Fall TV Preview
Supergirl Season 2 Superman

Supergirl: Superman to Show His Face in Season 2 (Start Casting Frenzy)

Superman is finally putting in a little face time on Supergirl.

TVLine has learned that the drama’s forthcoming second season (now on The CW) will feature the introduction of Kara’s famous cousin, Superman. According to Warner Bros., “The iconic character of Superman will first be seen visiting his cousin Kara in National City at the beginning of the series’ second season.” Casting for the iconic role is underway.

In a statement, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “[Exec producers] Greg [Berlanti], Ali [Adler] and I are beyond thrilled to welcome Clark Kent and his slightly-more-famous alter ego to the world of Supergirl. Superman will be appearing in the first two episodes of the new season and we cannot wait to see who next dons the red cape!”

Tom Welling’s name will likely be bandied about as a potential Man of Steel, although the Smallville actor recently dismissed such buzz. “There are people who would like it, there are people who [wouldn’t] like it,” he told BuzzFeed in January. “But I will tell you that no one has ever actually asked me to do it. So I don’t know. It would be kind of odd. I don’t know who he is at that point. He would obviously be Superman.”

Superman made a handful of appearances during Season 1, but his face was never shown. Additionally, a young Kal-El (played by Daniel DiMaggio) turned up when Kara imagined herself back on pre-explosion Krypton.

Supergirl will be air Mondays at 8/7c this fall on The CW.

1. stephon js says:

About time

2. em chicago says:

Too bad Brandon Routh is already playing Atom

3. AnnieM says:

Please be Tom Welling.

• Lois Kent says:

Yes! Please!

• Kimo says:

Tom Welling would be great!!! (And if they needed Lois Lane, Erica Durance is a Canadian gal and might still be in Vancouver after starring in Saving Hope). Both Brett Dalton and Ryan McPartlin would work, but please, not Matt Bomer. He was terrific in White Collar, but much too skinny for Superman. Tom Welling would be such a treat for us Superman fans!

4. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, they talked about him constantly in season one so he may as well have a face.

5. Drew says:

Chris Wood.
    Chris Wood.
    Chris Wood.
    He was so good on Vampire Diaries and Containment, and TV needs more Chris Wood. And after guesting on SG then give him a lead role in another show.

6. Mallory says:

I don’t watch the show so I don’t know how old Superman is expected to be…but, hello Matt Bomer!!!!!!

7. Azerty says:

It would have been really stupid to keep going on like they did in season 1 with the text messages. As much as I would love to see Tom Welling back on that universe I am confident that if they offer him the job he won’t do it, he has never wanted to be Superman and even in the finale episode of Smallville he wasn’t wearing the cape. But I am very curious to see who will be casted.

• JimC says:

I would hope that Welling would at least consider it….Hollywood hasn’t been exactly beating down his door since Smallville ended.

• M3rc_Nate says:

Ya cause staring in and producing (his producing company) a network drama is small beans…deadline.com/2015/12/tom-welling-star-produce-section-13-action-drama-cbs-1201651493/

• luv2cook says:

Except it didn’t get picked up. I was seriously bummed about that. As much as I love Welling, I don’t see him doing this. He was always adamant about the no tights clause during Smallville’s run.

8. alistaircrane says:

Can he bring his wife Lois Lane with him? She’d be a great addition to the cast since Cat likely won’t be around full time.

9. crc says:

Since it’s on the cw now definitely Tom

10. Phun says:

AWESOME NEWS!

11. Michael Littlefield says:

Tom’s already part of the CW lore. And as long as it’s only a few times per season I don’t know why he and they couldn’t do it.

12. Montie says:

Obviously Tom Welling. He’s not too old to play SuperMAN.

13. ABG says:

I’m on episode 8, just recently started the show, and the constant Superman references are painful. Just show him and get it over with.

14. Azerty says:

Also I am really wondering how it is possible since the DC movies seems to be responsible for the disapearance of some characters they want to use in future movies (Deadshot, Waller, the famous Harley Quinn cameo, etc.) to avoid confusing the fans, so how Supergirl is allowed to have Superman who is the first one that started to DCMU?

• guywhocomments says:

Well DC films have a new head honcho, Geoff Johns, who’s also heavily involved with the shows. Maybe this signals a bit of a change in terms of the “You can’t use movie characters!” policy

• Jake says:

I think it is because Superman is already a really popular character that wouldn’t be confusing, while Suicide Squad members are more unknowns. Either way I think it is stupid that they had to crush the plans for the suicide squad. Could have had some very different seasons

• Pearl says:

Probably because
        DC just realized they are in a bit of a trouble with their movie world, while their TV world is well established, so maybe, instead of shooting themselves in the foot by forbidding characters that are in the movies to recur in TV, they might as well make sure that at least one part of their world stays profitable, specially if they have a massive loss on their next movie.

