iZombie Video: Rose McIver Talks Liv and Major's Future, Season 3's Big Bad

iZombie won’t be back in our lives until 2017, but star Rose McIver can already say one thing with certainty as we head towards Season 3: “No one wants to get cast as Liv’s love interest. They know where they’re going.”

McIver was, of course, alluding to Lowell (played by Bradley James) and Drake (Greg Finley) — her Season 1 and Season 2 boyfriends, both of whom are now six feet under — when TVLine spoke with her at The CW’s Upfront last week. But what about Major (Robert Buckley), the only one of Liv’s ex-boyfriends left standing?

“I love that they’re friends first,” she said of the former (for now) couple. “They’ve been able to stand by each other through thick and thin.” That said, also McIver admitted, “It’s a really complicated thing — she’s grieving two dead boyfriends. It’s not that easy to jump straight back in with Major. I think they’re really great for each other, and … they love each other.”

But don’t shed too many tears over Liv’s tragic love life; McIver would prefer that you pass your sympathy along to her partner in crime(fighting):

“I was devastated by Drake passing away, but I was equally devastated by Clive Babineaux and his longtime love Dale Bozzio’s breakup,” she confessed. “I just want Babineaux to be happy — bloody Liv, ruining everything by being a zombie.”

Hit PLAY on the video above for our full interview with McIver, which includes a Major tease about Season 3, then drop a comment with your own hopes for iZombie‘s future.

1. Mary says:

I hate that we have to wait so long for the third season, but I’ve already said I’d like to see the iZombie cast as part of Cat Grant’s temporary assistants in the start of the season on Supergirl.

2. I’m not crying too much over Drake (though I did like him) because I’m still too busy crying over Lowell.

3. Carol C says:

A fun interview, but I’m finding it hard to reconcile the difference between the appearance of Rose in person vs Liv on TV.

4. Kim says:

Don’t watch iZombie but maybe this will free up Rose to work as Tinker Bell on Once Upon A Time.

• Pau says:

Nah we want iZombie first, after that she can do some guest on once upon a time, all the showrunners of these shows are friends… But one is on ABC and the other on CW, networks doesn’t like to share their cast… We will see..

5. Pat says:

I am the I Zombie watcher in my house. I usually have to DVR it but I really like it and this is coming from a person who is not into Zombie shows or movies. My husband is the Zombie fanatic with the Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. Rose McIver is absolutely adorable and when she is transformed into Liv, I could never tell that was Rose. Gosh, 2017 for the return of this show, why such a long wait?

6. Pau says:

Well, too bad it is on midseason.. Bad move CW, we want iZombie for the fall damnit !!

7. Z says:

See you in the summer, next to Reign and either the 100 or the Originals!
    To those booing this decision, this is the only way this show could have survived with those horrible ratings, and maybe this way with less competition it will held his own and stay steady.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Summer…?

• Obviously posted by a hater, it was the 5th highest rated show on the network, it didn’t get a Fall slot most likely due to WB-CBS politics and Jane the Virgin, No Tomorrow and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend having to air at some point between September and December to be eligible for both the upcoming Golden Globes and Emmys…

8. I also can’t believe the differences in look between Rose and Liv! (Rose looks adorable.) I am so sad we have to wait till 2017 for another episode. iZombie and The Flash are my two favorite series now. I am excited about Major taking on other characteristics, though. I feel like Liv and Major will end up together in the end.

9. Carrie says:

She’s adorable.This is one of my favorite shows and I wish we didn’t have to wait so long for the new season. I’m just glad it’s been renewed, though. More iZombie is a wonderful thing.