Outlander Photo Season 2 Finale Brianna Roger

Outlander Finale: The Future Arrives (With Bree and Roger!) in Extended Episode, Plus: See First Photo

It’s one small step for Claire, one giant leap back to the source material for Outlanderkind.

The moment fans of Diana Gabaldon’s novel series have been waiting for — the introduction of Brianna and Roger — will happen in the 90-minute Season 2 finale, Starz announced Monday.

Spoilers ahead, so bail out now if you don’t want any inkling of what’s to come.

The July 9 season-ender (9/8c) will flash forward to 1968, as Claire visits Scotland with her 20-year-old daughter, Brianna (played by Sophie Skelton). There, the pair will meet a grown-up Roger Wakefield (played by Richard Rankin) — heretofore known as the little boy hanging around the Rev. Wakefield’s home in the 1940s — and Claire will visit places from her past in an attempt to make peace with what happened.

Finally, Claire will reveal Bree’s true paternity (as book readers know, she’s Jamie’s kid), while the 1960s revelation is intercut with scenes from the day of the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Per the official synopsis: “When Jamie’s last-ditch attempts to deter The Prince fail, he and Claire come up with a dangerous plan — which Dougal overhears, inciting him to a murderous rage. Jamie must do everything he can to save the ones he loves, even if it means saying goodbye to some — or all — of them.”

Dragonfly in Amber, the book on which Season 2 is based, using Claire and Bree’s trip to Scotland — and the revelation that happens there — as a framing device to tell the story of the Frasers’ experience trying to stop the Jacobite Uprising. Executive producer Ronald D. Moore chose to tell the start of Season 2 in a more straightforward manner.

Peruse the the first photo from the episode above, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. July Lark says:

Meeting Brianna and Rogers means 20 years of heartbreak for Jamie and Claire and 1 year of heartbreak/waiting for season 3 for the rest of us. boo, hiss

2. Alichat says:

I was wondering when we’d tie the beginning of the book to this season. I was thinking we’d see them in more than one episode, but it sounds like that’s all we’re getting of Bree and Roger for now.

3. mj beck says:

How about Kevin Zegers as Lord John?

4. Tully Ehlers says:

OMG, it’ll so heartbreaking, and beautiful at he same time…

5. I have to admit when I read the books (currently reading The Fiery Cross) and started DIA I thought I missed something… because that book STARTED with Brianna and Claire in Scotland. I kept asking my mom if i was reading them in the right order. Glad they are coming full circle and ending season 2 with the way book 2 began. BUT……it is going to STINK waiting for season 3!!!

• Alichat says:

I had the same issue. Was reading an e-book download of DIA and thought something was wrong with the download. I re-loaded it twice. LOL

• Trish Waddell says:

I’ve reread the series numerous times but for probably the first half dozen times I assumed I was reading them out of order when I read the beginning of DIA. I actually went so far as to write the book number into each book, which I hate to do, but I found it so confusing. I bet we will see season 3 in only 10 months or less!!

• Samantha Muscia says:

I felt the same way! I actually went back to Outlander and re-read the end! I was like, nope, didn’t miss anything, so what the heck am I reading now! Truthfully, I went and read a bit ahead, I was that confused!

6. Diane Urbanec says:

Claire is a white witch now. Obviously she’s forgetting up his back.

7. Ruth says:

Can’t wait!

8. Diane says:

I’m a bit disappointed in the casting for Lord John. I read the series a number of times and it’s clear that Lord John is a pretty lad and then a very good looking man. They’ve made some changes I can live with but some are questionable in my humble opinion.

• Donna Bond says:

LJG will still be a good-looking man. I don’t think you could really tell what the young teen playing 16-year-old John looked like in the scene in the darkeness, with his hair all over the place and being in pain from a broken arm and so forth. I have no doubt they will pick a gorgeous actor to play him as an adult. These casting people know what they’re doing! :D

• linda says:

That young lad was LJG’s younger brother, William.