15. abz says:

MATT BOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

16. SassyAF28 says:

Tom welling please

• JenJ says:

Tom Welling! There is an interview on You Tube from a show he did a few months ago where he said he was never asked. He did not say anything about not wanting to play Superman. It sounded to me that he wouldn’t be opposed to it. So, CW, talk to Tom, Now!

17. Amanda M. says:

Ryan McCartan (he may be too young, though) or Matt Bomer

18. Ann says:

Matt Bomer!!!

19. Courtney Larson says:

I’d love to see a relative unknown in the role. Stunt casting isn’t what the show needs. When that’s the case, it doesn’t bode well for where the show’s ratings are.

20. Gail says:

The problem with Superman is that he will overshadow Supergirl. You already have people asking for Lois Lane. It will be interesting to see how the show handles Superman’s appearance so that he doesn’t overshadow Supergirl .

• Kevin Fowler says:

Oh stop! Listen, the only reason people are going to watch Supergirl is if Superman is in the show on regular basis. All first season the only thing the fans were talking about is when are we going to see Superman. And I bet you $100 dollars that is the main reason the ratings were so low during the first season. If you do a show about Supergirl then Superman has to in that show on regular basis because the fans expect c and want it. And because Superman & Supergirl are supposed to be really close.

21. Wordsmith says:

Okay, Math Time!
    In the pilot, they state that Kara was 13 when she left Krypton and was then trapped in Phantom Zone stasis for 24 years, meaning that baby Kal-El aged to about 11 or 12 years older than Kara during that time.
    I don’t recall if they’ve explicitly stated Kara’s current age (she seems younger than Melissa Benoist, who is actually 27), but essentially they’re looking for an actor who looks like he’s in his mid- to late- 30’s

22. I really love my timeline’s suggestion of Brett Dalton and want it like burning but that’s unlikely to happen.

23. Shaun says:

The guy who played Derek on Teen Wolf XD

24. spindae2 says:

David Boreanaz or Daniel Gillies! Both shows moved to midseason.

25. Luis says:

It would be a great piece of symmetry, and Tom definitely didn’t say no

26. texmike says:

I vote for Tom!!!!!

27. dmac says:

According to worthless James Olson, Supergirl can do everything better then Superman so they have basically dumbed him down already so what’s the point?

• Jason says:

You sound like one of the “anit-sjw” neckbeards that are still upset james is black and SG dares to show feminism

• AnnieM says:

Personally, I was disappointed that JO was cast as a hot guy. i couldn’t care less about him being black, but Jimmy Olsen is supposed to be *nerdy*, not look like he fell off the cover of GQ. So, what do they do? They bring in Wynn to fill the ‘nerd’ part. It just made no sense. *shrug* I still like the show, though.

• Osiris says:

When was the last time Jimmy was nerdy on live action TV? You have to go all the way back to the 1950s to find a nerdy Jimmy on TV.

28. Riana says:

Maybe Taylor kitsch could do it. It would be good to revive his career.

29. Chris says:

As cool as it would be to have Welling on there, I feel like they sort of can’t do it now since not only is Kara not Laura Vandervoort (sorry if I butchered her last name) but she was already on the show as someone else. It wouldn’t feel right, they should just go with someone else.

On the other hand, Smallville fans do deserve to see Welling in the freaking suit since the original show only had him in CG a billion miles away or camera close ups that didn’t go below his nose.

30. I would like to see Tom Welling, but Laura Vandervoort played Kara in Smallville. They didn’t want to cast Laura as Kara in the first place, so they might head in another direction than Tom Welling. Matt Bomer seems too famous at this point to guest star on a CW show.

Chris Wood would be good, yet slightly too young.

Brandon Routh would’ve been amazing, were he not already playing another DC character on the CW.

What about Matt Dallas? I think he’s perfect for it.

• AnnieM says:

I thought Laura Vandervoot was never in the running for SG, as she’s already the star of her own series, ‘Bitten’. The more I think about this, the more bummed I’ll be if it’s not Tom Welling they choose.

31. Ira Bernstein says:

I seem to be in the minority here but I think Supergirl should stand on her own. I like the way it’s being handled now with only tangential Superman connections. She doesn’t need her male cousin to make her complete.

• Because they’re family? Because family would help each other when they needed it? Personally when they do stuff like the nuclear missile heading toward National City and Superman doesn’t show up to help out, it seems a bit silly. Not that Supergirl is inferior or needs Superman but because he loves her and would want to help her just like she would want to help him when needed.

32. Tom Welling or GTFO. And, more importantly, Erica Durance too.

Say this whole thing is in the Smallville universe. With the same actress playing SG in Smallville and Indigo in SG, they could explain she was always Indigo and just pretended to be SG for some evil plot we didn’t see in the in-between years. And Smallville already had about 5 Jimmy Olsens.

