Agents of SHIELD Season 4 Preview

S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4: There's a New Director! — What Happens Next?

TVLine hits rewind on the TV season’s biggest “What Happens Next?” finales, then invites you to predict the cliffhanger outcomes.

“Call the Director. We struck out again.”

As if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s shield-may-talbotSeason 3-ending epilogue — which leaped six months into a future where Daisy was now a rogue Inhuman dubbed Quake — hadn’t piqued our interest, those seven words from Agent Coulson to field team colleague Mack provided fodder for summer-long speculation.

Had Coulson abdicate his post atop the super-secret S.H.I.E.L.D. organization in the wake of Hive’s near-annihilation of humankind? Or was his title taken from him, given the too-close-for-comfort, last-minute defeat of the Hydra god?

Yet the why of Coulson’sshield-season-4-director-candidates step down is not as compelling as the who — as in, who are he and Mack (and FitzSimmons, once they’re back from that well-deserved holiday) now reporting to? Is it friend or frenemy? A face familiar to the team, or new?

Rewatch the six-month time jump below, then vote on your predicted pick for S.H.I.E.L.D.’s new Director.

1. Karakk says:

I might actually start watching again if “Grint Ward” became a thing….for the sheer ridiculousness of it. Just go FULL ON absurd (note: I’m imagining “Grint” as a twin sister, with Dalton wearing a wig)

2. Bwhit says:

I would love it to be Sharon Carter but I don’t see it happening so I am thinking it is May. Grint Ward lol…. Wouldn’t put it past them so Brett Dalton can still be there.

3. Dominique says:

i think it’ll be either may or hill, although my money is on may. i’m sure it’ll be talbot though, for whatever stupid reason that might be.
    is there any word on whether brett dalton is gone for good? i mean ward is dead, and so is Hive, but is brett truly gone? i actually thought he might be a part of that Life Model Decoy thing radcliffe was working on.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

In various post mortem Q&As, he sounded quite done. But then again, that “Throne Games” character was “dead,” so…

• Tom says:

No. No more Dalton. We’re finally rid of him, and Lincoln too to boot. Let us rejoice.

• Misscar says:

At the Awesome con panel in DC yesterday Brett Dalton stated many times that his schedule is very free now. Although he did make a joke about coming back as a robot/LMD. He was so much fun Saturday.

4. A says:

Would love so see cobie smulders back on TV, so I’m going to keep my fingers crossed for Director Hill

5. Duke says:

Either Smulders as Hill, or Sam Jackson’s disembodied voice, Charlie’s Angels-style.

• lariet50 says:

I would watch the heck out of “Fury’s Angels.”

• CaptainOats says:

• Greylle says:

Another vote for “Fury’s Angels” – just having that parody element going for in-universe serious/viewer humor would add an entirely new layer that this series could really use. Humor is one of the things that the films have that has been sorely lacking in AoS.

6. Jessica says:

Anyone but brett dalton. It’s enough

7. Hipper says:

I’ll play along and say May.

But honestly, how long will it be before Coulson gets the title back?

8. Jadzia says:

aaaaaand Amy Acker’s The Cellist returns as a super powered immortal InHuman y/y?

9. JP says:

I REALLY wish it was Sharon Carter but I highly doubt it.

10. Red Snapper says:

I hope it is Hill, we haven’t seen her in awhile, but I also think it’ll most likely be Talbot. I think it depends on if S.H.I.E.L.D is still in the shadows. I really hope Ward isn’t truly gone. I kept thinking he’d somehow be brought back by Hive or something ridiculous like that until the end when he and Lincoln were no more. So now I am thinking he’ll be a LMD somehow. I guess I’m not ready to accept that he is truly gone. IMO Ward was a terrible person but a great character.

11. Lily says:

A) Funny Ward Joke, but rest assured, Brett Dalton confirmed that he will not return for season 4 in any capacity.

B) I personally think it will be a comic book character we haven’t seen in the show yet. Perhaps Abigail Brand or Monica Chang? (My money is on her because in the comics, she’s head of SHIELD’s AI division, so it would come at a good time for the introduction of the LMDs.)

C) It won’t be Sharon Carter because she works for the CIA now and Marvel no longer shares their toys-or their continuity, it’s seeming- with AoS.

12. IamD says:

Emily Van Camp would be a great addition to the series, but think May is the more likely candidate to really change the dynamic between her and Coulson. They’re bound to find some way of bringing Brett Dalton back also…

13. kirads09 says:

My money is on Maria Hill, but who knows! Will Bobby and Hunter come back because that spinoff isn’t happening? Just hope that S4 is more “Shield” like mission focused and less “Inhuman” focused. If they want that, just do a spinoff of Daisy and her inhuman team.

14. lariet50 says:

Am I the only one who seriously can’t stand Sharon Carter?

15. clintbrew says:

the new director is either thunderbolt ross or glenn talbot or maria hill

16. Litz says:

My guess is… Dr. Director! Who else has the know-how?

17. JC1 says:

I’m guessing May. I really hope it’s not Talbot – I’ve had enough of him. It’d be awesome if it was Maria Hill, but I’m wondering if they could get Cobie Smulders to commit to that.

18. Tom says:

STOP TRYING TO BRING WARD BACK. He’s gone and rightfully so

19. canadian ninja says:

We are GRINT!!!

20. Steve F. says:

Much as I want to see Emily VanCamp on TV again (and to see if Sharon Carter has a notebook full of names of HYDRA affiliates crossed out…), I don’t think her character has the experience to be SHIELD director just yet. That, plus after her actions in “Civil War,” shouldn’t she be in the clink or something?

Maria Hill should be the new director – and it’ll be good to have Cobie Smulders back on TV again.

21. I bet It’s Monica Chang given the L.M.D./A.I.D.A. setup.

22. Joey Padron says:

Hope Maria Hill is new director. It would be great to have Cobie be back on the show again!

23. Ashley says:

Sharon Carter! We need Emily VanCamp on TV every week.

24. Simone says:

I immediately thought May, when the comment was made. She’s the next logical choice for Director of Shield, I think :)

25. Big Cheese says:

You guys have all drank the writer’s kool-aid. HAVE YOU ALL FORGOT ABOUT NICK FURY?!?!?! He’s still alive and he will be back for the big budget movies, the show will return to it’s season 1 hierarchy. derrrrr

26. Y’know, Michael Emerson (Finch on POI, Linus on Lost) is out of a job. I think he’d be an awesome SHIELD director.

• J .Gergich says:

y’know after Root died because of Finch I really don’t want to see Michael anywhere for awhile. Who knows what if they’ll kill another woman again to make his another character take action.

27. Timmay! says:

I’m thinking Sharon Carter. First, because they need new blood on the show after getting rid of Bobbi and Lance, Grant Ward/Hive, Lincoln, Raina, Andrew, and Tripp over the last two seasons. Second, Emily VanCamp isn’t above doing TV seeing as how she was the star of Revenge and starred on Brothers & Sisters for a bunch of years. Thirdly, and lastly, she has absolutely nothing in pre-production/filming for the next year according to IMDB. I know IMDB shouldn’t be viewed as iron-clad, but they are typically on top of any upcoming roles. Plus, it’s Agent 13…c’mon!

28. Dj says:

I would want Carter or Hill, but due to the TV/Movie thing I don’t think that will happen. I don’t want May as I feel her character fits more as pulling the trigger then giving a kill order.

29. Misti says:

– I don’t think it’ll be Sharon Carter, as much as I’d love that, based on events of Civil War.
    – I think my first choice would be Maria Hill, but I’m not sure they’d bring her to tv in a full-time (or at least multi-episode) manner.
    – May would make the most sense, since she’s already a series regular.
    – At the same time, it all depends on what The Powers That Be want to accomplish with the director. If they want to distance SHIELD from previous leadership, then they have to stay away from either Hill or May… which kind of suggests Talbot.
    – Maybe FitzSimmons are sharing the Director title? :)
    – But I’d pay good money to see ginger-haired Grint Ward. ;D

30. mephistopoles says:

I am hoping for several reasons the “new” director is Fury, Nicholas J. When Fury left at the end of “Winter Solider” he said, “… seems like all of Hydra didn’t go down in the Potomac. I’m off to Europe… and again at the end of Ultron, “…you like the view Romanov? It’s about to get better…I called in a few favors and pull her out of mothballs with a few friends, she’s dusty but she’ll do…” Who owes him “these favors” , who are these “few friends” and how were they able to do what they did so timely (without the bureaucratic red tape we find in all the other Marvel offerings, except Netflix that have anything remotely to do with SHIELD, the Avengers or anyone connected with them? It would also be a good Segway into the return of Sam L. Jackson and the idea that neither SHIELD nor Hydra have gone completely from the MCU. Excelsior!

31. Blahdeblah says:

I vote for one of the Koenigs! That would be funny. He’d probably still be at awe with Coulson yet still try to act professional.

32. phadreusmephistoples says:

I hope “the new director” is Fury, Nicklaus J. mostly because SHIELD just like HYDRA should not just go away, which the TV show obviously says and quite loudly. Also, the move Fury made in Age of Ultron; “I got her out of moth balls with a few friends. She’s dusty but…” There was a rumor Al Pacino wanted make an appearance in a Marvel movie. This would be a great opportunity to ‘create’ a new character along the lines of DC’s Vandel Savage but a much more “good guy” dealing with what is actually an agenda of trans-cosmic proportions.

Marvel’s “Infinity War” which I do hope the Russo brothers change the title should be a trilogy and shot is a similar fashion to how “Back to The Future”, “The Matrix” and “Lord of the Rings”.
    I think this would successfully close out the movies which “started us down this path” and Marvel could concentrate on other projects while they find competent actors and actresses to take over the roles the currents ones have definitely defined as their own.

So yeah, I hope the director is Nick Fury and I also hope we are not going to spend the entire season trying to get Skye/Daisy back into the fold. Nor is it going to be all about the Inhumans. Marvel has other global, cosmic and inter-dimensional threats they can invoke so the introduction of the Black Bolt and the true Inhumans won’t be passe by the time they show up on the big screen (hopefully that hasn’t already happened).

The new director, Fury, Nicklaus J.! Excelsior!

33. mephistopoles says:

Oops! Somehow my comment was posted twice! Apologies

34. Cynthia says:

Grint Ward is absolutely hilarious Matt! I wouldn’t say no to that idea but my money is on Melinda May :0)
    Thank you for the great laugh!