t like the way they treat him . Jane and Rafael are my favorite’s also Rogelio,Mateo and Elsa and Anna. Jane told Rafael that she will help him raise the twins . Team Rafael for ever!! I hope season three is about Rafael and Jane after all they are the two main carecter’s on the show!!

23. Sav says:

Michael dies, Raf comes in and sweeps Jane off her feet and she then falls madly in love with Raf and Mateo, Jane and Raf live happily ever after!

• carmen says:

Yes yes yes ! except I don’t want Michael to die I like him but not for Jane. I want xo baby to be Rogelio which would make since because Esteban is not a regular cast member. The writers have to understand that Rafael and Jane are great together the best couple on tv.
      They should do a story line about petra and Michael I like them together. Team Rafael!!
      I hope that the priest was a fake send by Sin Rostro and their not really married. PEOPLE MICHAEL IS NOT THE MAIN CARECTER IT”S RAFAEL!!!!

• Sab Lee says:

YAS TEAM RAF

• Kikster123 says:

Team Rafael all the way I totally agree with the twist of Michael staying alive but not being with Jane but being with Petra and rafeal and Jane get back together not right away but slowly and the reason Michael won’t be with Jane is because will forget his love for Jane and he is a different person.also annezca could be working with sin rostro that’s why she put Petra in the hospital and changed her hair and accent and her mother too because her mom new that she was pretending to be Petra so she could be working with sin rostro too

24. Akachukwu says:

If Michael dies, I am done with the show

25. Cynthia Johnston says:

I think Jane and raffel belong together. I never liked micheal he’s to wimphy I’ll be glad If he dies so Mateo and Jane and raffel can be back togethor as a perfect family

26. Carmen says:

This is what I think should happen. Before they got married rose kidnapped Michael and put an imposter in his place which means that Michael is not dead. Then Jane and Rafael fall in love they get married and puff Michael comes back and finds Jane happily married to Rafael. So the one that rose killed was the imposter because if u remember season one rose really cared about Rafael and she new how much Rafael loved Jane. Now that’s a telenovela lol. This would couse so much drama for Jane Rafael and Michael . The endgame should be Jane and Rafael. Throughout all this drama Michael and Petra should fall in love..

27. Lolololol says:

NOBODY VOTE FOR MICHEAL DYING!!! HIM AND JANE ARE PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER AND THEY BELONG TOGETHER. THEY JUST GOT MARRIED AND JANE WAS GONNA FINALLY LOSE HER VIRGINITY. HAVE A NICE DAY!

28. Jessica says:

I believe that even though Michael got shot in the heart he should survive it because Jane and Micheal are meant for each other and they finally were happy until Michael got shot I cried people please let him survive and be with Jane. You can do whatever you want with the other twisted drama but let him live and be with Jane!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Ragna says:

There’s no option like “The Bullet missed his heart” or “He had something under his shirt”…

30. Rachel says:

I am really hoping Michael lives, and I do think he will. First of all, though it is expected that it would, being shot in the heart doesn’t automatically mean death, especially if treatment is quickly given. Remember, though the gunshot was silent in the episode, that was just for effect. He was shot in the hallway of a nice hotel, surrounded by rooms with people staying in them. Many people must have heard (including Jane) and rushed him to the hospital. As for the possibility of a coma, that is very unlikely. I’m not sure if it’s even possible, but it is definitely rare. A coma is typically caused by a head injury. Yes, it’s possible they might just put him in a coma, I mean, yes it’s a tv show. However, those are the facts of what would happen in real life. I highly doubt he will be in a coma. Death is more likely, but knowing the show, I think Micheal will be just fine, with lots of recovery time in the hospital. I’m a huge Team Micheal supporter so I’m praying that happens. Also, if Micheal is going to die, it’s not going to be instant. If anything, there will be at least an episode of him before he dies. I can’t wait for season 3 to know what happens though. I’ll be biting my fingernails until then.

31. Carmen says:

Please let him b dead I can’t stand him he is so boring. He isn’t even the main carrecter’s it’s Rafael. I don’t like when the crew said we r all team Michael. If she stays with him their won’t b a season three didn’t the writer see how season two rating weren’t as good as season one that’s because the fans prefer Jane with Rafael all the way. Jane has zero chemistry with Michael so if she loses her virginety to Michael how boring would that b to the fans!!!!!just like Rafael with Petra no chemistry there either I hope the twins r Scott’s . I read that Jane night have a baby with Michael please noooooo. I’m sorry but Jeannie has no idea how to write for a telenovela. I could think of so many ways of how season three should b. It won’t b Michael and. Jane that’s for sure !!!

32. Kate Lea says:

Would The show really kill off Michael?? After all they did to build up with him and Jane? Although this seems hard to comprehend, you could clearly see that the gun shot went to his heart, which would most likely end in death…… What would we do if he did die? (sit patiently while she moves on to Rafaiel perhaps……)? I can’t frakkkin wait for the next Season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This show sure knows how to leave you on a cliff hanger……..