33. patrickmaloney33 says:

Does this mean we’re closer to getting Green Lantern on television? Because I think Supergirl would be the right show to introduce both the Green & Yellow Lanterns. Honestly, I’ll just settle for the Yellow Lanterns, as long as it’s Abin Sur’s son that will be the Yellow Lantern we are introduced to!

34. Lily says:

I feel that this is testing the waters for a new Superman show. The character is so huge that he WILL overshadow Supergirl no matter what, and they obviously know that. So my theory is that WB isn’t intending to make anymore solo Superman movies at the moment, and so they gave the okay to re-introduce him on television, this time to correct the character from how bad he was butchered by the current movie universe. If people like the guy they choose, there’s going to be demand for him to have his own show, imo. And I think they know all this, so it could be what they’re planning.

35. Nelsonc says:

TOM WELLING please god yes!

36. Max says:

Cheyenne Jackson certainly looks the part. As does Matt Bomer. I’d be happy with either one.

37. Mack says:

What about Josh Henderson?

38. Da True Adam says:

Matt Bomer or Welling!

39. e. says:

Tom Welling or nuthin’! Seriously though, the truth is a CW return to one of the guys who made the WB/CW. That would be marvelously circular.

40. MattySi says:

It has to be Tom Welling! That is the only option. BUT, if not him, Matt Bomer would be a fantastic choice.

41. It would be interesting if it IS Tom Welling. He would NOT be the same Clark we followed for 10 years on Smallville. If they use Welling, then they acknowledge that Smallville exists on a different Earth, which is actually kind of cool, but it would confuse people though.

I just hope they cast Superman WELL. What I believe is going to happen is that the writers are going to put Snyder to shame by making this version significantly better than the movie version.

My hopes are that Superman will not be made weaker to make Kara appear stronger. The use of Superman should be something where he retains being a strong character, but they help each other. The use of the character was not very good in the finale. He was like Wile E Coyote, and it was pretty weak. But now that they can use him, maybe in a multi-villain scenario, they are free to make a good story.

• E. D. Boddy says:

I don’t know all the multi-verse details, but is there an Earth where Clark Kent NOT from Smallville?

• Actually yes, but that’s not what I’m talking about. When I say Smallville, I mean the TV series called Smallville, not the town from the fictional universe. It’s safe to assume that there is a Smallville on Kara’s Earth, and Clark was raised there. What I mean is that Kara’s Earth cannot possibly be the same Earth that the TV series Smallville took place on. For one, that show had a different Oliver Queen and a different Kara.

42. TJ says:

Heck, for continuity purposes, why not get Henry Cavill!

43. It would be funny if Brandon Routh was cast. I actually liked him as Superman. But I doubt he could do it since he’s already on Legends.

44. Nicole says:

Bring back Dean Cain!!!!

• AnnieM says:

Since we found out his Dad character is still alive, I think they’re already planning that. :-)

• JenJ says:

BTW, I don’t know if anyone’s noticed that the blurred photo of Superman at the top of this page is Dean Cain’s Superman. Funny. LOL.

• Nicole says:

I noticed it immediately and thoughts they were going to announce him as Superman. I know he is older but in my eyes, he will always be the ultimate Superman. I used to love watching his show!

45. P. S> says:

Welling would be perfect. Superman TV and movie producers have always brought back actors from previous Superman incarnations. The most recent is Dean Cain and Helen Slater playing Kara’s foster-parents. Smallville fans would finally see Welling in the Superman costume.

46. Jared says:

Why not just cast Tom Welling? He will ALWAYS be Clark to me and would love to see him back on The CW.

47. Summer says:

Matt Bomer.

48. Don’t forget Brandon Routh is already there and easily available as well. Either him or Tom. (And while they’re at it, bring back Alan Ritchson as Aquaman.)

• JenJ says:

I love Brandon Routh, but he’s already on Legends. And with the planned 4 show crossover upcoming this season, that certainly wouldn’t work for him on Supergirl. My vote goes to Tom. I’ve been waiting to see him as Superman for Years!

49. Ed says:

If they do a cameo with Henry Caville as Superman to support the DC properties, then they will have broken through a barrier that Marvel hasn’t crossed. That would be bold and get everyone buzzing for sure! (and yes, expensive ha ha)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

But… SHIELD has had Samuel Jackson, Jamie Alexander, Cobie Smulders on… to name a few…. Unless, of course, you are talking about crossing over a Main Hero.

50. jonathan27lew says:

As a long time Smallville fan, I’d love it to be Tom Welling. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will start a riot if anyone besides Henry Cavil plays Supe. Thing is, Henry is such a damn nice guy, if it was a short enough stint, he’d probably do it.