Sense8

TVLine Items: Sense8 EP Exits, Scream After-Show, Mr. Mercedes and More

Yet another twist has taken place behind the scenes of Sense8: Co-creator Lilly Wachowski has stepped down from her producing and directing role on the Netflix drama.

“Lilly needed to take some time off,” series star Jamie Clayton told BuzzFeed News, confirming that Lana Wachowski, Lilly’s producing partner and sister, will helm Sense8‘s Season 2 episodes alone. “Lana is absolutely a superwoman. The way she channels her energy and her creativity … it keeps me in absolute awe whenever I’m in her presence. She’s an absolute force.”

Lilly, who came out as transgender last March, will use the break to focus on her well-being, but BuzzFeed reports that she could return for a potential third season.

This is the second off-screen shake-up to take place during Sense8‘s Season 2 production. British actor Aml Ameen, who portrayed Capheus, was replaced by newcomer Toby Onwumere in April, after Ameen clashed with Lana Wachowski during filming.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* MTV will air a Scream after-show throughout Season 2 of the horror series, hosted by actor/writer Jeffery Self. The first episode will air Monday, May 30, at 12:08 am, following the Season 2 premiere at 11/10c, and will continue periodically during the sophomore run.

* AT&T’s Audience Network has given a 10-episode series order to Mr. Mercedes, an adaptation of Stephen King’s 2014 novel. David E. Kelley will exec-produce the drama, slated for a 2018 premiere, with Brendan Gleeson (the Harry Potter films) and Anton Yelchin (Star Trek Into Darkness) set to star, THR reports.

* A&E’s docuseries 60 Days In returns for Season 2 on Thursday, Aug. 18, at 9/8c.

* Showtime has released a new trailer for its upcoming comedy Roadies (premiering June 26 at 10/9c), embedded below:

1. Joey says:

You threw me a for a loop, there. I didn’t realize that Lilly came out as transgender, too, and thought you were referring to Lana. Good luck to her!

• Sally McLinn says:

Both brothers are now transgender. Strange, isn’t it?

• O'yaya says:

Not really, they are related to each other, your siblings out of everybody else in the world are closest to you genetically. So if one is transgender there is a credible chance the other one is too

• lechatnoir says:

I have never heard this type of bs. So yo theory is that the arquette sisters might be transgender too because they have a sibling who is

• DigificWriter says:

“Both brothers are now transgender”

There is no “now”. They were ALWAYS both transgender… this fact just wasn’t publicly known until 4 years ago for Lana and a few months ago for Lilly.

2. Cornelius says:

I really hope season 2 does good to get a 3rd season it’s one of the better Netflix originals. All these shake ups have me worried though :(

3. Guy says:

A post-midnight after show!? Who’s going to watch this? I’m probably in MTV’s demo and even I’m like Zzzz when the regular show is airing (11pm!). Brother!

• Andrew says:

@ Guy – Yeah, the timeslot sucks. Maybe MTV isn’t expecting much in the ratings department? I”m not sure why they’ve chosen such a late slot.

4. Annie Sisk says:

I’m trying really, really hard not to get worried over s2 Sense8. I’ve been looking forward to it from the second my first watching of s1 ended (and then promptly was followed by my second watching). I hope Lilly does what’s best for her, though, of course. Lana always seemed to be the bigger catalyst for the show’s vision and grand arc, in any event. Just please don’t suck, OK? That’s …. that’s all I’m asking here. Please don’t let it suck.

• Joey says:

I do think though that since Lana and Lilly work together so closely, while Lilly is not going to be hands-on for this season, I’m sure Lana can run things by her for her opinion.

5. Jake says:

10 episodes for Mr. Mercedes? Sounds padded. You can read the book in less time.

• THIS , the books are kinda lazy in my opnion even if i love stephen king , that was like a typical “thriller” book . 10 episodes are way too much unless they decide to add an “origin” story to the main hero (seriously i forget names ) BUT if yeltchin is for the role of the “mr mercedes” that is an awesome choise!

6. Hellas13 says:

They are slowly killing the show.

7. Bark Star says:

Irrelevant. JMS is the talent, not the Wachowskis. They have proven time and again they have none.

• they have a trouble as writers to say a story , as cinematographers are bloody brilliant, you can rant all day for jupiter ascending, or matrix sequels but the camera work and how they manipulate special effects and also create new technology for cinema they deserve great respect (only the new technologies that they created on jupiter ascending is enough to warner to pay them for the rest of their lives)
      BUT yes as storytellers they have big problem and THNK JUPITER for JMS being on sense 8 ( i am finally watching babylon 5 and i am in awe how great writer is JMS and i hate myself cause i was one of those who “rant” on him on “gwen stacy had babies ” )