Post Mortems
The Path Season 1 Recap

The Path: Showrunner Dissects the Finale's Big Cliffhanger(s), Answers Burning Season 1 Questions

Hulu’s The Path concluded its engrossing (if occasionally uneven) first season Wednesday with multiple cliffhangers, at least one major head-scratcher and lots of fertile ground to cultivate in Season 2. Below, series creator Jessica Goldberg sheds surprising light on the climactic quasi-resurrection witnessed by Aaron Paul’s Eddie, divulges the foreshadowing embedded within that unholy toast between Sarah (Michelle Monaghan) and Cal (Hugh Dancy), explains why the heck Hawk (Kyle Allen) didn’t follow his dad outta dodge, and drops a tantalizing spoiler about the already-ordered second season.

TVLINE | Is it safe to assume Cal knows nothing about the fact that Steve is very much alive and well?
Cal knows nothing about it. And whether Steve is alive and well [is up for debate], but he’s definitely standing.

TVLINE | Why was Eddie going to see him in the first place?
Eddie, in a funny way, is the one with the most mysticism. Sarah lives with pure faith; it’s in her DNA. And Cal lives with a sort of pragmatist view [mixed] with his own ambition — he wants to believe everything because it serves his own psychological needs. But Eddie — the doubter — is actually the one with the most contact with truth. Since the beginning of the season, he’s been haunted by these visions. And when he leaves [the movement in the finale] and he finds himself haunted again he’s compelled to look for answers.

TVLINE | By the end of the episode, how convinced is Sarah that Cal murdered Silas?
I don’t know about murdered, but she’s convinced she’s been lied to. It’s hard to imagine someone who is your best friend murdering someone. But all is not well.

TVLINE | And does that toast between Sarah and Cal serve as confirmation that she’s essentially turning into him?
That’s a good observation. That bedrock of belief is certainly challenged when it comes to being a leader, [when you] realize that your world may have many chinks in the armor. [The toast] marks the beginning of that journey for her.

TVLINE | How tricky of a balancing act is it to portray Sarah as having this blind faith without her coming off as stupid as these obvious red flags pop up around her?
It’s definitely a hard line to toe… [but] I hope it shines through that she has nuances even though she’s clinging to what she grew up with and what she deeply believes.

TVLINE | I struggled to understand why Hawk — who had already stepped pretty far away from the Light — would not at least express a desire to join his father out the door. Especially after his mother went behind his back to break him and Ashley up. If anything, he goes in the total opposite direction in the finale and affirms his commitment to the Meyerist Movement.
He doesn’t know that his mother did that, which is important. To me it’s a teenage thing. He’s like a [deer in the] headlights [in the finale]. He’s toeing the party line. Ashley blindsiding him caused him to go to the safe nest.

TVLINE | Why wouldn’t Eddie tell him the truth about why Ashley broke up with him?
He’s protecting his wife, who he still loves.

TVLINE | Viewers saw that snake in Eddie’s bed before Eddie himself saw it, which suggests that it wasn’t just something he imagined. Was that ambiguity purposeful?
That was purposeful, yes.

TVLINE | Can you tease anything about Season 2?
There will be a couple of new characters… There may be a bit of romance for Eddie.

1. TV Gord says:

Uneven is a charitable description. I didn’t think I could bail on anything Aaron Paul chose to do next, but I gave up on The Path. I’ll wait and see and maybe catch up down the line.

2. MariaD says:

I really enjoyed this season and I’m looking forward to season 2. I especially like that the Meyerists are not painted in caricature, but are portrayed in nuanced ways. Cal is despicable and yet at moments he does good things, and stands up for good causes.

3. Tammy says:

I loved the first season, especially the relationship between Eddie and Hawk. Aaron Paul is incredible…I did not think I would buy him as a father but he is so great in his scenes with his onscreen kids, I quickly forgot about how young he still looks. Michelle Monaghan did a great job making me hate her character but still be interested in Sarah. I am so glad Eddie is away from her and may find someone better next season!

4. Mike says:

I’m sorry but you can’t have every plot point be a cliffhanger of sorts and then end the season on another cliffhanger! I stuck it through some of the slow episodes this season on the faith (excuse the choice of words) that either something major would happen or some questions would be answered. But now that 10 hours of this show have passed and hardly anything has happened, I am done watching. In fact, I’m a bit mad that I could have saved myself some time.

5. Molli says:

Hawk’s girlfriend is Ashley, not Amy…

6. This is by far one of the best shows from this year. If you gave up after a few episodes, please return. Around episode 4 I became addicted with it. It’s just so, so good. The acting is so intense and I am absorbed and intrigued by this world they live in. Really incredible.

7. Maha says:

Absolutely enjoyed watching the first season. The cast is so good – Michelle Monaghan, Hugh Dancy, and the amazing Aaron Paul, and I look forward to the next season.

8. Rhonda says:

Short & sweet~ I LOVE The Path! The actors, the characters, the story line… Amazing & most importantly~ DIFFERENT!
    Yay for season 2! Woohoo! (:

9. Pelham says:

Compelling series. I’m glad it’s coming back. The takeaway for me is that faith or belief can actually shape reality in the truest sense, even or maybe especially if you try to disavow that belief.

10. Weezy says:

I think this is a very interesting show that doesn’t need some huge premise and non-stop action to be successful. In fact, I wish more TV was like this show in the sense of being highly character driven with alot of nuance (as opposed to the kind of writing I’m used to where they think the audience is a 5 year old and wouldn’t know subtlety if it smacked them in the face).

For me, Sarah is downright unbearable. She lies and lies and lies while chastising people for doing the same and is clearly a gigantic hypocrite (should resonate with the majority of the population). But the fact that I feel so strongly about her indicates what a great job the writers have done unfolding the story. I hope Eddie gets some redemption in Season 2. Also, I don’t think the actor that plays Hawk has much of a future…

11. Maria says:

I am really not a fan of Michelle Monoghan but I think this role gave her so much more depth. She’s gripped by her beliefs and it’s so ingrained in her character that she finally has a role that shows dimension. Aaron Paul is just amazing. I think this show is great. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it. I wish more questions were answered so hopefully season 2 we get them fairly quickly but I can’t wait to see what it has in store for these characters.

12. » Sigyn « says:

I didn’t hate the show but I can’t say I loved it. Cal is the only character I find really interesting, watching him try and try to do the right thing and then succumb to his darkness was heartbreaking ( a really amazing performance from Dancy ). I hate the idea that Eddie’s visions are real ( I thought this show was about a cult and its mechanisms, how(if) it was going to grow and exploring Faith not about a Mystic finding his powers ) … I’m definitely not thrilled about S2. Those “tentalizing spoilers” actually made me lose even more interest.

13. Mary says:

Really hate the new system with the pop-up ad videos you can’t delete or close!!!

14. Suzy says:

I really don´t like how flat some characters are. Sarah seems a bit too moralistic to me, and Cal is always the bad guy. I mean, come on, without Cal, the business man, those would just be bunch of freaks nobody takes seriously. And is it always Cal who gets his hands dirty? Why is he the only “bad guy”? This is stupid. I`m rooting for him, because those good, moral people are really just too boring for me.

15. Robert Richman says:

I don’t get what people see in Hugh Dancy. Admittedlly, while unfamiliar with any of his other work, and aware that his role bordering on that of a sociopath; imo, he’s continually chewing up the scenery. At least Cal is fun to hate.

16. Robert Richman says:

I don’t get what people see in Hugh Dancy. Admittedlly, while unfamiliar with any of his other work, and aware that his role borders on that of a sociopath; imo, he continually chews up the scenery. At least Cal is fun to hate.