Fall TV Preview
Code Black Season 2 Spoilers

Code Black Season 2 Cuts Two Series Regulars, Promotes Boris Kodjoe

The doctors are out.

Season 2 of CBS’ Code Black is excising both NYPD Blue vet Bonnie Somerville and Smash alum Raza Jaffrey from its cast, where they played Christa Lorenson and Neal Hudson, THR reports.

Meanwhile, Boris Kodjoe — who joined the freshman medical drama midseason — has been promoted Code Blackto a series regular, as Will Campbell, as has Jillian Murray‘s Heather Pinkney, says Deadline. Other cast additions, including a male co-lead for Marcia Gay Harden, are expected, as the show rejiggers itself to reach a broader audience.

“Bonnie Somerville and Raza Jaffrey are beloved by the audience, as well as the rest of the cast and crew,” series creator Michael Seitzman told Deadline. “Their departure is painful for us, is no reflection on the extraordinary work they both did on the show.”

Code Black averaged 7.1 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating during its 18-episode freshman run — numbers that swelled to 10.2 mil and 2.0 with Live+7 DVR playback.

The series was renewed for Season 2 in mid-May, and will again air Wednesdays at 10/9c when it returns in the fall.

1. Megan says:

Seriously?? The couple you spent an entire season building to? And promoting the jerk that no one likes? This decision makes no sense…

2. Can’t believe the guy I really came to like is dumped for the awful character. Are they keeping Marcia Gay Harden at least?

• MissEllys says:

Yes, Marcia is staying.

• NM says:

Marcia is the lead. They’d be crazy to cut her.

• Iris says:

According to Deadline, “A male co-lead for Marcia Gay Harden is expected to be added”.

• Luis Guzman is the male lead!!!!! Just because his character isn’t romantically involved with Gay Harden’s, it doesn’t make him any less of a lead, IMO.

Also, torally bummed about Sommerville, but never cared for the character of Neil.

• Iris says:

But…but Luis Guzman doesn’t look like and Abercrombie & Fitch model, he can’t be the male lead! And Christa and Neal are too old to be compelling characters or a compelling couple, as this thread proves [sarcasm] T

3. MissEllys says:

I am very disappointed.

4. Rachel says:

Loved this show mainly because Raza was in it, and I didn’t like Boris’s character. Not sure if I’ll keep watching now.

5. kitsunesaru says:

Wow what a bad move. I get wanting an antagonist I guess, but that guy was just annoying and not a good antagonist.

6. ukmitchy says:

Well that’s reduced the chances of me watching Season 2 considerably. Idiotic move.

7. Iris says:

For me, they just cancelled the show. Neal and Christa are my favorite characters and there is no way I will watch without them.

8. Kevin K says:

So sad Bonnie Somerville is exiting Code Black but I’m not happy CBS renewed the medical drama for a second season.

9. Gmom says:

The two characters that I like are going and the asshat that I hate is promoted. Well one show off my “shows to watch list”!!!

10. Tina says:

Ooh. Boris Kodjoe is FIIINNNEEEE tho!

11. Kim says:

That’s Castle stupid!

12. Rachel says:

I am speechless! Have they lost their minds?!? We have to settle for the threesome of duds (Angus, Mario and Heather) and the jerk? Ugh….I thought I was happy for the renewal.

13. candice3150 says:

What??? Besides Marcia and Luis, aren’t these two basically the main characters?? Neal was my favorite! I really liked this show but it I’m not sure I’ll be back now. I really do not understand the thinking here.

14. Jess says:

So, I can take this show off my watch list. Whoever made this decision should be demoted.

• leah says:

agreed
      they spent all season building up to them being a couple
      how are they going to explain their absence
      or is it possible they get killed off in the premiere?

15. Bruce_F says:

Code Black has been going downhill since midway through the first season.
    – The first mistake was taking Marcia Gay Harden’s character out of the ER and making her an administrator.
    – Kevin Dunn, who played the original administrator, was the odd man out when Harden’s character switched jobs. Code Black should have kept him.
    – Then the show added that very boring doctor who was Angus’ brother.
    – The trampy nurse who got Angus hooked on drugs and blackmailed Boris Kodjoe’s character weren’t good creative choices.
    – Cress Williams was wasted on this show. If anything, they should bring him back and take another shot at his character.
    – William Allen Young’s character (Dr. Guthrie) is uncomfortably close to being an offensive trope seeing as how his almost singular function on the show is to impart sage advice to the young doctors. That man deserves better.

These latest changes just seal it for me. I won’t be watching this show again.

• Temperance says:

I agree – CB was fantastic at the start, and then the awful changes started happening. Seriously, they made the two worst, most irritating and unrealistic B-characters we never wanted to see again and made then full time? Wow. I’m out.

• Sarah says:

Agree on every point!!

16. KB says:

I loved them two together, so they at least better have let them go off together……

17. Kristen says:

Wait…WHAT?!

18. Jessie says:

WHAT?! Seriously? I am LIVID. Why renew the show if you’re going to take away 2 of the reasons people watch? ESPECIALLY RAZA.

19. Vi says:

That’s disappointing, 2 of my favorite characters. I also am not fond of Will Campbell, wouldn’t have minded seeing the last of him.

20. Darlene says:

Really why get rid of the cutest guy on the show that has lots of chemistry. You guys are not in tune with ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Darlene says:

Your in tune with no one!!!!!!!!!!!! They were my two favorites and he was eye candy. Sorry I will watch first one if I find myself missing them to much I”M OUT

22. TvLover says:

I agree with whomever said this is Castle level stupidity. Because it is. Aside from Marcia Gay Harden and Luis Gozman, and William Allen Young, Raza Jaffrey and Bonnie Somerville were the only reasons I watched this first season. So unless they give the newbie characters ( aside from Malia) better storylines. Or they make super surgeon doc less of a d – bag. And bring in better more compelling characters to replace Raza and Bonnie, then I might have to pass.

23. Terri says:

You can’t be serious!! They were two of my favorites (him especially). Why fix something that isn’t broken?! I don’t even like the guy they promoted. Dumb move!! I’m betting there is no Season 3 now!!!! 😡😡😡😡😡

24. Kate Tibbs says:

Seriously?
    Why’d they bother renewing if the were gonna axe two of the best characters – makes no sense.
    Guess keeping viewers isn’t a motivation anymore….

25. And there goes the only reason I watched the show — Raza Jaffery. Buh-bye, Code Black.

26. Robin says:

Aww man! Not pleased with this! I really liked Neal and Christa! I mean that was a central storyline there… 😔

27. bruceeff says:

Oh, great. Now they’ve made the scheming, drug-dealing nurse a series regular too. This show is full of bad ideas today.

28. crc says:

Well I won’t watch now they were the best part!!!

29. Ellie says:

Well, that’s one less show that I’ll be watching this fall. What a ridiculous move. I loved their characters. I’m not interested in the show without them.

30. alanlicious says:

Agree with everyone above! They ditch 2 good actors for 2 pieces of (unlikeable) eye candy characters? Where’s the sense in that? Poor Raza, always gets the short end of the stick (first with SMASH, now this)

31. cjinsd says:

Wow,,,seriously stupid move. I can’t see any reason for watching now.

32. B says:

Ya, won’t bother watching code black next season. I was pretty much only watching for Neal, Christa and Marcia Gay Harden. Bizarre move.

33. dan says:

Really? What a disappointing decision. Feel sorry for Raza Jeffrey: he got saddled with a terrible character and storyline on season one of Smash, then they dumped him before season two (which must have been a blessing in disguise because that show tanked in its second season). I thought he was great in this show and had good chemistry with MGH and BS.

34. westwingwolf says:

Ugh, they were half my reason for watching this show. Spend all season waiting for them to get together, then they finally do, then they break up, and now we’ll never see them get back together. Somebody better drop a line about how they both went off somewhere where they can work together and date. I think they are setting up Campbell for redemption. Seemed like it at least in the finale, so I’m okay with that character sticking around, but the Pickney character was just plain unlikable no matter what. Marcia Gay Harden doesn’t need a co-lead. I don’t care what they think they need to do for a broader audience. Retooling usually makes things worse.

35. Temperance says:

Wow, those are some colossally bad casting changes. I was a fan of the show, especially at first. And they they started to make some (poorly thought out changes), and that seem to be continuing and worsening. CB was far superior to ChiMed, but probably not now.

36. Annika says:

Well I want to frakkin’ curse because I was happy this show got renewed and now they’re taking two of my favorite characters off it.

37. Kailani says:

I’m DONE.

38. Mona says:

CBS is out of their minds! Christa and Neal were the only reason why I watched this show. They were the heart of the series…no I will not be tuning in next season.

39. mikey says:

So last season, CBS had 5 female lead dramas (The Good Wife, Madam Secretary, CSI:Cyber, Supergirl and Code Black) and now in the fall they will only have one. Way to go CBS!

• Temperance says:

CB, Madame Secretary, Supergirl, and Code Black were all renewed. That’s four, not one. (And Cyber was totally, embarrassingly awful – despite a great try by The Beek!). All four are still ead or heavily anchored by women.

• Kalli says:

Supergirl moved to the CW so doesn’t count.

• B says:

Only two: Code Black and Madam Secretary. Super Girl is no longer on CBS, Cyber is gone, Good Wife is done. Not sure what your fourth (CB) is other than repeating Code Black.

• mikey says:

Code Black is looking for a male co-lead, so it will no longer be a female-lead show. Only Madam Secretary will be have a female lead.

40. Melissa says:

One of the stupidest decisions ever made! You want to know the episodes with the best ratings last season? The ones with Christa and Neal heavily featured. Why in the world anyone thought alienating a big chunk of their audience was a good decision is beyond me. I am sure they are doing this to try to get better rating and all this will do is cause the ratings to take a nose dive. I was a loyal fan, campaigned hard for Season 2 and very seriously doubt I will even watch it now. Such a HUGE disappointment!!

• Iris says:

Let’s get rid of what works and keep what doesn’t, said no network/TPTB ever…

Oh, wait.

• Melissa says:

So true! This is show sucide for sure. You can’t always choice your audience and in trying to do so the show needs to remember the new audience they are looking for may not show up and the audience they alienated may no longer care. Which leaves them without an audience. I know I will no longer be watching and there appears to be many others who feel likewise. At the end of the day I feel for Bonnie and Raza who gave this show their all only to axed liked this. They deserved better. Their characters deserved better. The fans deserved better.

41. Baby gate says:

Bonnie and Marcia are the only reason I started watching. And Dr. Will Campbell is the most unlikeable character in the show. So, TBTB were just looking for a certain aestetic? They didn’t like Summerville and Raza as a couple? This makes no sense. And MGH had a love interest and they just wrote him off.

42. mooshki says:

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

43. Et al. says:

Poor Raza is never going to make it to a second season.

44. Stephanie Q. says:

They want to reach a broader audience so they cut two of the best characters and promote two of the worst characters? Christa and Neal are loved members of the team and added depth and a life maturity that the other characters didn’t have. Did some new exec come in and said I want this show to be about hot, young doctors to appeal to the 18-35 demographic so we can sell higher ad dollars? Because that’s the only thing that would explain this ridiculous move. Too bad CBS. I loved this show and was excited to hear about the renewal but now I’m out. Here’s an idea. Do a show that features Christa and Neal now doing a Doctors Without Borders stint. We watch them travel the globe helping to heal on the go. That would be a cool show!

45. DCL33 says:

The hell is up with CBS? Why are they turning all their shows into sausagefests? I mean, what a shock after not picking up a show cause it was too female…

46. Amy H says:

Raza Jaffrey was one of the main reasons I watched the show. This casting change makes no sense at all. I predict ratings drop. Bye Bye Code Black. Someone find Raza a new job, and I’m there!

47. MJ says:

They get rid of 2 of the best characters and promote the 2 worse characters on the show. I hated Boris’ character and Heather…ick.

• Terry B. says:

I am sooo…. disappointed with CBS with this bonehead move. I agree with all these comments of ‘replacing 2 good characters with 2 awful ones. I also hate that CSI Cyber and Mike & Molly were cancelled. If CBS makes more of these stupid choices NBC and ABC will get more viewers switching to them as well as Fox and CW.

48. Sheila says:

Before so many of us dump the show, we really should complain to CBS. Tell them that these changes have made you quit watching. The networks need to know which decisions impact viewership.

49. Nat says:

This is like Shonda deleting Meredith and Derek after the first season of Grey’s.. BADDDD decision!! I don’t really care for watching anymore! They should’ve cut Meagan Good with that permanent frown! Who makes these decisions? Do they know what the viewers like at all??

• Melissa says:

Exactly!! Shonda has made her own share of bad decisions but even she was smart enough to know not to do something like this after only one season! Apparently whoever was involved with this decision is very out of touch with the audience. But then again that is a big reason why broadcast tv is going downhill to begin with, the suits that make these kinds of decisions have no idea what the public actually wants to see.

50. Jess says:

It probably all comes down to money. I agree with it being a stupid move. But I will still be watching since I love Marcia