• Nivole says:

No, that was LJG. Lord John’s name is John William Grey. He introduced himself as William Grey at his foiled assassination attempt.

• Chris Powell says:

I think you are right. Lord John then rescues Jamie from imminent death in repayment for not killing his younger brother.

• Brandy says:

No, lorn john’s older brother Hugh rescues Jamie, to repay the debt of life owed by his little brother.

• Donna Bond says:

It is John’s older brother *Hal*, not “Hugh” who let’s Jamie go in repayment for sparing his younger brother’s life.

But yes. John’s name is John William Grey and he identified himself as “William.” DG explained that he did this, and also adopted a low-country accent, so that “Red Jamie” would not know he was an aristocrat and know how valuable he was. (Also that she changed his name because she wanted to name Jamie’s son Willie and there were already too many Williams, so she added the first name of John).

In the show, though, he identified himself as the second son of Lord Melton, so there goes the whole part about not letting Jamie know his value as a hostage.

• Judy York says:

I agtrr. When the series first started, they were true to the book. Some times, almost word for word. It wasn’t until about 5 or 6th episode that they started to deviate, but it wasn’t much. This season, it’s deviated a lot. I’m somewhat disappointed and would love to see them go back to the book as much as possible.

• janis rawlins says:

I myself have not read the books, so Donna Bond (I couldn’t reply to her she has not button? says Jamie will have a Son??? A son with who, not that nit wit Leary? Please tell me Jamie and Claire are always together? Pretty Please.

9. Alice Callahan says:

Of the few choices for Lord William I think Charlie Hunnam is the best one for the part.

• Brandy says:

Ehhhh NO.

• Donna Bond says:

No…Lord John is supposed to be fine-boned man with soft, almost pretty features. He’s also only about 5’6 or 5’7″. Charlie Hunnam is a big, muscular guy (his bio says he’s 6’1″) and his face is way too rugged.

• Vanessa says:

I totally agree with You,One of the actors who could possibly play LJG would be Hayden Christensen . Lord John is one of my favorite characters

• Samantha Muscia says:

I wouldn’t be able to watch Hayden Christensen without thinking of Star Wars!! Which I love. Plus, I am not sure he is right… isn’t LJG a bit on the short side, I thought he was only like 5’10”. I believe Hayden Christensen is taller than that.

10. sara says:

…at first I thought those are supposed to be Jamie&Claire “20 years later” because Jamie looks about 40 or more in this pic…not the most fortunate angle I guess ;-) but Claire still looks young here…and heartbreakingly beautiful.

• Donna Bond says:

The picture depicts him just before Culloden, when all hope was pretty much lost and he would have been exhausted, starved, and defeated, so yeah — he would look old. ;D

• Dave Allen says:

True – and per Roger Wakefield (in DiA) Claire Fraser “would look the same at sixty as she did when she was twenty”.

Cait Balfe (the Irish supermodel playing the roll) is just shy of 10 years older than her character was when she 1st passed through the stones, and any wrinkles you see on her face are from make-up. Even now, when most photo models are 16-19 years old, the 37-year-old Balfe is the lead model of Saks’ 2016 Spring catalogue.

11. Djthl says:

Dan Stevens should play Lord John. He is blond, has the intensity and sensibilities of Lord John. And he also can play a gay man.

12. Kristi Reed says:

Rupert Friend or Dan Stevens

13. Jann says:

Tom Mison absolutely! With blonde hair!

• Alichat says:

Yes! If Sleepy Hollow had not been renewed, I’d love to have seen him cast as Lord John!

• Peggy says:

Tom Mison is great, but too tall to play Lord John Gray, who is supposed to be a short man but who has “presence”

• Alichat says:

True…he’d be about half a foot too tall…..but I think Mison definitely has the presence. The height doesn’t bother me so much. Caitriona is 4-5 inches too tall for Claire, and Sam is about an inch to an inch and a half too short for Jamie. Angus is supposed to be 6’8″…..taller than Jamie but bulkier.

