The Good Wife Spinoff

Good Wife Spinoff: EP Teases Possible Julianna Margulies Appearance

Alicia vs. Diane — Round 2?

The recently-ordered Good Wife spinoff — starring Christine Baranski (Diane) and Cush Jumbo (Lucca) and set to launch in Spring 2017 on CBS All Access — may very well feature a guest turn by the original series’ leading lady, Julianna Margulies.

“We might [see Alicia],” exec producer Michelle King told TVLine at a CBS Studios-hosted press event earlier this week. “It’s all being conceived right now.”

As previously reported, the digital-only offshoot — which also counts Robert King and Phil Alden Robinson (Field of Dreams) as exec producers — will pick up one year after Diane KO’d Alicia in the series finale. One thing is certain, per Michelle King: Alicia will no longer be employed at the firm.

“It’ll be fun to build [the company] anew,” she shared, adding that the currently untitled series will likely feature other familiar faces beyond Diane and Lucca. “But also,” King added, “the thinking is new characters.”

Regarding the decision to make Baranski’s seasoned attorney and Jumbo’s upstart lawyer the centerpieces of the spinoff, King explained, “Those were just such compelling characters. It seemed like an interesting way to go.”

In the meantime, fans can get a partial Good Wife fix via Robert and Michelle Kings’ summer political/sci-fi satire BrainDead (premiering June 13 on CBS). Although Michelle concedes that the two shows are “very, very different,” she notes, “You’ll see some of our obsessions, like with politics and humor. It’s there. Just this time, there [are also] bugs from outer space.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. HAP says:

Put the damn show on the network, already!

2. Guy says:

“It’ll be nice to build the firm anew.” I bet, considering they did it like 7 times a season for the final three years! LMAO

3. Em says:

Like damn, how bad must the behind the scenes drama been if they just cancelled the show to get rid of Julianna. Instead of figuring something out, they found a way to continue the show without her. If Julianna isn’t involved, can they bring Kalinda back?

• Lane says:

This! Bring Kalinda Back! Lucca, Kalinda and Diane is the power trio I want to see back on.

• Greg says:

They didnt cancel to get rid of her, thats a bit dramatic. The Kings always said the show would run seven seasons ideally, and they want to continue past their original vision. Also Juliana has stated that she isn’t interested in leading a network drama again because its too much work, so she wanted out just as much as the Kings.

• Imzadi says:

They ended it after seven season, just as they wanted it. They didn’t cancel it, they ended it on their terms. Get over it, Kalinda is not coming back.

• Jeri says:

It’s just that Kalinda and Cary are very missed and got treated badly by the show. Would much rather see them than Alicia.

• It would be cool to see Kalinda again. But I don’t think that they cancelled the show because of Julianna.

4. Sue Cugini says:

I loved the Good Wife and I would love to see this new spinoff, but I am NOT going to pay for another subscription. Between Dish TV and Netflix, I pay enough for home entertainment. If CBS wants this show to gain traction, put it on the network.

• Rusty says:

You are so right Sue Cuginl, I cannot afford to keep paying for DirecTV and Netflix and this and that for entertainment … the tree in my backyard said no more money for you … and refuses to give me anymore money …

5. D says:

I totally agree that they are compelling characters…which begs the question: Why did the writers give Diane Lockhart nothing to do for the last couple of seasons? I get that the main character was Alicia Florrick. But there was so much boring filler the last couple of seasons (the election storylines = snore fest) that they don’t really have any excuses on that front.

6. Tony says:

WHY are they doing this?!! Let THE GOOD WIFE stand on its own in posterity. This is all such a stupid move.

7. nakamura says:

As long as they manage to a) keep Kurt as a recurring character, b) write the fantasy musical episode, c) get Stockard Channing to guest star every now and then, I’m happy and have no interest in seeing Alicia.

8. Yolo says:

This makes no sense! No more Alicia!

9. BillyBobJohnson says:

Don’t care about it. Not going to pay MORE to CBS to watch a show.

10. I’d like to see Kalinda return at the very least a guest star. She made GW a must watch program. Also, the new show needs to be on network television.

11. abz says:

At this point, I’m probably in the minority, given how polarizing Julianna Margulies has become, but Alicia is still one of my favourite characters on television and I so hope we get to see her/JM again on the show. I want to know what became of Alicia after a year. No Jason. No firm. Still married to Peter? (ugh). Is she still close with Lucca now that it seems like Diane and Lucca will be working a lot more closely in the spin-off? Did Eli get her to agree to run for office? I want to know what becomes of her character.
    Side note: I wonder if there will be any tension between Lucca and Diane given that Lucca was the one who led Kurt’s questioning in court. Although, given the slap, Diane probably put the blame solely on Alicia most likely.
    Also would love to see Kalinda again if they could make that happen at some point.

12. David4 says:

So how long until this show and the new Star trek are canceled / moved to a real network or streaming? I’ll be amazed if either last a season on the stupid CBS Access.

13. Andrea says:

My dad and I both loved The Good Wife (minus the ending). I’m sure he’d like the spin-off, but I’m not going to tell him about it. Our family currently pays for Netflix, Amazon, and cable. We use all three, but at some point, enough has got to be enough. Even for those who ditch cable, you can easily spend as much as cable if you replace it from content from the likes of Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starzz, etc If CBS eventually puts it on the network, or sells the rights to Amazon or Netflix, then we’ll watch it. If it only remains on the CBS streaming platform, I’m afraid the spin-off will not be long for this world.

• David4 says:

That’s the point. The networks want your money and can get it through streaming. Cable provides the internet so they can just charge more and more.

14. Babs says:

Why should I even watch Brain Dead when you ended The Good Wife the way you did.

15. theresa bertone says:

I was extremely disappointed in the “good wife finale” I should have not ever watched all the seasons. I expected much more.

16. marguerite says:

Well, this is disappointing. I thought it was supposed to be a Diane Lockhart -focussed spinoff, not just a continuation of the Good Wife which had become sheer drudgery. No more Alicia and other Florricks! And seriously, an all female firm? Diane working amicably with Lucca? Not likely. Let it go already. Give Diane a judgeship. She deserves it. That way she can interact with many law firms giving the writers the opportunity to use many of the guest stars fans liked. Please patch up her marriage to Kurt. I don’t believe they should confirm this alleged infidelity. So tawdry and soapy a story. But do explore his past. There definitely is something going on with him and Holly. I have a few suggestions. But please no affair stuff. This ship was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dark show so would it be too much to ask to brighten our lives a little? As for the online only thing, I have serious doubts this will draw many viewers who are already all tapped out paying for online content. Hopefully if the show manages to be moderately successful (and I also have serious doubts about that given what information we have) it could get picked up by a more mainstream delivery method. Christine B. has some real dramatic acting talent and it would be a shame to not allow her to continue to showcase those abilities. I am not sure why I am so invested in this but I felt really cheated by the Good Wife finale somehow.

17. Lexi says:

I fully expect one of these spin off episodes to be episode 7.23 the real series finale of the Good Wife or I’m not going to pay for it.

18. kath says:

Well, I guess that explains why the character of Bethany died on “Vera” this season — Cush Jumbo got this gig.
    I’ll be glad to still see her and Christine Baranski on my screen.

19. susan says:

I am convinced the Good Wife was cancelled so as to fire Julianna.