Doctor Who Lead Offered to Black Actor

Doctor Who EP: Title Role Was Previously Offered to a Black Actor

A black Doctor Who? Not only could it happen, it almost already did.

Executive producer Steven Moffat has told the BBC series’ official magazine that the role has been offered previously to a black actor, but “for various reasons, it didn’t work out.

“I certainly don’t think there’s ever been a problem with making the Doctor black,” he added, “which is why it should happen someday.”

Though Peter Capaldi has held the title since 2013, the show recently tapped Pearl Mackie, whose father is from the West Indies, to play the his companion. And Moffat is enthusiastic about the possibility of having not just a white Doctor but a pair of non-white leads at some point. It “would be amazing,” he said. “In fact, a lot of people would barely notice.”

Unfortunately, Moffat won’t be at the helm when it happens: He is leaving his post at the conclusion of next year’s episodes and will be succeeded by Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch).

Since Moffat declined to reveal the identity of the black actor who didn’t become Doctor Who, we have to ask: Who do you think it was? And who do you think would be the perfect actor of color to take on the role? Hit the comments.

1. David4 says:

The rumored person they had in mind would have been stunning!

2. Spignejr says:

Don’t you mean *Fortunately* moffat is leaving?! Series 5 and 8 were good but 6,7, & 9 were hard to get through.

• Temperance says:

No. Fortunately, most people don’t agree with your assessment of quality – at all. But hey, you’ll get your way soon enough.

• Bark Star says:

Spot on. Moffat leaving is the best thing to happen to the show creatively. Of course, all the shallow and dumb kids will disagree.

• Tom says:

Lol. You don’t like something, and so you call those who disagree with you grade school names. Are you really Donald Trump? lol

3. Mike says:

I liked the seasons Moffat ran the show. The scripts he wrote were a lot better then many of those written by others. I am sad that he won’t be returning. Apologies to Chris Chibnall, but Broadchurch was terrible.

4. Ann says:

They need the guy who played Merlin on OUAT.

5. Liane Tuttle says:

I’d like to see Lou Diamond Phillips be the first non-white Doctor. Or. Even better Jason Scott Lee!!

6. Tom says:

Christine Adams. Non white and female. Boom.

7. Lyn says:

IMO a black Dr. Who, like a black James Bond would be a HUGE mistake.

8. LJ says:

Sir Idris.

• Victoria C says:

I think Idris Elba would have made a great Doctor. It’s too bad that he became too famous to take on the role. Maybe they can do a one off mini series or film with him as the Doctor. Maybe Russell T. could come back to write it (although I had no problems with Moffatt).

9. Hope says:

It will be a fun change when they cast a non-white actor as The Doctor. They should probably find someone of Indian or Pakistani heritage (but British, of course) since there are a lot of people with that heritage in the UK.

Still, I’m waiting for the day they cast a ginger.. And I think Rupert Grint would be a lot of fun in 10 or 15 years.

10. Lorena says:

I dont have a problem with that, but i really want a ginger one… i want Domhnall Gleeson

11. Cory says:

How about a sexy Brit of Middle Eastern descent. That would be awesome. Or one of Spanish descent that would work to. Not that a black actor wouldn’t be great as well but just throwing that out there since people only ever seem to mention “female” or “black” in this discussion. (I wouldn’t mind meeting a traveling female Time Lord and hell give her a spinoff but I don’t want our Doctor becoming a woman, that is just trying too hard to be PC)

• Lyn says:

Why do some people want to mess with he classics instead of embracing new material? What’s next a black Snow White? Pinocchio made of mashed potatoes rather than wood? A female Casanova [or would that just be a slut]? It’s true that there isn’t enough imagination to go around these days, but tampering with great stuff to freshen it up just cheapens it. Maybe we’ll see Wanda Sykes as Capt. Ahab in a reimagining of Moby Dick [oh, and it’s a comedy now]! Enough!

• jtrattray says:

So you think West Side Story should never have been made? Or The Magnificent Seven? The were retelling of classics. And yes we should be re-imaging them as more diverse characters, that’s the world we live in. And honestly seeing straight white tell the same stories gets boring, changing up race, gender or sexuality can change how a story comes across (see West Side Story).

But that is irrelevant when it comes to Doctor Who because the character is meant to change, that’s part of the show. We’ve seen black and female timelords, so there is absolutely no reason The Doctor couldn’t be either.

• Lyn says:

They messed up West Side Story in a spectacular way. Juliet is supposed to die. As for The Magnificent Seven it was a stolen plot from The Seven Samurai which was a stolen plot from King Lear. And that just shows how little imagination exists nowadays. And thankfully, even though House was inspired by Sherlock Holmes it is unrecognizable as such.

12. Bark Star says:

Colin Salmon

13. Lee says:

Totally fed up of all this P.C crap-just leave things!

14. kirads09 says:

I am not necessarily a purist. I watched this past season with Capaldi which was my first experience with Dr Who. Now I am catching up on some Tennant episodes. I could accept any gender or ethnicity as the Dr. After all, he can be anything, right? But I don’t want Capaldi going anywhere soon. I really have fallen in love with his style.

I DO think it should always be a brit. There is ONE American actor who I think who could pull off being a yank Doctor. Kyle MacLachlan.