14. There is one aspect of Jamie and Claire’s relationship that is bothering me. What happened to that “can’t keep my hands of of ye” passion??? The young Lord John Gray observed some Jamie and Claire foreplay and he thought that he was saving Claire from Red Jamie. Other than a kiss on the forhead every now and then, not much heat. Also, it seemed strange that young Lord Gray was dressed like a street urchin. Though young, he would have been in uniform. I’m missing that playful banter that Jamie and Claire do so well.

15. JenE says:

I thought Tom Mison would make a great Lord John, but alas he is trapped on Sleepy Hollow.

16. Gail says:

At least it looks like Jamie and Claire will get back together sooner rather than later. I love the show and the characters. They are spot on.

17. tkaylewis says:

I love Diana Gabaldon’s books. Such a great storyteller. The tv show has been pretty close, most of the time. Hard not to view it without the “book-reader’s eye.” I am anxious to see how they age Jamie and Claire. I enjoy Bree and Roger’s story as well. However, am not interested in a Lord John spinoff. (although I like him in Jamie and Claire’s life).

18. Jane D says:

Dan Stevens totally gets my vote for Lord John! He even looks great in a red coat!

19. Cate says:

Dan Stevens for LJG all the way! I can see him in it now!

20. SHIRLEY STARR says:

How about Adam Campbell for Lord John.

21. Judy York says:

Rupert Friend looks the part. He is also very attractive.

• Judy York says:

Disregard this comment. I only saw one pic of him and thought it was good. When I looked him up on imdb I decided he would not fit the part.

• Dave Allen says:

Judy, you need to be careful with that – Herself did the same thing when Sam was first cast, and she was initially HORRIFIED at their choice (called him “grotesque”). Dr. G. has changed her tune since then. :-)

• Vanessa says:

Hayden Christensen should be LJG!

22. Paula dunnagan says:

I love the look of Neal Jackson. He looks like the Lord John as I pictured him in the book.

23. Jan says:

I would like to see Charlie Hunnam, Tom Mison or Dan Stevens play Lord John.

24. LeeAnn Sundelrin says:

As a longtime fan of the books, having read them when they first came out, I have to say that I am very happy with the job they’re doing….its just not possible to do the books word for word, Diana has done a great job of explaining that, but they’ve stayed true to the books for those of us who have read them and kept it jumping for those who haven’t…..and Welcome to those who are reading them for the first time……

25. Helen Burgess says:

Rupert Friend

26. Ju says:

Please, please stick to the books in future series, for me there is too much deviation from the books, I suppose it’s ok if you haven’t read them, but for those of us who have, the love story between Jamie and Claire is just not coming through .

• Samantha Muscia says:

I think they did a great job in terms of the story of trying to stop Culloden, but I do agree that we have lost a bit of Jamie and Claire’s love story. It has come through in small bits, but it hasn’t been as strong as the book. But it is hard for a book to go to TV or Movie, that simple. They can’t capture everything and I think it was better to stick to the trying to stop Culloden. That is what book 2 is about! I am hoping for lots of passion in book 3!! After 20 years, those two can’t keep their hands off each other!

27. Andrea says:

My pick for Lord John Grey: JJ Feild. He was John Andre on Turn. He’s perfect!

28. Samantha Muscia says:

I will say, I like how Moore did this season. When I started reading Dragonfly in the Amber, I honestly thought I missed something at the end of Outlander. I was SO confused!! But his approach alleviated that, although, it did give away that fact that you knew how season 2 would end, thus dreading the end of it… just like the book!

But, Voyager (or season 3) is my favorite and I can’t wait to see it come to life (even if I have to wait 9-12 months :(!!!!) I wish this season was longer, but I think they did a great job and I can’t wait for the finale Saturday!