The First Wives Club Alyson Hannigan Megan Hilty

The First Wives Club: Alyson Hannigan, Megan Hilty to Star in TV Land Pilot

Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother) and Megan Hilty (Smash) have earned membership in TV Land’s The First Wives Club remake.

The actresses will headline the cable network pilot, written by Rebecca Addelman (New Girl) and executive-produced by Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City), our sister site Deadline reports.

The small screen reboot of the 1996 film, which starred Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn, is set in modern day San Francisco. Much like the movie, the story follows three friends and former ’90s classmates who reconnect after one of their college pals dies in a freak accident. When they discover that they are all at a romantic crossroads, they band together to tackle divorce, relationships and life’s other annoying challenges.

Hannigan will play Keaton’s role Maggie, an English professor and aspiring poet who is struggling to put excitement back into her flagging marriage. After the death of her friend, she is galvanized to leave her husband and tackle life with a renewed sense of adventure.

Hilty will portray Hawn’s character Kim, a formerly successful actress who has “aged out” of Hollywood. The needy and vulnerable Kim works hard to stay gorgeous, while doing cheesy commercials and holding out for that breakout role. She is a divorcee with an eight-year-old son.

What do you think of the castings? And who should play Bette Midler’s character?

1. Steven says:

Ok. I’m sold. Give me a premiere date. I’m ready.

2. Stacy says:

I guess this means Hamish Linklater’s show with Hilty that was supposed to be on TVLand isn’t moving forward. It’s a shame; it sounded so funny.

3. Rebecca says:

I still walk around singing “you don’t own me” in my head.

4. Yolanda says:

Fantastic choice! Now get either Jennifer Love Hewitt, Alicia Silverstone, Stana Katic or Kelly Macdonald to play Bette Midler’s charcter and already order it to series.

5. big cheddar says:

I don’t understand how this is a remake of the movie. The whole point of the original movie was that these were women “of a certain age” who were wronged by their ex-husbands and were seeking revenge on them and starting over again. These two gals are barely in their 40s (I think Megan’s in her 30s).

• Lauren says:

I was just thinking this…what? I love these ladies but they’re way too young! Though I guess by Hollywood standards they’re ancient.

• big cheddar says:

So sad… so true. As much as I love both of these actresses, and would love to see them in a project together, this age thing is really offensive to me.

• Brooke says:

By Hollywood standards, I’M ancient, and I’m younger than they are. It would be interesting if that issue was worked into the plot.

• Pedro says:

You can be wronged by your husband in your mid-thirties. And you husband can leave you for a girl 15 years younger.

• johnhelvete says:

The movie was twenty years ago, and Hawn, Keaton and Middler were all roughly 50-51. I think an argument can be made that it ageism against females has gotten worse in the last twenty years. There have been articles “Leading Men Age, But Their Love Interests Don’t”, I don’t think it is remotely out of the question that 35 year old could be the new age where an actress “ages out” of Hollywood at least when it comes to movie roles. Also a woman does not need to be 50 to have their husband leave them for a 23 year old.

• “How I Smashed Your Movie”

6. phantom says:

Love them both but late twentysomething looking 35 year old Megan Hilty as someone who “aged out of Hollywood” ? If they can make the jokes around that concept very meta and funny – Hollywood’s obsession with youth and apparently being considered old at 35 because twentysomethings are now playing roles written for forty somethings (“cough”Jennifer Lawrence “cough”) – then it could work, I guess.

• HAP says:

I was going to make the same observation but then caught your post. However, as for Jennifer Lawrence, she was actually very good in Joy.

7. Dude says:

these women are barely older than the younger models the original First Wives were competing with.

8. MattySi says:

OMG Yass!! I can’t wait for this. It will be amazing. Please let them record a version of “You Don’t Own Me” for the theme song (or at least just Megan Hilty). I have to know who they are casting for the role Bette Midler originated.

And if the original stars guest for at least one episode would be epic. Doesn’t even have to be the same episode but if it were that would be all the more amazing.

9. Nero tTVFiddler says:

Glad to see Alyson H. back on a series, but I just had higher hopes for her post HIMYM. I know it is tough finding good roles on TV comedies right now, but still, sad that no one seemed to be able to find a role for Alyson on a series with ‘meat-on-it’. Something along with lines of ‘Kimmy Schmidt’ on Netflix (series that NBC turned away).

That’s what broadcast TV needs right now – a comedy built around an actress like Alyson along the lines of ‘Kimmy.’ A ‘Mary Tyler Moore’ type series for the 21st century. Nothing like that at all these days… ‘New Girl’ or ‘Mindy’ would probably be the closet thing, and that’s not really saying much.

10. Lyn says:

Alyson is such a Plain Jane and I can’t stand Hilty, so I’m out. Now if they’d cast Teri polo, Megyn Price and JLo, I’d be right there.

11. Thea says:

Count me in! Excellent casting! Can’t wait to see who’s cast in Bette’s role!!!

12. Cheryl says:

I wouldn’t say that they are too young. I went to my 10 year HS reunion and was stunned to find out one person was on her 3rd husband, some were on their 2nd husbands, and most were at least divorced. It is not unreasonable. Just look at Hollywood and their divorce rates too.

13. keluttcu says: