Homeland Season 6 NYC

Homeland Nearing Two-Season Renewal as Season 6 Is Pushed to '17

Take a deep breath, Carrie Mathison — you’ve got a long road ahead of you.

Showtime is nearing a deal to renew Homeland for Season 7 and 8, the network’s CEO David Nevins announced to Wednesday.

Nevins also confirmed that the show’s upcoming sixth season will not launch in the fall, per tradition. Instead, it will bow in January 2017. (Shameless Season 7 will take over Homeland‘s customary fall perch).

Homeland is a show that is constantly reinventing itself… since it’s very much about this Intelligence world,” Nevins said to reporters during a conference call. “More than most, this is a show that has an open-ended expiration date, just because of the subject matter.”

Homeland‘s sixth season will be set (and shot) in New York City, and will take place during the two month period between Election Day and the swearing in of the new POTUS. “There is this strange period in America where there are 72 days when it’s not exactly clear who’s in charge, and there is a new president that needs to be educated on what it means to be president,” Gansa recently told EW.com. “That is a very complex transfer of power filled with all kinds of anxiety and different competing interests… it’s a dangerous time in our democracy.”

Also on the conference call, Nevins revealed that the Twin Peaks revival will likely bow in “the second quarter” of 2017. Additionally, the exec announced a pilot order for White Famous, a half-hour comedy exec produced by Jamie Foxx and Californication creator Tom Kapinos about a talented, young African-American comedian whose star is rising, forcing him to navigate the treacherous waters of maintaining his credibility as he begins to cross-over towards becoming “white famous.”

1. lululime says:

Wow, Homeland is my favorite show and even I am kind of skeptical of this. Is this through season 9? Does the same deal extend to Claire and Mandy?

• dman6015 says:

“Showtime is nearing a deal to renew Homeland for Season 7 and 8…” I doubt they would renew the show for two more seasons without their two stars. No one would watch if they weren’t in the show.

2. N8frogg78 says:

As long as it can keep pace with the 1st, and last 2 seasons I’m good with the renewal.

3. Guest says:

Normally I’d be excited about this, but first I need to see confirmation of what happened to Quinn.

4. Brian says:

Is Showtime’s Sunday lineup this fall going to be Masters of Sex and The Affair or are one of those sitting out 2016 too?

5. Lorena says:

2017? are you freakiing kidding me? all my shows are pushed to 2017

6. Daphne says:

Entertainment Weekly is reporting a 3-years renewal. Which is it: 2 years or 3 years?

7. Azerty says:

I guess by January 2017 we will know who will be the next POTUS but the episodes must be shot like right now so how is it handled? Are they going to go with a wild guess or the winner will be referred as “mister president”?

8. niloofar says:

Howard Gordon & Gansa will turn it to Showtime’s 24

9. Et al. says:

By the time Twin Peaks premieres it will have been 2 1/2 years since the announcement. Ugh.

10. Maureen says:

Hiatus too long- may lose fans

11. Cas says:

I’m happy Shameless will be back sooner!! :)

12. Kevin K says:

Bummed that the upcoming season of Homeland is going to be pushed until January 2017 and I really hope that the series should end after eight seasons.

13. Christopher says:

I love Homeland and I’m glad it is continuing, but this show would be so much better if it stopped focusing on Carrie Mathison. My preference would be a show based upon Quin if he is still capable of working in the field, or a brand new cast of characters. I like Claire Danes and everything, but Carrie Mathison has just been done to death. I wish they had never made the character bipolar. It made for some interesting episodes early on in this series, but it just makes her situation unbelievable (when she worked for the CIA anyway – no one is going to allow a bi-polar agent who routinely goes off her meds to run field ops). Last season I think the show sent a pretty bad message when it explicitly linked Carrie’s ability to make the connections necessary to save her life to purposefully going off of her medication.

14. Jason Stoesz says:

I lasted two seasons and when Brodie checked out, so did I. I HATE Carrie. Completely unlikable lead character. Haven’t hated a character in a show this much since Andrea in TWD.

15. Tom says:

Not clear who’s in charge? Dude, the new person hasn’t been sworn in yet, it’s pretty clear the old President’s still on the clock, even if they decide to spend it eating doritos on the couch in the residence

• funnibone31 says:

Actually it is pretty ambiguous. The outgoing “lame duck” President has lost many of the intangible benefits of a Presidency but the incoming President-elect is not yet legally empowered to affect policy. So yes, there is potential for a leadership vacuum.

16. CK says:

I’m skeptical. I guess it depends on how the next season goes for me and where they position Carrie. Claire Danes is fantastic, but I just can’t see Carrie being positioned to stop a terrorist threat in 2 successive seasons. She seems like she is sick of the CIA and they’re pretty sick of her as well. The show, imo, needs a grounding/refocusing season. Introduce some new characters, figure out and decide on the will they or won’t they relationship that everyone seems to have with the CIA, and maybe no more unlikable crazy Carrie. It was good early, but it’s starting to bear on being completely unrealistic that anyone would give her a gun.

17. Rae of fakenewspapersdotcom says:

This is good newws! Hope they’ll never fail to get us hooked!