The Americans Renewed

The Americans Renewed for Seasons 5 and 6 as FX Sets End Date

The Cold War is nearing its inevitable end.

FX has renewed The Americans for Season 5 and Season 6, with the latter serving as the acclaimed series’ swan song, the cabler announced Wednesday. The 13-episode fifth season will air in 2017, followed by a 10-episode sixth and final season in 2018.

FX co-president Eric Schrier said the two-season order will allow co-showrunners Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields “to tell this story to its perfect conclusion,” adding, “We look forward to a brilliant final act of the Jennings family saga.”

“It’s hard to believe we’re heading into the final stretch on The Americans, and we’re so grateful to know we’ll be telling the story to its conclusion,” said Fields and Weisberg in their own statement. “The best part of the last four years has been the intensive and fruitful collaboration with all of the people who make this show — the teams at FX… our amazing cast, crew, and production team and our fellow writers. It’s a lot of people putting their hearts and souls into The Americans, at this point for a lot of years. We’re looking forward to the final two.”

RELATED Inside Ausiello’s Americans Makeover and Top-Secret Plan to Surprise Stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys

Fields and Weisberg, meanwhile, will continue their relationship with FX beyond The Americans; the pair have closed a new overall deal with FX Productions that calls for them to develop a new series.

The Americans‘ current fourth season concludes on Wednesday, June 8.

1. Michelle says:

No. I dont accept this. I need at LEAST 4 more seasons. Netflix needs to watch this closely. After 2018, we need it back. There are SO many stories left to tell that 2 more seasons cant give us.

• Sara says:

Quality before quantity….I’m happy that they’re planning it ahead.

• Eran says:

Amen, Sara.

• Joey says:

Agreed so much. The Americans is a fantastic show, and I don’t want network greed to ruin it, as it has so many others. I point to Six Feet Under as a show that ended earlier than I would have liked, but it kept its high quality all through its entire run because it ended when the showrunner felt the show had run its course..

2. Alichat says:

Only two more seasons?!! Awww come on!

3. wrstlgirl says:

To be honest I’m kind of surprised it’s getting two more seasons. I love this show but this season doesn’t seem to be really going anywhere. It starts out strong and then just kinda limps along and then there’s a really strong finish.

• Hurl says:

Are you serious? Are we even watching the same show? For me this season had the most interesting and comolex arc, with the Martha thing and Pastor Tim, and also that bacteria that got them sick!

• wrstlgirl says:

Hmmm yes I’m serious. I loved the Martha eps, I’d like to see more of her story in Russia. I could really care less about Pastor Tim and the bacteria story is barely moving forward at all. I’d prefer they spent more time on Stan and his investigating but I suppose they have to drag that out because if he figures it out the show would be over.

4. johnhelvete says:

So a show gets two more seasons and 23 episodes to end the story, and posters on here are still complaining because all shows need to last 9 seasons or more?

5. Phillip says:

Great news!! Happy the writers get to finish the show on their terms!

6. MPW says:

I love love this show and I’m ok with this. Hopefully they ramp things up with Stan (FBI) and see if he starts putting the puzzle together. To be honest, even though to me its one of the best shows on TV for the last 4 years, I always felt like it could get the ax at anytime because of ratings. Props to FX for keeping the show alive and setting up a 2 season story line to finish.

• Kiwi3 says:

This was always my fear too. So glad that it’s been renewed even with the knowledge of the coming end.
      I’m happier with creators having a set end date instead of giving into greed because so often the quality falls apart along with the expanded quantity.
      Absolutely love this series. So intelligently written, acted, directed. I also love the attention to detail. I was a teen in the 80’s, probably the same age as Paige, so it really impresses me how much of the details like set design, hair and makeup, etc they get right.

7. Drew says:

So happy to see there will be a planned conclusion. I love this show so much – I can’t think of any other drama that has as many intense inner monologues as this one. One day there needs to be a Pop-Up Video special that shows us what Elizabeth, Phillip, Paige et al were thinking as they silently glared, stared, and otherwise just amazed us without saying words, sometimes for half a minute or more…

8. SW says:

I had a feeling this was going to be a six-season run, and I’m perfectly fine with that. If this show had been on any other network, it would’ve been cancelled years ago because of the lower ratings. I’m so happy FX has supported this show like they always have, and is allowing these showrunners, and the cast, to tell a complete story.

• JBC says:

Totally Agree. FX did it right for show and fans. (Maybe FX will consider picking up the cancellled ABC’s The Family).

• BotP says:

I agree too. Actually, I was a little surprised they still had 2 seasons planned out (I thought they only wanted to do a last one), so I’m happy we get more than I imagined. It’s really nice of FX to keep supporting this high quality show despite the moderate number of (but very dedicated) viewers…
        I wish FX would pick up the cancelled ‘Hannibal’ TV series and give it some more seasons too. That’s also a unique TV show with a great cast&crew and a small, but very enthusiastic fanbase.

9. dman6015 says:

The executives at FX should give some pointers to their counterparts over at Fox on how to gracefully end a popular show.

10. asm says:

I really really really hope that it doesn’t end with a climax like The Breaking Bad. Stan/FBI needs to know in early season 5, and the rest of the episodes should deal with stories that will surprise us. Examples : They become a fugitive, the daughter become a spy, they come to russia, and it’s the FBI time to be the “Russians”, etc, etc.. I hated how The Breaking Bad ends. Because it’s just that. The end. It should be something more.

11. Tim says:

The ratings are really low so we are lucky to hear such wonderful news.

• OBXconsumer says:

More people are watching the whole series now that Amazon stopped charging for seasons 1 thru 3 and you can watch season 4 on FXNOW

12. Simona says:

Fantastic news, they can go out on their own terms, love this show!

13. Wordsmith says:

I wonder what their endgame is. At this rate, unless they do some major time jumps, they won’t reach the end of the Cold War (it’s now late-1983 in the show, so there’s about 8 years left until the fall of the USSR.)

14. Jerry says:

Just curious: do people want to see Philip and Elizabeth get away at the end, or ultimately be caught by Stan? I love watching them, but still think they need to be caught at the end.

• drb999 says:

I’ve always thought that it would be interesting if one or both of them were nabbed by the FBI in secret and turned into double agents.

• Chloe says:

I definitely want Stan to catch them! I feel exactly as you do – I love watching them but they need to be caught. And I wouldn’t mind if Paige fell in a deep hole somewhere, never to be heard or seen again. LOL

• OBXconsumer says:

Stan will catch them and let them go because by then he will be just as disenchanted with the US as Elizabeth and Philip are with Russia.

15. Rodline J Ulysse says:

Hell yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Diego says:

Happy to know we still have two seasons to enjoy, sad because i wished they were more. Such a great show!

17. TVg says:

it stated really good ,and from season to season it’s going down and down, it become soap opera and not action drama

• Spence says:

Not accurate at all. The Americans is one of the few shows that has consistently improved every season and gotten even better and more dramatically captivating every year. Very happy to hear this glorious show will be given a proper conclusion and that it follows the vision of the writers- a rare feat for most TV.

18. Diz says:

I’m thankful for them letting every1 know when the end will be so they can properly conclude it.

19. Ty says:

I believe a lot more shows should do this. Go out on top. Stop with these long, 22 episode seasons broken up into 2 and 3 parts that go on for 15 years

20. malaspina1 says:

The show gets better and better.Keri Russell is great.I would love the show to go on and on but it is wise to produce two more quality seasons and bring the story to a close.

• OBXconsumer says:

Keri Russell has really gotten a career boost with this show. Her acting is superb – no longer known as the girl who ruined her career when she cut her beautiful hair off. I am even trying to find shows with her in it because she is so good. You can catch her in Dark Skies and Mission Impossible III.

21. Buck Hoffman says:

Absolutely the best show on television. One of the best in the past 20 years.

22. vinz says:

Great Show !! I’m glad to see that this won’t be prematurely ended.

23. OBXconsumer says:

Seriously – we have to wait until 2017? That is too long. The momentum will be gone.

24. beverly says:

I love this show. I don’t want them to get killed or go to prison! I hope they just get sent back to Russia at the end.

25. mary Trotter says:

what date starts new season

26. Christopher says:

As much as I Love this series I’m very glad that the writers apparently know their lane and when to end a good thing before it gets too drawn out and watered down. Instead of dragging it out and ruining the whole thing they’re leaving a period price where it should be.

27. Barbara says:

Best show on TV

28. Sue says:

When is the season 5 air date? Of the Americans on FX

29. Jean says:

Love this show, smart, great writers and great actors. It’s been very enjoyable, I
    will be sad to see it go.

30. Wendell C. Rudacille says:

The polygraph scenes were moronic. Who is the tech advisor for that? I’ve been doing polygraphs for over 30 years and you people don’t have a clue. Very amateurish.