Maya & Marty Premiere

Maya & Marty Premiere: Tom Hanks, Miley Cyrus Among A-List Guests

Maya Rudolph and Martin Short sure can pick ’em: The dynamic duo have landed Tom Hanks, Jimmy Fallon, Miley Cyrus and Larry David to appear in the first episode of their NBC variety show, Maya & Marty (10/9c, Tuesday), our sister site Deadline reports.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the network didn’t reveal anything whatsoever about what the former Saturday Night Live cast members’ celebrity guests would actually be doing in the premiere.

So what else do we know? The Lorne Michaels-produced series, which also stars another SNL vet, Kenan Thompson, will air “live from New York” — specifically, from Peacock HQ 30 Rock — for six weeks. Also of note: This isn’t Rudolph’s first stab at resurrecting the variety-show genre. Back in 2014, she headlined a well-received pilot for The Maya Rudolph Show that featured, among other skits, the Bridesmaids star and Kristen Bell conjuring up a Frozen sequel.

In addition to his work on Maya & Marty, Short is prepping to play Wilbur Turnblad, the adoring husband of Harvey Fierstein’s Edna in NBC’s upcoming Hairspray Live! with Jennifer Hudson and Derek Hough.

What do you think? Do Rudoph and Short have what it takes to be a Sonny and Cher for a new generation? Will you give the show a try? Hit the comments!

1. Susan says:

I love Martin Short and will be sure to check out this show!

2. texmike says:

I’m in. I like them both.

3. N says:

I like both of them

4. Annie Sisk says:

Too much to hope for that Maya brings her tribute band on for a few Prince numbers?

5. RedDress says:

I adore Martin. I’ve seen the promos, and it’s looks good. But really, Lorne M. needs to stop spreading himself so thin. There *are* other executive producers in our industry, NBC. If this looks like, smells like, and tastes like SNL — it will go no further than 6 weeks.

If it’s picked up, it’s needs to come to west coast and dump the New York flavor. Everything L.M. does smells of SNL.

Good luck to both of them!

• I LIKE THAT THOUGHT AND YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE BUGS ME THEY KEEP REINTRODUCING THE SAME COMEDIANS IN NEW SHOWS AFTER NEW SHOWS AND THE SAME COMEDIANS GUEST STAR IN EACH OTHERS SHOWS AND WHERE ARE THE CHICANOS DAMN IF I DID’NT KNOW BETTER THIS IS ANOTHER TALE OF THE ONE PERCENT OR INDUSTRY NEPOTISM AND DON’T GET ME STARTED ON THE LAUGH TRACKS AND OLD COWS THAT SHOULD BE OUT TO PASTER TEACHING OR STICKING UP FOR FRESH WRITERS OR SOME THING INSTEAD THEY DIE A THOUSAND DEATH ON SCREEN WHILE WE THE LOVERS OF TRUE ARE PAY THE FIERY MAN

6. k says:

Kenan…. god he so bad

7. BillyBobJohnson says:

I like the two of them individually, but I’m just not sure about them together. America just doesn’t have a thing for variety shows. I give it about six episodes.

8. Lyn says:

Miley is A-List???? Don’t think so. I’m all for a variety show, but don’t think these two are the right choice. Maybe NPH would be a better choice than the scenery chewing Mr. Short.

9. AnnieM says:

Love them both. Hoping for some Jackie Rogers, Jr! :-D

10. liame says:

I love Maya and Martin is a hoot! This better be Good.

11. lindae5o says:

Maya looks a lot like Eydie Gorme. The photo looks perfect for an Eydie Gorme/Steve Lawrence lounge act spoof. Oops, I’m showing my age.

12. lindsay freireich says:

Oh I can not wait as I love them both and congrats to a working mom who’s a huge success. Can you add a live studio audience and I would love to see Carol Burnett and Carl Reiner and Dyke Van Dyke and Julie AndrewS. I love Tom Hanks and love jimmy fallon but I wish he would do the skit I gave to him.
    Marty I yelled sequel in Austin and got you to laugh so I am sending more great energy your way and would love to head your officisl site.You make me laugh and brighten my life so I want to give back with bright humor! Say hi to your Stevie! and I also started at disney.
    Break legs and please ask Tom Hanks to read david and goliath :/ go keenan ty NBC

13. Betsy Brass says:

I love them both but the laugh track was completely distracting.