33. #TEAM RAFAEL says:

HE GOT SHOT IN THE FRAKKING HEART FROM CLOSE RANGE GUYS! Unless he was wearing a bullet proof vest he’s going to die. Sorry team Michael. Even if he did survive (by some miraculous reason) he wouldn’t go into a coma or lose his memory he got shot in the heart and that wouldn’t affect his brain. I think atleast that’s how it works.

• esander1 says:

But but this is a soap opera, so that defies rules of “by some miraculous reason”. Comas, imposters, medical phenomenons are totally fair game in tela nouvellas right? Sorry, to be disagreeable, but I want him to at least survive :'(

34. Jenni says:

I can feel that Michael has an evil side to him that Jane isn’t seeing. He’s crooked and for himself. Yes he loves Jane, but it’s obsessed love. Jane will realize one day that Rafael has changed for the good of his family and he will never give up on Jane. Petra will never really change her ways and be killed by her own antics. Jane will finally realize she’s been in love with Rafael the whole time (come on, who wouldn’t be ) who sells the hotel to get out of the drama and they move somewhere quiet where Jane could write while they raise thier happy family(all 3 babies)
    #TEAMRAF&JANE
    #ONECANDREAM

35. Catherine says:

Sorry Michael…but I’m rooting for Jane and Rafeal! I wish they end up together.

36. maxwell says:

michael survives and stays in a coma for like few months then retures with full memory to jane

37. Alicia says:

Although it would be convenient for Rafael (after a respectful mourning period for Jane) for Michael to be dead, the very BLACK blood spurting from his heart (never seen blood like that before!) suggests to me that he had a pen tucked into his undershirt. Where would he store a pen, you ask? Okay, silly theory here, but it IS a telenovella with people ripping off their faces and all, so any theory really isn’t that far-fetched. We know Rogelio has gotten into the habit of having pockets sewn into his briefs. As Michael’s “best bro for life” and wedding planner, it would be like him to insist that Michael do the same for his wedding day. And like Michael to appease him by consenting to put one someplace a tad less intimate. So he may still be hurt, but the bullet could have deflected off the pen.

Just a crazy theory…Really I’m just hoping Michael’s really alive, because it’s supposed to be a funny show, people! It would be juuuust a little cruel to do that to Jane…oh, who am I kidding, it would be cruel to do that to Team Michael! :-)

38. Hi my name is Jaide and me and my Jane the Virgin team well crew was talking about why did Michael get shot right In the heart? That just messed up the hole tv show now I don’t even want to watch it because of Michael he made the whole tv show better

39. Darla says:

I hope he will be back again as the guy he used to be. This season final was the first time that i loved every single main character. Rafael was selfish and dull when they were together, now he changed a lot thanks to Petra, he is mature and funny and they complement each other in a perfect way.
    I hope that Rafael will save Petra and realise that she is the right woman for him. And Jane and Michael will be back together. Maybe it will take a few seasons, but i hope it will end up that way.

40. Beth Pace says:

I think the show will portray Michael as dead but is really working undercover to stop Sin Rostro once and for all. He doesn’t tell Jane that he has faked his own death leaving Jane to believe she is a widow who turns to Rafael for comfort. Michael returns and Jane is angry with him because she has unnecessarily grieved his death.

• esander1 says:

That seems like a legitimate theory. Considering how committed Michael has been to this case, he might just to that if there’s any chance to finally get it solved and over with. Then maybe he can return to Jane and not have to worry about Sin Rostro. Of course, Jane might grow closer to Rafael during that time, too. For this show, that idea makes sense.

41. Shylie says:

I think Michael should maybe die cause I want jane to be with Rafael. Don’t get me wrong I like Michael but Rafael is her baby’s daddy and Rafael is hot. I just want to see the first episode of season 3 so I know what is going to happen. 😢😢😢

42. Alexis says:

I was just so happy that they were finally married and Jane was gonna do it. This plot twist really sucks because netflix is not going to have it for like another 2 months!!!!!

43. This is a note to the Jane The Virgin final episode plus. I love this writers amazing talent. I don’t knoe if there will be more seasons to follow but am hopeful. I would so love to see it end with a final episode of the narrator of this series being revealed. It could go so many ways with who the narrator could be but I think it would be a great surprise ending if the narrator was an adult matoes who was telling the great love story of his parents Jane & Raphel who have now grown old together & a final reveal of the Rojelio & Xo also married an elder & a grown child they conceived after Jane all sitting around listening to there precious Mr. Sweet face tellung the story because his uncle, Rojelo & Xo’s child was curious & wanted to know the storybof his family. —–I love to write & pray to someday be able to posses 1/4 of this wri

44. Yay says:

I want Michael to still be alive and I want it to be #Rafeal+Jane.

45. Love is Real says: